Farangs Speaking Only Thai

Johpa

OK, there are now in Chiang Mai literally a hundredfold more Farangs living in the area than when I was last living here on a permanent basis. And with the increased availability of work permits and increased opportunity of working in a Thai environment than in the 1980s, there are now many Farangs whose Thai is really excellent. But in the past day, having come down to the city, I have witnessd two cases where Farangs refused to speak anything other than Thai, even to other Farangs. Is this some new form of arrogance? If it is we should make efforts to stamp it out before it spreads.

I live in an area of Thailand where nobody speaks any English, but when I come into the city and a Thai speaks to me in English I honor their efforts by engaging them in English unless I feel communication is better served by my switching into Thai.

Of course on the other hand, yesterday driving down Huay Khao, we saw this elderly British gent who had stepped out of his car and was screaming holy terror, his eyes bulging, his face beet red, at these two poor middle aged women on a motorbike who clearly could understand his anger but not a word he was saying. My kids laughed all day about that scene. we are still trying to imagine the cause of his apoplectic consternation.

> I live in an area of Thailand where nobody speaks any English,

> but when I come into the city and a Thai speaks to me in English I honor

> their efforts by engaging them in English unless I feel communication is

> better served by my switching into Thai.

Me too, exactly the same. I used to just speak Thai in those cases, but it's really like you say, honor their efforts. :o

While a sometimes speak Thai with other foreigners as a joke more or less in the presence of Thais, I never met anyone who would only speak Thai.. :D Know of some people who'll only eat Thai food or only drink Thai liquor though.. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Must admit there are times when my English vocabulary deserts me and I can only think of a Thai word. Fine if one is speaking to a friend who is similarly bilingual. Problematic if one is not.

Once ended up speaking Thai to the manager on a Portugese railway station. It was the only language we had in common!

Does seem to me to be a form of arrogance,and those bastids is the kind of folks that cause the most trouble,first thing you know they will be leading the fight for litter fines,no drug testing, and human rights,overthrow of the Thai gov't, and doing things that are none of their business and getting all the rest of us including themselves kicked out of here and if not, then even more hatred towards farang,,we seem to be OK now,but wait. it will get worse,,thats one reason I rarely leave my village and never associate with farangs. :o

I love your positive outlook, Kevin! :o

Personally I haven't bumped into any of the "refuse to speak English" farangs so far, but I guess that in the case of some people/nationalities, it may actually have a logical explanation, simply that their English is a lot worse than their Thai, and that they feel really uncomfortable speaking it...

Last year, I met a Turkish bar owner on Lanta who was very happy to meet a fellow non-Thai he could communicate well with, because we both spoke Thai. His English was worse than that of the local Thais.

But I don't really know. There's a fair share of aloof farang men in Chiang Mai though, particularly in the 40 + category. I don't know if it is that I am younger that makes them a wee bit snotty, or the "I was here first" syndrome I think all of us recognize?

On the other hand, I've met many friendly people with good attitudes as well... so I suppose it's best to just ignore the rest. Live and let live.

Hmm that's a new one.. It's not like two Thais sitting in the bus trying to practice their English.. Well use the old standby.. speak to them in Essan.. Box ZEE DA.

UHHH. should bring them back to the rice paddy. :o

Must admit there are times when my English vocabulary deserts me and I can only think of a Thai word.

Thanks p1p.

I thought it was just me.

Try this with your Thai mates...

1. "'What' ple waa aray?

2. Aray

1. 'What' ple waa aray?

2. Aray (still maintaing their patience)

a couple or three rounds later, patience is exhausted....

1. 'What', ple waa aray?

2. What ple waa aray!

1.....chay :D

Of course, you'll likely need to follow up with a clear explanation of what just happened (assuming you get it :D )

what ple waa aray.

tawp waa, 'chay'

....Failure to do so could likely get you further into the 'farang baa!' category... :D

It may not seem funny, but Thais really seem to get into the word plays, and they always laugh heartily-- in the end. :o

I'm okay to carry that 'baa' monicker with some people. People are less likely to annoy the baa ones, na'? :D

Now that's more like the refined, dignified gentleman I always thought you to be. I always judged the "Ajarn" to be a misnomer, now I'm sure.

cm boy

Listen, I don't have time for idiots and fools.

Say something intelligible, or shut up. :o

Have a problem with something I said? Try to make your point in a sensible and civil way, instead of like a drunken illiterate fool. I don't tolerate them lightly.

'nuff said!