Chiang Mai Faces Potential Tourism Crisis

george

Thailand's historic Chiang Mai faces potential tourism crisis

CHIANG MAI: -- A dramatic mountain-top backdrop and more than 300 temples may not be enough to stop Thailand's northern capital Chiang Mai turning from tourist Mecca to urban sprawl.

With its partially walled and moat-ringed ancient city, Chiang Mai is one of the kingdom's biggest tourist draws, acting as a gateway to the fabled Golden Triangle where the hill-tribe cultures of Thailand, Laos and Myanmar converge.

The government wants to turn the area into the spa centre of the world, but pollution and the growing menace of the high-rise building has contributed to a downturn in visitor numbers, according to travel experts.

"Already the pollution is terrible, there are a lot of urban problems and we are going in the direction of Bangkok," says Tanet Charoenmuang, the president of the Chiang Mai's Urban Development Institute Foundation.

"Anyone who comes looking for signs of a 700-year-old city is going to be very disappointed."

The fierce contest for tourists to the Asia-Pacific region is only the start of Chiang Mai's problems.

In March, the National Geographic Society dubbed the city "getting ugly" in its travellers' destination scorecard, based on the urban development that has seen many temples and historic houses dwarfed by unsightly billboards and new concrete buildings tower above height restrictions set more than a decade ago.

Apparently the visitors agree. Last year, the 1.3 million foreign tourists generated 891 million dollars in revenue for Chiang Mai.

But those arrivals were down 5.45 percent from 2002, and those given the task of preserving the city's historic atmosphere say the slump is being driven purely by unchecked development that is turning Chiang Mai into a mirror of its southern counterpart, Bangkok.

According to Chiang Mai Chamber of Commerce president Boonlert Pereira, concerns over rampant development have spread to the top.

"National Geographic said people here think that tourism resources can last forever without management or conservation and have exploited the temples ... this got everyone talking," said Boonlert.

"The prime minister has now allocated 300 million baht (7.3 million dollars) to fix the problems," he said.

But Boonlert said there was a concern that not all government money would be slated for restoring the city's historic appeal.

The government has already started building a night safari on the edge of the city, has procured two pandas from China as the star attraction of the local zoo and has asked Australia to pitch in a few koalas in a bid to draw in even greater numbers.

"With the same amount of money we could have improved many cultural and nature sites in Chiang Mai," said Boonlert, who insists local tourist operators were not consulted on the projects.

Others say no amount of money on animals will reverse the rot.

"It's too little too late, like a bandage on a gaping wound and there is no going back for Chiang Mai," said a prominent travel writer who did not want to be named, adding that the description of "visually striking" used in one of the most popular guides to the city had not been updated in 15 years.

"In the 1990s all those wooden houses were being torn down to be replaced by fast-buck concrete architecture. Many of those buildings were accommodation for tourists who had come to see the old houses."

"As the attractions have slipped there has been no real upgrade of infrastructure. There are still no buses or cabs in Thailand's second largest city," he said.

Thailand has been seeking to promote alternatives to destinations in the Muslim majority south where more than 250 people have died in separatist violence since the start of the year.

Tour operators told AFP that there was no sign so far that holidaymakers were being lured north and doubted if the government's bold tourism predictions could be met.

The kingdom's cabinet last month approved a scheme to shoot for a doubling of foreign visitors over the next four years from the nearly 10 million arrivals recorded in 2003.

That announcement was greeted with caution from the World Tourism Organisation which said Thailand could only manage the growth with a massive improvements in basic infrastructure.

- AFP 2004-07-28

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chaing Mai has a great zoo already... yet no one comes to CM specifically to see it.

They come for the night bazaar, the arts and crafts (silk, wood carving, umbrellas, fans, bla bla bla), the Long Neck Karen's and othe tribes, the scenery, the elephants, the snake farm, the views, the jungle hikes and what's been sold to them in the glossy brochure.

Most westerners (that haven't seen how good CM zoo is) think Asian zoos are horrible places with animals in tiny concrete, ill equipt, cages (like Nong Nook Park and Dusit zoo).

They come to sit in River View Rest. eat, drink and watch the river flow by (minus floating garbage) - and ignoring the mozzies.

They come to visit the Temples (less but better maintained than Ayuttaya), see the old ways of life and the old buildings. The moat and the city gates.

They come to get away from the hustle, bustle and westernisation of BKK, Pattaya, Phuket etc

Come TRT, believe in your name and respect Thailand. Invest in keeping and maintaining the beauty and history of CM (the real attraction) and Ayuttaya rather than just trying to make it another theme park for foreigners. Remember Amazing Thailand - a great success - tourist want to see the Thailand (Siam) of their predilections. Ask the tour guide what sells. Ask the TAT what enquireys they get. Look at Kuoni and see what is selling the holidays - it sure as h3ll isn't Chinese and Australian wildlike in a box! :o

Yes, kill the environment and the charm of the city is gone. I came here, like most others I believe, to see a Thai city with an old-fashioned character, a low skyline and sparse traffic. Not a Singaporefied Hill Tribe Disneyland with umpteen golf courses.

Locate those behemoth zoo projects to the larger cities in the Northeast instead, where there is a real need to improve tourism. Concentrate on keeping Chiang Mai a tourist hub for nature, culture and handicrafts, and if need be, adventure trips.

The whole point of a large (well, larg-ish) city which maintains a unique and original character is soon lost by keeping this pace in the wrong direction, and the respiratory disease rate has already climbed up to the top position in the Kingdom.

I see disappointment and failed investments loom large ten years ahead, unless the developers get their act together. The number of tourists is bound to reach a saturation point everywhere - look at the Mediterranean resort towns for confirmation.

Chiang Mai is still a great city, but it might not be for long.

Once again they are trying (and suceeding) to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Singapore made the same mistake in the 70's but at the last minute realised the error and at least some of the old ethnic areas are left. They did do a good job in cleaning up the Singapore river, some people may remember what it was like in the late 60's. Come on Thailand, preserve your heritage.

Once again I will enter a forum by relating my common experience from back in my home state of Vermont in the US.

Vermont, like Chiang Mai, is situated among green rolling hills and mountains. It is lush and abundant in rivers, lakes and stream. Wildlife is plentiful and diverse and tourism and agriculture are its biggest industries.

When my family moved there from suburban New York to escape the sprawl of the post WW2 boom of the ‘50’s and ‘60’s we thought we had died and gone to heaven. But very soon after the ravages of tourism and development, the same ones that plague Chiang Mai half way around the world today, were going unchecked. But unlike Chiang Mai the people and the government not only put new stringent laws and regulations into effect, they enforced them. Many said that it would halt prosperity and ruin their business but government and the scientist’s that advised them persisted. Vermont is now a jewel of a state that benefits immensely from its reputation of being one of the few places so easily accessible, yet almost pristine.

Zoning regulations and ecological statutes are what saved Vermont from the fate that Chiang Mai now suffers.

I remember the day that people all over the state went out with chain saws and torches and literally overnight cut down and removed every single sign in the state that was over a certain size. And that was 99% of them. The state then issued standard regulation signs with consistent icons and colors, relative to the business being promoted, to those who wanted them. These signs were designed, produce, installed and are maintained by the state and paid for through tax revenues and signage fees. These signs are only allowed placement no further than 2 miles (and in some cases 1 mile) from the business being promoted. They are strictly informational/directional in nature. They do not promote. All businesses, big or small, have an equal visibility to the prospective customer.

Businesses were then allowed to have a certain number of signs on their property and premises that also met strict criteria which is governed by the municipality where the business is situated. Lighting and all the other elements are strictly outlined and the rules enforced.

They raised the fine for littering form 50 dollars to 500 dollars, and enforced it, with all revenues going to maintain the states roads, fragile ecosystems and environment. Buildings, parking lots and sewerage disposal are all a part of the zoning rules and regulations to name just a few. If a town has too many of a particular type of business locals can go to a town meeting and declare by vote a moratorium on similar businesses being opened if the so choose. Then recommendations are made concerning businesses that are missing and needed within the community. True Democracy, for the good of the majority (common wealth), at work. And, the list goes on.

Consulting the professionals, the populace and the business community achieved all of this. All of it was voted on and not imposed from a federal government far removed from Vermont. All of it is strictly enforced and constantly revised and updated to keep up with the growing knowledge and applications that lend themselves to improving the state.

As a result of this Vermont is a destination for people from all over the world, as is Chiang Mai. The big difference being this: The people who travel to and tour Vermont get what they expected and paid for ten fold and they come back. Plus, Vermont is still there for those who will follow them in the future, and most importantly, Vermont is still a great place for those who choose to make it there home.

It is all about planning, implementation and application, adjustment when warranted and most of all, not being selfish and having proper, balanced and fair ENFORCEMENT.

ps- Too bad writing this stuff is always the equivalent of preaching to the choir.

Any Kiwis care to speak up? New Zealand is truly one of the best examples of how to maintain and sustain.

National Geographic are close to being the most respected commentators in the world.

Their comments should be listened to and some urgent action taken (before it is too late)

But don't hold your breath :o

I think, as far as Chiangmai is concerned, it's too late already :D I have seen it degenerate in twenty years from a beautiful city with it's old wooden buildings, to the concrete mess it is today.....Shame, shame.

....Zoning regulations and ecological statutes are what saved Vermont from the fate that Chiang Mai now suffers...

I remember the day that people all over the state went out with chain saws and torches and literally overnight cut down and removed every single sign in the state that was over a certain size....

They raised the fine for littering form 50 dollars to 500 dollars, and enforced it, ....

Buildings, parking lots and sewerage disposal are all a part of the zoning rules ....

Consulting the professionals, the populace and the business community achieved all of this. All of it was voted on and not imposed from a federal government far removed from Vermont....

It is all about planning, implementation and application, adjustment when warranted and most of all, not being selfish and having proper, balanced and fair ENFORCEMENT.

ps- Too bad writing this stuff is always the equivalent of preaching to the choir.

Excellent ideas from Vermont - I wish the governor of Phuket would take up some of them: zoning, signs, litter fines. Living in Phuket is like living on a building site: big trucks choke the main roads and drop dirt all over them; new houses (and shop houses) going up all over the place; and mountains being eaten away for their dirt. You can move into a nice location one week, and then the next week the trucks come, dump dirt all over the land to raise it above the flood level and then the building starts. Sadly, the concept of "business" and "residential" zones will never work here - all businesses seem to want to be where people live.

The litter in Phuket is appalling - there needs to be a "Keep Thailand Clean" campaign and children need to be educated about it.

And the signs along the roads compete with each other for size and attention: if you're looking for a street name or road sign, hard luck. There's even an area just south of Phuket City that is full of businesses making signs! This stretch of road has many gaudy signs each competing with the next, merely advertising businesses that make signs! Madness! But you can't blame the businesses - blame the lack of rules.

And now, a former mayor of Phuket wants to build "Chao Fa City" - a 1500 rai developement to the south west of Phuket City. When will it all end? Another 1997 crash?

Thais like to make money off their natural resources but fail to understand they must protect these in order to keep making this money, duh.

There is a book written by an Asian from Singapore called, "Can Asians Think?"

Need I say more? I didnt have to read the book either. Just look around and see the mess they (not all but 95% yes) are turning this place into.

Many diseases will explode in growth in the next 10-20 years watch out!

AIDES will look like childs play.

Thais like to make money off their natural resources but fail to understand they must protect these in order to keep making this money, duh.

There is a book written by an Asian from Singapore called, "Can Asians Think?"

Need I say more? I didnt have to read the book either. Just look around and see the mess they are turing this place into.

Could you provide more information about this particular book? Author, where to buy it?

The Vermont guy wrote a sensible submission, however, it's too logical and would demand certain effort, it would conclusively be totally unsuitable for Thailand.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Can+Asian...n=20&fl=0&x=wrt

Will provide more info about Asians and their ability to think.

Once again I will enter a forum by relating my common experience from back in my home state of Vermont in the US.

Would you suggest that Thai Rak Thai enlist the services of Dr. Howard Dean for next year's election? :o Sometimes I try to explain to Thai friends how Vermont does not allow billboards and they can't hardly believe that such a thing could be true...

Arguably, one of the few good things to arise from the Crash of '97 was that it slowed down the pace of unchecked, unplanned development in Thailand for a while. This situation now seems to be reversed and Chiang Mai has once again returned to an active construction zone with god-knows-what seemingly being hastily thrown up just about everywhere.

The Vermont guy wrote a sensible submission, however, it's too logical and would demand certain effort, it would conclusively be totally unsuitable for Thailand.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Can+Asian...n=20&fl=0&x=wrt

which is why i say i know that i am preaching to the choir

As for ovenman's statement about Howard Dean.

Howard Dean, despite having lost the nomination, has created a true grassroots movement and an awarness about the democratic process (not party) that is unprecedented in politics, be they American or otherwise.

What Howard Dean has done is reminded people that they can and should determine their own country's destiny. They must all be involved and contribute, or watch it all being taken away from them.

He has proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that small individual efforts ($$$), coupled with good organization and focus, can and do override the efforts of the big mega companies and concerns (lobbyists) who seek to usurp the power and the rights of the regular citzen and small business and control their lives and the future of their children.

Every country needs a few Howard Deans.

Sorry no more info on the book "Can Asians Think".

I can assure you the book is for real and in my experience, is quite true almost all the time.

The Crash of '97 was great for Asia. Best thing ever! I just hope we have another one here quickly or it looks like this place will be done for before I get the ###### out of here.

Too much money in the wrong hands is dangerous! More sprays, herbicides, pesticides, cars, toxic products....etc.

You name it they will buy it and spread it all over the place.

Take all, don’t leave even one!

Selling land, first cut down all the trees on the land and then put a for sale sign on the property! Think?

That’s the "non-thinking" here sorry to say.

Salon.com Books | "Can Asians think?"

To print this page, select "Print" from the File menu of your browser. Kishore Mahbubani. " Can Asians think?" Singapore's ambassador to the U.N. ... through the book will convince you that the author takes the question "Can Asians think?" very seriously ... to the United Nations, writes, "Can Asians think? Judging from the record ...www.salon.com/books/int/2002/03/25/asians/print.html - 36k - Cached - More pages from this site

The Thais I've talked to don't seem to be very sensitive to air pollution. I find the pollution near busy streets to by very bad. I understand the health risks of this air quality is serious, and it does kill and cause premature deaths. The locals also seem oblivious to the noise pollution. I would not eat at a roadside stall on a busy street here, but the locals seem oblivious.

It's a pity that the leader of TRT comes from Chiang Mai if I am not wrong. All he can think about is money and unfortunately he has convinced my of the people too. Little does he care that his home town is dying a slow death.

The current situation reminds me of my visit to a friend in Denmark some 10 years back. He had this beautiful house by a lake. I really loved the place and asked why it wasn't a tourist resort. He answered that he hoped it never will be.

Yes my wise Danish friend was correct, with tourist comes money with by-products like pollution from tourist buses and cars, rubbish (drink cans, food packs), noise. That is what is happening to beautiful Chiang Mai.

Well I guess the tourist will keep on coming to Thailand but moving to places like Nan etc. in search of scenes unlike the home they want to escape from. Very soon Chiang Mai will be just like another Singapore or Kuala Lumpur. Who wants to visit Chiang Mai when they can go over to this cities. In fact many of my friends are currently visiting China as it is as cheap or even cheaper to visit.

Maybe the best thing for Chiang Mai is to lose the tourist at least it would be a better place to live. Poorer but better quality of life, if we could measure it in terms of better environment and health. Perhaps the country requires a leader who doesn't think so much about money at the expense of the health of the people.

It's a pity that the leader of TRT comes from Chiang Mai if I am not wrong.

Yes, Mr. Big is a Chiang Mai native.

I was reading an article in one of the farang-oriented magazines recently (don't recall which, sorry) in which Mr Big was quoted as saying that he would like to see Chiang Mai become five times bigger in ten years or something to that effect. I shuddered when I read that. Sure, it's political hyperbole but it does give one an idea as to what direction he is thinking. He wants Chiang Mai to become a second Bangkok.

Not to sensitive to air pollution!

What about the food! Too much salt, MSG, sugar, chilies! No sensitivity at all it appears!

Going on an aircon bus, did you bring your down winter jacket?

Go to a concert or to a party at the Wat; the lights are too bright, music too loud (and bad normally), plastic trash all over the place. They say no problem they will burn all the plastic the next day if it doesn’t blow away first!

Or try a super store! How many different stereos and TVs all playing different music etc can you listen too all at once.

Sensitive is not a word I would use to describe these folks I’m sorry , really sorry about that!

This lack there of will in the end destroy them. Sad to say.

When a people understand the diffence between a plastic bag and a banana leaf maybe there will be a chance. Until then...........kiss it good bye

Zoning. Now here is a concept no Thai can comprehend. I live in a residential mooban. Down the street are !) Bottled water factory 2) Squid factory &3) Bakery. My Soi - 101/1 is covered in clay balls which no one gives a flying ###### about. Let them breathe that crap. They deserve it. Reminds me of the song "Paradise" by The Eagles.

Yo Toxin. When would be visitors hear that Bangkok traffic is worse now than it was in 1997 you can kiss your pipe dream of doubling tourist arrivals in 4 years goodbye. The fact is that the money grubbing dog eat dog mentality you inherited from the Chinese is alive & well. You had better build a causeway from Bankok to Phuket because the land based roads are more like parking lots. However if you are wise enough to install a TV into your mini-van you can watch Chinese Kung <deleted> movies while sitting in your airconditioned cars & bitch about the high price of gasoline.

:o

The so-called experts are blaming Pollution, the growing menace of high-rise buildings and unsightly billboards for the fall of tourism in Chiang Mai.

The facts are that the Chiang Mai landscape has changed very little in the last ten years, there is more pollution in London, New York and Paris than in Chiang Mai and that the only major changes are better improved roads, freeways and communication systems, internet, phone and satellite TV.

Chiang Mai is stiil a marvel to visit for everyone, for farangs and Thais who have never visited Thailand’s second biggest city before, or for those living in Chiang Mai.

The root cause for the fall of tourism in Chiang Mai is economics, the ever-increasing cost of international travel, hotel accommodation, restaurants, medical, insurance and services, especially in transit.

In the last four years some airlines have increased their fares by average 70% on their long haul flights. The airline companies have used the terrorist bombing of the twin towers and terrorism as a whole for their excuse to increase fares, stating that they have extra running costs for better security measures. Plus the airport authorities have created new airport taxes both abroad and in Thailand, and X amount more % extra fees for the privilege of booking flights paying by plastic. Any child over 12 years old is an adult and will pay adult fare, according to the policy of the airline companies

Last year the Thai government tried to get rid of Chiang Mai`s seedy image as a cheap knocking shop for single sex tourists and promote the real Chiang Mai in order to attract a, what they believe to be a better class of tourist, middle aged couples and families. The theory was that they will spend more. The process began by closing down bars and other late night establishments earlier.

There are still some reasonable priced flights to be had, but these normally mean changing aircraft in between journeys, traveling at only the limited dates and times specified. In most cases these will not be suitable for the type of tourist that the Thai tourist board wishes to attract, who desire some comfort at reasonable prices, meaning that the high costs of traveling on a direct long haul flight (a must if they have young children) is now out the question for the average earner holiday maker who is married with two children. It is the average family person wage earner that make up the bulk of tourists, worldwide.

Putting aside the basic inflationary costs in Thailand itself, which of course does not help the tourist trade, the best way to temp more western tourists and visitors to Chiang Mai and other places in Thailand is to create incentive airline flight deals and package tours.

For those in the tourist business, no one can blame them for making profit, as all companies need to make profit so as to be able to stay in business; otherwise there would be mass closures and unemployment. The ideal way to weald greater profits is to squeeze the hypothetical golden goose without it squawking too much. In other words, grab more without making it obvious, fairly and within the recommended retail price index. This is good management and can be understood by people that run their own businesses.

Sadly though, through greed, most companies and services pertaining to the tourist industries are squeezing too hard and choking the golden goose to death, i.e. end result, less tourists and visitors.

Back to OP

The topics raised by these learned Thais are exactly the same issues I raised in City Life Magazine 3-years ago, 2-years ago, and about 15 months ago - well..... guess they beat me to it this year.

At least someone is taking notice, but for me the best examples of unwanted developments are the row after row of empty shop houses along the new "heritage route" of the Sankampaeng/Borsang road, along the Mae Jo road, and clustered near Ratchamangkala Park on the Mae Rim Road just outside the Super Highway.

I was impressed with the installation (foreign funded of course) of all those new pedestrian crossings following my tourist survey published Dec 2002-Jan 2003 in Citylife, but am still waiting for someone to train Thai drivers in the meaning of a red light - i.e. it does not mean accelerate / pull away smoking the tyres / etc.

Tourists biggest gripes about being able to cross the roads and use the footpaths to walk around the city have had token action taken, but now it's all back to normal - ever tried riding a 2 wheeler down Ratchadumnoern Road - all them paving bricks are loose and rocking - makes it like riding a unicycle over a tray of ball bearings - don't affect the cars though, so they get impatient and overtake the bikes when going through cross roads.

Pollution is getting worse and worse - been in this house 2 years and recently the five Wats surrounding me have started cremations or something similar at 4:30am every morning - it now wakes me up unable to breath and coughing and spluttering from the smoke and dust it creates - and the taste in the air (not smell) is disgusting - makes me understand a little more about life in Treblinka and Auschwitz. Consequently I am seriously thinking about moving to a different address.

Eating food on the street? Main problem is not the pollution you're breathing - have you ever thought about the dirt that's lifted into the air by passing vehicles, that then settles on your food as you're eating it? Everything from dried and crushed dog dumps to burnt body dust from those "300 temples" - really healthy stuff huh?

As for introduce rules and regs - they ARE there already. They're just not enforced at any level until someone complains - then a swift under the table transaction removes the complaint and the transgretion becomes officially sanctioned as permissable "just this once".

TiT

As a frequent visitor to CM for the last 8 years, could I throw in a few points?

Firstly, pollution.....bullshit, it's heaven compared to BKK or any big city anywhere in the world.

Secondly, a concrete jungle......again, bullshit, Chiang Mai is a city, so what do you expect? Wide open spaces? Herds of wild elephants? Be realistic, all cities expand and redevelop. I'm rather sick of those people who want the citizens of the third world to be condemned to live in wooden shacks (minus water, loos, and comfort) for the rest of their lives, just because we Farangs think it looks "quaint"!

What's really gone wrong is purely Thai........Total corruption by local politicians has allowed all the eyesores of massive bill-boards, unplanned building and general squalor to prevail. The Puritanical fervour of the Governor has resulted in bars and restaurants closing earlier and earlier (and, of course, providing yet another source of easy "tea-money" for the local police!), so the place is becoming as inviting as a ghost town! Wake up, we come here on holiday, to spend good money and have an enjoyable time.....I don't want some old Fart telling me I should be in bed by midnight, or imposing his own sexual preferences on me!

But unlike Chiang Mai the people and the government not only put new stringent laws and regulations into effect, they enforced them. Many said that it would halt prosperity and ruin their business but government and the scientist’s that advised them persisted. Vermont is now a jewel of a state that benefits immensely from its reputation of being one of the few places so easily accessible, yet almost pristine.

Zoning regulations and ecological statutes are what saved Vermont from the fate that Chiang Mai now suffers.

Portland, OR is another example. The land use planning and zoning regulations have kept Portland green and the downtown vibrant. P{ortland took a little different tack than Vermont, though- as enforcement isn't stressed so much- littering fines aren't that high, for example.

But Portland is consistently listed among the most livable cities in the States, and land use planning laws are what allowed that to happen.

You hear the argument that "I should get to do whatever I want with my land." A very high degree of freedom should be allowed, but there should be some limits, just as there are on behaviour. IMHO.

I was in CM in March this year. I didn't notice any bad pollution or bad anything, to be honest, and I'm a country boy. I ate at the roadside stalls with no problem. I just thought it was a small foreign city. The little Roti stall on the square at Tapei gate was particularly appealing or, at least, the rotis were. :o

It's a city and cities develop or become museums. Live with it or move somewhere else.

The litter in Phuket is appalling - there needs to be a "Keep Thailand Clean" campaign and children need to be educated about it.

litter is a major problem.

thais seem to have no concept of removing rubbish or their environment.

I find it interesting how Much Nicer and cleaner the hotel gardens are in Bali,they seem to take much more pride than in Thailand.

I was also appalled at going to Phiphi and after a wonderful swim in the pristine water to go slightly beyond the shoreline and see rubbish everywhere.

Even on the beach in Pattaya and Jomtien I find myself picking up rubbish that the lazy beach vendors cant be bothered picking up.

Local Govt needs a good kick up the ass,Labour is so cheap ,keeping the place tidy should be easy.

Clearer skies for Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- The Pollution Control Department will spend Bt400 million on cutting pollution in Chiang Mai and Lamphun, director-general Apichai Chaovacharoenphan said yesterday.

The department measured the amount of dust particles in the two provinces and found 200 micrograms per cubic metre, which exceeds the standard limit of 120.

Forty per cent of the pollution came from automobiles, 40 per cent from open air burning and 20 per cent from construction and industry.

The pollution is made worse in the two provinces because of their geography. Mountains surround the towns, trapping dust particles in the air, especially at the end of the rainy season.

“Both provinces have lots of tourists visiting during the end of the rainy season. They can see cloudy skies as a result of the dust that hovers in the air. It blocks the sight of Doi Suthep, affects sightseeing tours and adversely affects public health,” Apichai said.

He said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had called a meeting of concerned agencies to seek solutions to the problem by next year.

Proposed measures include more regulation of about 2,000 local pickup taxis, some of which are 20 years old. The government may set aside funds for drivers to seek loans to change their engines.

“After some time, if their taxis still release pollution, they will be arrested,’’ Apichai said.

Other measures include banning open air burning , such as paddy stubble bonfires. The Agriculture Ministry will advise farmers against this practice, and tell them to use water to change paddy stubble into fertiliser.

On top of these problems, Apichai said northerners believe in burning corpses in the open air, rather than in crematoriums.

“We will send officials to speak with them and try and change this attitude and practice,’’ he said.

Proposed measures will be forwarded to the Cabinet for approval in August.

--The Nation 2004-07-29

Zoning. Now here is a concept no Thai can comprehend. I live in a residential mooban. Down the street are !) Bottled water factory 2) Squid factory &3) Bakery. My Soi - 101/1 is covered in clay balls which no one gives a flying ###### about. Let them breathe that crap. They deserve it. Reminds me of the song "Paradise" by The Eagles.
Dot com

I live in a residential Soi off Sukhumvit 93 which is a dead end soi.

Just opposite my (rented) house someone is building a 5 storey 80 room apartment block. Nowhere else along Sukhumvit 93 that I can think of apart from 93 Building is there any thing higher than 3 storey shop houses. There will be parking for about 10 cars, The water pressure is so low now that I have to use a water pump and it only took me 4 months to get a phone line. The only good thing about living here is that the trash man calls 3 times a week and even they have to back up the Soi to get to the end, and they cannot always do that if there are badly parked cars.

Fortunately for me I am moving anyway to a rented house about 5 km away off Udom Suk but I will miss the local friends I have made here.

At the weekends I go up country where my wife has a house and apart from the next door neighbour the nearest other neighbour is 1/2 a kilometre away. She has a place which backs onto the forest near Mae Won national park where most of the pollution in the air is coming from the charcoal fires that people cook on. :o

What a waste that the Government just let Chang Mai go to waste just like that.

Don't they know that you put money back in the business so as it will keep it's luster oinstead of being greedy and just taking all in without spending for improvements!!! Typical Thai mentality of greed.