Thai Couple Being Exploited In The Uk

"My concern is to make sure that they have not fallen out of the fat into the fire"

Sadly, I would suspect that is the most likely outcome.

I think Jersey UK was suggesting that the OP may have committed some offence by offering assistance to these people. The offences under S25 (as amended) of the 1971 Immigration Act are facilitation of illegal entry, which obviously does not apply to the OP, or "knowingly harbouring" an offender. I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for seeking or offering a bit of pro bono advice.

Whether it's right to assist the subjects of this thread is a matter for individual conscience. It's perfectly reasonable to suggest that assisting lawbreakers isn't right - it all comes back to the old chestnut about picking and choosing which laws to obey, and whether a genuine strongly-held opinion justifies disobedience.

I guess we all have our differing opinions on what is a lawbreaking action and what is an acceptable form of, 'getting away with it', helping someone out of a nasty mess to continue to steal from the Gov't coppers and indirectly you and me, or stealing paper clips from work, both outside the law, but heck I have a pack of high-lighters misappropriated from work.

The stress has me gambolling off to the fridge to crack open another coldie :o

A few moral tales here I fear, but at least the OP's story has ended for now....

Moss

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Charma'

How nice of you to provide assistance - whilst I too have sympathy for folk on a personal level - even unpaid (presumably?), it is still at least assisting with (if not actually engaging in) People Trafficking........of course we only have your word that it is an Adult couple you have been seeking assistance to hide and for the reasons you state........

Anyway, even taking things at face value (LOL), you're a braver man than me Gunga Din - especially given that the Internet is not quite as Anon as it used to be / folk think it is..........

What on earth was all that about. Have you even bothered to read the threads? It is not very often I get annoyed by posts on TV, but yours has to be about the most pathetic I have read to date. It is clear from your post what particular things are on your mind when you post! :o

I am not surprised you were angry. Sh#t, I was <deleted> livid yesterday :D:D

Of course I don't think you are a kiddy fiddler (easier to spell :bah: )..........merely an unsubtle (I am not very good at subtle :D ) way of pointing out (including to others) of the potential seriousness of what you were engaged in / getting mixed up with and that even innocent explanations with good (albeit IMO misguided) intentions don't always sound quite so good when standing up in court on a wet tuesday morning looking at a man in a wig..........the internet ain't the Anon world it may once have been.

Nice clarification BTW :D

I am not surprised you were angry. Sh#t, I was <deleted> livid yesterday :D:D

Of course I don't think you are a kiddy fiddler (easier to spell :D )..........merely an unsubtle (I am not very good at subtle :o ) way of pointing out (including to others) of the potential seriousness of what you were engaged in / getting mixed up with and that even innocent explanations with good (albeit IMO misguided) intentions don't always sound quite so good when standing up in court on a wet tuesday morning looking at a man in a wig..........the internet ain't the Anon world it may once have been.

Nice clarification BTW :D

I would be more worried had I actually broken the law. There is nothing unlawful about giving advice. The people who have acted illegally are the employers of this couple. I cannot really do much about them at the moment without dragging the couple into it. But as I stated before, when they are ready to return to Thailand, I will make sure the employers get reported. To those that seem angry about the poor British taxpayer and the unfortunate unemployed, here is something to think about:

1. They have been working here for over a year without resort to any public funds (not even healthcare!)
  2. Virtually all the money they have earned has been spent in the UK
  3. Everytime they have bought something, they paid VAT
  4. In the area they were, there are never enough available workers in the service industries
  5. They were doing a hard and difficult job that not many Brits would be willing to do

So who has benefited from this situation? It is certainly not them. If at the end of two years toil they return home courtesy of HM government, I reckon they will have earned it.

There is nothing unlawful about giving advice. The people who have acted illegally are the employers of this couple. I cannot really do much about them at the moment without dragging the couple into it. But as I stated before, when they are ready to return to Thailand, I will make sure the employers get reported.

I trust that such reporting will include their new employers as well - illegal employment, not meeting the minimum wage etc. After all, you can't be selective about these things, can you?

There is nothing unlawful about giving advice. The people who have acted illegally are the employers of this couple. I cannot really do much about them at the moment without dragging the couple into it. But as I stated before, when they are ready to return to Thailand, I will make sure the employers get reported.

I trust that such reporting will include their new employers as well - illegal employment, not meeting the minimum wage etc. After all, you can't be selective about these things, can you?

Why not? :o

I would suggest you give them the exact same advice, which you readily give to Farangs, who find themselves in a similar situation.

Exactly what advice would that be? Are you referring to anything I have said in particular?

I would suggest you give them the exact same advice, which you readily give to Farangs, who find themselves in a similar situation.

Become English Teachers? :D:D

(My last post on this thread :o ).

The standard reply on the forum when a Farang has money problems or doesn't comply with visa laws,work permits,etc. is to suggest that he be deported.Not to mention the various insults directed at this same person.I personally think this lack of compassion sucks.But if things are so cut and dry for Farangs,why is it when it happens to a Thai,so many of you want to turn into mother Theresa.Everyone should be treated equally in following the rule of law,and if many of you should really be able to feel compassion, direct some of it towards your own countrymen.