The Lower League Thread

mrbojangles

Rochdale 1-1 Norwich (aet)

Norwich win 4-3 on penalties :o Hard luck the Dale

Norwich keeper David Marshall saved two penalties to send his side past League Two side Rochdale 4-3 on spot-kicks and into the Carling Cup third round.

Glenn Murray handed the hosts a deserved lead when he strode through the defence to coolly slot home.

Norwich striker Dion Dublin glanced home the leveller but the Championship side could not force a winner and the game went to spot-kicks.

Rory Prendergast and Gary Jones then missed the penalties for the Dale.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rochdale 1-1 Norwich (aet)

Norwich win 4-3 on penalties :o Hard luck the Dale

Norwich keeper David Marshall saved two penalties to send his side past League Two side Rochdale 4-3 on spot-kicks and into the Carling Cup third round.

Glenn Murray handed the hosts a deserved lead when he strode through the defence to coolly slot home.

Norwich striker Dion Dublin glanced home the leveller but the Championship side could not force a winner and the game went to spot-kicks.

Rory Prendergast and Gary Jones then missed the penalties for the Dale.

Dion Dublin....wow! is he still at it (playing football I mean?)

It looks like the Superblues are on a roll already this season. The Premiership beckons once again for Portman Road, I can feel it... :D

Jim Magilton's Blue & White army !!!!! :D

I know, it doesn't have much of a ring to it... :o

(But, give the man a chance, he may surprise us.)

I wasn't taking the p***s jasreeve...quite the opposite, Jim Magilton was one of those players who did a solid job for many years, not a spectacular player but reliable & knew what you were going to get from him. I hope he does well.

You know I didn't like him as a player because him and Matt Holland were the centre midfield players when we got demoted. We were relegated by the odd point, and between them they didn't manage to pick up even one yellow card all season. I don't want violent players but a fully committed centre midfield partnership will pick up a couple of red cards and a host of yellows in a season. To me, they just didn't give enough and that's why we went down...

Did Holland jup ship when you were relegated to Charlton ?? Did Magilton stay or go? I always got the impression he was a one club man :o

I agree that he seems like a decent chap and I'm willing to give him a chance.Good luck to him.

I just think that his play lacked commitment at times.

anybody from Lincoln on this site? (not the prison, before somebody starts! :o ) supporters I mean.

I have only ever been to Lincoln once in my life. Quite a few years ago when they played Rochdale. We walked into a pub after the game and there was Peter Adamson (Len Fairclough from Coronation St). He was p1ssed as a newt, scrounging drinks and really looked a broken man. Some might say deservedley but it was a vivid memory.

anybody from Lincoln on this site? (not the prison, before somebody starts! :D ) supporters I mean.

I have only ever been to Lincoln once in my life. Quite a few years ago when they played Rochdale. We walked into a pub after the game and there was Peter Adamson (Len Fairclough from Coronation St). He was p1ssed as a newt, scrounging drinks and really looked a broken man. Some might say deservedley but it was a vivid memory.

Could have been worse, you could have met him in a swimming pool :o

Er, I'll get my coat now.......

anybody from Lincoln on this site? (not the prison, before somebody starts! :D ) supporters I mean.

Could have been worse, you could have met him in a swimming pool :o

Er, I'll get my coat now.......

He probably just come from up the hill (HMP Lincoln)

One of the saddest sights I saw was when Lincoln were relegated from the football league (the 1st club I believe) & after the match some poor bloke tied his scarf at half mast outside his local pub

He probably just come from up the hill (HMP Lincoln)

One of the saddest sights I saw was when Lincoln were relegated from the football league (the 1st club I believe) & after the match some poor bloke tied his scarf at half mast outside his local pub

I vividly remember that day, as it was Torquay who sent Lincoln down, Paul Dobson scoring an injury time equaliser to make it 2-2. :o

The Great Escape

Those who thought the same thing couldn't happen three years in a row had a shock: on the last day of the 1986-7 season, United were next to bottom, one point above Burnley, and one point below Lincoln.

Torquay's squad in 1987

There'd be no re-election this time - whoever finished bottom would go down automatically under the league's new rules.

That final game - at home to Crewe in May 1987 - has entered Torquay folklore. A win would guarantee league safety, a draw or even a defeat might do.

Disastrously, United went 2-0 down in the first half. Jim McNichol pulled a goal back just after half-time, but despite all-out attack, United couldn't get the second goal they needed.

Then, with just a few minutes left, a police dog called Bryn - who with his handler was patrolling the touchline - bit McNichol on the leg.

It took four minutes to patch up the wound, and it was in the fourth minute of injury time that Gulls striker Paul Dobson turned and hit a low shot into the corner of the Crewe net. 2-2!

Burnley won their game, but luckily for United, Lincoln lost at Swansea, so the Gulls stayed up on goal difference, with Lincoln going down.

Cyril Knowles took over as manager and in his first season - 1987-8, led United to the play-off final, where they lost against Swansea.

Making his debut in this season was 16-year-old trainee Lee Sharpe - who went on to join Manchester United for £180,000.

Another good win yesterday for Torquay. 2-0 at home to Stafford Rangers, so we are noiw sitting pretty at the top of the league.

Those subbuteo lights will be back in the Football league soon. :o

Could be...could be......could think of worse places than the English riviera

Torquay 4-0 Salisbury

League leaders Torquay continued their superb start to the season with a comfortable win over Salisbury.

Chris Todd converted a Matthew Hockley cross to open the scoring before Lee Phillips scored a penalty after Darrell Clarke foul on Chris Zebroski.

Phillips crossed for strike partner Tim Sills to head home a third goal.

And Sills doubled his tally in similar fashion from Kevin Nicholson's cross deep into injury time to put the result beyond doubt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torquay: Rayner, Robertson, Todd, Woods, Nicholson, Stevens, Hockley, Hargreaves (Bedeau 46), Zebroski (Welsh 87), Sills, Phillips (Benyon 87).

Subs Not Used: Hinshelwood, Rice.

Goals: Todd 15, Phillips 40 pen, Sills 81, 90.

Salisbury: Ryan Clarke, Bass, Bond, Cook, Robinson, Darrell Clarke (Feeney 69), Turk, Fowler, Sandell, Tubbs (Brown 79), Matthews.

Subs Not Used: Bartlett, Prince, Oliver.

Att: 3,215.

Ref: Steve Creighton (Berkshire).

The run continues, and a good sized crowd to boot .Hope they can keep up the good work and get us back where we belong - in the lower half of the 2nd Division :o

Torquay 4-0 Salisbury

League leaders Torquay continued their superb start to the season with a comfortable win over Salisbury.

Chris Todd converted a Matthew Hockley cross to open the scoring before Lee Phillips scored a penalty after Darrell Clarke foul on Chris Zebroski.

Phillips crossed for strike partner Tim Sills to head home a third goal.

And Sills doubled his tally in similar fashion from Kevin Nicholson's cross deep into injury time to put the result beyond doubt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torquay: Rayner, Robertson, Todd, Woods, Nicholson, Stevens, Hockley, Hargreaves (Bedeau 46), Zebroski (Welsh 87), Sills, Phillips (Benyon 87).

Subs Not Used: Hinshelwood, Rice.

Goals: Todd 15, Phillips 40 pen, Sills 81, 90.

Salisbury: Ryan Clarke, Bass, Bond, Cook, Robinson, Darrell Clarke (Feeney 69), Turk, Fowler, Sandell, Tubbs (Brown 79), Matthews.

Subs Not Used: Bartlett, Prince, Oliver.

Att: 3,215.

Ref: Steve Creighton (Berkshire).

The run continues, and a good sized crowd to boot .Hope they can keep up the good work and get us back where we belong - in the lower half of the 2nd Division :o

yep, good crowd, they always seem to say sometimes you need to take a step back before moving forward. You could be passing one of my local teams on the way back up , Mansfield. Always had a soft spot for Mansfield because always struggling but you can see why when they have the two Sheffield teams further up the road but in the opposite direction they have Forest & D***y to contend with for fans. :D

• 2 weeks later...
2 - 0 away win at Port Vale on Saturday. it's about time we got our act together & pulled out a win. Long may it continue

Just need a couple of results, and I'm sure the ccnfidence will return. Forest have got some decent players in their squad and they should certainly not be near the bottom of the table.

2 - 0 away win at Port Vale on Saturday. it's about time we got our act together & pulled out a win. Long may it continue

Just need a couple of results, and I'm sure the ccnfidence will return. Forest have got some decent players in their squad and they should certainly not be near the bottom of the table.

Gillingham are our next opponents next Saturday, but , I think tomorrow we have the replay of the Carling Cup game against Leicester. The last one was abandoned due to one of their players having a turn at half time. Now Megson has been installed as the new boss at Leicester so should be a nice warm welcome back to the City Ground awaiting him :D

The lads back in blighty tell me it's not the players that is the problem, everybody accepts we have a decent bunch, the problem is Calderwood's negative tactics holding them back :o

The mighty Blyth Spartans beat Solihull Moors (sounds suspiciously Brummie to me) 1-0 last weekend in front of an impressive 203 fans. It was good to see the lads get back to winning ways after a 4-1 drubbing at home to Burscough the previous weekend.

Exuberant Spartans fan Bazza Armstrong speaking to the Solihull Echo after being released by the West Midlands police summed up his feelings on the win when he said, "Ya fookers divn't naa worr its leek weer a cum frim, ya daft soothen barstewards. Haddaway n <deleted> the lorra yez. Ho'way the Spartans!"

The mighty Blyth Spartans beat Solihull Moors (sounds suspiciously Brummie to me) 1-0 last weekend in front of an impressive 203 fans. It was good to see the lads get back to winning ways after a 4-1 drubbing at home to Burscough the previous weekend.

Exuberant Spartans fan Bazza Armstrong speaking to the Solihull Echo after being released by the West Midlands police summed up his feelings on the win when he said, "Ya fookers divn't naa worr its leek weer a cum frim, ya daft soothen barstewards. Haddaway n <deleted> the lorra yez. Ho'way the Spartans!"

Is that Gaelic Sunderland :D ? Definate translation needed there matey :D

Last season Silihull Borough & Moor Green merged & come with that original name for the new club :o

Archived