NLA Committee To Review Alcohol Control Bill Today

Jai Dee

NLA committee to review alcohol control bill today

An ad hoc committee studying the draft of the alcohol control bill under the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) is scheduled to hold a meeting today (August 31st) to decide whether to ban alcohol advertisements around the clock.

The committee member and inspector of the Ministry of Public Health, Md. Narong Sahamethaphat (ณรงค์ สหเมธาพัฒน์), reveals that the bill draft has progressed much and the meeting today will consider Article 31, which concerns a 24-hour ban on alcohol advertisements in all forms of media.

The meeting will also look into Article 32, which bans alcohol-brand logos on items including umbrellas, caps, and glasses.

The bill is expected to be completed in September and will be submitted to the Cabinet for enforcement later.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 31 August 2007

good news!

aldo it would't make a difference at all.

but its a start.

NLA committee to review alcohol control bill today

An ad hoc committee studying the draft of the alcohol control bill under the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) is scheduled to hold a meeting today (August 31st) to decide whether to ban alcohol advertisements around the clock.

The committee member and inspector of the Ministry of Public Health, Md. Narong Sahamethaphat (ณรงค์ สหเมธาพัฒน์), reveals that the bill draft has progressed much and the meeting today will consider Article 31, which concerns a 24-hour ban on alcohol advertisements in all forms of media.

The meeting will also look into Article 32, which bans alcohol-brand logos on items including umbrellas, caps, and glasses.

The bill is expected to be completed in September and will be submitted to the Cabinet for enforcement later.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 31 August 2007

OK people don't take me the wrong way as I am not an expert on the effects of advertising, but how much will this really deter drinkers from drinking?

I mean you need some anti-antiperspirant or something, you see an ad for a good looking brand and you buy it because it looks appealing. Same for a new chocolate bar or the likes.

But alcohol ?

I can't really understand how a non-drinker would suddenly be coaxed into ordering a large Singha beer instead of a cola etc because they saw the brand name on an umbrella or a glass etc.

But then again I could be completely wrong.

Just curious is all.

I am not much for these kind of bans. I do think some measure of control is needed, but outright bans are a little too much infringement on my right to know, I guess.

These ads do have an affect on people (otherwise companies wouldn't advertise), and they have a big affect on young people. Some of this stuff has been pretty thoroughly researched. The other thing is that so many of the ads particularly target younger people. The ads make it very cool to drink, and particularly cool to drink XXXX brand of beer.

Seldom do you see ads with people that aren't in their 20's.