Huge Tax Hikes On Liquor And Cigarettes

Jai Dee

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

claim they are doing so to reduce consumption and hence benefit the community.

fewer smokers = fewer deaths , disabilities and family bereavements from lung and heart disease.

lower alcohol consumption = fewer road deaths and fewer alcohol related crimes (such as rape , crimes of violence and spousal abuse.)

community benefits dont come much better than that.

Cigarettes have inelastic demand curves, price changes have little effect on demand.

Governments the world over love to claim they are trying to help us, but economic theory proves they are bullshitting us..............

If we all stopped drinking and smoking they'd be in a right mess when it comes to tax collection.

As mentioned before L&M seems to have standardized to 50 from 46.

Local blend Hong Thong, I just payed 290 instead of 190 :o

Seems as local vendors in Bangkok are a bit confused about this one too.

Has anyone got the "real" prices from 7/11 or Lotus etc. to compare with??

Edited by sonnyJ

As mentioned before L&M seems to have standardized to 50 from 46.

Local blend Hong Thong, I just payed 290 instead of 190 :o

Seems as local vendors in Bangkok are a bit confused about this one too.

Has anyone got the "real" prices from 7/11 or Lotus etc. to compare with??

Bought Marlboro in BKK for the usual 60b a pack - 7/11 This morning.

I have problems understanding the Thai government's policy in taxing alcohol. (I don't mention tobacco, because I don't smoke, so I don't even know how much cost a packet of cigarettes here).

One bottle of Premium Scotch whiskey (e.g. Black Label) costs less than a low quality of wine, although the whiskey has 40% alcohol and the wine only 12%.

If the consumption of alcohol really was of concern to the government, then it would tax according to the alcohol percentage and the tax on wine would have to be drastically reduced. But by taxing very high the wine, a "luxury product" for the average Thai, the Government makes it clear that the Taxes have nothing to do with health concerns, but a lot with money.

It is with alcohol like with gasoline or tobacco: first start a huge campaign to create a bad conscience for consuming it, then levy all the taxes you want, regardless of any visible effect; the government is always "morally" right.

So when the do gooders who love to tell people what to do and ask the govt to tax the heck out of cigs and alcohol finally shut up, can they please explain where the taxes on cigs and alcohol go because for sure they collect more in tax than they spend on this group of people.

Those who do not drink or smoke should kiss the ground those who do walk on or their tax bills would sky rocket.