Advice On Weight Loss

mark100

Hi im new to the forum although l have lived in Thailand for many years, back in the UK l worked as Personal Trainer and Nutritional Adviser so hopefully might be able to help with some of the questions on this forum.

Had a quick look at the threads on the " Im Too Fat Forum " and there are so many people making references to BMI ( Body Mass Index ) and putting so much faith in it. BMI is simply a guide, there is no difinitive height to weight figures because everybody is different. People involved in strengh sports and bodybuilding will probably weigh more for their height, this does'nt mean they are fat it means they are likely to be carrying more muscle tissue which weighs more than fat but according to the BMI they are overweight. Personally l think people should look at how their body is composed and the amount of bodyfat they are carrying rather than focusing on a magic figure for their height. Don't look at BMI and give up hope everybody is different we all have different genetics and no two people are the same.

Many people seem to have problems with their weight going up and down, the so called yo-yo syndrome. When starting out with a new diet you should not change everything at once, start by changing breakfast first then move on from there. If you change everything at once and cut out all the nice foods you enjoy eating, you're chances of sticking to this plan are slim. Make short term goals, if you have just started out jogging don't aim to run a marathon at the end of your first month !! It's very important to include treat foods in any eating plan, cutting them out completley will make you more prone to binge eating. Forget about dieting instead you should change the way you eat for good and not just for a short period of time, it should be more of a lifestyle change.

Understanding the function of the three main food groups: Protein, Carbohydrate and Fat will give you a better chance of losing weight and keeping it off for good. There is a huge amount of literature on this subject on the web so l won't bore you with it here!!

Just try to stick to a sensible eating plan combined with a regular exercise program and results will come, although maybe not as quickly as you would like! Good Luck Mark :o

Agree about the BMI, what a load of rubbish, it probably causes more eating problems than anything else! According to the BMI I am severly overweight bordering obese. Believe me, I eat well, go to the gym 3-4 times a week, do yoga and Tai Chi, I am not severly overweight. Like most people I'd like to lose a few pounds/kgs and I'm working on it by eating well and exercise.

BTW if I did weigh the BMI ideal for my height I would be severly under weight, I have not weighed that little since my early teen age years!