Buddhism In Thailand

Nam Kao

I am Christian, I believe in Jesus but not in the rip off Churches that have

sprung up around the world ripping off people in his fathers name.

I like Buddhisms peaceful nature and so on but it seems a small percentage

of Thais apply the teachings of Buddha to their lives.

Oh sure they visit the Wat etc but as soon as they are out they go back to a

lifestyle that would be looked apon badly by Lord Buddha.

I always think what a wonderful country this would be if even 25% of the

people "walked the walk".

Any thoughts?

thx

nam

Also, there is a big difference between monks and laypeople, as there is in Christianity. Furthermore, there is no concept of 'sin' which might incur the wrath of an almighty being. This is not to say Buddhists don't have morals, but it is more a matter of creating your own Karma rather than securing a place in heaven or he!!, I guess.

Don't be too harsh on people. Jesus, Muhammad, Siddhartha Gautama were true giants amongst humanity. They were examplars - truly rare individuals who absolutely transcended the limitations of human nature. The movements that sprang up in their names were/are populated by people who are imperfect, who are subject to the limitations of human nature. Ideally such followers aspire to emulate their role models but even at best are likely to fall far short.

You say you are Christian, that you 'believe in Jesus'. Have you given away all your possessions, sold all you have and gave to the poor, left your family to follow The Lord? Thought not.

Lord Buddha gave the same conditions for his followers - if they are to be fully committed to his path they must relinquish all attachments to possessions and people. It is no easier for a Thai to do this than an American or Brit.

But the Church does offer you (ideally) the opportunity to become more Christ-like. So too the Sangha offers Thais the opportunity to be more Buddha-like. The greater the committment one puts in the greater the benefits in terms of mental tranquility and future lives, but the degree of committment has to be one's own free choice - it is not for anyone else to judge. Lord Buddha never actually 'looked badly' on anyone's life - he was compassionate!

I was interested in Christianity when I was about 12. I used to belong to a Christian group. I went to Christian camps in Wales every summer. Lots of singing, reading the bible etc.

The problem was that I could never buy into this 'being saved' thing where your sins are removed by 'believing some dogma'. I felt if something is absolutely true then it would be illogical for the whole of the Universe to dependent of one event is space and time - i.e. Jesus dying.

It didn't make sense that an all Loving God would create a universe where 99% of the people would be condemned to an eternity of h€ll and suffering.

If you strip away all the dogma and listen to what Jesus taught you will find that it is not too different from Buddhism. Jesus’s message was simple - seek the 'Kingdom of Heaven'. This is the same as seek Nirvana. If you re-read the bible armed with the concept of Enlightenment then it all begins to make a lot more sense.

Another word for an enlighened Christian is a Saint. Another word for h€ll is rebirth.

Whereas Buddhists believe in cycles of rebirth, Christians believe in one life after which you will be judged. So the Christian concept of judgement if heavy and final, in Buddhism it is part of an ongoing process, 'sins' don't need to be forgiven, but will inform the future karma, i.e. life circumstances in this life or further down the line.

It is easy to misunderstand, I recommend reading some of the other threads in this forum where this is elaborated by others, 'rebirth' is one of them.

Both Christians and Buddhists have fallen into the view that "we can't achieve what we should in this life, maybe it will be OK in the next life".

In the Middle Ages the Church had a roaring trade in "tickets to heaven" and would burn at the stake anyone who threatened this. Sins could be forgiven by the simple measure of paying the church some cash (an indulgence).

The problem in the west is that this corruption of spiritual teaching has been unmasked, and has left the 'man in the street' a sceptical non-believer.

In the east religion has not be so corrupted by power. However, the 'old ways' are associated with a life of poverty in contrast to the shining lure of western materialism and luxury.

Religions in the east and west both need to be rediscover their true nature. People will find that although money can buy happiness, it cannot buy eternal bliss. That requires spiritual development - in this lifetime.