Buddhist Retreat

llso

I have been thinking for a few years now of going to spend a few days in the local temple. I am very interested in Buddhism and this is something that I would like to do. I understand from a Thai friend that the abbot of a local Temple speaks very good English. Has anyone ever done this?

LL

I have yes. Other Westerners I know have had varying experiences but in most cases the degree of positivity or negativity they experienced was mainly based on their prior expectations. Some were expecting constant one-on-one attention, endless questions answered, enlightenment in a week!

What the wats offer will vary greatly also. You say it is your local wat and it seems as if you are familiar with it. Have you been to many pujas, full moon observances, things like that (other than busy festivals)? The more familiar you are with the everyday lifecycles the more realistic your expectations.

Some wats lay on specific courses for westerners - teachings in English and meditation instruction. I'm just moving to Nong Khai and there is such a one there (here's a link: http://www.danishbaker.dk/freedom.asp ).

However your scenario implies just you, joining in with the general life of the monks. If the abbot is free enough and amenable to give you teachings and instruction it would certainly be a very valuable experience for you - however don't assume this. You could effectively be on silent retreat without being able to ask about what's going on. So I'd suggest you talk to the abbot and check all these things, making sure your timing doesn't coincide with a silent period - unless that's what you want of course. It's the Rains Retreat right now - many wats will be in a period of silent retreat until October.

You would however definitely be expected to join in with the monastic rhythms - getting up at perhaps 4 or 5 a.m., not eating after midday, sleeping on the floor, things like that.

I intend to do what you are proposing quite regularly, but then I kind of know the score, having lived in a monastery for a year. In your case talk to the abbot and 'negotiate' a time and experience that suits what you want. With a little preparation it should be a very powerful experience for you.

Hope this helps :o

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. It was very informative. I sort of know what it will be like. I did not consider that with the rains retrerat might be a silent period. I will go try to speak with the abbot and will report here my experieces when i do this.

Thanks again,

LL

Ilso, I've been taking retreats semi-regularly in Thai monasteries for around 25 years. Beyond the language condition, which is very important, I suggest you select a place where they have hosted foreigners before. This will ease, somewhat, the two-way culture shock on both sides of the equation.

In today's BKK Post, Outlook section, there's a short list of good places for retreat in Thailand, from Frits Koster, the author of a new book entitled Liberating Insight: Introduction to Buddhist Psychology and Insight Meditation.

- Wat Bhaddanta Asabharam, 118/1 Moo 1, Ban Nong Pru, Nong Pai Kaew, Ban Bung, Chon Buri 20220. Telephone: 038-292-361. Mobile: 07-062-1834 (Phra Ratha Mahaviriyo). Email: [email protected]

- Wat Vivek Asom, Soi Prachanukul 7, Banbung Road, Muang district, Chon Buri 20000. Telephone: 038-283-766.

- Wat Sorn Thawee, Sametnua, Bangkla, Chachoengsao 24110. Telephone: 038-541-405.

- Wat Mahadhatu (section 5), 3 Maharaj Road, Bangkok 10200. Telephone: 02-222-6011.

full article: in search of spaciousness

[You'll have to register (free) to read the whole article - an interview with the author - online.]

To which I might add these wats in the north, all open to foreigners on retreat:

- Wat Tham Thong, Hot, Chiang Mai Province

- Wat Phra That Chom Thong, Chom Thong, Chiang Mai Province

- Wat Ram Poeng, Amphoe Muang, Chiang Mai Province

- Wat U Mong, Amphoe Muang, Chiang Mai Province

Wat Phra That Chom Thong and Wat Ram Poeng both offer instructional retreats monthly, ranging from 14 to 26 days in length. At the other two you're expected to practive on your own.

In NE Thailand

-Wat Hin Mak Peng, Si Chiangmai, Nong Khai

-Wat Pa Wana Phothiyan, Phibun Mangsahan, Ubon Ratchathani, on a peninsula on the northeast shore of Sirindhorn Reservoir

A friend of mine, Bill Weir, produced an excellent little guide to the meditation temples of Thailand a few years back, for the WFB, where it's available for around 20B a copy. It's also available free online at several Buddhist websites, including:

meditation temples of thailand

Bill's guide was an update of a much older (1970s) version written by Sunno Bhikkhu (Jack Kornfield), who I came to know after he left the monkhood and began teaching in California.

If you can get it from the WFB, the printed version is useful since it contains names and addresses in Thai script; the online versions do not. All versions are out of date, since it was last done in 1991. Wat Bowonniwet in Bangkok, for example, no longer accepts foreign students. But at least 85% of the places listed in this guide still accept foreign retreatants as far as I know.

Better it is to live one day virtuous and meditative

than to live a hundred years immoral and uncontrolled.

Dhammapada 110

Better it is to live one day

seeing the rise and fall of things

than to live as hundred years

without ever seeing the rise and fall of things.

Dhammapada 113

I have been thinking for a few years now of going to spend a few days in the local temple.  I am very interested in Buddhism and this is something that I would like to do. I understand from a Thai friend that the abbot of a local Temple speaks very good English. Has anyone ever done this?

LL

Rereading your post, I sense you may be sentimental about your local temple and may already have decided that's the place for you. If so then my previous suggestions may not be very useful ... Either way I wish you all the best with your endeavour.