New Drug - Chantix

hmficc

I went to sleep on a Friday evening four years ago and decided I had just smoked my last cigerette, having smoked for the previous 42 years. Four years later I have not smoked nor wanted to and I have not used any props such as Chamix, having read all the medical reports subsequently I am hugely relieved I didn't, the stuff is really scary and anyone who digs into the reports on this product will doubtless agree. The trouble with stopping smoking is that most people who have smoked for a really long time, live in fear of what the stopping smoking process might be like, they find it really important to spend huge ammounts of time looking into whcih prop they should use, nicorette, Champix, chewing gum etc. In reality, for most people, stopping smoking is quite straight forward and not that difficult, as long as you have some will power and determination, try it and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Are there any readily available drug to help with stopping smoking?

I remember a few years ago there was some kind of antidepressant but I forget its name.

The old standard anti-depressant that helps stop smoking is "Zyban" - called "Quomem" in Thailand. Fairly expensive but worth it. I tried Champix a few years back but became severely depressed in a short time so stopped. I've also unsuccessfully tried parches, gum, cold turkey, cinnamon cigs etc. Quomem has worked for me - I have stopped smoking for one month now - longest time of not smoking for 45 years. Feel a bit weird from the drug, but not too bad for side effects.

I also went to Nicotine Anonymous in Chiang Mai. Very inspirational experience, and helpful tips for stopping. I hope I never contribute another cent to the tobacco pushers. But now, ethically, I don't know what to do with the Cuban cigar I had been saving. Give it to a smoker to enjoy or destroy it?

• 2 weeks later...

Is it at all possible for someone to say exactly where they bought it in bangkok please?

Hi. Sorry i missed your reply. Mine were prescribed by a doctor at Thainakarin Hospital. Go to see one of the mental health Doc's and ask them to give you the prescription. They cost 2,500B for the first packet. Good luck

• 5 months later...

My doctor advised me to take up smoking again after I suffered severe depression after taking Champix. Be very careful with it.

My doctor would not prescribe it as I have a history of depression.

He said that this drug has led to suicidal thoughts in some cases - mostly with pekoe who have suffered depression, anxiety, etc.

See your doctor first!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Bump: Has Champix become available in Thailand yet? I don't want to take any other stop smoking aids (I don't agree with antidepressants for quitting smoking, especially cuz I'm not depressed and I don't want to get doped up) I have had great success with Champix but my prescription is almost up!

Hoping for a YES...

Yes, Champix is now registered for use in Thailand. It is category "D" so can be bought without prescription but only from a grade 1 pharmacist so need a large pharmacy.

If you have trouble locating a pharmacy with it call the distributor:

Zuellig
Contact Number: Tel: 0 2656 9800 Fax: 0 2656 9801 Email: [email protected]

Please do take note of the risk of depression though and be quick to stop it, this can creep up on you very insidiously and seriously distort your thinking and judgement.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just to make members aware of possible problems with this drug:

FDA Alert

FDA Safety Review

Hi Tywas,

Tried to click on both links a few times,but seems to be gone.Shows Page not found. Will try it with my Brazil IP now...

A similar drug had killed my mom 13 years ago and caused a heart attack.

Many younger people committed suicide and jumped off balconies, which seems to be a Thai phenomena these days.

I'd do my online research and ask befriended doctors what they think about it first.I also wanna quit.But not my life.-wai2.gif

I actually had no desire to quit smoking. I enjoyed the feeling, smell and taste. My boyfriend and family and everyone except for my co-workers, didn't smoke. I figured I'd shush them all and give it a shot and be done with "trying to quit". Read a ton of reviews and told my boyfriend that If I tried it, I might go crazy, but he said he didn't care as long as I quit smoking. I got a prescription from my doctor. Bought a pack the same day I started. Took me 3 days to smoke it, down from a pack a day. The next pack took a week and the last pack took me 2 weeks. Haven't bought a pack or bummed since. Made me cranky and gave me vivid dreams, but not scary ones. Been off Chantix for 2 weeks and still nothing. Very VERY thankful in the long run.

Here's a coupon that I know of:

www.manufacturerdrugcoupons.com/chantix-coupon/

www.chantix.com/offers.aspx

you pay up to $40. Maybe this will help others.

• 3 weeks later...

By taking this drug you're exchanging one drug for another, using this method is not correcting the problem, it's simply masking it. I am no expert in addiction so I can only sympathize with your problem and wish you the best of luck. i only want to warn others of the dangers that drugs present and the ineffectiveness to fix the long term problem.

Smoking I'm sure is like any other chemical dependency stay away long enough, program your mind, seek a support system, and live determined to be healthy then your chances of relapse have got to be low. Good job on your no smoking efforts.

• 9 months later...

By taking this drug you're exchanging one drug for another, using this method is not correcting the problem, it's simply masking it. I am no expert in addiction so I can only sympathize with your problem and wish you the best of luck. i only want to warn others of the dangers that drugs present and the ineffectiveness to fix the long term problem.

Smoking I'm sure is like any other chemical dependency stay away long enough, program your mind, seek a support system, and live determined to be healthy then your chances of relapse have got to be low. Good job on your no smoking efforts.

You sure aren't an expert. I smoked for 40 years, after 3 weeks of taking Chantix I lost all desire for cigarettes. Stopped taking Chantix 2 weeks later and haven't smoked since. I did NOT 'exchange one drug for another' - it masked the awful withdrawal symptoms and made it possible for me to quit.

It is a wonderful aid to breaking one of the worst addictions known. If you haven't experienced it, why would you presume to dictate what others should feel or do?

I recommend it without reservation, and as a recovered alcoholic and addict who beat Nicotine I know <deleted> I'm talking about.

• 1 month later...