100 Men Go On Rampage At Rca Market

george

100 men go on rampage at RCA market

More than 100 men stormed into a Bangkok market and destroyed about 40 stalls early yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- Angry Royal City Avenue market stall owners remonstrate with police after more than 100 men destroyed their shops and stalls.

It took them less than 10 minutes to reduce the stalls to ruins.

Makkasan Police Station was alerted to what happened at around 4am.

Witnesses said they saw more than 20 vehicles suspiciously parked at the entrance to the market, which is near Uthai Tharam Temple and the Royal City Avenue (RCA) entertainment area, before they moved into the market and released more than 100 vandals.

"I am going to demand compensation for the damage done," Samruai Nongpong, alias Ruai RCA, said in his capacity as the market's manager.

He said all stalls in the market had operated on leased lots for more than 20 years until three months ago when landowner and businessman Suraphan Wongkarnpot suddenly refused to take the rent, citing that the lease contract had expired.

"I have told him that we will relocate once we find a new place to run the stalls, but then such a violent incident happens," Samruai said.

Lt-Colonel Pairach Saiyalert, an inspector with Makkasan police, said 17 people had lodged complaints about the shops' demolition.

"We will investigate the case further and bring culprits to justice," Pairach said. He estimated the damage to be around Bt1.2million.

One of the complainants, Lue Nakpayon, said he had operated his stall for more than 10 years and never thought that such violent means would be used against traders.

"I have never fallen behind in my rent schedule," Lue said.

He said he always paid the rent through Samruai, who assured him that the business could continue as usual even when a board was erected to demand that the stalls relocate or face legal action.

"Samruai told me that he could settle things with the landlord," Lue said. "But in whatever case talk is a much better option. One should not resort to violence."

Lue said he had heard that Suraphan had arranged to meet Samruai today.

--The Nation 2007-08-27

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And the moral of the story is....

....never settle matters peacefully, through the courts when violence will sort it for good in a few hours.

A third world country it was... a third world country it is.. and a third world country it will always be.

TIT :o

Sounds like the Sukumvit Soi 10 incident. Now, Chuwit has a park there which he proudly named after himself. I hope the gov't catches all those invovled in this incident. This has to stop. The gov't should kick some butt and do something about this and its image will improve.

Edited by Aujuba

Sounds like the Sukumvit Soi 10 incident. Now, Chuwit has a park there which he proudly named after himself. I hope the gov't catches all those invovled in this incident. This has to stop. The gov't should kick some butt and do something about this and its image will improve.

if the leases had run out they should have moved ,but destroying the stalls was'nt the answer ,some body could have been killed ,the owner should be prosicuted to the letter of the law and the stall holders allowed to trade till after the hearing ,this mafia way of dealing with this kind of situation is all to common...........

....never settle matters peacefully, through the courts when violence will sort it for good in a few hours.

A third world country it was... a third world country it is.. and a third world country it will always be.

TIT :D

.... never settle matters peacefully, through negotiations and talks when violence will sort it for good in a few days (what west thought about Iraq and Afghanistan).

So called civilized western countries they were, they are and they will always be.

---Quote from Ajarn Mark's Works"

I do not know which country you belong to, but seems like nowadays people are more relying on power, instead of peace, negotiations and talks. Governments of US and UK are the biggest liars and full of fanatics who are promoting violence and terrorism in this world. :D:o

Edited by ajarnmark

I do not know which country you belong to, but seems like nowadays people are more relying on power, instead of peace, negotiations and talks. Governments of US and UK are the biggest liars and full of fanatics who are promoting violence and terrorism in this world. :D:o
Well speaking as someone who comes from one of the countries you mention above ajarnmark and having lived in the other for almost half my life...I couldn't agree with you more. :D

.... never settle matters peacefully, through negotiations and talks when violence will sort it for good in a few days (what west thought about Iraq and Afghanistan).

So called civilized western countries they were, they are and they will always be.

---Quote from Ajarn Mark's Works"

A slight jump from a local mafia incident to World politics...

Would you care to address the issue in this thread?

I don't know the details of this particular incindent but legally removing squatters from your land is nearly impossible in Thailand.

Government has been trying to clear Bo Bae market for many years without any success.

Anybodys lease or rent "expired lately or about to??????

this could happen to you more easy than to Thai

when the law of the country is ruled by .......

Brutal force

The barrel of a gun

Big money

Welcome to the land of the unpredicted "smiles", lads!!!!!!!!

How do you think the law is ruled by in the West?

Can you defy court orders and ignore police?

I don't think so.

Thailand is a third world in a sense that the government is not strong enough yet.

Thailand is third world in every sense you can dream of.... :o

But I still love it :D

Oh, really?

And now which "Government" would that be?

ANY of the previous ones? The present one? ANY future one?

Nothing personal - this is a bit rhetorical actually - but how long have you lived in Thailand?? This is not the West my friend..

"I am going to demand compensation for the damage done," Samruai Nongpong, alias Ruai RCA, said in his capacity as the market's manager.

Demand compensation from WHO, pardon my ask?

landowner and businessman Suraphan Wongkarnpot citing that the lease contract had expired.
"I have told him that we will relocate once we find a new place to run the stalls"

This should not be an excuse - if the contract really got expired. Otherwise they will be "looking for a new place" forewer. :o

Edited by alex_aka_P

A similar thing happened to a thai person I know. He had paid 20 years rent for stalls in a fresh market, with a signed contract. The owner died long before the contract was due to expire, the son took over and decided he wanted to put a big shopping center up. Negotiated a price which the guy agreed to. Then reneged on the deal, offering the man half the amount of what he had already paid for the contract. So, the man sued. He had to put a huge deposit down with the courts, and since his source of income dried up, has been living on borrowed money since trying to get what was his due.

It is not always safe to assume that just because the owner says the lease was expired that it is necessarily true

I don't think so.

Thailand is a third world in a sense that the government is not strong enough yet.

plus i disagree with you. :D

in the west people dont give a hoot about land owners rights. squaters, ililigal residents, and simple take overs.

if you have a squater in your property in the west it can take you years and years untill the court will evict them.

if you have a tennant who rfuses to pay and vacuate the property you will find yourself in the same yeras and years untill you get your property back.

in many western countries people are weray of the justice system and when seeking speedy results use forcefull tactics to evacuate intruders.

its funy to hear coment from all our westerner friends about use of Force and gun barrels in thailand .

how do you think the spanish took south america?

how did the white man take over America?

what exactly did the brittish do in India

or the dutch in Indonesia.

Western countries have prformed the greatest crimes against humens yet they come and lecture us about thailand.... :o

Oh, really?

And now which "Government" would that be?

ANY of the previous ones? The present one? ANY future one?

Nothing personal - this is a bit rhetorical actually - but how long have you lived in Thailand?? This is not the West my friend..

Well, some government here should do something about.

Won't happen though.

I don't think so.

plus i disagree with you. :D

in the west people dont give a hoot about land owners rights. squaters, ililigal residents, and simple take overs.

if you have a squater in your property in the west it can take you years and years untill the court will evict them.

if you have a tennant who rfuses to pay and vacuate the property you will find yourself in the same yeras and years untill you get your property back.

in many western countries people are weray of the justice system and when seeking speedy results use forcefull tactics to evacuate intruders.

its funy to hear coment from all our westerner friends about use of Force and gun barrels in thailand .

Western countries have prformed the greatest crimes against humens yet they come and lecture us about thailand.... :o

Yeah, but you're talking about the days of imperial rule and empire building, that was a different era then. Greatest crimes against humans? It's people that cause the 'greatest crimes' not the country. Just cause a bunch of us come from the same place as the 'bad imperialists' don't tar us with the same brush.

High-Technology, welfare states and post-WWII guilt tripping were a world away in the olden times.

Back in the 1500s to 1900s if you didn't expand into it, someone else bloody would and you'd be the weak-country. Weak-countries get sht canned and invaded/vassel-stated and before you know it the countries someone elses to play with. It was dog-eat-dog and the poor natives were sitting ducks. Being the nice guy sounds good now, but back then nice guys would be chewed up and spat out. And half of us on TV would probably not even be here.

The empires of olde-europe decolonised like mad in the 20th century and handed the colonies back to the native folk. To be fair, would those countries be superior as they are now if the imperialists had never been around? The answer is they wouldn't. The 3rd world countries would be a zillion times worse off if it hadn't been for the bigger empires colonising them and modernising them. Hence the guilt tripping folks need to remember to weigh the balance a more before empire-slagging and ranting about things we can do nothing about.

Apart from the madcap adventures (again by two world leaders not the majority) in the middle-east countries almost all the former colonies are left to do what they want, especially in SE Asia (see vietnam war).

Its the 21st century now and things operate differently in Asia & Africa by the state of the rest of the world. And so the wild-wild east groove continues :D

one of the Thai-visa quotes

I think it was a canadian.....

ASSUME.....makes an ASS out of U and ME

it certainly applys in this case i recon

A similar thing happened to a thai person I know. He had paid 20 years rent for stalls in a fresh market, with a signed contract. The owner died long before the contract was due to expire, the son took over and decided he wanted to put a big shopping center up. Negotiated a price which the guy agreed to. Then reneged on the deal, offering the man half the amount of what he had already paid for the contract. So, the man sued. He had to put a huge deposit down with the courts, and since his source of income dried up, has been living on borrowed money since trying to get what was his due.

It is not always safe t ASSUME :o that just because the owner says the lease was expired that it is necessarily true

I was referring to the OP and the assumption made by posters that because it had been stated the contract had expired didn't necessarily make it so.

My Thai friend's situation is entirely different in that he had come to an agreement with the owner who then reneged. Guess he thought it was cheaper.

That's my guess in this situation, but not having any knowledge, merely a guess that the owner decided it was cheaper to use thugs than to negotiate.

And let's not forget the the Japanese invasion of Thailand, December 8th 1941.

Sukhumvit 10, Chatuchak, Bo Bae and now RCA market. Those stall owners and small businessmen really are up against it.

The way these rich criminals use mobs to enforce their will is disgusting.

it's sad when moderation is in short supply. If I have a serious problem with my neighbor, do I....

A. discuss it ?

B. threaten legal action

C. take a ball peen hammer, sneak up behind him and crush his skull?

There are too many people who would opt for the C. How about firm but less drastic action by the land-owner such as: turning off the power water and, if possible, locking out the deadbeat vendors (if that's what they were)?

As for authorities, they've got about as much legal teeth as a worm with bleeding gums. Just as they let 'Chuwit The Thug' off the hook, they'll do the same with the latest dickwash.

I just don't have much sympathy for vendors. They squat on people's land and then suddenly decide it's theirs. It's happened near where I live. Just some private persons plot of land. He didn't lease to anyone. They set up a temporary stall on it. Later they added to it, poured some concrete and then decided it was theirs. He's spent months trying to get them off his property as he is planning a building.

Police have been by a couple of times, but nothing is getting settled. Eventually, he'll have to start building and hope their shack collapses, I guess.

Nearly everyday I go to a shop on my way to an evening job. I park and then have to walk on a VERY busy and fast road to the shop because the entire sidewalk is taken over by vendors; including one who has put tables across the pavement so that you cannot pass by.

Sorry for the folks whose stalls were destroyed, but when the legal owner says move, best you move on.

And let's not forget the the Japanese invasion of Thailand, December 8th 1941.

And now we can add to those historic criminal annals, the take over of RCA market street vendors by the rich bully boys of Thailand :D

BTW Why don't you blame the world's evils on the original sin committed in the Garden of Eden? :o

humm..is that what you think?

can't agree with you. :o

humm..is that what you think?

can't agree with you. :o

I honestly reckon that Thailand shows more signs of being a third world country today than it did when I first set foot in it more than 35 years ago.

I can only assume that you live in some cosy little farang ghetto in Bangkok, and have no idea what's going out there in the country where a majority of the people have to survive, and deal with rampant corruption, injustices, and severely fractured infrastructure that is part of their daily lives.

If you don't think thugs descending at night, in full knowledge and probable collusion of the police, destroying the property and livelihoods of the poor, in preference to using the law to settle disputes, is not a symptom of a third world country, then I don't know what is.

Although i dont condone violence to remove tenants i know whats its like for people to hide behind/use stupid laws to avoid eviction,.i had one in a flat i owned in the uk, he did alterations inside the flat and stopped paying the rent,.as he had a child the court said he could stay for 6 months ! ,i had no choice other than to send a friend round and have a word about out of court dealing, he left when he realised the consiqenses of staying,. what would you have done ?,. then another sitution closer to home in phuket, a foreigner leased a restuarant bar and disco and built up a really good business, the lease was 10 years,.after 12 months as soon as the thai owner saw how busy/popular it had become he used heavy tactics to wear the guy down into moving out, as far as im concerned only one of these examples i have given is wrong,.

Edited by mikethevigoman