The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

It's now a consortium fronmted by Clin Lee. Yes, I believe that Leroy was the shortest ever appointment. Pretty much sums up last season and the beginning of the close season. Thankfully, looks like they have gt their hous in order this year.

There was a very good article in Four Four Two, all about Torquay, titles "Sun Setting on Torquay", in the June issue I beleive, gives a real good insight into the shambles of last season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't you have a Chezch manager towards the end of last season? Who appointed him & what experience of the English lower leagues did he have? Not much by the looks of what happened. :o

Incidently..off topic, I once went to a pre season friendly down at Plainmoor I think was about 1975 !! I was nowt but a nipper in them days but the one memory that stands out is the lack of bulbs in the flood lights!!!!!!! Funny how certain things stick in the memory eh

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's now a consortium fronmted by Clin Lee. Yes, I believe that Leroy was the shortest ever appointment. Pretty much sums up last season and the beginning of the close season. Thankfully, looks like they have gt their hous in order this year.

There was a very good article in Four Four Two, all about Torquay, titles "Sun Setting on Torquay", in the June issue I beleive, gives a real good insight into the shambles of last season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't you have a Chezch manager towards the end of last season? Who appointed him & what experience of the English lower leagues did he have? Not much by the looks of what happened. :D

Incidently..off topic, I once went to a pre season friendly down at Plainmoor I think was about 1975 !! I was nowt but a nipper in them days but the one memory that stands out is the lack of bulbs in the flood lights!!!!!!! Funny how certain things stick in the memory eh

Thos famous subbuteo style lights still exist.

Yes, we had a Checz manager there for a breif spell of about 12 games. He was a friend of Chris Roberts who took over the chairmanship from Mike Bateson, with lot's of big masterplans, like building a 20,000 seat stadium on the seafront. Not much point when you only get an average of around 2,500. Sadly, this guy was a bit of a dreamer. Sold of all our best players, bought in Ludos Kubic who had no experience and couldn't speak English annd promptly took us to the bottom of the league. By February, Roberts could bot pay the remaining monies owed to Bateson to take control so it was handed back to Bateson. By then it was too late, no reserve team, mainly loan players and a previously financialy well managed club at the point of bankruptcy. Roberts, alo paid himself a nice 60,000 salary. What a plonker. :o

By the end of the season it was an absolute joke, Curle was replaced as manager by Rosenior by Bateson on the day before he sold the club to Colin Lee, so when he took over the very next day Rosenior was out of a job. Have to feel a bit sorry for him, as he had done a very good job at Torquay previously, but looks like Buckle knnows what he is doing, and I'v heard from people who now him from his time at Exeter who rate him pretty highly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't you have a Chezch manager towards the end of last season? Who appointed him & what experience of the English lower leagues did he have? Not much by the looks of what happened. :D

Thos famous subbuteo style lights still exist.

Yes, we had a Checz manager there for a breif spell of about 12 games. He was a friend of Chris Roberts who took over the chairmanship from Mike Bateson, with lot's of big masterplans, like building a 20,000 seat stadium on the seafront. Not much point when you only get an average of around 2,500. Sadly, this guy was a bit of a dreamer. Sold of all our best players, bought in Ludos Kubic who had no experience and couldn't speak English annd promptly took us to the bottom of the league. By February, Roberts could bot pay the remaining monies owed to Bateson to take control so it was handed back to Bateson. By then it was too late, no reserve team, mainly loan players and a previously financialy well managed club at the point of bankruptcy. Roberts, alo paid himself a nice 60,000 salary. What a plonker. :o

By the end of the season it was an absolute joke, Curle was replaced as manager by Rosenior by Bateson on the day before he sold the club to Colin Lee, so when he took over the very next day Rosenior was out of a job. Have to feel a bit sorry for him, as he had done a very good job at Torquay previously, but looks like Buckle knnows what he is doing, and I'v heard from people who now him from his time at Exeter who rate him pretty highly.

Good luck to buckle for this season. The start you've had seems to have confirmed the appointment of him....& long they remain...(the lights I mean) !! :D

Chavy, I think it's helped that he has got a settled boardroom this year. Colin Lee who is now the director of football has been in the game a longtime at differing levels, and he has planty of contacts and knowledge of the game. I was impressed by some of the players that they have already bought it, in fact I'd say that it is a far better side than last year. They have a couple of good strikers in Phillips and Sills, Bedeau is certainly a good player at this level.

I won't count my chickens yet, because the conference is a very competative league with some really good sides, but I hope for the future of the club that they can go straight back up.

Here's a reminder for you of the great floodlights at Plainmoor. :o

post-31474-1187867246_thumb.jpg

Chavy, I think it's helped that he has got a settled boardroom this year. Colin Lee who is now the director of football has been in the game a longtime at differing levels, and he has planty of contacts and knowledge of the game. I was impressed by some of the players that they have already bought it, in fact I'd say that it is a far better side than last year. They have a couple of good strikers in Phillips and Sills, Bedeau is certainly a good player at this level.

I won't count my chickens yet, because the conference is a very competative league with some really good sides, but I hope for the future of the club that they can go straight back up.

Here's a reminder for you of the great floodlights at Plainmoor. :o

post-31474-1187867246_thumb.jpg

Ahhh there they are? Thanks Mrtoad for the trip down memory lane.

Had a quick look on the internet site & since the seats have gone in the place looks quite presentable nowdays.

Thatpre season I went to was against Bristol City. Score 0 - 0. A right humdinger of a game, If my beer destroyed memory serves me right Bristol were in the old first division at that time, perhaps you can check your reords on that one?

Chavy, would probably say that it was probably 1975, but hel_l I was only three at the time.!!City were in the First division from 76-80 under the reign of Alan Dicks - he who put all those players on 10 year contracts which ultimatetly bankrupted the club.

Plainmoor has been developed over the last few years and is quite presentable now, although the old Buckfastleigh Racecourse stand sill exists along with those great flood lights.

Chavy, would probably say that it was probably 1975, but hel_l I was only three at the time.!!City were in the First division from 76-80 under the reign of Alan Dicks - he who put all those players on 10 year contracts which ultimatetly bankrupted the club.

Plainmoor has been developed over the last few years and is quite presentable now, although the old Buckfastleigh Racecourse stand sill exists along with those great flood lights.

You could be right...I was going to put in the last post they had just been promoted. S**t 1975...seems so long ago nowdays :o

Those were great days for City, but in the end cost them dear. The building of the Dolman stand and thos ten year contracts certainly nearly sent the club into the abyss.

What is refreshing from the terrible slide though was the attitude os some f the players, "The Ashton Gate Eight", dn't think you wuld see any of these type f actions from players these days. Just compare this to the mess at Leeds United. Some of thse ex Leeds players should hang their heads in shame.

The Ashton Gate Eight

In 1982, when ET was breaking box office records and Culture Club were topping the charts, Bristol City almost fell too.

The club was facing meltdown - and eight star players were asked to tear up their lucrative long term contracts.

The Ashton Gate Eight had the future of football south of the river in their hands.

Under Alan Dicks City played in the first division but by 1982 they had plummeted to the fourth division and were loosing £5,000 a week.

The problem star players on long term contracts - some tied to deal of up to 11 years.

The story made national headlines and the players became celebrities. But after days of negotiation the eight gave in and a new club emerged from the ashes.

BBC football pundit Jonathan Pearce, a Robins fan, said: "People should never forget in this city that without those eight players there would not be a Bristol City Football Club here today."

"I don't think they've ever been given due recognition."

The Ashton Gate 8

Gerry Sweeney

Dave Rodgers

Peter Aitken

Geoff Merrick

Chris Garland

Trevor Tainton

Jimmy Mann

Julian Marshall

Those were great days for City, but in the end cost them dear. The building of the Dolman stand and thos ten year contracts certainly nearly sent the club into the abyss.

What is refreshing from the terrible slide though was the attitude os some f the players, "The Ashton Gate Eight", dn't think you wuld see any of these type f actions from players these days. Just compare this to the mess at Leeds United. Some of thse ex Leeds players should hang their heads in shame.

The Ashton Gate Eight

In 1982, when ET was breaking box office records and Culture Club were topping the charts, Bristol City almost fell too.

The club was facing meltdown - and eight star players were asked to tear up their lucrative long term contracts.

The Ashton Gate Eight had the future of football south of the river in their hands.

Under Alan Dicks City played in the first division but by 1982 they had plummeted to the fourth division and were loosing £5,000 a week.

The problem star players on long term contracts - some tied to deal of up to 11 years.

The story made national headlines and the players became celebrities. But after days of negotiation the eight gave in and a new club emerged from the ashes.

BBC football pundit Jonathan Pearce, a Robins fan, said: "People should never forget in this city that without those eight players there would not be a Bristol City Football Club here today."

"I don't think they've ever been given due recognition."

The Ashton Gate 8

Gerry Sweeney

Dave Rodgers

Peter Aitken

Geoff Merrick

Chris Garland

Trevor Tainton

Jimmy Mann

Julian Marshall

Must admit Mr.Toad, I've never heard of any of this lot, but, if that's correct what they did then they deserve some credit. Players nowdays wouldn't do that. As you say, many ex Leeds players & managers should take a long hard look at themselves

Must admit Mr.Toad, I've never heard of any of this lot, but, if that's correct what they did then they deserve some credit. Players nowdays wouldn't do that. As you say, many ex Leeds players & managers should take a long hard look at themselves

I t was quite something that they did really, if you put it into context. Professional footballers in the 1970's were still not making the sort of money that the guys do today, so they were forefeiting a lot of their future earning potential or mayeb their retirement fund. Makes you sick when you here people like Ashley cole complaing that he was only offered 55,000 a week, which he found insulting. Then there were the guys from Leeds, such as Fowler, Mills, Viduka, Ferdinand et al still being paid of sever5al years after leaving the club. Okay, I know that they were entitled to that money, but it makes you realise that a lot of the guys today have no interest in the club or the fans and are fuelled by self importance perpetuated by the ludicrous amounts of monay that are thrown at them.

You might find this link interesting, it was done in January of this year to commemerate the 25 years of this lanndmark for Bristol City, it includes interviews with the players concerned. Really good listening.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bristol/content/artic...s_feature.shtml

Psst...if you haven't guessed by now, I have a bit of a soft spot for Bristol City and I'll you why on the beer and footy night.

I was born and raised a stones throw from QPR's ground.

I always look for their results.

When I was a kid my idol was Rodney Marsh, who is ironically nowhere to be sen these days owing to his comments about the Tsunami.

I never knew anything of what happened at Bristol City...but hats off to those players. I tried to access the story but can't.

Nice thread by the way. :o

When I was a kid my idol was Rodney Marsh, who is ironically nowhere to be sen these days owing to his comments about the Tsunami.

I never knew anything of what happened at Bristol City...but hats off to those players. I tried to access the story but can't.

What's your thoughts about Briatore (spelling?) taking over. What about John Gregory? I've always thought him to be a good manager, & one not to pull punches when talking

TP, you should be able to access the thread, and to listen to the interview you will need real player. I have to say that the interviews are quite fascinating.

:o:D:D:D:D:bah::bah::o

Okay, okay I'm happy, another good result for the Gulls.

All the new signings get in the goals, Zeborski, Phillips and Sills.

A good 3-2 win against Rushden, join top with Exeter and Cambridge. Can't complain about the start this season, and the general feeling at the club seems to be much more positive this season. A pretty good crowd today, over 3,000.

And Bristol City got a good win as well. Hope Man Utd can complete a good weeken tomorrow.

:D:D:D:bah::bah::o;):D

Okay, okay I'm happy, another good result for the Gulls.

All the new signings get in the goals, Zeborski, Phillips and Sills.

A good 3-2 win against Rushden, join top with Exeter and Cambridge. Can't complain about the start this season, and the general feeling at the club seems to be much more positive this season. A pretty good crowd today, over 3,000.

And Bristol City got a good win as well. Hope Man Utd can complete a good weeken tomorrow.

Not a good weekend for us :D a last minute goal from Beckford sent us packing 2 - 1 Haven't seen it yet but must of been off side ??? :o

Not a good weekend for us :D a last minute goal from Beckford sent us packing 2 - 1 Haven't seen it yet but must of been off side ??? :o

At least you are still 9 points above Leeds at present. Have to give Leeds ccredit though, they have really turned the adversity into somethin positivve, and they have got the start they needed. If they hadn't they could have been so far adrift at the bottom by the end of the month. If they continue to grind out the results lie this then they have a very good chance of getting at least a play off spot.

Not sure about your team Chavy, they seem to flatter to deceive somewhat in that division. A little bit like Bristol City for a number of years before finally getting promoted.

At least you are still 9 points above Leeds at present. Have to give Leeds ccredit though, they have really turned the adversity into somethin positivve, and they have got the start they needed. If they hadn't they could have been so far adrift at the bottom by the end of the month. If they continue to grind out the results lie this then they have a very good chance of getting at least a play off spot.

Not sure about your team Chavy, they seem to flatter to deceive somewhat in that division. A little bit like Bristol City for a number of years before finally getting promoted.

Yes totally agree your comment about us. The problem lies with the mentality of the club (& supporters) still think they shouldn't be in that division & as a result just need to turn up for three points. The last couple of seasons we've been the prize 'scalp' for teams like Orient , Bournemouth , Oldham etc etc. They treat the game like a cup final & raise their game which our lot just cannot cope with. It'll change a little this year with the introdution of Leeds but , as you say, all credit to them because they seem to have adjusted better to life in this division than we have even after more than 2 seasons trying

Well at least Rochdale got a point this weekend. Taking them up the league.................to second from bottom :D

Hmmm....Is there a pub near the ground called the cemetery ? :o I'm sure I went in a pub up there with that name Mr BJ. Didn't bump into Gracie Fields or Cyril Smith though :D

Well at least Rochdale got a point this weekend. Taking them up the league.................to second from bottom :D

Hmmm....Is there a pub near the ground called the cemetery ? :o I'm sure I went in a pub up there with that name Mr BJ. Didn't bump into Gracie Fields or Cyril Smith though :D

There is indeed chavy. On the corner at the traffic lights.

For some reason during my teenage years, Rochdale sround was never a place I wanted to visit......Spotland :D

Myabe, it was an Adrain Mole ground :D

:o

Hmmm....Is there a pub near the ground called the cemetery ? :D I'm sure I went in a pub up there with that name Mr BJ. Didn't bump into Gracie Fields or Cyril Smith though :bah:

For some reason during my teenage years, Rochdale sround was never a place I wanted to visit......Spotland :D

Myabe, it was an Adrain Mole ground :D

Apparently Trundle scored 2 scorchers for Bristol City on saturday.

Anyone got a link to see them ?

A little dissapointed with the draw at Forest Green yesterday, but in the context of things I should be happy as we are now top. All the other teams also dropped points at the top so can't really complain.

It looks like the Superblues are on a roll already this season. The Premiership beckons once again for Portman Road, I can feel it... :D

Jim Magilton's Blue & White army !!!!! :D

I know, it doesn't have much of a ring to it... :o

(But, give the man a chance, he may surprise us.)

Just recently there's been a few incidents of players dieing or collapsing. Last night at our game against Leicester one of their players collapsed & is in a critical way in hospital. We were leading 1 - 0 at half time when it happened but obviously out of respect we had to abandon the game....hope the lad makes a full recovery

It looks like the Superblues are on a roll already this season. The Premiership beckons once again for Portman Road, I can feel it... :D

Jim Magilton's Blue & White army !!!!! :D

I know, it doesn't have much of a ring to it... :o

(But, give the man a chance, he may surprise us.)

I wasn't taking the p***s jasreeve...quite the opposite, Jim Magilton was one of those players who did a solid job for many years, not a spectacular player but reliable & knew what you were going to get from him. I hope he does well.

Archived