What's So Good About Chiang Rai?

Wizzard of Oz

Just wondering what is nice about Chiang Rai?

I live in Chiang Mai because:

- I like lots of stuff around like in a main city (which Chiang Mai is)

- I like that people are friendly and nice like like in smaller cities

- Stuff is waaaaay cheaper than in bkk

- You can get around speaking English. Although speaking thai is great and thai people are awesome, especially those that speak little english, it's nice to be able to be able to get by with English.

Just wondering what it is about Chiang Rai that made you decide to stay there?

Cheers,

WoZ

My wife is from Chiangrai and wanted to live near her family...otherwise Chiangrai is a dump and you're better off anywere else. Most people can see this at first glance and don't move here and those who have moved here leave as soon as they figure it out unless they are demented of addicted to something.

Just wondering what is nice about Chiang Rai?

- I like that people are friendly and nice like like in smaller cities

Cheers,

WoZ

Empty space & view to the hills

:o Wiley Coyote

My wife is from Chiangrai and wanted to live near her family...otherwise Chiangrai is a dump and you're better off anywere else. Most people can see this at first glance and don't move here and those who have moved here leave as soon as they figure it out unless they are demented of addicted to something.

Ahhhhh I see what you did there.

It's actually an awesome place but you don't want any more ###### phalangs to come and screw it up. I hear ya :o

You hear all these Farangs whining about Chiang Mai having too much traffic and being polluted and such, but when I tell them that Chiang Rai is just the opposite, but still has good Farang food and videos and things for Farangs, they have no interest in checking it out. They just keep whining about Chiang Mai.

Personally, I prefer Chiang Mai because there is more to do and it is good for my business, but I'm not whining about living here. :o

You can get around speaking English. Although speaking thai is great and thai people are awesome, especially those that speak little english, it's nice to be able to be able to get by with English.

It's better to know some thai language for daily communication no matter where you prefer to stay. Less traffic more clean fresh airs. Edited by Thaising

So that's it?

Less traffic and less pollution?

Hmmm ... that ain't much goin for it :o

after living here for 15 years and before that doing the

rounds in bangkok,pattaya,chaingmai

for me its got everything going for it because

its changed very little over the years

So that's it?

Less traffic and less pollution?

Hmmm ... that ain't much goin for it :o

To each lifestyles, to me chiang rai weren't a bad places to stay if you are nature lover. If you are some sort of night bird than big cities should be more enjoyable.

I reallyl ike Chiang Rai, or at least the mountains nearby. Every time I drive through there I have the sense that it will become a huge city for some reason. Possibly bigger than Chiang Mai even. I think maybe due to the Chinese interest in the area.

Probably will in time, once the Thailand to China "Asian Highway" is completed it may start growing. Or it may not.. :o

I couldn´t said it better myself!

Chiang Rai is a dump and with the highest rate of HIV so don´t come here!

:o:D:D

Some harsh moves against Chiang Rai here boys!

Personally if I was single and wanted to have some nightlife, Chiang Rai would not be my destination of choice unless I wanted to do nothing at all.

Chiang Mais good for single, active types. Chiang Rai is more a family, settling down area. Good if you've got a wife and kids. Not much good if your into partying.

Depends what jangles your bells.

Chiang Mai has lots more farang, lots more girlie bars, better food & choice of restaurants and English language movies, though after one day at the movies, you won't see anything new for a few weeks.

Chiang Rai has breathable air, views. You can get from downtown to rural hills in six minutes - how long does it take to get out of the downtown C.Mai?

Locals in C.Rai are friendlier though they have less handle on speaking English.

cooler nights in C.Rai and a lot cooler nightlife.

There are plans for C.Rai to grow like gangbusters - I saw one plan with half a dozen bridges over the Mae Kok from downtown, plus a subway and light rail. Like most places that were once quaint, it's quickly becoming more citified like C.Mai -

Mae Chan, the slieepy town north of C.Rai, will become the nice locaction in the near future - that is for folks who don't need girls calling out to them; 'you want beeah?!

Any explanations as to why the restaurant selection, nightlife etc in CR has diminished over the years while it has expanded in CM and Pattaya? Seems to be fewer tourists coming here also, some local business owners talk about how they didn't even have a high season this past year. At the same time though traffic has increased and everyone seems to agree that the city is growing, that people are moving here because it compares favorably to places like CM and Pattaya in terms of natural beauty, price, less conjested etc. Maybe I just answered my own question. Is it that more Thais are coming here to live but fewer Falangs (to both live and visit) and thus less demand for businesses that cater to them?

Any explanations as to why the restaurant selection, nightlife etc in CR has diminished over the years while it has expanded in CM and Pattaya? Seems to be fewer tourists coming here also, some local business owners talk about how they didn't even have a high season this past year. At the same time though traffic has increased and everyone seems to agree that the city is growing, that people are moving here because it compares favorably to places like CM and Pattaya in terms of natural beauty, price, less conjested etc. Maybe I just answered my own question. Is it that more Thais are coming here to live but fewer Falangs (to both live and visit) and thus less demand for businesses that cater to them?

You can cross the main street without being knocked down....easier than Chiang Mai or BKK

:o Wiley Coyote

.......Chiang Rai has breathable air, views. You can get from downtown to rural hills in six minutes - how long does it take to get out of the downtown C.Mai?

Locals in C.Rai are friendlier though they have less handle on speaking English.....

Isn't it also something to do with being a relatively bigger fish in a smaller sea?

. + SJ

In about 1992, Chiang Rai had better Go-Go bars, girlie bars and restaurants than Chiang Mai. Not no more! :o

That is the reason for the high rate of HIV!

That was not a joke, just reality!

Yes, I think the number of good restaurants have decreased a little bit the last 3-4 years. But the number of BIG EXPENSIVE hotels have increased. For example The Legend, Riverside, Mantrini. And now they are building a very big hotel on the river just after Yunnan Restaurant. Huge! Bigger than Rim Kok and Dusit Island. So someone is planning for a lot of tourists and where will they come from?

Probably not western tourists but Chinese!

We will see. Maybe time to learn Mandarin?

:D:D:D

I prefer Chiang Rai then Chiang Mai. Hate the traffic in Chiang Mai. I prefer outskirt of the town, like the hills and lakes. things are so much cheaper in the villiage example foods. dont talk about electronic goods such as computers. it ex.

other then that it a lay back place or slow moving place. To each his own preference where he like to be in.

I myself love Chiang Rai very much :o

Maesai is getting expensive. the things there are no longer cheap as 6 yrs ago. Maybe is because of the Chinese tourist. There is alot of them going to maesai and golden triangle.

Edited by bahnoo

Maesai is getting expensive. the things there are no longer cheap as 6 yrs ago. Maybe is because of the Chinese tourist. There is alot of them going to maesai and golden triangle.

I don´t understand why the Chinese tourists go shopping in Mae Sai!

95 % of the goods are from China. Must be cheaper where they come from!

I don´t understand why the Chinese tourists go shopping in Mae Sai!

95 % of the goods are from China. Must be cheaper where they come from!

dont really know why but it definally let maesai pple there earn more money.