Lime

tatom

If you do mean lime, or more precisely slaked lime, i.e. Ca(OH)2 (calcium hydroxide), the word you want is ปูนขาว. Whitewash is น้ำปูนขาว. Beware of quicklime, i.e. CaO (calcium oxide) - one of my dictionaries also translates ปูนขาว as 'quicklime'. Limestone (basically CaCO3, calcium carbonate) is หินปูน. 'Chalk' can also be translated as ปูนขาว! :o I think you are going to have to rely on the chemical symbols! The chemical names are the same in Thai as in English.

It seems as difficult as specifying a lemon instead of a lime!

Incidentally, how can I post subscript digits at this forum? They are rather necessary for chemical formulae.

If you do mean lime, or more precisely slaked lime, i.e. Ca(OH)2 (calcium hydroxide), the word you want is ปูนขาว. Whitewash is น้ำปูนขาว. Beware of quicklime, i.e. CaO (calcium oxide) - one of my dictionaries also translates ปูนขาว as 'quicklime'. Limestone (basically CaCO3, calcium carbonate) is หินปูน. 'Chalk' can also be translated as ปูนขาว! :o I think you are going to have to rely on the chemical symbols! The chemical names are the same in Thai as in English.

It seems as difficult as specifying a lemon instead of a lime!

Incidentally, how can I post subscript digits at this forum? They are rather necessary for chemical formulae.

Wow!

I think you covered all the base's.

btw , I make CaCo3 for the papermills. It is most commonly know as PCC or precipataed calcium carbonate. :D

Can someone tell me the Thai word for ground limestone. That would be lime, used in farming, to sweeten acidic soil. The written word would be most helpful.

ปูนขาว "poon kaow"=lime; calcium hydroxide

ปูนสุก "poon sohk"=lime

ปูน "poon"=lime; calcium oxide;mortar; quicklime; cement

ปูนขาวที่ยังไม่ได้ผสมกับน้ำ "poon kaow tee yang mai dai pa-som gahp nahm"=quick lime

น้ำปูนขาวสำหรับทาผนัง "nahm poon kaow sam-rap tah pa-nang"=whitewash

หินปูน "hin poon"=limestone; tartar; lime

ปูนซีเมนต์ "poon see-ment";or,ซีเมนต์ "see-ment"=cement

ปูนซีเมนต์แข็ง "poon see-ment kaeng";or,คอนกรีต "kon-kreet"=concrete

ชอล์ก "chahk";or,ปูนขาว="poon kaow"=chalk

one of my dictionaries also translates ปูนขาว as 'quicklime'

ปูนขาวที่ยังไม่ได้ผสมกับน้ำ "poon kaow tee yang mai dai pa-som gahp nahm"=quicklime :o

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

Thanks

That more than answers my question. Ive noticed the chemical formulas are very helpful when buying stuff. Some shopkeepers will just give you anything to make a sale, wheather its what you want or not. For instance, when buying trees, I will ask if they will be tall or short when mature. They usually ask, "what do you want?" Whatever I say, they tell me, "yup, this is the one you want."

Thanks again, Tom