Chiang Mai

arthsch

What type of entertainment do you look for. Chiang Mai has lots to offer from a vast number of restaurarants & bars, some playing very good live music, through night clubs & discos, cinemas, theatres, the night bizarre (sic.) and more. What do you want?

chiang mai ist a big city. with a lot of travellers. but has nothing for entertainment. what should the tourists do at evening? was several times there, but chiang mai is boring. :D

What type of entertainment do you look for. Chiang Mai has lots to offer from a vast number of restaurarants & bars, some playing very good live music, through night clubs & discos, cinemas, theatres, the night bizarre (sic.) and more. What do you want?

Exactly put!!

I think if it's been invented Chiangmai has it.

Perhaps the crazy closing hours at the moment, but then he / she doesn't apear to be in Chiangmai at the present time, so it can't be the hours.

Maybe you have had the wrong guide (if you are a she you can PM me and I will gaurantee you won't be bored :o )

If you are a he, 'sorry' :D

> what should the tourists do at evening?

Name one thing that's in Bangkok but not in Chiang Mai.

Admittedly Bangkok will have more of it, but keep in mind this is a 10 million people city as opposed to a 350,000 people city. And in Chiang Mai you can actually get to things conveniently, and it will be cheaper.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Also.. just a single post ago we had this whole story on how tourist numbers are falling BECAUSE Chiang Mai is changing more and more into Bangkok.

So what is it? :-) I personally think Chiang Mai has the best balance. You can actually do stuff (at night), unlike, say, Nan or Phrae, but it's not as big a mess as Bangkok. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

> what should the tourists do at evening?

Name one thing that's in Bangkok but not in Chiang Mai.

Admittedly Bangkok will have more of it, but keep in mind this is a 10 million people city as opposed to a 350,000 people city. And in Chiang Mai you can actually get to things conveniently, and it will be cheaper.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Working ADSL?

Restaurants that don't have to resort to 'cuties' to get you in. :o

Real taxi service.

Underground and elevated.

Flights to everywhere.

Room to hide.

A choice.

Working ADSL?
I just finished a 6 month project using DSL.. no major problems.. now if you want to bring up price I can't argue with you there :o
Restaurants that don't have to resort to 'cuties' to get you in. :D

To be honest I have lived here about 3 years and I have never ever been into one of those restaurants .. there are many good ones that don't use such tactics.

Real taxi service.
09 261 4290 I have only used them a couple of times but there were very good.
Underground and elevated.

Not sure what you mean .. is that a good thing ?

Flights to everywhere.
CNX has that too .. just many of them connect in Bangkok :D
Room to hide.

Chiang Mai is pretty big and not very populated.. plenty of room to hide .. unless you mean Hide plain sight .. not too many options there.

A choice.

you could choose Bangkok :D

/SM

Restaurants that don't have to resort to 'cuties' to get you in. :o

To be honest I have lived here about 3 years and I have never ever been into one of those restaurants .. there are many good ones tht don't use such tactics.

You could always try the Mango Tree! (Plug, Plug!)

But seriously.

Lord Foul, nice post.

Everything I could find there except from a few steak houses was geared for the true tourist, What with the heat during the wrong time of year and the continuing pollution I find CM a very dull and boring place to live. And just to big and crowded to be a good residential town and getting worse. :o

Everything I could find there except from a few steak houses was geared for the true tourist, What with the heat during the wrong time of year and the continuing pollution I find CM a very dull and boring place to live. And just to big and crowded to be a good residential town and getting worse. :o

There are lots of restaurants here that aren't geared to the tourist. Some of those places just happen to be close to tourist areas. I think some people see too many 'white faces' at a place and think it must be for tourists.. but the truth is there are a lot of expats here and they eat at a lot of the same places. If you wanted say really good German food .. you could go to To Nobody .. sure you wouldn't be the only whitey there but it sure isn't a tourist place.. same with Italian ,, you could go to Georgios (is that the right name?) on Chang Klan road .. it may be near the night market but it still is authentic Italian food.. I have also heard very good things about the Mango Tree from expats (I haven't been there yet) but he is located in a high traffic tourist(sex) area, but you can't fault the restaurant or the food based on that.

For me Chiang Mai is the best place in Thailand for me to live .. It's fairly modern (Good movie theaters, Bowling, Easy to get phone lines, DSL, Great eateries...).

Doesn't have the same attraction to Low Quality expats/tourists as places like Phuket or Pattaya.

Bangkok is a cheap flight away so I don't have to live there :D

Traffic and Pollution are really the only things that bother me, fix those issues and Chiang Mai is perfect (for me).

/SM

Traffic and Pollution are really the only things that bother me, fix those issues and Chiang Mai is perfect (for me).

/SM

And both of those are recent and on my top hate list also. Items I spoke about in previous post were mostly tongue-in-cheek but pollution on my last visit was very real. As I have been traveling to Chiang Mai since the late 70's remember how the city was dominated by the temples. It is sad to me that preservation of the old walled city was not made a priority.

It was not the tourist restaurants that I found the cuties but all the fast food places had them out front on weekends in full makeup/shorts. In Bangkok we sell cars with them but not food (at least that I have seen).

:o

It was not the tourist restaurants that I found the cuties but all the fast food places had them out front on weekends in full makeup/shorts.  In Bangkok we sell cars with them but not food (at least that I have seen).

Ahhh ok .. I thought you were talking about all the awful Thai restaurants that have obnoxiously loud music .. they always have a couple of hostess outside. .. it doesn't matter to me how good the food is if I can't have a conversation with someone less than a meter away from me. :o

I away feel sorry for the Coupon girls ( I assume those are the ones you are talking about) they have to dress up like clowns (or Katoeys) and usually there is only one per location .. so they don't even have comfort in numbers.

But I have seen them in Bangkok too .. but only at MBK .. not sure why that is.

/SM