Bangkok Film Biz?

• 2 months later...

Howdy Y'all!

Happy to say I'm still here, working (if not posting) and pleased with what I've found.

It is an uphill battle finding film work here that isn't already dominated by a number of skilled Thais, but it is possible. The best bet seems to be finding similarly minded independent artists and producers and working your way up through the low budget saltmine.

The bummer is that most productions here (no matter the budget) don't seem to strive for anything much past the mediocre. It's as if getting the film done is all the accomplishment that is desired. If you're hoping to make high art - you're barking up the wrong tree here.

This thread is intriguing in that it reflects my actual experience in the Thai film/commercial world. A few people have told me in no uncertain terms that the situation is completely hopeless: "the entire industry is controlled by the mafia," "don't even bother because there are only two Thai directors doing all the commercial work." At the same time I get completely the opposite reaction from others: "there's no competition at all here" "would you like to shoot some spots for my toy company?" "is there any way you could get some of your friends from LA to come out here too?"

I'm wondering how others have handled the visa and tax issues. It's one thing to work as an extra for cash, but I'm talking about working as a freelance commercial cameraman with rentals and so forth.

I'm wondering how others have handled the visa and tax issues. It's one thing to work as an extra for cash, but I'm talking about working as a freelance commercial cameraman with rentals and so forth.

My knowledge on this is a decade and more old, before i was on a work permit.

Before the '97 crises, during the boom of farang actors here, when they took almost anyone without any talent, like me :o , I was working for 2 or 3 years here modeling and acting, mainly in commercials, many times even lead roles (good money as well, between 15 000 and 20 000 dayrate, one lead in a foreign commercial a lot more even, that was before the devaluation!) . Every time i came during my visa runs through the immigration, officers stamping my tourist visa laughed, recognising me from TV and cinema. Never a problem.

I knew many foreign actors, cameramen and directors in the same situation of being just on tourist visas. Nobody i knew ever had a problem because of having no workpermit. As long as you don't piss anyone off and make friends you are generally left alone by the authorities in this business.

I only know very few people still in this business, but from what they told me not much has changed in this aspect.

• 2 months later...

There is plenty of farang activity in the Thai film business. What there is a shortage of is capital to finance projects and that is the main challenge of producers.

There is a subculture of farang actors here too. ..........put it this way, they make English teachers look like billionaires. I don't know how they survive.

Go to the Bangkok Film Market in January/February and you will make good contacts. I have been for the last 3 years.

There are no foreigners working in the Thai movie industry. Never have been, never will be. No Thai would ever run the risk of a Caucasian getting credit for having accomplished something worthwhile. It would only prove that Thais couldn't do it themselves. Stay in LA. You have no chance whatsoever here.

I hate to disagree and point at the film in this link Seems he even won awards for a Thai language film in Europe.

My recommendation is to talk to Sunbelt and consider forming an Amity company and then go from there. If making English language films or in other languages than Thai you certainly are not competing with the present industry in any way. Good luck to you.

And I just love to have people tell me impossible, can't be done. Gives me more incentive.

Ya I know this is an old topic and you're already here, but of course it's possible to work in the business. Most farangs are probably actors/extras here. I was part of the subculture you talk about for a short time, and most people are not making their living as actors, just do it sometimes for fun, and get money other ways, so they don't necessarily make teachers look like billionaires. Had a couple friends who make 60-80k baht a month as actors/extras in Thailand, so I'd say that's better than most teaching.

I'm not sure if I met that Erik Schuetz guy or not, but I'd say he may not be the most successful farang actor, but probably up there with a couple other guys I know. There's a big guy named Conan who says he is starring in the first English language movie being made in Thailand by expats living in Thailand, or something like that. Check out his site.

Wow!!! After all that hostile stuff you must be soooo eager to get here!!!!

I can tell you from experience, that I just finished a film with a farang and Thai director. So yeah there are Farangs in the industry. I've been in it since I was 15 and I've seen some. Tell you the truth they are far and few between but they are there so it is possible.

I wish you luck with whatever you try to do, cuz it's possible.

I'll be joining you one of these years.

Cat

• 2 weeks later...
There are no foreigners working in the Thai movie industry. Never have been, never will be.

Actually there are, not too many, but there are a few. Not in lead roles as far as i know, but surely in some supporting roles. If people said "mount everest is too high" or "the moon is too far", we'd still be living in caves. There's always a first and i'm sure if you have decent looks and speak a decent amount of thai, you would have a chance.

Is it possible that Erik Schuetz is the most successful farang involved in the Thai film industry?

No. He is not the most successful farang working in the Thai film industry. He seems to make living from it, though.

"farang working in the Thai film industry" needs a bit of definition before anybody can start providing meaninful answers.

Any contacts to a casting agency in Bangkok that handles foreign talent?

There is no talent agency in Thailand worthy of the name. Not a single one. There are perhaps one or two casting directors here who are worthy of the title (of whom I am aware) but those are casting directors who work for productions. They are not agents.

There is no shortage of talent agencies. None of them earn their cut. Every single one I have ever worked with or heard about leaves something to desired. Many of them leave everything to be desired.

I have had mixed results with a few of the agents here. Most of the agents I would not piss on if they were on fire.

The best development so far is: www.castinginthailand.com

A Google search will turn up plenty of talent/modelling agents. Go in with your eyes open.

Top 12 Rules for (limited) happiness (that I could be bothered to put together):

12. Avoid like the plague farang touting themselves as "agents."

11. Stop bitching about the money. Nobody put a gun to your head.

10. Don't sign anything you can't read and understand.

9. Stop bitching about the money. Nobody put a gun to your head.

8. Pay your dues. Don't be just another ignorant farang extra who thinks the film depends on him/her.

7. Stop bitching about the money. Nobody put a gun to your head.

6. Earn your keep/respect. Don't be just another ignorant farang extra who thinks the film depends on him/her.

5. Stop bitching about the money. Nobody put a gun to your head.

4. If you think you're paid crap money, spare a thought for the Thai crew. Most of them are on set before you, leave the set after you, get worse food than you, work a hel_l of a lot harder than you, and get paid less than you.

3. Don't expect to get paid loads of money to hang out in air-conditioned RV's, shooting the shit and sipping champagne with Hollywood stars. Making movies is hard work and long hours at the best of times. Making movies in Thailand is not the best of times. A-listers demand and get their on-set comforts because they EARNED them and they NEED them.

2. Don't regale me with your career farang extra war stories about tough shoots, jerkoff agents. I'm tired and I'm bored of you. Go away, please.

And the top rule for on-set behaviour.......

DO NOT ASK ME HOW MUCH I AM GETTING.

Cheers!

Any contacts to a casting agency in Bangkok that handles foreign talent?

There is no talent agency in Thailand worthy of the name. Not a single one. There are perhaps one or two casting directors here who are worthy of the title (of whom I am aware) but those are casting directors who work for productions. They are not agents.

There is no shortage of talent agencies. None of them earn their cut. Every single one I have ever worked with or heard about leaves something to desired. Many of them leave everything to be desired.

I have had mixed results with a few of the agents here. Most of the agents I would not piss on if they were on fire.

The best development so far is: www.castinginthailand.com

A Google search will turn up plenty of talent/modelling agents. Go in with your eyes open.

Top 12 Rules for (limited) happiness (that I could be bothered to put together):

12. Avoid like the plague farang touting themselves as "agents."

11. Stop bitching about the money. Nobody put a gun to your head.

10. Don't sign anything you can't read and understand.

9. Stop bitching about the money. Nobody put a gun to your head.

8. Pay your dues. Don't be just another ignorant farang extra who thinks the film depends on him/her.

7. Stop bitching about the money. Nobody put a gun to your head.

6. Earn your keep/respect. Don't be just another ignorant farang extra who thinks the film depends on him/her.

5. Stop bitching about the money. Nobody put a gun to your head.

4. If you think you're paid crap money, spare a thought for the Thai crew. Most of them are on set before you, leave the set after you, get worse food than you, work a hel_l of a lot harder than you, and get paid less than you.

3. Don't expect to get paid loads of money to hang out in air-conditioned RV's, shooting the shit and sipping champagne with Hollywood stars. Making movies is hard work and long hours at the best of times. Making movies in Thailand is not the best of times. A-listers demand and get their on-set comforts because they EARNED them and they NEED them.

2. Don't regale me with your career farang extra war stories about tough shoots, jerkoff agents. I'm tired and I'm bored of you. Go away, please.

And the top rule for on-set behaviour.......

DO NOT ASK ME HOW MUCH I AM GETTING.

Cheers!

Have you actually worked for this www.castinginthailand.com outfit?

• 12 years later...
On 8/10/2004 at 8:51 AM, The Gentleman Scamp said:

What sort of welcome you'd get as a prod/dir I can't say.

My only experience over here was as an extra in a Thai GI movie... So much for my performing arts diploma. :o

how can i find a job as a background actor /;extra at a thai film production ??? do you have adress i can contact.. ?