Tri-care

jimmym40

I'm from USA and have thai wife. Want to know if anyone has information on the use of the tri-care system here in Thailand. Any doctors/hospitals accept this insurance? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer, since I never used Tricare in Thailand for my family, but... my understanding is that your wife can seek treatment from non-network providers (i.e., doctors here in Thailand), and then you can submit a claim to Tricare for reimbursement. I don't think there are any facilities here in Thailand that would be considered network providers, and I don't think there are any military treatment facilities, though I could be wrong. Bottom line, you will probably have to submit a claim when getting treatment.

There are different types of Tricare as well, and it could affect the procedures. Check out www.tricare.mil to get an idea. There is a lot of information to sift through there, and I know you are looking for info from somebody who has gone through the process. Sorry I can't help more.

I'm from USA and have thai wife. Want to know if anyone has information on the use of the tri-care system here in Thailand. Any doctors/hospitals accept this insurance? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Try sending an email to Nurse Pranee, she's the TRICARE rep here in Thailand. Sometime ago I ask her about Dr's or hospitals who accepted TRICARE and she sent me a list of a few in BKK. It wasn't an option for me since I live in Udon. I pay medical fees up front and submit claim. Easy process and takes about 3 weeks to process.

I have TRICARE Overseas and able to check my claims here:

https://www.tricare4u.com/apps-portal/trica...tricarehome.jsp

Nurse Pranee

POC Tricare Service, Thailand

E-mail: [email protected]

rito,

I assume your Tricare Overseas is the "standard," not "prime" variety?

As such, are the charges you've filed for reimbursement been within the "allowable charges" range? (With lower health costs here, I would imagine so, unlike in the States, where Tricare allowable charges are way too low for non network health providers.)

Any problem with non hospital pharmacy reimbursements? Since most drugs here are non prescription, I could see this as a problem for reimbursement(?).

I have used TRICARE here in Chiang Mai for 13 years, and have never had a problem, either with Dr Tawatchai at Loi Kroh Clinic or at Chiangmai Ram Hospital. With a medical certificate written by the doctor and an itemized receipt for payment, you simply mail the claim to Wisconsin Physicians Service (TRICARE processor-contractor for overseas services) who will reimburse 75% of charges (after the annual deductible is satisfied). I have heard that Chiangmai Ram Hospital is now a ‘TRICARE provider’ for inpatient services, allowing patients to pay only 25% of the charges; best to talk directly to the hospital about that.

Note that in Thailand medications are usually provided by the clinic or hospital. Name and dosage should be annotated on the medical certificate or receipt. There is no problem with reimbursement of their cost.

Downloadable claim forms and additional information are available on the TRICARE website. It is also possible to get help from the JUSMAG nurse mentioned in an earlier reply.

rito,

I assume your Tricare Overseas is the "standard," not "prime" variety?

As such, are the charges you've filed for reimbursement been within the "allowable charges" range? (With lower health costs here, I would imagine so, unlike in the States, where Tricare allowable charges are way too low for non network health providers.)

Any problem with non hospital pharmacy reimbursements? Since most drugs here are non prescription, I could see this as a problem for reimbursement(?).

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Never thought to try, I get my HBP meds from non hospital pharmacy cost about $10 a month. I don't bother to submit a claim for $10 :o .

Rito