Overstaying Your Visa Can Be Fun

I think ifonlyalabama has another problem! That is the immigration computer system will get you one day and then I think you will have a very high probability of going to the IDC while they sort out and investigate why you where allowed to leave and not pay the 20k to immigration. They can think in many way about what really happened!

Of course if you don't plan on coming bank to Thailand then just forget it!

BB

dam_n - that was my biggest worry.

I'm definitely going back to Thailand. Do you think there's any chance if I go to Thai embassy here (in Australia) and pay overstay fine or something, it could be okay?

I guess this is all unchartered territory...! It's good to know that your opinion is the computer system would catch it. I wondered if it would be automated or more manual entry, if you know what I mean.

Thanks everyone.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my personal experience the advice on this thread for anyone with a long overstay may be erroneous. I took this advice and went to Suan Phluu with a lawyer and was told to clear my overstay at the airport. They were not interested in me clearing it there at all. Luckily the lawyer was a personal friend or I would have been out of pocket as well as having wasted my time going there.

I heard of a guy that was put into IDC where he was raped and got HIV.

And I'm sure that's true, since you heard of it somewhere.

Which bar was that in ? the dogs <deleted> ? :o

I must be very outdated man, or maybe the rules has been really changed dramatically? Although I am very straightforward in following immigration laws and staying legally in Thailand for the past few years, I have been a wild rules breaker before and I have paid the maximum fine two or three times at a land boarder and return in visa exemption less than half an hour later, not to mention the tens of time, in which I have paid less for a lesser length of over stay. The times I have paid the maximum fine, were the times that I over stayed for a longer than one year, and the only question that I answered was my father name in order to comlete the immigration form's record, followed by see you soon, don't be late!!

Life in Thailand was easier and smoother, and I think the immigration got tired of the increasing of law breaker guys these days?

• 1 year later...

Dear everyone/anyone, but particularly badbanker as he seems to know what he's talking about...

I have overstayed on my visa by almost 2 months now. I intend to leave Thailand through a land border into Laos, I could (just about) pay the 20,000 baht fee - what are my chances of ending up in the IDC? secondly, if i did, and got deported, could I choose to fly to china rather than britain (im a UK citizen) - as thats where id planned to go next - rather than just getting sent back home? are they as strict at land borders as they are at airports?

also, and this is much more of a concern really...the ex-girlfriend of my dad (a chinese citizen), who in the last month gave birth to my half-sister, has also overstayed on her visa, by over 4 months. she intends to fly back to china in a months time - presumably she is likely to be sent to the IDC as well (she does not know this yet). Her mother (also chinese) is also in thailand at the moment (and has a valid visa) so could in theory take my baby sister to china on her own, but would, understandably, hate to leave her only daughter rotting in the IDC. is there any way of preventing her from being sent there? i wouldnt want to be sent there myself, and im hoping i wont be, but im certain id be able to deal with incarcaration a lot better than she would, especially as she has had to put up with a lot already...what are conditions like for women there?

as im sure you can understand, i really need some advice here, for myself, but more importantly for my ex-step-mother - as im very fond of her and would hate to see anything horrible happen to her

as a side note, i would just say that we were both given assurances from my dad, who insisted that overstaying on our visas is no problem at all as he has a friend in immigration...do you think "a friend in immigration" could realistically get us out of this mess? im sceptical to say the least, especially after reading this thread.

oh bugger.

yours worryingly,

kuntakinte

I have overstayed on my visa by almost 2 months now....

I doubt very much that "a friend in immigration" is going to help you. You are on overstay. Your best plan is to leave the country by AIR immediately. Pay the 20,000 baht fine at the airport, passport will be marked, but it does not prevent you from returning to the country or obtaining another visa. If you get stopped by the police between now and arriving at the airport you will be taken to IDC pending sentencing by a judge and deportation. You have a greater chance of being stopped on your way to a land border which is why I suggest you leave by AIR as soon as possible.

The ex-gf of your Dad is also on overstay. There may be humanitarian grounds she can stay short term on basis of recent baby and unable to travel. The birth will need registering at her embassy if not already done. The child will also need a passport to leave the country. How the process with immigration works (I guess the child will need permission to stay stamp in passport) I am not sure.

Edited by thaiphoon

dont cross landboarder, take the airport to leave,pay 20k and be friendly,tell them a firendly story and i think thats it.

landboarders are a little more difficult,,and officerss more c........ and as well sometime controlls on checkpoints near boarder

first..thanks to those who have already replied (I only wrote that a few hours ago!)

i forgot to mention...Im actually 19 - and as far as i know, the legal age of maturity in thailand is 20 - making me legally a child. are the rules the same for minors? if i get sent to the IDC, do they have a child section? are they as strict?

thanks again

first..thanks to those who have already replied (I only wrote that a few hours ago!)

i forgot to mention...Im actually 19 - and as far as i know, the legal age of maturity in thailand is 20 - making me legally a child. are the rules the same for minors? if i get sent to the IDC, do they have a child section? are they as strict?

thanks again

NB its only 20 if still unmarried

I advise see an immigration lawyer as 3 lives involved

thanks again

NB its only 20 if still unmarried

yeah, i am unmarried (im stupid enough to overstay on my visa, but not stupid enough to get married at 19!!) - another consideration is as im half thai - is im eligible for a thai passport - if i can get one, presumably i can just leave on that?

yeah, i am unmarried (im stupid enough to overstay on my visa, but not stupid enough to get married at 19!!) - another consideration is as im half thai - is im eligible for a thai passport - if i can get one, presumably i can just leave on that?

It would help if you would submit all the facts at the beginning , instead of adding new items every day.

If you are Thai you should get a Thai Passport and have no need for Visas.

It would help if you would submit all the facts at the beginning , instead of adding new items every day.

If you are Thai you should get a Thai Passport and have no need for Visas.

Get your Thai Passport .

Leave the country by Air with your current Passport , pay the Overstay at the Airport ,fly to a destination which is Visafree for Thai , enter and depart this country with your Thai Passport and return to Thailand with your Thai Passport.

For your Chinese friend it's best to return to China to apply for a new Visa .

Hi

Quick question in reading these comments, Does Immg hav no way of tracking these overstayers down? Also I now a guy who overstayed a Year paid 20000B and a 3000B fine. Came back to Thailand again on the same passport now has overstayed again 120days and really does not care. Why should they give him Free Visa to come back ??

• 1 year later...

So I have ran into a lot of troubles during my stay in Thailand, most of them my own fault. The biggest of which is financial difficulties. I thought I was going to be getting some more money but it turns out I am not, I got stranded in Koh Phanang, and couldn't leave the country to renew my Visa as I planned. I finally got some friends to loan me some money, but my Visa ended on the 18th of January. I have barely enough money to get me back to bangkok in time for my flight but from everything that I have read here they are going to want me to pay 7,000 baht in fees for my overstay. I do not have enough to take care of that. What are the consequences if I cannot pay it? Is it possible to pay later? Thanks for the info. I've really gotten myself into it now : (

I finally got some friends to loan me some money, but my Visa ended on the 18th of January. I have barely enough money to get me back to bangkok in time for my flight but from everything that I have read here they are going to want me to pay 7,000 baht in fees for my overstay. I do not have enough to take care of that. What are the consequences if I cannot pay it? Is it possible to pay later? Thanks for the info. I've really gotten myself into it now : (

Overstay payment on credit....I have read it all now...:cheesy:

My suggestion, go and make some more friends and borrow more money

If you cant pay your fine, you may be getting a holiday courtsey of Thailand finests

Considering the maximum they will fine you is THB 20,000, you had better stay in country until you get some cash.....turn up at airport with passport in hand, + THB 20,000 + and a plane ticket out of dodge

Believe you will be jailed and face court. The fine on exit would be 500 baht per day of overstay. If it goes to court believe it may be less but you will likely be held until paid. Will let someone with experience in dealing with such matters chime in when they see this post. I would make every effort you can to get enough money together so that you can exit ASAP.

If you can't pay the fine, you can expect to do some time.

You can expect to be arrested and brought before a judge, who will fine you or set a number of days you have to stay in prison if you can't pay.

Next is the problem of your air ticket. They can further hold you till you have a ticket out of the country.

• 3 months later...

Not true.

They will take you to the airport in handcuffs for everyone to see.

You are not allowed phones in your cell and you (and maybe everyone

in your cell) will be punished if caught with one.

The IDC is as bad as thai jail. You will be kept in a

room with 40+ other people, with no bed or pillows, fed sewage and only

allowed 2 hours exercise per week. There are plenty of health and safety

hazzards there too. Watch out for the bathroom floor slick with oil from

washed up dishes (gets about one person a week sent to hospital).

I want to clarify some things here for all as there seems to be a bit of misunderstanding.

Seriously, do not rely on the immigration police assisting you in any way.

Be prepared!

I was one of the unfortunates who turned up at the airport (under 42 days OS)

with a ticket to fly and a relative waiting to pay by visa. If you read the OP, as

I did when I was in your position, there are few mentions that payment needs

to be in cash.

The immigration police wouldn't even let me use their phone to call relatives

or the embassy and called the local police on me when I began making some

progress.

The court ATM also has less facilities than standard ATM's so be prepared not

to be able to get cash, even if it's in your bank. This is what landed me in jail.

Once you're in jail, they won't let you get any numbers. You can only call numbers

that you have memorised and the embassy won't lend you a penny to help.

Don't expect any help at all from the Thai officials and work on the assumption

that you're going to jail and then be deported.

So think it through, ask advice and be as prepared as you possibly can be.

It won't be bad luck that lands you in the IDC, it'll be bad planning and lack of

judgement.

Good luck.

So I have ran into a lot of troubles during my stay in Thailand, most of them my own fault. The biggest of which is financial difficulties. I thought I was going to be getting some more money but it turns out I am not, I got stranded in Koh Phanang, and couldn't leave the country to renew my Visa as I planned. I finally got some friends to loan me some money, but my Visa ended on the 18th of January. I have barely enough money to get me back to bangkok in time for my flight but from everything that I have read here they are going to want me to pay 7,000 baht in fees for my overstay. I do not have enough to take care of that. What are the consequences if I cannot pay it? Is it possible to pay later? Thanks for the info. I've really gotten myself into it now : (

Edited by tubecho