Railay Questions--say It Isn't So!

wishyouwerehere

I just got off the phone with a friend in Koh Lanta who said that all the little bars and places to eat and shops along east Railay are a thing of the past. All closed down to make way for new hotels. Is it true? I heard this might be the case when I was there last winter/spring. That whole east Railay beach scene is what gave the place it's colour and character--it will be missed. Sounds like there will be a lot more people and a lot less fun.

This doesn't even address the fact that there isn't enough groundwater left on Railay to support the hotels and fill the pools that are already there. What do they plan on filling the new ones with? And I guess what's left of the mangroves will have to go since they will be blocking the view of the new hotel guests. Perhaps when people end up showering with wastewater or sewage and there's no longer a bird to be found in the area, someone will re-evalute the plan. And all the locals that worked in all those little bars, restaurants, food stalls, giftshops, or sold homemade jewelry or crafts, and who made a living there? Plan B (or G, or H) for them.

Make way for progress.

First Cliff's in January under slightly mysterious circumstances--I heard a few conflicting stories there. Now Hanging Bar, Jah Bar, Coco's etc. I guess everyone along there. Gecko seems fairly entrenched and safe way down at the far end in the corner but who knows. Perhaps Skunk Bar and Rock bar up on the hill will be safe--hard to attach a big hotel to a limestone cliff!! Lots of peeps who had bars and shops along there have just moved on to other areas. Apparently a few people headed over to Lanta to open up places over there--gotta make a living.