New Drug - Chantix

hmficc

It works great. After about a week you lose all interest in smoking. It works by blocking the receptors in the brain the smokes light up. Down side $$$ about $120 a month. And about 30% of people have upset tummy-mild. Not sold in Thailand. Do not know about EU. more info : XXXXX

It works great. After about a week you lose all interest in smoking. It works by blocking the receptors in the brain the smokes light up. Down side $$$ about $120 a month. And about 30% of people have upset tummy-mild. Not sold in Thailand. Do not know about EU. more info : xxxxx

Generic version at Silom 380Baht/month supply.

Nice try

• 3 months later...

Chantix (Vareniclise) is amazing. It realy does work. I'm 7 weeks clean and it ( smoking) was "wipped" from my mind ( after a couples on the pill) and I know I no going back. Now the fact that I'm growing a third arm out my back....(joke :o )

It is pricy, but heck my lungs feel better and I can taste food again!

My 2 cents

• 5 months later...

PLEASE tell us WHERE in Silom!! Thanks!

I wrote to Pfizer Thailand last year and was told it was expected here about now. PLEASE! (And 380 baht does not sound like it would be Pfizer but do also tell where the manufacturer was for the Silom product -- and assure us it worked for you! I am not at all below using generics ... in fact, prefer it if they are good products!)

It works great. After about a week you lose all interest in smoking. It works by blocking the receptors in the brain the smokes light up. Down side $$$ about $120 a month. And about 30% of people have upset tummy-mild. Not sold in Thailand. Do not know about EU. more info : XXXXX

I went to sleep on a Friday night about two weeks ago and told myself I had just smoked my last cigarette - after smoking up to two packs a day for the past 42 years the idea of stopping seemed improbable. Now, two weeks on I have not smoked and have not wanted to and I'm surprised at how easy the whole process is. My mood is much better and I am much happier, I can breathe more completely and I can taste food once again - interestingly also is the fact that that the surface of my skin is no longer constantly salty when I perspire hence my bed sheets no longer have that stained appearance from sweating at night. Yes I eat more but I balance that with more exercise and no I am not cranky, if anything I am far more happier than before. It's an odd set of sensations and not a bit like I thought it would be - forget Champix et al and just stop, it really is quite a pleasant experience and I'm asking myself why I didn't do this sooner.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

All I can say is that I, a 35-year smoker, started Chantix back in February (took it for 2 of the 3 month course) and haven't had a cigarette since. With my health insurance it cost about $30 a month. In the past I've tried the patch, the gum and the lozenges. I was prepared for a relapse when I visited Thailand back in March as almost everyone I know in Thailand is a smoker, but I just didn't have the desire for a cig. I did have mild side effects - light nausea within an hour of taking the tablet and the "vivid" dreams. Did not suffer any serious depression or aggressive thoughts. But those considering Chantix/varenicline definitely should read the FDA links previously posted as well as this article: Chantix safety at the US Veterans Affairs Health Service

Edited by rampo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have been smoke free for 3 weeks as of today and I went off the wagon... again. I am desperate to try anything is this 'silom' real? Or is this a joke? I know Chantix is real however as Chantix is a new drug and not off patient I know there is no actual generic so, what is silom?

I have been smoke free for 3 weeks as of today and I went off the wagon... again. I am desperate to try anything is this 'silom' real? Or is this a joke? I know Chantix is real however as Chantix is a new drug and not off patient I know there is no actual generic so, what is silom?

Silom is a street in Bangkok, the poster who mentioned Silom was trying to say that Chantix can be bought somewhere on Silom (Road).

However the fact that he/she said no more makes me wonder if they where telling the truth. If chantix was available in Bangkok then I think that we would know by now.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The drug is called Champix here and Chantrix in the sates (why...I have no idea).

It IS avalable in Thailand. Although the Doctors still dont know much about it. I got it from Bumrungrad, over 4,500 Baht for a 5 week supply, not cheap...but what price is your health worth?

I am on day 10....if I have a ciggarette now I feel physically sick......so I am getting there...but its a slow process, but then I was on 40 a day !

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I am on day 15 now with Champix, 7 without a ciggie. This after smoking 20-30 a day for 20 or so years.

I was one of the lucky ones who hasn't really suffered from the negative side-effects of the drug. I did feel very nauseous one day but then halved the dosage and was fine.

I am not finding the actual withdrawal itself not as easy as some though. I still have strong cravings for a smoke and am feeling very irritable. Even my vision seems impaired, which might have something to do with difficulty in concentrating.

Still, it seems to be doing it's job OK and so hopefully the withdrawal symptoms will begin to fade sooner rather than later

• 1 month later...

I used this medication also.....I smoked 3 packs a day....18 days into medication I was down too 3 cigs a day called it cold turkey

and now its been over 2 years of living smoke free..................Great feeling..Yes Ive heard of the side effects of this certain drug but some how

It did wonders for me....I think....maybe some good will power and family support also helped but I'm so so so so so Glad I don't smoke anymore and I must say Chantix was a great aid ..now this weight gain issues has me working out daily..up to 80 correct military push ups a day 6 days a week and 50 sits ups and the other usuall jumping jacks and that sort of daily routine..Ill be 50 in Dec and the plans are of me making a you tube video at

age 50 doing 50 non stop military push ups ...all in fun of course..

Best wishes and Hope too all....

Edited by Americanmade

BEST ADVICE GO SEE A LOCAL DOCTOR FOR HELP FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually think this drug has been removed from the market (USA) but has been replaced with a safer drug

..I think....

Edited by Americanmade

BEST ADVICE GO SEE A LOCAL DOCTOR FOR HELP FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually think this drug has been removed from the market (USA) but has been replaced with a safer drug

..I think....

...........which explains why it is now for sale in Thailand :):D

• 3 weeks later...

..I think....

...........which explains why it is now for sale in Thailand :):D

Just back from USA. It is still sold and my Dr. is a big fan. It worked for me. I am a big fan. I keep a month on hand as "stupid" insurance.

Read up. Ever drug is also a poison. This one could save your life.

have some question about champix

lets say if i start taking pill from tomorrow and its not going to work from day 1.so i will feel like having a smoke,and will smoke also (less than regular)dose this make any reaction with anti-smoking pills and smoke again in body?

dose alcohol causes any reaction when you are on medication

please advice,i think its my turn to quit now

• 3 weeks later...

OK guys the correct name is Champix and imported by Pfizer (Thailand) from Pfizer (Germany) I actually went to Phuket International Hospital to see a doctor and he is the one who recommended them he said it would cut out the craving for nicotine.

Come this Monday I will have been taking them for 4 weeks, The doctor bye the way also checked me out before giving me any tablets, everything was OK to my surprise, somethings you just don't want to know.

I have gone from 60 B&H a day maybe 80 if I was in a good mood down to none some days and 1 or 2 at most a day for me they have defiantly worked, in a way that I don't feel the need to smoke.

The only side effects if any are a slight headache in bright sunlite but personally I think it is more the withdrawl symptoms of not smoking rather than the tablets dont forget you are asking your body to do something you have not done for a long time.

Maybe it's better you have a check up before taking them, maybe if you had high blood presure or something it could cause some side effect I dont know.

OK great the tablets are working but I also think it takes a great deal of effort from you, dont sit around find something to do break the habits that you had before like when you wake in the morning 6am you make a coffee and light a fag have one more.

Also you dont want to put on weight they say the average person puts on 5kg in a month my friend has in the last month, so work out a diet and exercise program I have been for a swim everyday since i stopped go for a walk, and today I ride my bike for the first time for ages, so Saturday morning I wake at 6am have a coffee and take shower and off I went on my bike down the beach and back about 10km then jump in the pool and swim for 30 minutes.

I now feel 10 times better and fitter so lets say the tablets worked, give them a try and also I always used to say you have to stop drinking as well, I have had a few drinks and to no effect on me what was good about going to the bar was sitting there with everybody smoking and I never had one fag and it didnt bother me was that the tablets I ask.........?

Must be working coz all the ladies say where you go Handsome Man and we all know Thai ladies not lie

Good luck to everyone who tries.

• Like 1

I am in Cambodia and just ran across this post. I smoke 3 packs per day, drink 15 beers and use drugs sometimes. The beers and the drugs dont bother me so much as the cigs. I chain smoke from wake-up till I pass out. I will try to see if this medicine is available. Thank you for the info.

I'm a 30 years smokers and I'm very excited about the possibility to quit smoking with the help of this drug. In the past I've read some alarmistic posts about Chantix and the side effects. I checked already the FDA and wiki links. Just not so clear if these side effects are common or just sporadic, I mean a rare occurrence or common with the users. Or more connected with the nicotine craving.

Sound great, I'm a non smoker anyway, but this great News for heavy smokers that want to quit. Now do anyone out there that know a drug that is combine with a little excrise and diet that will do like wise with little if any side effect. :):D:D

I'm a 30 years smokers and I'm very excited about the possibility to quit smoking with the help of this drug. In the past I've read some alarmistic posts about Chantix and the side effects. I checked already the FDA and wiki links. Just not so clear if these side effects are common or just sporadic, I mean a rare occurrence or common with the users. Or more connected with the nicotine craving.

My side effects were awful...but that may because I am on a cocktail of tablets for heart, liver and diebetis.

I want to start them again despite the nightmares and halucinations, but I now have another illness and am taking steroids as well...so I am just gonna have to wait till things get better. :)

At the end of the day three months of pain may give me many more years of life so the risk is worth it...but not yet.

I am so pleaed to hear the drug has worked so well for many of you :D

• 6 months later...
OK guys the correct name is Champix and imported by Pfizer (Thailand) from Pfizer (Germany) I actually went to Phuket International Hospital to see a doctor and he is the one who recommended them he said it would cut out the craving for nicotine.

Come this Monday I will have been taking them for 4 weeks, The doctor bye the way also checked me out before giving me any tablets, everything was OK to my surprise, somethings you just don't want to know.

I have gone from 60 B&H a day maybe 80 if I was in a good mood down to none some days and 1 or 2 at most a day for me they have defiantly worked, in a way that I don't feel the need to smoke.

The only side effects if any are a slight headache in bright sunlite but personally I think it is more the withdrawl symptoms of not smoking rather than the tablets dont forget you are asking your body to do something you have not done for a long time.

Maybe it's better you have a check up before taking them, maybe if you had high blood presure or something it could cause some side effect I dont know.

OK great the tablets are working but I also think it takes a great deal of effort from you, dont sit around find something to do break the habits that you had before like when you wake in the morning 6am you make a coffee and light a fag have one more.

Also you dont want to put on weight they say the average person puts on 5kg in a month my friend has in the last month, so work out a diet and exercise program I have been for a swim everyday since i stopped go for a walk, and today I ride my bike for the first time for ages, so Saturday morning I wake at 6am have a coffee and take shower and off I went on my bike down the beach and back about 10km then jump in the pool and swim for 30 minutes.

I now feel 10 times better and fitter so lets say the tablets worked, give them a try and also I always used to say you have to stop drinking as well, I have had a few drinks and to no effect on me what was good about going to the bar was sitting there with everybody smoking and I never had one fag and it didnt bother me was that the tablets I ask.........?

Must be working coz all the ladies say where you go Handsome Man and we all know Thai ladies not lie

Good luck to everyone who tries.

Hello,

I.m now in phuket and want to go to the international ospital for get chantrix. Can you tell me what I have to do and what is the name of the dottor who gives you chantrix.

Thanks forward for your answer

The tradename Chantrix (USA) or Champix (EU) they may not know, but they should be able to find it under Varenicline.

You actually smoke for 6-10 days while a level of the drug builds up in your body, so that it isn't such a shock when you pick a day to stop.

The only side effect I had was some really weird dreams early on and the headaches, which I think are more the nicotine withdrawal than effects of the drug.

If you want to give up but find it very hard, then this may well be the impetus that you need. It really works.

Pros: Not hacking up crap every morning, tasting food properly, smelling a bit nicer; much more energy and breath.

Cons: You will put on weight (nicotine is an appetite suppressor) so exercise and eat properly if you want to avoid that, and you may find, to put it as diplomatically as I can, that you don't have your usual morning constitutional that soon after waking up (nicotine also stimulates the digestive tract!).

I consulted both my GP and dietician while going through this, and did put a bit of weight on because I'm a lazy bastard, but funnily enough everyone says I look a lot healthier for it (except the bloody dietician with her magic sodding fat detection machines!).

Did you know the recommended portion size for steak is the size of a deck of cards? Yeah, I think that sucks as well.

*** Forgot to mention that the nausea of which people speak I did experience at first, too. Discovered that this is down to taking the medication on an empty stomach. Eat your first or last meal of the day 15-20 minutes before you take the tablet and you should not have this problem. (The dosage is normally morning and night, roughly 12-hour intervals).

Edited by Chicog

• 1 year later...

I like Farang Red's post.

Champix (Chantix in the US) is available in most big pharmacies in BKK and the cost is 1500 baht. You have to buy a starter pack and at least one follow up pack for the same price. Ideally you should see your doctor before you start because of possible interaction with other drugs you might take.

and as with every drug, you have to take it easy on the alcohlic beverages in order to avoid unpleasant side effects.

but I have no problems with a couple of drinks in the evenings, whilst taking Champix.

It really works and cuts your desire to smoke a great deal. Of course, your will and commitment to stop plays an important role.

when I was described Champix by the doctor at Samitiveij hospital the first time, I went down from 2-3 packs a day to 1 pack a week!

But I was stupid not to stop completely (one of the reason also being that the drug costs 150-250 dollars in the US.

Now, 6 months later I bought Chantix again and just smoked my last cigarette yesterday. we'll see if my willpower is strong enough this time.

• 10 months later...

I used Chantix when it first came out in 2005 and it worked like a charm with no side effects, got it from a neighbor who said it made him feel suicidal. Now 6 years later after losing first Pop then Mom and having a brother embezzle the family inheritance and me selling everything to pay for my sons open heart surgery i stupidly started smoking again to save money by not eating much (idiocy). I need to find some Chantix in Thailand where i am starting over but have not found any in Chanthaburi. Does anyone know where in Pattaya it is available?

Also, i found that cinnamon sticks to chew on and those hand grip exercisers help during those places and times where i traditionally used to smoke really help when first quitting. Thanks...from Yellow tooth