BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Preceptor

Which Teaching Insituition Should I Go To?

Hi guys,

I would like to come to bangkok to reside for a period of time & while doing so, I would like to teach english too.

I have check out the webbie Ajarn.com on which insituition to start my teaching course but I do not know which insituition certificate is recognised.

Would you guys or any of the foreign teachers in thailand advise me on which insituition to take up? I have a high school qualification & a diploma cert in business & marketing.

A thousand thanks in advance!

:o

First I thought it was a spelling mistake but it wasn't. Why don't you consider trying to stay where you are now? With your natural teaching talent you may find other occupations maybe of more interest, outside Thailand preferably as this is a developing country.

Good luck!

Dutchy

PS You could also consider starting your own language school using your own unique grammar!

First I thought it was a spelling mistake but it wasn't. Why don't you consider trying to stay where you are now? With your natural teaching talent you may find other occupations maybe of more interest, outside Thailand preferably as this is a developing country.

Good luck!

Dutchy

PS You could also consider starting your own language school using your own unique grammar!

Hate you Dutchy2......you stole my thunder!.

Great post.

Preceptor,

By all means PM me I work at a school (and have done for 4 years). I'll help as best I can and not make sarcy comments that have no relevance to your questions.

My Mum always used to say if you ain't (she used haven't though) got nothing nice to say......!

Preceptor,

By all means PM me I work at a school (and have done for 4 years). I'll help as best I can and not make sarcy comments that have no relevance to your questions.

My Mum always used to say if you ain't (she used haven't though) got nothing nice to say......!

Would you want this individual to teach your children Ken?

Is teaching so simple that anyone can be a teacher? I really wonder whether it would be in the interest of Thailand that you're trying to help this person.

Dutchy

PS your mother was right, my mother used to say the same. I should have listened better huh!

Why the 'sarcasm', Senior Member Dutchy2.

I need a answer to my question, that's abt all, not an 'Answer' with your 'sarcasm'.

I don't know the bloke from Adam so how can I tell if he's able to teach my kid? I think assuming something from one post is a bit silly. I've known some superb dyslexic teachers, some excellent teachers with crap grammar (as long as you know your weaknesses you can make sure they don't mess you up by PLANNING WELL etc.). To be honest I don't really care who teaches my son, as the education system here is pretty poor anyway....even a so so Western educated teacher here is 'generally' a ###### sight better than most Thai teachers!

Yes, I'd say a high percentage of 'normal' people can make reasonable teachers actually. I'll let Thailand JUDGE whether they're acceptable/good or not, like you say on other threads it's not OUR country to tell Thais what to do, is it?

He asked for help if you don't want to help don't, if you do...well do!

Done many hard and complicated jobs in my life, and must say, that Teaching English Conversation to Thais, is comparatively easy!

But then, I talk 'proper'........THAT is most important , innit?

Arter awl, if ya carnt speek, and spewl rite, ow kan yew teech uvers?

I think anyone who's managed to finish high school can probably teach up through elementary- and this has often been the extent of what was available, even with native speakers in their own countries. This inflation of degrees, where folks with B.A.'s are waiting tables, is a recent development.

TEFL quals, in my opinion, are particularly low-threshold (reflected in the length of the courses required for them) because there really isn't all that much you can do academically with very low-performing second language speakers for the one-two hours a week typical of TEFL classes here. If you've got subject-verb agreement down, plus most of the tenses, you're set grammatically. It's in class management, employment savviness, cultural understanding of Thai students/schools, teaching techniques, and discipline that I believe TEFL courses in Thailand can really shine.

If you wanna teach future perfect continuous to folks who really might understand or care what it means, teach adults or Japanese.

"Steven"

I think anyone who's managed to finish high school can probably teach up through elementary-

^ Mate there was a thread on Ajarn a while ago that actually said teaching kids is probably harder than teaching adults. IMO and to an extent IME I'd take a good kids teacher over a good (normal) adult teacher any day of the week, far more flexible.

Also the thread mentioned that quite often you're paid more to teach kids (on average) as it is (or can be) so demanding?

I agree with that, too, Ken- my point is that ACADEMIC qualifications for TEFL teaching to kids probably don't need to be too high, as long as the teacher did well in high school. Certainly all the OTHER elements (that I mentioned above) are harder and more demanding for kids!

"Steven"

If one has a degree and a TEFL so much the better.Flexibility and adjustment to any level of English proficiency depends on your training,education and experience.I would say that to be well equipped and with proper motivation one will have a wonderful time teaching here in Thailand.

Hi guys,

I would like to come to bangkok to reside for a period of time & while doing so, I would like to teach english too.

I have check out the webbie Ajarn.com on which insituition to start my teaching course but I do not know which insituition certificate is recognised.

Would you guys or any of the foreign teachers in thailand advise me on which insituition to take up? I have a high school qualification & a diploma cert in business & marketing.

A thousand thanks in advance!

The Cambridge CELTA is an internationaly recognised qualification & it's on offer in the LoS.

There are other similar courses & qualifications on offer but it is arguable whether they really are recognised worldwide.

If all you want to do is teach in the LoS then a CELTA alternative will probably suffice.