Do You Wear An Amulet?

NaiGreg

My wife insists (in her non-insistant style) that I, and our 5-month old daughter, wear our amulets when traveling, especially on a boat or airplane.

My amulet was presented to me by an esteemed monk whom she/we revere greatly.

Although it seems irrational, I seem to have a peaceful feeling when it is secured around my neck, but do not feel I am protected from a disaster! :o

Does anyone else here wear or carry an amulet? And, under what circumstances?

My wife also fears that an amulet on a thick gold chain will tempt thieves, so mine is secured simply on a red string.

I do, yes. Actually it's just the red string, which I've worn around my neck for 5 years now and it's not worn out yet.

It was given to me by my teacher when I took refuge with him. I don't think the specific stone, piece of paper, metal or whatever that comprises the amulet is important in itself (so your wife is quite sensible). What is important is that it was given to you by an 'esteemed monk'.

I don't believe that my string or your amulet will literally prevent disaster in the sense of making the lightening strike the ground six feet away or making that speeding truck suddenly vanish - rather it can help you achieve the right state of mind if you were faced with a disaster - and the right state of mind in more mundane situations.

I sometimes find that when I am in a situation where I am about to react negatively, if I am mindful of my string/amulet and pause to reflect on it for a moment, it reminds me of my teacher, which in turn reminds me of the qualities of the Dharma and my mood changes. But only if I am mindful of it.

I suppose you could say that in Buddhism you make your own magic, but like most magicians you need a few props!

About a year ago I was driving along the Malaysian North South Highway all the way to Singapore ferrying some samples and for the fun of driving. At Malacca I survived a 180Km/h crash which left the car a total wreck. I walked away with my "Sukhothai" and "Phra Pom" amulet. :o

I go nowhere without an amulet now. Call it superstition but I would rather believe. :D

but having buddah on your side is not a bad thing! :D

Indeed,

When fashion and faith cross it gets confusing. I've seen farangs and locals with pendants on gold chain(s) so heavy they look like some kind of Hip Hop Rapper,

Mine is small, unremarkable and attached with string. It generally reminds me to behave myself and try not to be an a..hole, (although I admit, at times I'm still very good at it, ...). mod13(angel)a.gif:o

The placebo effect for some is real and measurable. If you think something is going to affect you in a positive or negative way, it probably will.

My wife insisted that I wear Luang ba khun (no sure of correct spelling) any way he is the monk who was in a van that rolled over several times and he walked away without a scratch. He is the monk that is always in the asian squat position holding a cigarette. My brother in-law travel to Korat to meet him. He sad he speaks in a vulgar way but the people love him. Supposedly if you have his amulet around your neck , nobody can shoot or stab you. Which is a good thing, I just don't intend on trying it out. :o

Mine has a picture of a monk on it. Father in law told a story about him, he apparently put his foot in the seawater during a drought and saved the lives of people who were then able to drink it afterwards. I never ever take it off.

Father in law told a story about him, he apparently put his foot in the seawater during a drought and saved the lives of people who were then able to drink it afterwards.

Should be Long Po Tuad. Buddhist saint that hails from the South. He is the patron saint of travellers and highly revered.... good stuff you got there Penz. :o

Father in law told a story about him, he apparently put his foot in the seawater during a drought and saved the lives of people who were then able to drink it afterwards.

Should be Long Po Tuad. Buddhist saint that hails from the South. He is the patron saint of travellers and highly revered.... good stuff you got there Penz. :o

Yes! Thanks for reminding me. :D

I have a birthday buddha (wednesday) given to me by the mother in law, I'm not allowed to wear it but it's on our home shrine & my husband doesn't wear his either. He keeps them in a bag & sleeps with it above his pillow (he does a little prayer everynight to them), when he flies he pins them to an inside pocket of his shirt & it always makes me laugh when the metal detector goes off & he explains to thai airport staff what it is beeping, they never touch them & he just shows them the tissue wrapped icons, a possible security issue?! When flying in europe I make him take them off & put them through the scanner & then put them on after he's on the plane as I don't think the staff would be so accomodating!

Amulets

Yes they have their good points as you guys have mentioned. Another you might not have considered is how the Thais treat you when they see the amulet. Just day to day activities. The extreme case might be when emergency personel give you better care upon seeing your amulet.

LLL

I wear tattoos of the face of Kannon, the daughter of the Amida Nyorai whose beauty and purity turned he!! into paradise, and T'ien Lung, the dragon who guards the faith and the Three Treasures.

Very interesting.... May I ask where you got these tattoos done. I personally have some inscriptions done on my back with 7 pagodas.

• 1 month later...

There is a nice Tibetan story about this kind of thing. An old lady sent her son on a trip to a holy Buddhist mountain that was thought to be one of the homes of a particular Buddha. She was too unwell to make the trip of several months but she asked her son to bring her back a bit of rock from the mountain. The son was a bit of a feckless lad and forgot about his Mum's request until he saw his mother’s house on the return trip. Not wishing to disappoint her he bent down picked up any old bit of rock on the ground and presented it to his Mum on his return.

The old lady was delighted and immediately put the rock on her shrine and treated it as if it had come from a Buddha's pure land. The old lady clung on to life and through her practise and devotion particularly towards the rock she attained many special and peaceful attainments.

On her death bed the old ladies son confessed his lie and she turned to him and said

"My son the rock was unimportant it was my faith that has saved me." :o

padkapow guy#####My wife insisted that I wear Luang ba khun (no sure of correct spelling) any way he is the monk who was in a van that rolled over several times and he walked away without a scratch. He is the monk that is always in the asian squat position holding a cigarette. My brother in-law travel to Korat to meet him. He sad he speaks in a vulgar way but the people love him. Supposedly if you have his amulet around your neck , nobody can shoot or stab you. Which is a good thing, I just don't intend on trying it out. ############

nearly 3 years i wear the same and never i took it off

i am wearing the buddha on an selfmade leather chain which has to be cut to take off where ever i go people like to see me wearing it and asking for the price which i don't know i got it as a gift but the offer me already 20k baht ( maybe i should show it on my next trip to mae sot )

so i will not need cash ) but be honorest i believe in the power

I wear Luang Phor Somdet on a gold chain around my neck. It was given to me by a numerologist Monk a while ago.

Several weird things have happened to me since.

Once, I was on a trip with a group of people. I had forgotten my Buddha, as I had showered prior to leaving, and had left it at home. Anyway, I was on a boat, and around 5 minutes before we were due to arrive at our destination, BOOM. We had hit a submerged tree. The boat sank. Nobody hurt.

January this year. I was on the way to the Dr in a taxi, and same thing. I had left it at home after showering. BOOM. The taxi was hit by a bus. Nobody hurt.

April this year. I was in the Sth again with a Muslim friend who was driving the boat. I told him half way to our destination that I hoped nothing bad happened that day because I had forgotten my Buddha. I was told that I was just being superstitious and of course we would be OK. He was walking over to the boat and as he arrived, there was smoke billowing out of the back of the boat. BOOM. (Well not BOOM exactly - more of a pfffft). There had been an electrical short in the boat and we could not use it for the rest of the day.

But the funniest thing is this. The Monk told me that after my birthday this year, I would have such good luck. I was going to be so happy, well etc.

I got Malaria on my birthday.

BUT. The Thai's say that I am lucky. "How can you call that lucky? I got ###### malaria on my birthday and it sucked"

"You didn't die"

Amazing Thailand. :o

• 4 weeks later...

Can any one tell me what my amulate is ?? :D

I have an amulate given to me by a Thai friend many years ago.It appears to be a woman stood on a dragon (dragon boat) .Most Thai`s who see it are impressed :D

I am told it is a Chinese bhudda who flies through the Air ? :D

And you cannot eat meat (must be a vegeterean).When I have asked the name I have been told pratanar pratanum :o or something similar. I have searched google but nothing came up.

Maybe it's Kuan Yin

kwan-yin-1.jpg

Known as Drolma to the Tibetians, Tara in Sanskrit and Kuan Yin to the Chinese. She is a Buddha or Bodhisattva depending on how you define these things. The Tibetians say she is associated with active or quick compassion, she helps quickly in times of imediate danger. The vegetarian festival that is going on at the moment is strongly associated with her.

I also got Luang Po Tuad. I brought him with me from Los to UK. As I got him over 20 yrs ago from my mum. But hardly believed in anything until I had an accident,got run down by car. I didn't see nor hear the car while I crossed the road. But the most incredible thing was I didn't feel anything. It was like I was crossing the road and then woke up again in hospital. I had no serious injury apart from bruises. :D

Maybe it's Kuan Yin

kwan-yin-1.jpg

Known as Drolma to the Tibetians, Tara in Sanskrit and Kuan Yin to the Chinese. She is a Buddha or Bodhisattva depending on how you define these things. The Tibetians say she is associated with active or quick compassion, she helps quickly in times of imediate danger. The vegetarian festival that is going on at the moment is strongly associated with her.

Yes that`s the one. :D Thanks for the information always wondered.

Can`t understand where they get the pratanum from though. Perhaps I i misunderstood :o