BANGKOK 21 July 2019 15:27

I'm a Producer/Director moving from Los Angeles to Bangkok in September and I'd be interested to hear anything about the film biz in Thailand.

I've done some preliminary research through the BOI and I know about the proposed 'movie town' in Tambon Bangkrachao, but I'm interested in any first hand experiences expats have had working with Thai filmmakers or production companies.

Should I expect to be welcomed with open arms or shunned as a farang sniping Thai jobs?

:o

There are no foreigners working in the Thai movie industry. Never have been, never will be. No Thai would ever run the risk of a Caucasian getting credit for having accomplished something worthwhile. It would only prove that Thais couldn't do it themselves. Stay in LA. You have no chance whatsoever here.

There are no foreigners working in the Thai movie industry. Never have been, never will be. No Thai would ever run the risk of a Caucasian getting credit for having accomplished something worthwhile. It would only prove that Thais couldn't do it themselves. Stay in LA. You have no chance whatsoever here.

Maybe not in Thai Movies, But there certainly are foreigners working in Thailand on Foreign productions. I know this first hand as I am one of them.

/SM

My understanding was that the poster was asking about his chances of 'breaking into the Thai movie industry.' Apologies if I was reading him wrong. While I know that foreigners do work on foreign productions here, and he might somehow find work on one of them, I don't know of any scuh productions that have actually originated here -- i.e. within what one would normally call 'the Thai movie industry.' They are all, as far as I know, imported shoots. Thais don't make English-language films for the foreign market, only Thai language films for the local market.

My understanding was that the poster was asking about his chances of 'breaking into the Thai movie industry.' Apologies if I was reading him wrong. While I know that foreigners do work on foreign productions here, and he might somehow find work on one of them, I don't know of any scuh productions that have actually originated here -- i.e. within what one would normally call 'the Thai movie industry.' They are all, as far as I know, imported shoots. Thais don't make English-language films for the foreign market, only Thai language films for the local market.

Yep, That is what he wrote. I am assuming though, that he desires to work his craft in Thailand and most likely doesn't care if it's a Thai or Foreign production.

/SM

I'll 2nd that. Quality is not an issue in Thailand, it's fairly irrelevant. Nationality is, laws even differ according to nationality of individual.

So better stay home, just visit Thailand in your holiday. If you are famous you may buy the Elite card, only one million baht and every year Thailand will take some benefits away from you. You'll belong to a select elite group of individuals.

Stay in LA. You have no chance whatsoever here.

Thanks for the pep talk. :o

Jaded pessimism aside I think I'll follow through on my plans.

I'm not picky as to whether I work on Thai productions or foreign ones. (BTW - I know for a fact that there ARE farangs working in the Thai film industry, that's why I asked for the opinions of people with such experience.)

I appreciate your POV - and I'm empathetic. I've seen a certain protectionist, xenophobic nature at work in many industries around Thailand, hence my query. But the assertion that the situation is hopeless and I should give up without trying is just empty cynicism.

I've got a friend working on contract for a few international news networks.He is based in BKK because of it's central location.Does news,documentaries a bit of freelance film. Not thai movies or tv though.

But the assertion that the situation is hopeless and I should give up without trying is just empty cynicism.

You asked a question and several of us who have had an involvement the local film industry took the time and made the effort to tell you what we had learned about it.

And now our joint experience is 'empty cynicism?'

For someone who by his own account knows little or nothing about how things work here, you seem awfully ready to dismiss -- and rather high-handedly, too -- others who have far more experience than you. Come to think of it, you may feel right at home here in Thailand.

And now our joint experience is 'empty cynicism?'

Actually, O.A.H. I wasn't referring to anyone but you when I noted empty cynicism. (That's why I quoted your post.)

I've already been in touch with several contacts generated by my post, and I've yet to meet one who shares your opinion; "Stay in LA. You have no chance whatsoever here."

In that same brief post you also took the time to note that "There are no foreigners working in the Thai movie industry. Never have been, never will be." - something which I know to be untrue, as do some of the others posting on this very page, and they were kind enough to email me to confirm it.

So please don't think that I'm 'high-handedly' dismissing the opinions of all the people who were kind enough to respond to my post. The only opinion I'm dismissing is yours. :D

cowboyshoe, I would give it a shot. Despite what some of the other individuals have said, foreigners can break into the thai movie business. I'm an American and I've been in a couple movies with another one starting soon.

Also, I know a farang director who just completed a thai movie. He was the first non-thai director to direct a thai movie. In most countries, its difficult to get your movie distributed, but in Thailand, its a different story. His movie is in post production, and should be released soon. I also know a farang camerman who has worked on numerous movies in Thailand.

In summary, dont believe what you have read here. Feel free to contact me if you want more details. I can also give you email addresses for some non-thais who are in the movie biz here.

Rgds,

John

I'm a Producer/Director moving from Los Angeles to Bangkok in September and I'd be interested to hear anything about the film biz in Thailand.

I've done some preliminary research through the BOI and I know about the proposed 'movie town' in Tambon Bangkrachao, but I'm interested in any first hand experiences expats have had working with Thai filmmakers or production companies.

Should I expect to be welcomed with open arms or shunned as a farang sniping Thai jobs?

Cowboy. I wish you luck. Do a thorough check. Western movies HAVE BEEN produced in Thailand ( albeit despite a Union that kinda licenses things like on set food etc. Movieworld on Australia's Gold Coast did a couple.