The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big write up on the BBC about Rochdale today.

Hill seeks stability at Rochdale

After 100 years with precious little to shout about, Rochdale could be forgiven for getting excited about their current prospects near the top end of League Two.

After all, the Lancashire club - which is celebrating its centenary - has only ever been promoted once before in its history.

Repeating that experience of almost 40 years ago is a possibility thanks to an impressive run of just two defeats since August which has lifted Dale to the end of the play-off places.

But for boss Keith Hill, this relative burst of success is something of a double-edged sword less than 12 months into his managerial reign at Spotland.

"The progress has been quite quick to be honest. The expectation is becoming too much, considering what we are trying to do," Hill told BBC Sport.

"We are putting building blocks in place and we are doing that by introducing a lot of young players to League football.

"They are coping nicely and while we are doing that we are not losing games.

"I am really pleased and we are all enjoying what we are doing. But for me, the expectation is too high."

Hill wants the club's supporters to maintain their current level of backing but is keen to temper aspirations.

When he stepped up from his position as youth team coach last December, Dale were 22nd in the table. By the end of the season they finished ninth, missing out on the play-offs by just five points.

The former Rochdale defender, who also played for Blackburn and Plymouth, had been an instant hit.

But it had been a longer term plan the 38-year-old and assistant David Flitcroft, a former playing favourite at Spotland, had presented as part of the job application.

"We went to the board with a plan and they backed that for the development of the whole club. We are trying to restructure the whole ethos of the club," Hill said.

"It's a long-term plan to provide the Rochdale first-team with our own players from the centre of excellence, the youth team and the reserves.

"You have to be given time, which I think is the right way to go and the right philosophy for Rochdale, because we haven't got a sugar daddy chairman who will foot the bill for a big players' budget."

Hill has not been frightened to blood young players, although most of those to make an impact this season have come in from outside, either on loan or snapped up last summer like former Oldham teenager Kallum Higginbotham.

The 18-year-old has made a big impression on the right-hand side of Dale's attack and while Hill preaches cautions, he has recognised the Higginbotham's talent with a new long-term contract.

It is not all about youth, however, with Hill rapidly building a well balanced squad which has overcome an injury-hit start to the season.

The 18-year-old has made a big impression on the right-hand side of Dale's attack and while Hill preaches cautions, he has recognised the Higginbotham's talent with a new long-term contract.

He added: "We have got to be patient and very careful with young players we want to develop and we can't expect too much too soon.

"We have to do it by developing players and given them not lucrative contracts but performance based on what they do.

"If you give players too much too young, they can lose a bit of drive."

It is not all about youth, however, with Hill rapidly building a well balanced squad which has overcome an injury-hit start to the season.

In midfield, a combination of Gary Jones, John Doolan and Lee Crooks offer vast experience to the younger heads around them, while up front Glenn Murray and Adam Le Fondre have at least had a goals-scoring grounding in the League. And Hill is not naïve enough to think that results in the short term are not important.

"Football is success driven and success is winning football matches to give you the chance to see things through," he said.

During the current calendar year Rochdale have lost just seven league games. A continuation of that form would give them a real chance of finishing in the top seven.

In Hill's eyes that might be over-achieving, but he will gladly seize the prize if it comes along.

He added: "A bit of stability and a structure will ultimately get us some success on the pitch. The main success for this club over its 100 years has been maintaining its League status.

"That's an achievement when you consider some of the bigger budgets clubs have in our league.

"But our ambition is to be as successful as we can and that probably means going for the play-offs and promotion.

"Ultimately we do want promotion and to improve ourselves as a club and as individuals, both as players and coaches.

"If it's there and if we achieve it this season, brilliant. If we don't, the development of the club is still going in the right direction."

Not sure who our shower have coming up :D

You're at home to Northampton Chavy :D

Yep I just found out who we play.

Interesting piece from Keith Hill, he seems to have his head screwed on right mate. Only 7 games lost in the calendar year is impressive. I can see why the supporters might be getting a bit enthusiastic nowdays. :o

Interesting piece from Keith Hill, he seems to have his head screwed on right mate. Only 7 games lost in the calendar year is impressive. I can see why the supporters might be getting a bit enthusiastic nowdays. :o

Yeah he is level headed. It's also a good youth policy but undoubtedley bigger clubs will come along and snap up the very talented young uns. Life in the dreggs of footie i suppose.

That's right mate, they couldn't resist the 300K we gave them for Grant "The Hitman" Holt last season. He takes a lot of stick from our fans but inspite of being injured for a spell last season he was still way out in front as our top scorer. I think his problem is he always looks a bit 'weighty' around the face & midriff. Also CC accepting a bid from Bristol City unsettled him.

Northampton are supposed to be injury ravaged so am expecting a win & a big crowd at the CG this afternoon. Cmmon you tricky trees :o

I'll be keeping an eye out for the "Mighty Dale's" result today.

Enjoyed that piece on Rochdale, ad it really seems that the club have got there act together, you sometimes wonder why other clubs don't follow a similar model.

Enjoyed that piece on Rochdale, ad it really seems that the club have got there act together, you sometimes wonder why other clubs don't follow a similar model.

Think it's purely down to money Toady, in Division 2 they'd sell their mother if it meant extra funds :o

Actually, i have heard that Keith Hill is selling his mother and putting the money towards the "under soil heating" fund :D

Looks like we're the first club to get juicy pickings of Luton now they're in admin....the circular has gone out for all the players available. We've put a bid in for Welsh International (Big deal) Dave Edwards. Looks like 200k will see us get our man.

Fuller_614167.jpg

There's only one F in Fuller :D

Boing Boing Baggies-how many games since you beat the mighty Potters ? Days of the Baggy shorts wasn't it hence your nickname :o

Hat-trick for the magic man and the Potters go marching on- 3-1 v WBA, thanks for turning up Yam Yams

ALLROIGHT

The Mighty Dale.......bl00dy match postponed again.

From the BBC:-

Rochdale's League Two match against Barnet on Saturday has been postponed because of a frozen pitch.

A group of fans worked all morning to try and get the pitch ready for the match but their efforts were in vain.

Referee Graham Salisbury told the hosts' website: "Two thirds of the pitch we would get away with but on the other third in patches it's very hard.

"My main concern would be someone getting injured and reluctantly I have to err on the side of caution."

I have to look up-beat mate.

Last year we were celebrating promotion at Christmas, 7 points clear at the top but then had a horrendous new year. In fact the rest of the season :o

Hope you guys go up this year and Leeds miss out.

We've certainly got to be on the ball from now on to remain in top spot. I think the next game we have is Oldham but the previous 2 seasons have not gone well there at all, getting beat 5-0 was a nightmare result for us. In fact the only bright spot to come out that game was "Mugson's" departure. :o

Chavy the biggest nightmare last season for your guys was the drubbing that Yeovil gave you in the play offs.

Accrington Stanley features high on the list as well :o

TBH the feeling of missing out on automatic promotion due to poor form after Christmas was bad. When we rediscovered our form Scunthorpe & Brizzle City just didn't slip up as many predicted.

Glad to escape with a point from Oldham yesterday in light of recent history up there for us. Now slipped to 2nd :o

See Rochdale managed a 2 - 0 win as well MrBJ ?? After a dodgy start Keith Hill certainly has got hem going in the right direction.

Archived