A Pissed Off Thai Guy

snowflake

I am truly amazed at how many of you would just up sticks and move home over an argument. Times change I guess. Where is this place again, maybe we can pick up a property bargain.

Maybe you're a newbie, maybe you've been around for years. I don't know. But you don't get it.

The first thing to do is to move to a safe place as quickly as possible. Take wife and children . If the situation changed or if it turns out that the threat is b0ll0cks, then you may come back.

SAFETY FIRST.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the situation, but I do know something about Southern Thailand.

There is a body burried somewhere under the asphalt of a road in Hat Yai. The ex-boyfriend of my sister-in-law was responsible for that one. How many more has he taken care of I wouldn't know. Her current husband had accidentally killed a boy in a motorcycle accident. He is big and strong as an ox. He moved to Samui from Nakhon Si Thammarat because he was warned he was going to be killed. It took a few years, but he has been able to resolve the situation with time and a cash payment to the family.

My other sister-in-law's husband went to jail for shooting a guy in a road-rage situations. He spent two or three years in jail before being let go on the King's Birthday. If he had money he could have gotten out in a month or two.

If this angry Thai wants the farang dead, then he will hire someone to kill the farang. He will also pay the police/government to get the killer out of jail. The only reason this won't happen would be because the guy is a farang. That is his only saving grace. If he was Thai he would already be dead. The angry Thai is probably weighing the international implications of the situation, aware that the news would spread beyond the local area.

I don't know the situation, but I do know something about Southern Thailand.

There is a body burried somewhere under the asphalt of a road in Hat Yai. The ex-boyfriend of my sister-in-law was responsible for that one. How many more has he taken care of I wouldn't know. Her current husband had accidentally killed a boy in a motorcycle accident. He is big and strong as an ox. He moved to Samui from Nakhon Si Thammarat because he was warned he was going to be killed. It took a few years, but he has been able to resolve the situation with time and a cash payment to the family.

My other sister-in-law's husband went to jail for shooting a guy in a road-rage situations. He spent two or three years in jail before being let go on the King's Birthday. If he had money he could have gotten out in a month or two.

If this angry Thai wants the farang dead, then he will hire someone to kill the farang. He will also pay the police/government to get the killer out of jail. The only reason this won't happen would be because the guy is a farang. That is his only saving grace. If he was Thai he would already be dead. The angry Thai is probably weighing the international implications of the situation, aware that the news would spread beyond the local area.

Remind me again why we choose to live here ? :o

What happens when you have the unfortunate episode of getting a very vindictive Thai guy pissed off...

Should you leave town and hope he will not follow you?

Should you stand up and fight it (police, mafia, friends, embassy)

Should you never have started in the first place?

Have anyone here ever gotten a Thai so pissed off that you feared for your life?

A guy here in town did that the other day. I don't know him but I do know that Thai guy (would not mess with him, since he has got money and power)

Now my dillemma here is that I do not know the farang, should I help him... (people that knows me would know that I dont care)... and just wish him good luck...

I have seen the Thai guy angry before but never this angry, I think that someone really pissed him off...

What should the foreigner do and what should I do?

:o

Not sure what to do but very interested in knowing what happens.

Thai guy sounds like a typical sleezeball bully who did not get his way

This I witnessed about 20 years ago.

The village druggie made the mistake of insulting my ex father in law. My ex brother in law took offence and proceeded to chase the guy down the street with a live grenade.

Meanwhile the family scrambled around looking for the grenade pin while other villagers tried to calm my ex brother in law down.

The pin was found and replaced in the grenade. It ended up being buried in the backyard somewhere.

The druggie was frog marched to my ex father in law and made to apologize profusely. He was being humiliated by the ex brother in law at the same time he was apologizing.

This same ex brother in law had previously spent time in jail for shooting a pervert who he caught spying on his sisters while they showered.

Sometimes it’s just not worth upsetting people.

This I witnessed about 20 years ago.

The village druggie made the mistake of insulting my ex father in law. My ex brother in law took offence and proceeded to chase the guy down the street with a live grenade.

Meanwhile the family scrambled around looking for the grenade pin while other villagers tried to calm my ex brother in law down.

The pin was found and replaced in the grenade. It ended up being buried in the backyard somewhere.

The druggie was frog marched to my ex father in law and made to apologize profusely. He was being humiliated by the ex brother in law at the same time he was apologizing.

This same ex brother in law had previously spent time in jail for shooting a pervert who he caught spying on his sisters while they showered.

Sometimes it's just not worth upsetting people.

better to stay away from this class of people altogether I think. A grenade, he he. Outrageous.

better to stay away from this class of people altogether I think. A grenade, he he. Outrageous.

Just think of how many guys like this you encounter on your walks back from walking street.

Another reason to stay in a posh city condo as opposed to the boonies.....

Money can emolliates many situations,

A "charitable" donation to him, his family or business may help.

Now if he's plain unstable, prone to violence and inconsolable there's little else you can do.

Based on how credible the threat and his level of comfort regarding his safety a temporary relocation may be prudent however inconvenient or unpalatable. :D

As I tell everyone, your far from home, your safety is your responsibility, basically there is no one to help you.

Your Embassy is not going to provide you around the clock protection, nor can a drinking buddy, wife, GF or tentative Thai friend.

Your a stranger in a strange land and compromises will always have to be made. :o

Edited by cobra

Just think of how many guys like this you encounter on your walks back from walking street.

I wouldn't call Walking Street the boonies. Plenty of posh condos all around Pattaya.

I wouldn't call Walking Street the boonies. Plenty of posh condos all around Pattaya.

I actually meant up country, not pattaya. I think most of us are better off living in high end accomodation where you get a better class of Thai person and generaly not the kind of people who run around gobbing off about death threats. I know there can always be exceptions but I suppose if you move into village life (probably the equivalent of a western housing project/ council estate in terms of education and culture) then there will be more chance of having run ins with the lower end of society.

The angry Thai is probably weighing the international implications of the situation, aware that the news would spread beyond the local area.

Do you really think that the sort of person who makes death threats in a road rage incident really ponders international consequences? :o

As for westerners being killed in NST, I know of one guy getting stabbed in a robbery. That was several years ago, as I understand. NST isn't exactly a farang shooting gallery.

Any news from the OP ?

They probably got their belongings in a pickup like the beverly hillbillies and high tailing it out of dodge :o

Texas Ranger-

Just curious about your chosen moniker/avatar, your wild west references and tough "talk". Some sort of cowboy envy? Strange for someone from the U.K.

That's like me calling myself "Scotland Yard".

Any news from the OP ?

They probably got their belongings in a pickup like the beverly hillbillies and high tailing it out of dodge :o

Texas Ranger-

Just curious about your chosen moniker/avatar, your wild west references and tough "talk". Some sort of cowboy envy? Strange for someone from the U.K.

It's a private family joke concerning my occupation and the location of where I work (give you 2 guesses).

You may not be aware, but this is the internet and your avatar doesn't need to have any bearing on real life, if that were true there would be some strange Thai/Western hybrid types on here. As for the "tough talk" I would imagine that is some pathetic attempt to get a bite out of me, but for the record unlike some people, I speak as I find, sometimes people don't like it but I speak the truth and stand up for what I believe in.

Any more questions?

I wonder about how long the people who claim that most Thais are all talk and no action have lived here? In the few years I've been here, in my village and neighbouring villages, there have been numerous killings because someone lost face or was p1ssed about something. My fatherinlaw just went to a funeral party tonight for a 60 year old dude who was killed 2 days ago because he drunkenly said something that the other younger fella didn't like, and got half his head chopped off. The guy that did the chopping's family tried to offer the victim's family cash so he didn't have to go to jail but the victim's fam has pretty much said fock you we want blood...it's always cash or more blood, the police don't seem to involve themselves too much in village affairs.

I would think, unless your friend has a complete life in this town (wife, kids, house, etc), that he should do the bolt. If he does have all of the above try paying them out.

I wonder about how long the people who claim that most Thais are all talk and no action have lived here? In the few years I've been here, in my village and neighbouring villages, there have been numerous killings because someone lost face or was p1ssed about something. My fatherinlaw just went to a funeral party tonight for a 60 year old dude who was killed 2 days ago because he drunkenly said something that the other younger fella didn't like, and got half his head chopped off. The guy that did the chopping's family tried to offer the victim's family cash so he didn't have to go to jail but the victim's fam has pretty much said fock you we want blood...it's always cash or more blood, the police don't seem to involve themselves too much in village affairs.

My cousin (he was also my neighbour) was killed over 20 bahts. A first blow to the head (with an iron bar). As he was not dead, his killer then stabbed in the temple. Just to make sure.

The victim had also killed someone a few years ago. For no reason.

I have been coming to Nakhon for thirty years. My family live about sixty km outside town, though many are in amphoe Muang. One of my uncles was shot and killed four months after causing someone to lose face. The offended party had a long memory and had given warnings, he did it himself. He never went to jail, payed of the police. My grandfather was kidnapped in 1977 and held for three months until a ransom of B3 million was paid. There was never any doubt that they would kill him if they were not paid. I know of dozens of cases from my relatives of people being gunned down, some for what we would consider trivial perceived offenses.

Sure, the farang in this case will probably never have a problem and all will be forgotten. But maybe not. Maybe something will happen. It only takes one meeting in the evening where one of the parties is drunk and things could look very different. This is a small town really, and you can be sure they will eventually frequent the same establishment. Or maybe the Thai won't forget. Who knows? Is it worth the risk? You only die once.

Farang in Nakhon rarely see the dark side of the place. They are basically outsiders, they are not normally involved in the things that get one killed. Though a few have over the years. Considering how few farang are in Nakhon and especially up to about five years ago, I am sure you would find it statistically significant.

Don't get me wrong, I truly like Nakhon and intend to stay here for many years. Sure, maybe you are statistically more likely to get yourself killed here but the chances are pretty remote. Much more likely to get killed by one of the lunatic drivers in town! It certainly makes life exciting! :o

Any news from the OP ?

They probably got their belongings in a pickup like the beverly hillbillies and high tailing it out of dodge :D

Texas Ranger-

It's a private family joke concerning my occupation and the location of where I work (give you 2 guesses).

You may not be aware, but this is the internet and your avatar doesn't need to have any bearing on real life, if that were true there would be some strange Thai/Western hybrid types on here. As for the "tough talk" I would imagine that is some pathetic attempt to get a bite out of me, but for the record unlike some people, I speak as I find, sometimes people don't like it but I speak the truth and stand up for what I believe in.

Any more questions?

Not an attempt at anything, "pathetic" or otherwise. Just that in the States and especially in Texas the Rangers are held in pretty high esteem (as I am sure you are aware). They earn their badges and reputation.

Nothing personal, as I said just curious about your choice. Chill. If I have more questions I'll ask. Thank you. :o

Sorry for getting off topic guys. :D

Any news from the OP ?

They probably got their belongings in a pickup like the beverly hillbillies and high tailing it out of dodge :D

Texas Ranger-

Any more questions?

Not an attempt at anything, "pathetic" or otherwise. Just that in the States and especially in Texas the Rangers are held in pretty high esteem (as I am sure you are aware). They earn their badges and reputation.

Nothing personal, as I said just curious about your choice. Chill. If I have more questions I'll ask. Thank you. :o

Sorry for getting off topic guys. :D

Yes it was, how about the "cowboy envy" gag? Grow up.

Back to topic, I spoke with some Thais last night and they all agreed that this paying off the police after murder is confined to the very top echelons of society here and that if you were to commit murder up country you will go to gaol, period. I am sure some ex pat will know better but this is what the Thai's including my missus are saying.

I still reckon the guy in the original post has little to worry about, in my experience ( and I have had my life threatened in my job) those that talk about it (violent acts or death threats) almost never do it. It is the impulsive nutters you need to worry about.

Yes, it's certainly true that some go to jail for murder. What I don't understand is in Thailand some murderers get 7 or 20 years in jail, or yes, more. However, a farang who had 3000 pills of ecstacy gets 99 years? It just doesn't make sense. You're not killing somebody by giving them ecstacy. Well, life just isn't fair, I guess.

Yes it was, how about the "cowboy envy" gag? Grow up.

Back to topic, I spoke with some Thais last night and they all agreed that this paying off the police after murder is confined to the very top echelons of society here and that if you were to commit murder up country you will go to gaol, period. I am sure some ex pat will know better but this is what the Thai's including my missus are saying.

I still reckon the guy in the original post has little to worry about, in my experience ( and I have had my life threatened in my job) those that talk about it (violent acts or death threats) almost never do it. It is the impulsive nutters you need to worry about.

Not my experience, but then there is a common misconception among Bangkok Thais that they understand the upper South.

As well, if the person in question has really pissed someone off enough to the point that the Thai person won't even negotiate then my recommendation, having lived in the Upper South for many years, would be to leave. Soon. He may not do anything now, when everyone is still talking about it, but will do something eventually, when it fades in people's minds and he won't be the first one to fall under suspicion.

Or at least, this has been my experience of Thai-Thai disputes in the time I have lived in Thailand. Perhaps it will be different for a farang. But, if it were me, I wouldn't take my chances.