Non-b >> retirement visa?

I am 51, from the US, unmarried, and living in Chiang Mai.  I have a pension from the US which is > 65000 baht per month and would like to get a retirement (OA) visa.  I currently have a Non-Immigrant "B" visa.

I have read that one needs to have a Non-Immigrant visa before applying for the OA.  Can that Non-Immigrant visa be type "B" or must it be type "O"?  I would like to go directly from my B to the OA.  

Comments?

Hop across a border and apply for an O Visa for retirement purposes.   Go to Immigration in Chiang Mai with adequate

evidence of your retirement income, and apply for a one year  extension. Do that for 3 consecutive years and you should be eligible for residency. If you plan to travel, get a multiple

re-entry permit from Immigration each year. The Consulate could just leave the B there pending its expiry, or they could simply void it without prejudice.

Well, I went out to Chiang Mia immigration and the agent didn't make much noise about my non-Immigrant type B visa.  She just looked at it and nodded.  She then told me I needed to have my pension certified by the US consulate and that I needed to transfer 800,000 baht into my bank in Thailand!

I asked her if I really needed to transfer 800000 baht since my pension is well over the 65000 baht per month threshold. She said 200000 would be enough.  She gave me the forms, said it could all be done in a few weeks and seemed pleasant.

I thought I shouldn't have to transfer any money at all, but a buddy here says they want to see evidence that the pension money is coming into the country.  About 3 months worth, which would be 195000 or about 200000 baht.

Confused.

Hi Mesquite,

Regulations for Retirement Visa say:

Non-Imm O visa to be got in your Home Country

AND

800k in a Bank OR 65k income per month.

You are being given an opportunity

by having your B visa accepted

and a compromise on the Financial side.

I have found that Immigration Officers do have

wide discretionary powers to favour individuals who they consider to be desirable "residents" in Thailand.

Good luck

Roger

• 4 weeks later...
Ah , just to serve notice I would hold on to that B Visa for the time being my friend.  If the new rules and fees go into effect, I have heard that the requirement will be 1.5 million baht in Bank or combo yearly.   Once you get that retirement, your done.  You cannot reverse it as told by the Houston Consulate.  You can fly around with the B but not the O-A.  Just told recently 3 days ago from Houston.  :blues:

Once you get that retirement, your done.  You cannot reverse it as told by the Houston Consulate.  You can fly around with the B but not the O-A.

You can not work on a retirement visa if that is what you are talking about but of course you can change a visa class if your situation changes.  As for "you can fly around" have no idea what you are talking about.  Care to explain?