Dogs In Thailand

Yes you are probably right! - She seems to grow her coat in the summer and lose it in the winter - although she has managed on her tour of much of the world - good news re the snakes though... she's scared of anything that moves - sheep included!

Thanks for replying, i just like to know exactly (or as near as possible) what to expect before taking the plunge.

Knowing how there is several dogs on each street that run in packs I would say within 4 months the collie will end up dead by attack. Seen to many people bring dogs to thailand just to have them vicously attacked by several dogs right in front of shopping centers. You will need to watch your dog more than a child. It will be a living he** for your dog. Most dogs in thailand stay outside 24/7 so traveling or

staying in hotels may not allow you to do so easily. What a nightmare you are creating for yourself and the dog.

Knowing how there is several dogs on each street that run in packs I would say within 4 months the collie will end up dead by attack. Seen to many people bring dogs to thailand just to have them vicously attacked by several dogs right in front of shopping centers. You will need to watch your dog more than a child. It will be a living he** for your dog. Most dogs in thailand stay outside 24/7 so traveling or

staying in hotels may not allow you to do so easily. What a nightmare you are creating for yourself and the dog.

i second that thought, i had two border collies myself a few years back.

The Thai street muts don't look so formidable but are hardened by vicious street life. A Farang dog won't stand a change it you let him out. So staying in the own yard would be a prerequisite.

A friend of mine has a Malinois Shepherd (belgian version of a german shepherd) and he does quite well but a least he's twice as big as the rest of the neigborhood.

He also has a lot of problem with the heat sometimes.

A rotweiler or similar also will do good but a border collie ?

Really made for a cold and rainy climate like wales or scotland. Then they have energy for hours :o. Don't you have a problem with them getting bored ?

I had to buy a second one just to keep the first one occupied :D , otherwise i just wouldn't get them to sleep in the evening.

If it's a her I would be more worried about getting knocked up by some soi stud if she aint been spaded . Pardon the pun, but it is a dog eat dog world in Thailand . Get your hound a friend, Aussie cattle dog, blue heeler, would show soi dogs what is what :o

Serioulsy, though, u are moving from the Uk if i rememeber rightly ? Think about the quarantine restrictions on bringing your dog back .

If you must move to Thailand, it would be much kinder to find your dog a good home back in the UK. Have seen loads of people bring their beloved pets from the UK & non of them ever thrive, in fact just the opposite plus as has been previously said, the packs of soi dogs would show your pet NO mercy; these boys play for keeps & you wouldn't be able to take your eyes off him!

If you must move to Thailand, it would be much kinder to find your dog a good home back in the UK. Have seen loads of people bring their beloved pets from the UK & non of them ever thrive, in fact just the opposite plus as has been previously said, the packs of soi dogs would show your pet NO mercy; these boys play for keeps & you wouldn't be able to take your eyes off him!

Absolutely agree.

If you want a dog when you get here - assuming you are going to live here - then Chatuchak market will sort you out. But look at other threads re vaccination, etc.

The cobra story is true, a friend of mine, who ocassionally posts here, had a beautiful dog who was almost certainly bitten by a snake. Remeber that Thailand is the world centre for poisonous snakes. And dogs do love to nose around in the undergrowth.

Pardon the  pun, but it  is a dog  eat dog  world  in Thailand .

Actually it is "Man eat Dog" world up in the north!!

Very tasty I am told.

On the snake side, there are python's around that can manage to swallow a small dog,

a collie would probably be to big, but might fit in at a squeeze,(or after a squeeze?)

Edited by astral

It's very simple really insn't it. You are unwise to keep a dog Thai or Farang without a gated yard. Obviously this stop fights, unwanted litters and reduces risk of disease. Anybody who knows anything about dogs would be able to tell you that the dogs in the soi would fight a little with any new dog to establish pecking order and then life as normal. I have German Sherherds, Belgian Mallinois and American Pit Bulls ... and of course an eight foot fence. Keeping a dog in Thailand is the same as keeping a dog anywhere but with the added problem of skin diseases in rainy season and poor appetite due to heat. Take 'em swimming to increase appetite and keep the mange out with monthly preventative treatment during rainy season. I live really far out in the sticks and yep we have snakes but what you really need to worry about is cane toads - abundant even in Pattaya and iresistable to a dog's curious mind.