"of Course"

Neeranam

Of course, sure, naturlally etc. How many Thai words are there?

I have always used "แน่นอน" nae norn, but recently saw " แน่เลย" on the Loso Panthip song lyrics. I am sure there are many more.

Neeranam

Of course = แน่นอน (nae norn) ชัวร์ (sure) รับประกัน (gaurantee) เอาหัวเป็นประกันเลย (aow-hua-pen-pra-gun-leay = You can cut my head if I am wrong) and many more.

แน่เลย = I strong believe that/I am sure = เธอทำเงินหายแน่เลย = I strongly believe/I am sure that she has lost her money.

Of course = แน่นอน (nae norn) ชัวร์ (sure) รับประกัน (gaurantee) เอาหัวเป็นประกันเลย (aow-hua-pen-pra-gun-leay = You can cut my head if I am wrong) and many more.

แน่เลย = I strong believe that/I am sure = เธอทำเงินหายแน่เลย = I strongly believe/I am sure that she has lost her money.

Of course = แน่นอน (nae norn) ชัวร์ (sure)
Hi there! :D

I've come up with these alternative expressions which I feel are similar enough and could therefore sometimes fit the desired criteria. :o

Username 2004,it's good to see you're posting and explaining the use of Thai.

I'd be glad if you could give me your opinion re these terms. :D

1.อย่างไม่ต้องสงสัย "yahng mai dtong song-sai"=doubtlessly

2.แน่ๆ"nae nae"=for sure

3.อย่างไม่มีเงื่อนไข "yahng mai mee nuang kai"=unconditionally

4.อย่างไม่มีข้อจำกัด"yahng mai mee koh jam-kat"=unconditionally

5.ไม่มีพลาด "mai mee plaht"

6.เชื่อมั่น "chua mun"

รับประกัน (gaurantee) เอาหัวเป็นประกันเลย (aow-hua-pen-pra-gun-leay = You can cut my head if I am wrong) and many more.

For guarantee,I'd like to submit these synonyms:

1.สัญญา"san-yah"=promise

2.รับปาก "rap pahk"=give one's word

3.สาบาน "sah-bahn"=swear

4.ให้คำปฏิญาณ "hai kam pate-yahn"=vow

5.ให้คำมั่น "hai kam mun"

6.สบถ "sabot"=promise

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

snowleopard, nice! I couldn't think of these synonyms when I was replying. :o

6.เชื่อมั่น "chua mun"

5. I cannot think of any English equivalent for "ไม่มีพลาด." So, let me give you some examples.

NUETRAL CONNOTATION:

USERNAME2004: Would you come the game tomorrow night? [May I ask, Do I have to put an apostrophe after "tomorrow": tomorrow's night?]

SNOWLEOPARD: ผมไปแน่นอน ไม่มีพลาด (pom pai nae norn mai mee pard = I will go for sure. I won't miss it.)

NEGATIVE CONNOTATION:

NUT: Are you sure he will come (so that we can kill him)?

JOHN: ไม่มีพลาด (= "I am sure" with an implication: I have been following him for days and he always comes at this particular time, so I am sure that he will come.)

NOTES:

1. As far as I can think of right now, the word is usually/often used in conspriracy situations, as the second example suggests.

2. "พลาด" only means to miss: to miss the ball (to fail to catch the ball).

6. "เชื่อมั่น" = I am confident

6.สบถ "sabot"=promise

5. "ให้คำมั่น" = "to give you my word." Often used with "สัญญา" (sun ya [N.] = a promise) and usually said in an extremely romantic relationship to your lover: ผมให้คำมั่นสัญญาว่าผมจะกลับมาหาคุณ (pom hai kum mun sun ya wa pom ja glub ma ha khun = I promise that I will come back to you.)

6. I *never* hear this word "สบถ" in daily conversation; it is often, if not always, used in creative writing. "สบถ," according to Thai Royal Institution Dictionary, means "อ้างสิ่งศักดิ์สิทธิ์ให้ลงโทษตนเองเมื่อไม่เป็นไปอย่างพูด" (To promise under the condition that god/or godlike figure will punish you if you didn't keep your promise)

Some explanations may be not clear...sorry.

snowleopard, nice! I couldn't think of these synonyms when I was replying.  :(

6.เชื่อมั่น "chua mun"

5. I cannot think of any English equivalent for "ไม่มีพลาด." So, let me give you some examples.

NUETRAL CONNOTATION:

USERNAME2004: Would you come the game tomorrow night? [May I ask, Do I have to put an apostrophe after "tomorrow": tomorrow's night?]

SNOWLEOPARD: ผมไปแน่นอน ไม่มีพลาด (pom pai nae norn mai mee pard = I will go for sure. I won't miss it.)

NEGATIVE CONNOTATION:

NUT: Are you sure he will come (so that we can kill him)?

JOHN: ไม่มีพลาด (= "I am sure" with an implication: I have been following him for days and he always comes at this particular time, so I am sure that he will come.)

NOTES:

1. As far as I can think of right now, the word is usually/often used in conspriracy situations, as the second example suggests.

2. "พลาด" only means to miss: to miss the ball (to fail to catch the ball).

6. "เชื่อมั่น" = I am confident

6.สบถ "sabot"=promise

5. "ให้คำมั่น" = "to give you my word." Often used with "สัญญา" (sun ya [N.] = a promise) and usually said in an extremely romantic relationship to your lover: ผมให้คำมั่นสัญญาว่าผมจะกลับมาหาคุณ (pom hai kum mun sun ya wa pom ja glub ma ha khun = I promise that I will come back to you.)

6. I *never* hear this word "สบถ" in daily conversation; it is often, if not always, used in creative writing. "สบถ," according to Thai Royal Institution Dictionary, means "อ้างสิ่งศักดิ์สิทธิ์ให้ลงโทษตนเองเมื่อไม่เป็นไปอย่างพูด" (To promise under the condition that god/or godlike figure will punish you if you didn't keep your promise)

Some explanations may be not clear...sorry.

Hi Username 2004! :D

I think your explanations are great! :wub:

NUETRAL CONNOTATION:

I wouldn't use the possessive genitive S in that sentence! :o

I would say it like you did! Namely,"the game tomorrow night";or,tomorrow night's game.

A hard day's work,an exciting game tomorrow night and then a good night's sleep! :D

There can sometimes be a confusion between English and Thai when you join two nouns together in attributive use!

In English the noun in front becomes the modifier while in Thai it's the other way around because a Thai adjective goes after the noun it modifies!

How was it now?A phone card or a card phone? :D

I've noticed that Thai students of English sometimes get mighty confused!

The phone card you use for the card phone! :D

Not you of course Username beacause your English is so good that you can even explain fine details of Thai in that language for us! -_-

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Can i correct something here?

สบถ "sabot"=promise

Sabot = Swear

We always used with "Sabaan" like this "Sabot Sabaan"

We don't like to use "Sabot" alone 'coz it's gonna be another meaning

If we use only "sabot" = swearing (saying bad word such as S--t)

For intrend. when we wanna make sure we say "jing di" จริงดิ

Example :

Jib : I got two concert tickets for us.

Joy: อ้าว จริงดิ aow Jing di (Jing with high and long tone, di short)

Jib : จริง จริ้ง Jing Jing (1st jing low tone, 2nd jing High and long tone)

sometimes we can say "panaan dai luey" พนันได้เลย = I bet u

take care,

Thai chubby girl jaaa

จริงแท้แน่นอน

Jing tae nae noon :o