Where To Find Teaching Jobs In Latin America (mexico)?

PeaceBlondie

Thanks to the Immigration Police deciding overnight to pull the rug on various expatriates who blindingly assume they're able to stay in Thailand forever, my weekend theme song is by Eric Burdon: "I've got to get out of this place, if it's the last thing I ever do."

There used to be jobs in Mexico on Dave's ESL cafe. Cannot find them anymore. Does anybody else know where one looks? I'm not leaving this year, but I must be ready to leave next year.

Thanks to the Immigration Police deciding overnight to pull the rug on various expatriates who blindingly assume they're able to stay in Thailand forever, my weekend theme song is by Eric Burdon: "I've got to get out of this place, if it's the last thing I ever do."

There used to be jobs in Mexico on Dave's ESL cafe. Cannot find them anymore. Does anybody else know where one looks? I'm not leaving this year, but I must be ready to leave next year.

PB....what happened?

To all my fans I say, "Thank you; thank you. Elvis has not left the building yet." :o

I never taught legally here, and probably never can or will. I discovered, however, that I enjoy teaching EFL/ESL, and I'm apparently pretty good at it. As for Mexico or Central America, I lived there and could teach there, and even sa-peak the language. I can work there legally! I can have a longer term visa than 30 days or even 365 days. And c'mon guys, you put up with some very serious doggy poo here. Whitey already left, and I may do the same. Thailand does not want us here. If you marry a Thai and make a Thai baby, you can stay because you're becoming Thai. I cannot eat somtam, and smoked Chiang Mai sausage doesn't count. :D

PB, im sorry to hear that things are going awry. If you are seriously considering leaving maybe consider Argentina. They also like to have native speaking English teachers.

The country is more stable now and the people are warm. I am not sure where you can look for work..but im sure there are possibilities available.

Highly recommend, although maybe baised as have family there.

why dont you try ecuador? I was there for 2 months visiting my grandma, its a cool place. Avoid columbia, very dangerous lol

and dont even think about venezuela lol chavez lol mexico is dirty too much pollution, worst then thailand. But hey if your gonna do the south american thing, might as well hit up all the countries lol gl

Thailand does not want us here.

why?

Edited by DragonQuest

Thailand does not want us here.

why?

When you say "us" you group all foreigners with all types of visa into one category.

I wonder what the ratio is of foreign tourist (just visiting)...... to foreigners who want to live here (those who don't want to leave).

If they didn't want everyone they could adopt an immigration policy which kept all foreigners out of the country. That would be like shooting themselves in the foot since a good chunk of their economy is based on tourism.

Since they haven't closed their doors completely and haven't cancelled all non-immigrit visas, then it would safe to say that they have adopted policies that limit and discourage immigrating to Thailand.

So now the question is what reason does Thailand want to limit or discourage immigrating to Thailand? Perhaps there is a history of negative events across Thailand involving foreigners living here with non-immigrit visas.

I really don't know. Like some people, I too am speculating on Thailand's reasons for tightening the requirements on those wanting to immigrate in some fashion to Thailand.

It would seem that the days of moving to Thailand for no real reason are over. If you want to live here, you need a solid reason, with solid credentials (the right visa) to do so. It seems people living here haphazardly do have a reason to fret as their way of life is in danger of ending.

It is not a situation I would want to find myself in and I do feel sorry for those people who are in it. Especially those who have started a family here.

We could discuss this over on the Visas forum, but here on the Teaching forum, we could ask,

How badly does the official government (Education, Labour and the Immigration Police) really want farang teachers here? Badly enough to streamline the process?

I've spent my entire stay in Thailand being angry at the govt. school administrators who couldn't be arsed to get me a WP and help me with my visas. The problems, of course, don't begin at the school level, but in the big govt. offices. Teachers stay here (and most of them become legal, within months or years), because they assimilate into the fringes of Thai culture, often marry Thais, have babies, etc. But I suggest that you read the stamp in your passport. You are not even an immigrant, and your permission to remain in the kingdom is less than 367 days from now. Your stay here depends very much on vague Thai law, Thai interpretations of that whimsical law, and the attitude of your local immigration police officer, who represents a police state.

I'll keep looking at all those suggestions about places to migrate to. I checked out Venezuela just before Thailand!

I'm from Mexico city and I'll recommend you to look for a job in the international schools (i.e. The American School Foundation, Greengates School), or in other private schools, better salary and options to find cheap accommodation too, you are gonna definitely need that because Mexico is becoming more and more expensive everyday, compared with Thailand you will be shocked how expensive life can be there, another option is to look around the Pacific coast area, it could be a nice experience to teach on an international school on a cool beach place like Puerto Vallarta or Manzanillo, anyway just google the names.

I hope you have a great time there if you decide to go, and actually If you need some Spanish lessons send me a private message he he :D

Muchos saludos, (greetings :o

When I moved to Thailand the main reason was the GDP/capita. In Thailand, at the time, it was around 6000-7000 dollars. In 3 years it has moved up to 9000 dollars. I can't remember if PB mentioned in the past if he has a pension but a very low GDP/capita would mean a pension from the USA would go a long way. That might be something you might want to look into if you do have a pension.

Richard, I now have 3 or 4 pensions, all with COLAs to protect me from inflation (but not from currency risk). The problem is not that I have to live on the inadequate salaries paid to TEFLers here and in other countries.

Jenny, gracias for the comments about Mexico. DF is out of the question, as is Guadalajara, but I'm thinking of Puerto Vallarta (since I'm gay), and Puerto Veracruz, and Tuxpan Ver. I'll check out Manzanillo, also.

Richard, I now have 3 or 4 pensions, all with COLAs to protect me from inflation (but not from currency risk). The problem is not that I have to live on the inadequate salaries paid to TEFLers here and in other countries.

Jenny, gracias for the comments about Mexico. DF is out of the question, as is Guadalajara, but I'm thinking of Puerto Vallarta (since I'm gay), and Puerto Veracruz, and Tuxpan Ver. I'll check out Manzanillo, also.

It sounds like all you were ever really asking for was a secure job. Not a lot to ask for I'd say. Good luck to you man.

PB why is Guadalajara out? it has the reputation of being one of the gay-er cities in mexico.

also ive been to chile and can say i dont see what the attraction would be.

however argentina is another story completely. i think if i didnt live in thailand, my next choice would be buenos aires.

Okay, so I'll check out Guad-a-la-harem, but I understand it's got like five million people, a bit too much for me, perhaps.

Thanks, everybody. It sounds as if everybody's eager to get me the He11 out of Dodge. I can borrow a few Arnold Schwarzeneggar lines, "Hasta la vista, Thailand," and to Mexico, "I said I'll be back!"

FatBastard, I tried that teachermexconnect, but the signup fee is $42. Worth it, though, I suppose, by the looks of the jobs that have from Tampico to Veracruz, and elsewhere.

It's a real shame, but anywhere (sunny) is better than banging your head against a wall, good luck.

Seems these Thais will never learn... Ask for more teachers with one hand and kick out the teachers with the other.

I expect soon Thailand will be in the same boat financially as N koria.

That's why i'm working on getting my wife and kid back to America, This place is gonna melt down soon.

Greg

Guadalajara is actually a lot of fun. Not over polluted like MC. Beautiful mountains outside. Perfect weather, not humid.

I was stationed there for 2 years in the early 90s. A lot of the people I worked with asked to be sent there for your own reasons.

You can live in an area called Zapopan. Many shopping centers, a lot of gay areas. Then you are only 2 hours away from a beautiful drive to Manzanillo. One of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been. Not overly crowded. The negative is that as you drive around the place, cars will block you to sell you time shares.

And nobody gives a ###### who you are or what you do or what you look like. Unlike other places.