Teen Reportedly Manages To Unlock Iphone

Carmine6

Supposedly takes about an hour, and then usable on outside GSM networks such as in Thailand.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/20424894/

NJ teen unlocks iPhone from AT&T network

| 24 Aug 2007 | 01:37 PM ET

Font size:

NEW YORK (AP) - A 17-year-old hacker has broken the lock that ties Apple's iPhone to AT&T's wireless network, freeing the most hyped cell phone ever for use on the networks of other carriers, including overseas ones.

Rest of article on the CNBC website.

Edited by Carmine6

so?

Is this something special?

Cos frankly many have been - quite wisely IMO - unlocking phones from their networks. Something I agree with wholeheartedly.

Only last year I got some help online to help unlock my brother british blackberry for use in his current home in India.

Yeah, the iphone does not have any disclosed method of unlocking, whereas other manufacturer's phones are unlockable. In fact even on AT&T, they will provide the unlock code to you if you've been a customer for a couple months for other phones. Apple just reached agreement with some European cell service providers so it'll be released there soon.

I think I've found the guy's listing on Ebay and his blog. They both reference each other.

His second unlocked phone is currently listed for $2,999 on Ebay. The first he is keeping. The steps to unlock are not trivial, but for those folks who have messed around with phones before, not too bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230164884672

In just a couple minutes the listing on Ebay jumped $100.

Edited by Carmine6

Ha!

Just checked and the current bid is US $99,999,999.00. :D :D :D

I think the bidders are having a bit of fun with this one. :o

TheWalkingMan

Yeah, his blog was updated and says he's gotten a "legitimate" $25,000 bid and and uncertain $100,000 bid. $25,000 would be a great reward since he's posted the instructions for free on his website including software links.

If those other guys hadn't come up with a cheap software hack I was considering trying to unlock one. Only 2 steps in there looked a little scary. The rest weren't too bad. Could probably only have gotten a couple hundred extra $ per phone, but I'd love to be able to travel with one without paying AT&T's outrageous international rates.

Only 2 steps in there looked a little scary.

You must have a steadier hand with the soldering iron than me if you find it just a little scary...

All told, this is the best approach if you don't trust Apple or AT&T to update the phone to re-lock it. It also opens up some other interesting potential for third-party software (or viruses).

Ha!

Just checked and the current bid is US $99,999,999.00. :D :D :D

I think the bidders are having a bit of fun with this one. :o

TheWalkingMan

The kid seems to have done ok. Wait until he finds out he has to pay income taxes on the trade.

http://iphonejtag.blogspot.com/

" THE iPhone HAS BEEN TRADED

Terry Daidone, the founder of Certicell contacted me this morning, and offered to make a trade for the iPhone. I traded it for a sweet Nissan 350Z and 3 8GB iPhones. I will be sending the iPhones, unlocked if they wish, to jpetrie(the first donater), gray(the reversing genius), and iProof(who is truly amazing at finding stuff online) Thanks a lot everyone. I leave for college tomorrow, and this has been a great end to a great summer. "