My Experience From Quitting Smoking

BalthazarBeefheart

I would firstly like to thank those who drew my attention to Allen Carrs Easyway to stop smoking - when I think of how I stopped I say to myself "Piece of Piss".

There are many hints that can be drawn from this book I think probably the most important one for me was learning to pity other smokers rather than envy them having a cigarette - also try to help them give up. I have found it quite amazing listening to the excuses other smokers give for continuing their addiction the best so far is "well at least I know when I'm gonna die" - lucky chap I thought but couldn't see the logic.

All I know is I smoked for 35 years but now I consider myself a non-smoker - I noted the comments of John K regarding when one gave up and as a result cannot remember how long ago I gave up smoking.

I don't know if others have had the same experience but I have noticed I am less stressed since I quit - I believe it was the need to fuel the nicotine addiction that was making me stressed in the past - that is why one feels calmer after smoking a cigarette - vicious circle.

One word of warning for those who also have a liking for excesses of alcohol - I did notice I went seriously off the rails a little while after I quit - I think it may have had something to do with the fact drinks tasted a lot better.

Anyway, I really never thought I would ever quit smoking so I am extremely grateful to those on this forum whose comments greatly helped me. If anyone is considering quitting and would like any help dont hesitate to contact me.

Cheers BB

Congratulations - I've quit for a few months(can't remember exactly - maybe 6). I've found that I'm more stressed. I especially get some anxiety when I'm dosing off to sleep. I had to sit up a few times, thinking I was having a heart attack. I've given up booze and other drugs too.