Tourist Killed In High Speed Motorcycle Crash...........

libya 115

everybody to theiir own, I enjoy the roads and my bike, it's as safe as he rider makes it, you obviously failed the be safe in your younger days but at least you are still around to talk about it

be safe be happy and don't condem other peoples pleasures because you had a bad experience

PS just because a bike can do 300km/h top speed doesn't mean you are duty bound to do it, as for safety, I raced in motorsport for years and have gained a great respect for powerfull machines, in all my years of driving I have an unblemished record and I was also N01 3 years in a row, although I did have a low speed incident here on the bike which was totally unavoidable wehn a car pulled out on a narrow street leaving me nowhere to go........drunk german bitch

as for big bikes small bikes, have you checked how may are killed or seriously injured on small bikes around pattaya every week, like I said regardless of size it's as safe as the rider makes it.

thumchok...if you fancy spin out some day give me a shout

Edited by gharknes

I've rode various bikes in thailand and the level of upkeep/maintenance varies a great deal. Our mopeds we get from an English lad in Soi Dianna Inn are very well maintained, I cant imagine a R1 or Fireblade from beach road being serviced regularly though... :o

Another note, are superbikes very popular in the Middle East? I dont know of many bikers in the UK who are of Arab descent so wondered if these guys arrive, decide to get the best bike they can and end up splattered a few hours (or minutes) later?

I've rode various bikes in thailand and the level of upkeep/maintenance varies a great deal. Our mopeds we get from an English lad in Soi Dianna Inn are very well maintained, I cant imagine a R1 or Fireblade from beach road being serviced regularly though... :o

Another note, are superbikes very popular in the Middle East? I dont know of many bikers in the UK who are of Arab descent so wondered if these guys arrive, decide to get the best bike they can and end up splattered a few hours (or minutes) later?

When I was working in Iran all motor bikes were banned (as was hang-gliding). But that was a few years ago.

In Saudi they were banned until about ten years ago, when the police were issued with bikes. But I haven't seen any civilian bikes.

Libya - were banned all through the eighties, but I saw one or two around in year 2001.

Reason for banning - too dangerous. (If you drive in any of these countries you would appreciate the degree of danger)

UAE - I saw one or two around Abu Dhabi city, but as I was working 250km away, at Ruwais, I did not see any on the highways. There is an advert on One Dubai (TV) by Etisalat (the telephone network) that shows locals riding the sand dunes, but again, nothing on the roads.

When I was working in Iran all motor bikes were banned (as was hang-gliding). But that was a few years ago.

In Saudi they were banned until about ten years ago, when the police were issued with bikes. But I haven't seen any civilian bikes.

Libya - were banned all through the eighties, but I saw one or two around in year 2001.

Reason for banning - too dangerous. (If you drive in any of these countries you would appreciate the degree of danger)

UAE - I saw one or two around Abu Dhabi city, but as I was working 250km away, at Ruwais, I did not see any on the highways. There is an advert on One Dubai (TV) by Etisalat (the telephone network) that shows locals riding the sand dunes, but again, nothing on the roads.

When I lived in the UAE there were no bikes anywhere but maybe that has now changed now. Friend of mine lives in Sharjah and belongs to one of the on road motor bike clubs and rides a Harley. Must be true 'cos he sent me some pictures,

Leather jacket, patches and all... :D

Edited by Rimmer

Such as slamming into a camel thats walking on the road at night as its easier to walk on than in the sand? Saw hundreds of wrecked cars just left at the side of the road around Jeddah and Yanbu as a kid, scary stuff

How about replacing all 1000cc bikes with camels? :o problem solved

as for big bikes small bikes, have you checked how may are killed or seriously injured on small bikes around pattaya every week, like I said regardless of size it's as safe as the rider makes it.

Once again you are lacking in sound logic, which is normally expected form adults who feel the need to ride superbikes on public roads.

There's probably 50,000 small bikes on Pattaya Roads compared to a very small number of rental superbikes. If the numbers were equal, the deaths on the superbikes would outnumber the deaths on small bikes by a huge degree.

Try coming up with one good reason why superbikes should be allowed on public roads and please don't come along with another rant about how good a rider you are.

Will you ever understand that danger increases exponentially with speed? I thought this was commonsense, but for some reason you don't get it.

After years of riding motor bikes 50cc to 750cc in the Uk.

I won’t ride them in Thailand,

due to the very basic fact that Thai drivers are incompetent and dam right dangerous.

I use a car and they can bounce of it all day long.

Its not the size of the bike it’s the size of the brain that’s not used

Have a nice day.

After years of riding motor bikes 50cc to 750cc in the Uk.

I won't ride them in Thailand,

due to the very basic fact that Thai drivers are incompetent and dam right dangerous.

I use a car and they can bounce of it all day long. Its not the size of the bike it's the size of the brain that's not used

Have a nice day.

How large is your brain?

Edited by tropo

Such as slamming into a camel thats walking on the road at night as its easier to walk on than in the sand? Saw hundreds of wrecked cars just left at the side of the road around Jeddah and Yanbu as a kid, scary stuff

How about replacing all 1000cc bikes with camels? :o problem solved

There is a new highway from Jeddah to Yanbu - about eight years old. both sides are fenced with camel-proof netting, as are all major highways in Saudi. But the ###### things still stroll across the minor roads, and lay down to sleep on the warm asphalt at night.

Libya only has some roads partly fenced, so more crashes there. Hitting a walking camel is very dangerous, because the legs are long enough for the bonnet of the car to pass underneath, so the windscreen is the first solid object to hit the body of the camel. Donkeys are much less likely to injure you, because they are knocked away by the front of the vehicle.

Remember also that there is an urban myth in most Arab countries that having your lights on will flatten the battery. So many drivers delay switching their lights on until it is too dark to distinguish the road ahead. I often get flashed in the early evening, before true sunset, because I already have my lights on - so that others can see me.

But many Arab drivers know they are safe and will not get injured in a crash - firstly they leave their safety belts off so that they can jump out of the car quickly (several have told me this in all seriousness) and secondly they have their favorite son sitting on their lap while they drive. Who needs air-bags?

Once again you are lacking in sound logic, which is normally expected form adults who feel the need to ride superbikes on public roads.

There's probably 50,000 small bikes on Pattaya Roads compared to a very small number of rental superbikes. If the numbers were equal, the deaths on the superbikes would outnumber the deaths on small bikes by a huge degree.

Try coming up with one good reason why superbikes should be allowed on public roads and please don't come along with another rant about how good a rider you are.

Will you ever understand that danger increases exponentially with speed? I thought this was commonsense, but for some reason you don't get it.

try giving a reason why they shouldn't be, you're the one started this, you made a stupid brainless statement about thai roads, you had a bad experience what was it "crashed a bike on a straight part of a motorway nobody else involved, you're a danger to yourself and others, just as well you packed it in, - deal with it, nobody wants to hear your bike bashing crap anymore, you don't like big bikes - we got it, many people do - have you got that, now move on.

after reading your useless posts I have come to the conclusion you're an a$$, you are the one and only person on my ignore list on this forum

Edited by gharknes

> Who is really to blame for this man's death?

At least no one (yet) is slating the deceased for being from the Middle East.

However his judgement was allegidly impared through alcolohol, it was his choice to ride the bike, alcohol is not a mitigating factor in his defence. Neither the person selling him alcohol or renting the bike are remotely liable.

> Why oh why are the bike rental outfits in Thailand leasing high powered superbikes on the strenth of a passport.

> The mind boggles at what the Thai's can get away with.

Because this is legal? Drunk driving is not, neither is riding without a lid.

The same is true had the man in question had been driving his own SUV or a sub compact rental car from Hertz.

> Superbikes are not suitable for any roads in Thailand. They belong on a race track.

I would suggest that in-experianced drunken drivers are not suitable for any roads in Thailand or elsewhere for that matter - however I doubt this will be corrected in my lifetime.

Alcohol and vehicles don't mix, I thought that was common sense.

> Will you ever understand that danger increases exponentially with speed?

> I thought this was commonsense, but for some reason you don't get it.

The issue with speed is not the speed itself but the time to react.

High speed in built up areas does not allow enough reaction time for the average motorist and the sensible

experianced rider with faster reactions would not be riding at speed in such a situation.

I will assume that this is another example of the holiday effect where one's normally cautious nature is left at the airport and everything a person has read about wild times in Thailand becomes a real fantasy world for them. They forget Newton's Laws of Motion.

One should never put any vehicle anywhere on the road unless you have been there first with your eyes and your brain, on Pattaya's roads the near random motion of Baht Buses alone means this is no place for speed. If alcohol is introduced as a factor it is a case of when not if.

Or is it a case of Blue bikes go faster than Red bikes?

Although maybe Thailand's holiday reputation was again dented by the mixture of Shinga + Yammaha + Bravado? I am simply glad that no one else was killed or injured.

As a long term rider I would like to add a few comments. First of all I have seen several idiots on big bikes making a nuisance of themselves in Pattaya. I am particularly annoyed when I see somebody with a Thai lady on the back throttle the bike up Soi 7 or Soi 8. Just who do they think they are trying to impress? I only worry for the Thai lady on the back or the pedestrians. They would be the innocent victims should an accident happen.

I believe in this case that there is only one person to blame and that is the rider himself. I've seen it countless times, the tough guys doing 80 or a 100 kms an hour screwing around 2nd road or beach road. Why? Why so much speed in such a highly populated and congested area? Was it booze, ego or what?

In the end it's not the size of the bike that kills, it's the person riding it either in a reckless manner, or at high speed, or perhaps the other drivers/riders around them.

R.I.P. to the deceased.

try giving a reason why they shouldn't be, you're the one started this, you made a stupid brainless statement about thai roads, you had a bad experience what was it "crashed a bike on a straight part of a motorway nobody else involved, you're a danger to yourself and others, just as well you packed it in, - deal with it, nobody wants to hear your bike bashing crap anymore, you don't like big bikes - we got it, many people do - have you got that, now move on.

after reading your useless posts I have come to the conclusion you're an a$$, you are the one and only person on my ignore list on this forum

Perhaps you should brush up on your debating skills.

After you supposedly put me on your ignore list you PM'd me with an abusive message. Perhaps an anger management course would be useful. :o

How about replacing all 1000cc bikes with camels? :D problem solved

There is a new highway from Jeddah to Yanbu - about eight years old. both sides are fenced with camel-proof netting, as are all major highways in Saudi. But the ###### things still stroll across the minor roads, and lay down to sleep on the warm asphalt at night.

Libya only has some roads partly fenced, so more crashes there. Hitting a walking camel is very dangerous, because the legs are long enough for the bonnet of the car to pass underneath, so the windscreen is the first solid object to hit the body of the camel. Donkeys are much less likely to injure you, because they are knocked away by the front of the vehicle.

Remember also that there is an urban myth in most Arab countries that having your lights on will flatten the battery. So many drivers delay switching their lights on until it is too dark to distinguish the road ahead. I often get flashed in the early evening, before true sunset, because I already have my lights on - so that others can see me.

But many Arab drivers know they are safe and will not get injured in a crash - firstly they leave their safety belts off so that they can jump out of the car quickly (several have told me this in all seriousness) and secondly they have their favorite son sitting on their lap while they drive. Who needs air-bags?

That myth persists here as well. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

> Who is really to blame for this man's death?

At least no one (yet) is slating the deceased for being from the Middle East.

Why on earth would they? We're talking about a drunk rider who crashed, not the colour of someones skin? Or are we all mean to play the sympathy card because he's from the Middle East? :o

• 4 weeks later...

Don't Muslims believe that their death will occur when Allah wills it? Therefore what seems like basic safety measures to most westerners may seem irrelevant to them...