The Torquay United Thread

mrtoad

Lots, of other clubs have got their threads, so rather than just highjack the Lower League thread, I bring you the Torquay United thread.

Great start to the season, 5 wins and two draws makes the mess of last year almost seem bearable.

Good luck for the guys on Monday night.

Anyway if any of you guys have sampled the delights of Plainmoor on you're footballing travels lets hear them. I know for certain that Chavy has fond memories of Plainmoor and it's wonderful floodlights.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lots, of other clubs have got their threads, so rather than just highjack the Lower League thread, I bring you the Torquay United thread.

Great start to the season, 5 wins and two draws makes the mess of last year almost seem bearable.

Anyway if any of you guys have sampled the delights of Plainmoor on you're footballing travels lets hear them. I know for certain that Chavy has fond memories of Plainmoor and it's wonderful floodlights.

Spot on there mate , not enough bulbs to light up your front room :D

Can't fault the location though. Great start to the season though.

Another thing Mrtoad, I remember getting back to Nottingham & Torquay United having a profound effect on me, so I wrote a letter & asked about buying merchandise (mugs , scarfs etc)....they replied with a price list.........written on the reverse of my letter :D I know money's scarce in the lower leagues but !!!!!!!! :o

Spot on there mate , not enough bulbs to light up your front room :D

Can't fault the location though. Great start to the season though.

Another thing Mrtoad, I remember getting back to Nottingham & Torquay United having a profound effect on me, so I wrote a letter & asked about buying merchandise (mugs , scarfs etc)....they replied with a price list.........written on the reverse of my letter :D I know money's scarce in the lower leagues but !!!!!!!! :o

Yeah, that sounds like Mike Bateson. I suppose a polite word is prudent rather than calling him a tight ass.

Was Mike Bateson there in 1975 :o ?

Probably not, think he got there in the mid 1980's. Okay, they must have had another tightass there then. Could have been Basil Fawlty :D

Edited by mrtoad

Chavy, if you still want some Torquay merchandise I'm sure I can get some for you, although I have to be careful, because the bloody source will probably end up sending me an Exeter City shirt for a laugh :o

Yes I'd like to check the spelling too ! :D

Have you a match today? Or are you like us, no game because the team's got too many internatioal call ups :o

No game today, as we are the Manchester United of the conference :D our game is televised on Monday night. Be great if could get it here, but very much doubt it.

Anyone know, if it is possible to get Sentana signal through any of the other systems?

Burton v Torquay

Burton's injury crisis has seen player-manager Nigel Clough and goalkeeper coach Martin Taylor, 40, named on the bench in recent games.

Daryl Clare and Dave Farrell are both doubtful after missing the midweek win over Crawley with respective ankle and foot injuries.

Torquay are waiting on the fitness of key midfielders Chris Hargreaves (groin) and Lee Mansell (shin).

Danny Stevens, Matt Hockley and Darren Mullings wait in the wings as cover.

Big game tonight, live on TV as well, but sadly not here. Will have to tune into Radio Devon tonight.

You must have a big ariel :D

I reckon a toughie tonight mate, Burton are no mugs but if they've got injuries you might just sneak a result against the brewers

Yeah, they are one of the better sides and have a good strriker in Daryl Clare at this level. I still think we will sneak it though :o

I wonder if Somchai & Sparky will consider doing a turn on their show about Torquay's fight to get back into the league? Anything's better than the drivel they spout off at half time :D

Those two muppets aren't welcome in Torquay. We only have class acts downh our way, like Basil Fawlty, Gus Honeybun, Helen Chamberlain and Bergerac (Ok John Nettles is from Cornwall. :o

GULLS WILL BE GOING FOR GOALS

BILL SOBEY AT PLAINMOOR

10 September 2007

Torquay United manager Paul Buckle has said there will be no holding back as the Gulls attempt to get back on top of the Blue Square Premier table tonight.

Buckle's side travelled to Staffordshire yesterday to face Nigel Clough's Burton Albion tonight in high spirits after scoring six goals and conceding none in recent league victories over Stafford Rangers and Salisbury.

Buckle said: "We're looking forward to the game, it's not going to be an easy because they're a good side but we'll be positive about it and look to win the game.

"We won't be looking to sit back or get a draw. We're looking to try and win the game.

"They're always a good footballing side as you'd expect under Nigel Clough. They've got a lovely stadium up there and a really good surface and they look to get the ball down and pass it. We'll have to be ready for that and be compact as a team and when we get the ball, it will be up to us to hurt them.

"I've certainly played against his teams as a player for Exeter and they always serve up a really tough challenge."

United have the added incentive of returning to the top of the table tonight, but Buckle tried to play down the hype surrounding his flying Gulls in recent weeks.

He said: "We can't dictate what people write good or bad about us, and we can't dictate what the expectation levels are going to be.

"All the staff and myself can do is try and train the players professionally and get them prepared in the right state of mind for every game, and that's what we'll continue to do.

"The players have been giving it everything in the games and they've given it everything in training this week. That's all they can do and all I ask of them, and we think that will serve us well.

"We're nowhere near the finished article. There's still loads of room for improvement, and it's a long season, but we've got to be pleased with the way we've started."

The Gulls' midweek performance against Salisbury was particularly pleasing for Buckle. Torquay overcame early pressure from the visitors to keep a clean sheet and score two goals in each half on the way to a 4-0 victory.

Buckle said: "I thought that Salisbury started the game very brightly against us and we had to show great resilience, especially with the early corners that they had.

"We had to be organised and once we came through their bright start by staying with runners and doing our job on set plays, we had our good spell and capitalised with two goals in the first half and then followed on with two in the second half.

"I don't think anyone would have had too many complaints about the score line."

Buckle is also confident that his squad is strong enough to achieve a result even if midfielders Chris Hargreaves and Lee Mansell fail late fitness tests on groin and ankle injuries respectively.

Buckle said: "We have got a few knocks but, I've got a strong squad of 20 and I feel that whoever I play will do the job."

Burton 3-1 Torquay

In-form Burton moved up to fourth as Nigel Clough's side ended high-flying Torquay's unbeaten record.

John Brayford gave Burton an early lead when his 30-yard free-kick found the top-left corner of the net.

Burton extended their lead when Jake Edwards set up Andy Gooding, who made no mistake with a right foot shot.

Gulls substitute Elliot Benyon scored less than three minutes after coming on, but Shaun Harrad sealed the points after being teed up by Keith Gilroy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Burton Albion: Poole, Holmes, Brayford, Greaves (Stride 84), Webster, Aiston (Corbett 67), McGrath, Gooding, Gilroy, Harrad, Edwards (Austin 84).

Subs Not Used: Goodfellow, Farrell.

Booked: Aiston, Brayford.

Goals: Brayford 14, Gooding 32, Harrad 83.

Torquay: Rayner, Hinshelwood, Woods, Todd, Nicholson, Stevens (Bedeau 46), Mansell, Hockley, Zebroski, Phillips (Benyon 75), Sills (Welsh 62).

Subs Not Used: Mullings, Rice.

Sent Off: Mansell (90).

Booked: Hinshelwood, Zebroski.

Goals: Benyon 77.

Att: 2,086.

:o:D

I suppose that we had to lose a game at some point. As we all know, it's a marathon and not a sprint, as the Oxford fans can vouch for. Hopefully, Buckle will get the right reaction from the players at the weekend. I'm glad I didn't bother getting up to listen to it on the radio.

I see the"Gulls" have Halifax tomorrow night.

For me I think 3 points in the bag because they wont like that trip all the way down there plus the clubs in alsorts of trouble off the pitch financially, not knowing if yur going to be in business one day after another must be disheartening for the players , fans etc

For me I think 3 points in the bag because they wont like that trip all the way down there plus the clubs in alsorts of trouble off the pitch financially, not knowing if yur going to be in business one day after another must be disheartening for the players , fans etc

Well, we know what that is like after last years antics. Hopefully we will gt the three points and bounce back after that defeat.

Whats happening with Halifax's website buyout?

I hear that a certain Scouser (near enough anyway) is offering his entertainment services at half-time for Torquay's evening games, Mr. Toad.

He does good renditions of "I'll Do It My Way", "Crocodile Shoes" and "Joe Le Taxi" :D

I bloody hope not. :o

Well, we know what that is like after last years antics. Hopefully we will gt the three points and bounce back after that defeat.

Whats happening with Halifax's website buyout?

That all went quiet about the website buy out., however, on another non league forum (In of the post) they say the consortium of one of the directors have been given 28 days extra to come up with a settled package suitable for all parties

Torquay v Halifax

Torquay have just one injury doubt with midfielder Chris Hargreaves still struggling to shake off a groin strain.

Lee Mansell deputised for Hargreaves against Burton, but he is now suspended having received a red card so Danny Steven or Matt Hockley could figure.

Halifax will be without defender Robert Scott who has a hamstring strain.

Matthew Doughty will come into the back four in what is likely to be the only change, although Steve Bushell is eyeing a recall on the comeback trail.

Source:BBC

Lets hope we can get a result tonight :o . Will start the weekend off well if that is the case.

Edited by mrtoad

Torquay 3-1 Halifax

Torquay returned to the top of the Blue Square Premier with a win over Halifax.

Tom Sills was denied by a superb save from visitors' keeper Craig Mawson before Chris Robertson headed Torquay in front shortly after the break.

Halifax equalised when Jon Shaw slotted home a penalty after Matt Hockley brought down Darryn Stamp.

But the hosts regained the lead when Sills headed in Kevin Nicholson's free-kick and Hockley's spectacular 20-yard volley sealed the win.

Source:BBC

Another good win for the Gulls, and certainly Sills looks to have been a good recruit from Hereford. Only temporary at the top as Stevenage won yesterday as well, so they are a point clear. All in all pretty pleased with the way they have adapted to playing in the conference.

Edited by mrtoad

Histon v Torquay

Torquay's Chris Hargreaves is an injury doubt for Tuesday's Blue Square Premier clash with Histon.

The midfielder will undergo a late fitness check on a suspect groin but the Gulls will be without the suspended Lee Mansell.

BBC

<deleted> is Histon? Anyoine been there?

Hopefully, Hargreaves will be fit as from reports he has been pretty influential in the revival, although not been fit for the last couple of matches.

Histon v Torquay

Torquay's Chris Hargreaves is an injury doubt for Tuesday's Blue Square Premier clash with Histon.

The midfielder will undergo a late fitness check on a suspect groin but the Gulls will be without the suspended Lee Mansell.

BBC

<deleted> is Histon? Anyoine been there?

Hopefully, Hargreaves will be fit as from reports he has been pretty influential in the revival, although not been fit for the last couple of matches.

Another guy I know is a Histon & Man U supporter. I think he told me they are around the Cambridge area. Mind you it's not his fault he supports a load of talentless useless bunch of w*****s ! & Histon aren't much better :o