Boarding Pass Required . . .

How can they get stamped in without a recent exit stamp in their passort from the country they are supposed to have come from.

Er, the UK (and many other countries) don't give exit stamps, additionally, you can change planes at an airport in Singapore for example without entering the country so no exit stamp. :o

How can they get stamped in without a recent exit stamp in their passort from the country they are supposed to have come from.

Australia does not stamp Oz passports.

At Suwarnabhumi, boarding pass requirement is clearly displayed at all Immigration counters. Passport, Boarding pass and return ticket.

I have never been asked for anything other than passport and that Thailand entry form.

Edited by think_too_mut

At Suwarnabhumi, boarding pass requirement is clearly displayed at all Immigration counters. Passport, Boarding pass and return ticket.

I have never been asked for anything other than passport and that Thailand entry form.

A friend arrived from Melbourne last night and he *was* asked for his boarding pass at immigration

Er, the UK (and many other countries) don't give exit stamps, additionally, you can change planes at an airport in Singapore for example without entering the country so no exit stamp. :o

Yes this is all good and well if you are a passport holder of the said country, a thai could go through and walk back via immigration without any issues since they live in the country! However if you hold a foreign passport they will want to see evidence that you have left the country before giving you another stamp/visa to let you back in for another amount of time.

Me and my wife one time here in Lao attempted to take trip to Singapore however the plane from Vientiane had a mechanical issue and basically meant we would miss our connecting flight in BKK to SIN. So we decided get the bags of the plane and change the tickets for a later date, I thought we'd just pass back through the visa/immigration and they'd stamp us in - nope they just restamped the passports and wrote on we hadn't left the country.

So just because you pass through passport control doesn't mean they will just stamp you back in and give you another 30 day stamp/visa.

However my point still stands that if this is a requirement there needs to be forewarning on the aircraft to ensure you keep you board pass stub to hand for the immigration. :D

The only experience I have had (that I remember) is being asked for my boarding pass at DM to make sure I was supposed to de-board arather than stay on and continue to the next stop for that flight (Dubai-BKK-HK if memory serves).

Not true. I have an Oz passport with at least a dozen inward or outward stamps.

They will sometimes ask you if you want the outward (departed) stamp.

I always had to ask - got fined once for no-show at (Federal) polls, could not (easily) prove I was out of the country.

Once, a trainee (supervised by senior officer) was at the counter and I asked for my stamp - he said "we don't stamp Oz passports".

Then I turned to the officer and she said "we don't stamp Oz passports".

I said why I wanted the stamp but still : "we don't stamp oz passports".

previous reports on TV has alluded to the fact that bording passes have been asked for due to the fact that people have been doing 'visa runs' in the airport. ie. checking in, not boarding the plane, and then somehow making it to the arrivals hall and re-entering Thailand, probably with a little help from a dodgy airport employee. ie. the person never went anywhere.

Hence, immigration - a sepearate department to AOT are cracking down to catch these people out.

As for reporting addresses, that is pretty standard wherever you go. The US and the UK are particularly inistant that you know where you are staying the first night from my own personal experience.

I don't think that is the reason.

I recently traveled to Hong Kong with my Thai wife and upon arrival in Thailand she was also asked for her boarding pass. She has a habit of keeping it with all documents (and taught me to do the same) simply because we have had problems with Thai Airways and registering of air miles.

I have no idea why Thai immigration want to see a boarding pass but then I am always surprised in Thailand at what documentation the different authorities want to see.

i have always been asked to show my arrival boarding pass since my first trip to thailand in 2001

Where are you flying from?

Jordan on Royal Jordanian,

Interesting. Do they also ask for onward tickets as well? Just once for both in about a dozen flights from me.

i have always been asked to show my arrival boarding pass since my first trip to thailand in 2001

I’ve had the same experience for as many years flying in from the Middle East at both DM and Swampy. The boarding pass was required to be shown at the top of the ramp as I left the aircraft.

I can only speculate that this was to separate the transit passengers from arriving ones as the flight continued onwards to other destinations.

So far I haven’t been asked to show an onward ticket although on my last arrival from Australia I was asked to show my boarding pass at the immigration counter.

Well after a very comfortable trip back from Sydney to Bkk in a very nice 777 in Business Class we wander up to passport control. First thing that ticked me off was that the 'Fast track' for Business Class passengers no longer exists or First Class as far as I could see, but anyway there was minimal queues anyway being pretty much first off the plane.

As normal handed over the passports for me and the wife (complete with arrival forms) to the women at the counter the conversation went like this:

women: where is your boarding pass?'

me: on the plane in the pocket of the seat that was in front of me.

women: <big sigh> <tut> <rolling eyes> why?

me: well because I have no need for it

women: where have you come from?

me: Sydney, flight TG994

women: <looks around> <more tuts> <examines both passports with great intensity>

Eventually after several minutes of deliberating and general pissing about she decided to stamp our passports and let us through. Me having a UK passport (with lots of Thai stamps) and my wife being Lao I wasn't expecting any favours. I thought at one stage she was going to tell me go back and get the passes!!

So what the hel_l is this all about?!?! Why do I need my Boarding Pass at Passport Control??? I have NEVER in ANY airport (and I've been quite a few!) needed my boarding pass to get through passport control!

BKK seem to have rules upon themselves - just like the pictures at passport control - no other airport I know of requires this.

The flight out to Sydney had an equally bizarre occurance at boarding time we left the lounge and wander down to the gate passing through the security and fluids check. We reached the gate (about 100m walk) to be greeted by a huge queue at the top of the stairs of the gate - ANOTHER fluids check!?!? Was this one to check for incompetance at the one we had passed through not 5 minutes before??

:o Thought we had gone through this topic before.

I was asked for my boarding pass in October just after the new airport opened. It is part of the of the nornal immigration process now. The last time I came through BKK immigration (June this year) they checked my boarding pass against what I had written on my immigration arrival card . Don't know why they do it, but the boarding pass is used to verify that you actually came on the flight you claim to have arrived on. On the Thai flight I was on in June, it was specifically mentioned that we should have our arrival cards and our boarding pass with us as we left the plane. This was announced as we were landing.

Also remember that those without visa (30 day stamp on arrival) may be asked for a onward ticket by the immigration. it has happened to me once in the last 18 months, but I know they don't usually ask. Be aware that they can ask if they want to ask.

:D

Where are you flying from?

Jordan on Royal Jordanian,

Interesting. Do they also ask for onward tickets as well? Just once for both in about a dozen flights from me.

no onward ticket nothing, just the small peace of the boarding pass stating where i have been sitting, and passport