Tourist Killed In High Speed Motorcycle Crash...........

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya City News: August 31st 2007

Foreigner killed in high speed motorbike crash on Pattaya Beach.

High powered motorbikes can be hired in many locations around Pattaya. Many of the companies who rent out these bikes do not offer insurance and will not offer any advice relating to road safety.

Because of this many will rent the bikes and in some cases become involved in road accidents, some of which result in death. This is one such case from Pattaya Beach Road in front of the Best Friend Beer Bar Complex which occurred in the early hours of Friday Morning and led to the death of a middle-eastern tourist who was not hearing a safety helmet and appeared to be in a drunken state moments before the crash.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Tanagit from Pattaya Police Station and Sawang Boriboon Rescue Workers were called to the scene and efforts to revive the unconscious victim were unsuccessful due to a major head trauma and suspected internal injuries.

The victim was not carrying any forms of identification but is thought to be of middle-eastern descent. He was seen driving a Blue Yamaha R1 1,100 cc motorbike and was seen to be driving erratically seconds before the crash. He then clipped a food vending cart at high speed and then collided with an Electric Box located on the side of the road.

Rescuers confirmed the man was still breathing when they arrived but moments later he passed away. The body is now at the Morgue at Banglamung Hospital awaiting identification as Police contact the rental company for more information on the victim.

Graphic photographs of head injuries withheld for reasons of respect and dignity to deceased family.

There are so many high speed motorcycles for rent in Pattaya it's a wonder we see so few accidents on them...and it's mostly the young, foolhardy guys you see renting them.

Although I enjoy a ride on a superbike, I wouldn't take the risk of renting one due to uncertainty over how they've been maintained. They really should only be ridden on a race track where collisions are less likely.

There are so many high speed motorcycles for rent in Pattaya it's a wonder we see so few accidents on them...and it's mostly the young, foolhardy guys you see renting them.

Although I enjoy a ride on a superbike, I wouldn't take the risk of renting one due to uncertainty over how they've been maintained. They really should only be ridden on a race track where collisions are less likely.

At least on the race track everyone is going in the same direction albeit at different speeds. :o

One reason you see so many cutting lose on the big bikes is these folk could only look at them at home. In Pattaya they can get to play with them and have the impression that they can buy teir way out of trouble if they get caught doing something wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

No sympathy for him what so ever.

Theres no roads in Patts that warrant a superbike and most of the roads are not in great condition either. Last night I saw a couple of lads race past on superbikes along Beach road and nearly slam into the back end of a baht bus who decided to stop...

Theres no roads in Patts that warrant a superbike and most of the roads are not in great condition either. Last night I saw a couple of lads race past on superbikes along Beach road and nearly slam into the back end of a baht bus who decided to stop...

The guy is dead and you have no sympathy for him,bit harsh eh? :o

The guy is dead and you have no sympathy for him,bit harsh eh? :o

A guy riding a superbike drunk with no helmet. Sympathy?

Glenbat is right, there's no place for superbikes capable of around 300 km/h on city streets.

A lot of the guy's of middle east descent get these bikes and go crazy.

A couple of years ago I was walking up 2nd road in the way back to Sabai lodge and two of themn were revving bikes together but not in control of them. They were speaking French not Arabic and I mentioned this to the ec as I lived in Belgium at the time as I thought they had as Belgian accent for French.

Five minutes later I saw the results - one dead oposite Big C the other guy distraught.

A lot of them seemed to get the bikes outside 7-11 beside Soi Pattayaland 2 and learn to drive them up that road for the first time.

SNIP

A lot of them seemed to get the bikes outside 7-11 beside Soi Pattayaland 2 and learn to drive them up that road for the first time.

Yep that's right, I was sitting in the Shamrock Bar (with my orange juice) one day when one of the renters demolished a whole row of step through bikes parked in a line nicely outside the Penthouse Hotel. Couldn't believe how he simply revved the bike up and let go the clutch, he simply had no idea of the power of these things. Dare say it cost him a fair bit in compensation for the five or six wrecked motor bikes.

Edited by Rimmer

This is not a racist comment but i have noticed that the lads from the middle east do seem to be quite eratic,im surprised there isnt more deaths, 125 cc is plenty big enough around pattaya,to ride a bike that cant stop as well as it goes forward is fatal in this area for sure,

SOURCE: Pattaya City News: August 31st 2007

Foreigner killed in high speed motorbike crash on Pattaya Beach.

High powered motorbikes can be hired in many locations around Pattaya. Many of the companies who rent out these bikes do not offer insurance and will not offer any advice relating to road safety.

Because of this many will rent the bikes and in some cases become involved in road accidents, some of which result in death. This is one such case from Pattaya Beach Road in front of the Best Friend Beer Bar Complex which occurred in the early hours of Friday Morning and led to the death of a middle-eastern tourist who was not hearing a safety helmet and appeared to be in a drunken state moments before the crash.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Tanagit from Pattaya Police Station and Sawang Boriboon Rescue Workers were called to the scene and efforts to revive the unconscious victim were unsuccessful due to a major head trauma and suspected internal injuries.

The victim was not carrying any forms of identification but is thought to be of middle-eastern descent. He was seen driving a Blue Yamaha R1 1,100 cc motorbike and was seen to be driving erratically seconds before the crash. He then clipped a food vending cart at high speed and then collided with an Electric Box located on the side of the road.

Rescuers confirmed the man was still breathing when they arrived but moments later he passed away. The body is now at the Morgue at Banglamung Hospital awaiting identification as Police contact the rental company for more information on the victim.

Graphic photographs of head injuries withheld for reasons of respect and dignity to deceased family.

It dosent always have to be the big bikes either, and friend and me were sat in a cafe in phuket when a guy had just that minute rented a step through semi auto 125, he had no sooner than handed over the money that he revved the bike clicked it into 1st and launched it straight into a barbacue barrow,. we fell about ( no one was injured ) he hadnt even got in firsr gear and was now negotiating for damages caused,.

• 2 weeks later...

Who is really to blame for this man's death?

Yes i know he was drunk, yes i know he had no crash helmet and was driving eracticly at speed but i've asked this same question time and time again.

Why oh why are the bike rental outfits in Thailand leasing high powered superbikes on the strenth of a passport.

Nowhere in my passport does it say i can ride a high powered superbike for that i need a motorbike licence something that is never requested by any of the rental companies.

The mind boggles at what the Thai's can get away with.

Who is really to blame for this man's death?

Yes i know he was drunk, yes i know he had no crash helmet and was driving eracticly at speed but i've asked this same question time and time again.

Why oh why are the bike rental outfits in Thailand leasing high powered superbikes on the strenth of a passport.

Nowhere in my passport does it say i can ride a high powered superbike for that i need a motorbike licence something that is never requested by any of the rental companies.

The mind boggles at what the Thai's can get away with.

Can't ride it ... Don't rent it !

Simple really. Can't always protect morons from themselves.

Naka.

Edited by naka

It dosent always have to be the big bikes either, and friend and me were sat in a cafe in phuket when a guy had just that minute rented a step through semi auto 125, he had no sooner than handed over the money that he revved the bike clicked it into 1st and launched it straight into a barbacue barrow,. we fell about ( no one was injured ) he hadnt even got in firsr gear and was now negotiating for damages caused,.

Fortunately most of the small bikes being rented now are fully automatic.

I once came across a guy who had a bad accident on a Honda Wave which went to 1st gear straight from 4th. It's like locking the brakes at 60km/h.

I happen to know a bit more news about this story . I spoke to the guy that rents motorcycles across the soi from him . ( Soi 8 that is ) It was a 2004-5 Yamaha R1 . Last time I saw the bike it was in quite good condition , Blue and white with a couple of dragons on each side behind the seat .

His friend had to pay 150,000baht soon after and is sending another 200-250,000 from the family , when he gets back home ( Don't know how they arranged this )

Pretty expensive holiday for the drunken idiots friend .

Personally I have nothing against the rental outfits , other than they should be made keep their bikes of the street and in a proper car yard somewhere where they aren't chewing up all the parking spaces .

Idiots rent bikes , buy guns , drink and get into fights , drink drive , etc.

Idiots also pay the same money as others , so you cannot blame the guys renting someone a bike , even though they know when they put it in first gear before they leave , you can tell that they have never riden this style of bike . What he does nine hours after renting him the bike is not really the rental companies fault . Same goes if he bought the bike from someone and killed himself on it some hours or days later .

I own 2 superbikes , there are plenty of good roads to get them out on . Driving around in crawling traffic though is certainly hard work on these bikes . Although I feel safer knowing that with a twist of the throttle I am out of there , and have twin disks on the front sufficient enough to lift the back wheel off the ground when needed . I have ridden the waves etc. and they do nothing to make me feel comfortable . Both times I have rented small bikes for a day , I have returned them within 6 hours of hiring them .

Just my opinion . Stop blaming the poor guy trying to make a living , and look at this guy that gets plastered and tries showing off to some girls up a soi . :o

In Vietnam bikes are limited to a maximum of 125 / 150cc (or they were four years back when I worked there). As VN is now at the stage of Thailand 20 years ago - some cars around, but most people can only afford mo'bikes (and no crash hats - the girls wear the conical straw hats to keep their hair in place), the place is relatively accident-free.

I personally think that something of the same would benefit Thailand, although there are still enough idiots around demonstrating that you can get killed on a 125 just as you can on a 950cc.

I own 2 superbikes

Superbikes are not suitable for any roads in Thailand. They belong on a race track.

The problem is obvious, they're renting very fast machines to people who don't have a clue how to ride them, and even if they knew, what's the point of a bike capable of 300km/h?

It's absurdity in the extreme.

Obvously you can't see this logic because you have 2 superbikes.

Gotta agree...never seen a road anywhere in Thailand which is suitable for a superbike (or even a Ferrari for that matter). Maybe there might be just one.....the elevated Bangna-Trat tollway at about 3am. But only 70km I think so only 20 minutes each way.

Edited by sibeymai

In Vietnam bikes are limited to a maximum of 125 / 150cc (or they were four years back when I worked there). As VN is now at the stage of Thailand 20 years ago - some cars around, but most people can only afford mo'bikes (and no crash hats - the girls wear the conical straw hats to keep their hair in place), the place is relatively accident-free.

I personally think that something of the same would benefit Thailand, although there are still enough idiots around demonstrating that you can get killed on a 125 just as you can on a 950cc.

The first thing i noticed after flying into phnom penh and getting a taxi was how slow the traffic goes,. i kid you not its like they are all on weed !, the traffic seems to be organised chaos and motos coming at you from all directions,. strange,

Gotta agree...never seen a road anywhere in Thailand which is suitable for a superbike (or even a Ferrari for that matter). Maybe there might be just one.....the elevated Bangna-Trat tollway at about 3am. But only 70km I think so only 20 minutes each way.

You gotta ask, is there anywhere in the world suitable for superbikes other than on the race track? Any mishap above 150km/h means certain death on a public road. People can survive very high speed crashes on a race track if they don't hit anything solid and they're wearing very heavy duty protective gear.

You may have noticed that most of the youngsters riding the superbikes around Pattaya are wearing no protective gear at all. Usually sandals (even flip-flops), shorts and t-shirts (sometimes topless) and sometimes no helmet...and often with no licence and drunk.

The only possible purpose for a superbike on a public road is for an ego boost...the feeling of power it gives suitably impressed (usually young) people.

With all the laws governing personal safety while driving motor vehicles, i.e. seatbelt laws, cellphone use while driving, alchohol consumption, child restraints, air bags, speed limits etc. you'd wonder why can can still be legally sold and driven on public roads back at home.

So many very young people snuff themselves out on these. I almost did myself when I was 23 years old...I now ride like a pussy on a 125cc automatic afraid of speeds above 60km/h...whereas back in my late teens and early 20's I used to cruise at full throttle on superbikes...which at the time were capable of speeds of 240-250km/h.

Edited by tropo

I own 2 superbikes

Superbikes are not suitable for any roads in Thailand. They belong on a race track.

now theres a statement - perhaps you could elaborate further, I suspect you have had a bad experience in the past, I have found many good roads in thailand - you may as well apply this statement to any country, maybe you don't like big bikes, maybe you are frightened, maybe you are missinformed, maybe you just type things for effect, maybe you have a history !!!!!

a motorbike is as safe as the rider makes it, track use for any vehicle is going to be safer - I know I did it, riding a motorbike in any road in the world is dangerous and it's not about size, 100cc or 1000cc makes no difference, make a mistake or someone else make a mistake and you'll be injured or dead, that's the risk with bikes

Edited by gharknes

I own 2 superbikes

now theres a statement - perhaps you could elaborate further, I suspect you have had a bad experience in the past, I have found many good roads in thailand - you may as well apply this statement to any country, maybe you don't like big bikes, maybe you are frightened, maybe you are missinformed, maybe you just type things for effect, maybe you have a history !!!!!

Maybe you should read a post before you respond as all the answers to your questions would have been answered.

There's no maybe's about it, you definitely don't have a clue?

lol

all people that drive on public roads take a risk, bike more so, I know my risks - did you

look I don't want to continue this any further as it's bad karma even talking about it, but your statement about Thai roads and big bikes was just plain stupid and ill informed---------admit it

now driving round pattaya is a different matter

I own 2 superbikes

The problem is obvious, they're renting very fast machines to people who don't have a clue how to ride them, and even if they knew, what's the point of a bike capable of 300km/h?

It's absurdity in the extreme.

Obvously you can't see this logic because you have 2 superbikes.

Sorry , I missed this post , so I will try to explain my apparent stupidity .

Firstly , I don't believe either of my bikes would do 300klm/hr , especially while I am on them .

Secondly I don't find choppers comfortable to ride .

I just did a ride from Pattaya to Roi-et via Surin and other than a little roadworks and a messed up road just out of Surin , It was a great ride .

Next time home , I want to do Roi Et to Udon and then up to Nong Kai . You sit in your safe world which you enjoy , and I'll do my thing and enjoy mine .

The fact is this guy was drunk , and showing off , and probably could have had the same outcome on a honda steed , or a toyota corrolla for that matter .

If Somchai didn't rent him the bike Poong would have . He was an adult , and had the right to do his thing on his holiday . Just lucky it didn't involve any other people . I don't think that you will see a decline in the amount of large bikes in Thailand , In fact I see it growing quite rapidly .

Nuff said , Just think the blame should be put more on the alcohol and the guy's own stupidity than Somchai .

lol

all people that drive on public roads take a risk, bike more so, I know my risks - did you

look I don't want to continue this any further as it's bad karma even talking about it, but your statement about Thai roads and big bikes was just plain stupid and ill informed---------admit it

now driving round pattaya is a different matter

Lol, you're now going to try and convince people that fast accelerating, high speed superbikes are no riskier than small bikes capable of only a fraction of the speed. That's a good example of "plain stupid and ill informed"....admit it.