Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

Recently their was a post seeking the best hamburger in Bangkok. For those that are still searching then you may want to check out todays (Friday/14 Sept) Bangkok Post. Go to the real.time section, EATINGOut, page R12 for a good report on where those best hamburgers are. I dont know but the article may also be available on line at www.bangkokpost.com

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Garage's burger is huge, prepared with a half-pounder (eight ounces) beef patty - not the traditional six ounces

Since when is a burger traditionally six ounces?

I ate at the All Seasons location a few years ago. The burger was ok - but as I have not been back I think you can draw your own conclusions as to how great the burger is.

I'll go try it again when I visit CentralWorld... along with White Spot and Mos - and then I'll tell you which is the best burger there LOL.

I ordered the best-selling cheeseburger (210 baht) which arrived on a home-baked bun with seasoned wedge fries, and found that it was pleasant.

Hardly the enthusiastic recommendation of a burger lover... :o But thanks for the info, Spaniel - maybe someone else can go try and report back as to how good the burger was.

Edited by onethailand
  • Like 1

My Centralworld burger run, part 1.

Mos Burger - coming from the BTS, up the escalator, past Zen, you will run into Mos Burger - "Japanese Fine Burgers & Coffee".

Ordered a Mos Cheeseburger for 69 baht.

Bun - typical fast food bun, nothing to rave about.

Comes with a huge slice of tomato - this I kind of like. Also has some sort of a tomato sauce lathered over it, reminds me a bit of spaghetti sauce - sloppy like a Tommy's Burger in LA (Tommy's is way better though).

The meat - marinated. Bit surprising for fast food, but there you have it - taste is quite average.

For 69 baht, not bad. Won't exactly be rushing back for more though, especially as I can have a Whopper at Emporium (or near Amarin Plaza) for slightly more.

Edited by onethailand

My CentralWorld burger run, part 2.

Triple O's White Spot - in the Central Food Hall, 7th floor, across from SFWorld Cinema. Bit hard to find, so look for the cinema, it is directly across behind Nut Candy and New Zealand Natural.

Ordered a Triple O Combo for 250 baht - honestly I only wanted the burger but that option did not appear to be available. And though I also love milkshakes, decided to pass on it this time as I still have to do the Garage, plus a combo would already be quite filling.

Fries - decent. I am particular to McDonald's fries (not Burger King or KFC, those never taste the same) - here the fries are a bit thicker and they're fresh.

Ketchup - Heinz, always the right choice - however, I think they need to do away with the bottles and get some dispensers or squirt bottles.

The pickle - so-so. Actually, I don't mind pickles like this - don't like them too sour - but this was a bit on the bland side.

The bun - not bad. At least it's properly grilled.

Lettuce - plenty, almost too much. The tomato was disappointing by comparison to Mos Burger.

Bacon - not as crisp as it should be but otherwise good - and way better than most other places make bacon.

The patty - almost unnoticeable. Very disappointing. Grilled, not flame or charcoal broiled. But at least the beef was not marinated and seemed to be better quality than McDonalds or Burger King.

Triple O sauce - what is it? Hardly even noticed it, I thought it was just ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard.

Drink - for 250 baht the least you can do is give me a 16 oz drink... but they gave me 12 oz. From the fountain, no less - why the heck are they charging 10 baht to go up another 4 oz when it costs them about 1 baht in additional syrup and soda?

For the damage of 250 baht - I don't think I'll be rushing back here soon either unless they sell the burgers separately, then depends on the price. I can have a Triple Whopper at Burger King for less than 250 baht and it tastes great as long as they don't overcook the beef.

Edited by onethailand

CentralWorld burger run, part 3.

The Garage, 7th floor near Daidomon (towards Major Cineplex) - never seen a place with two different cinema chains in the same building - on the same floor!

By this time as you can guess I'm not so hungry any more, but I still had to stop at the Garage.

Ordered a Garage burger, 180 baht.

Came with wedge fries flavored with what I believe is paprika - and way overcooked.

Cole slaw - limpest I've seen in a long, long time - not good.

Ketchup - Heinz, good, and it wasn't too slow coming out of the bottle either. Mustard was French's.

Comes with some onion, tomatoes (better than Triple O but worse than Mos), and a huge piece of iceberg lettuce.

The bun - not bad, Triple O was better.

The beef - huge by comparison to either Mos or Triple O. Was asked how I would like it done, I replied medium (actually I prefer medium rare but in Thailand "medium rare" sounds like "medium well" to untrained ears). Unfortunately, it came closer to well-done than medium well (and I ordered medium...). Burger had pieces of onion (or onion soup mix) and pepper mixed in to beef which was of very ordinary quality - in my opinion over-flavored, and the beef did not taste that good though it was probably "fresh". My instinct says that this beef had been drained of blood and frozen. Apparently charcoal-grilled but didn't taste anything like it, maybe some special sort of frying grill...

I could barely finish the burger and one wedge cut fry.

For 200 baht plus service and tax (236 baht), I will not be going back because I didn't enjoy the burger at all, it was no better than the one I had years ago at the Garage's All Seasons location.

In summary -

Best tasting burger - Triple O White Spot - but debatable in terms of value.

Best value burger - Mos Burger, hands down. Yeah I know, it's fast food, but it's pretty good for fast food.

Biggest burger - The Garage. Only if you are really hungry and taste is secondary.

The only other burger joint that I know of in here at the moment is McDonalds - so in order of rank as to where I would be likely to visit next time I come to CentralWorld:

1. Mos Burger

2. McDonalds

3. Triple O White Spot

4. The Garage

There *must* be a better burger somewhere in Bangkok...

Edited by onethailand

Will try Greyhound as well, as I pass through Emporium nearly every day. Strangely enough I ignored the burgers the last two visits, even though a burger is normally one of the first things I would go for.

MOS is pretty good for fast food, I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

Greyhound's Elvis Burger at Emporium

180 baht plus service and VAT. Comes with fries and Thai-style pickles, slice of onion, two slices of tomato, some iceberg lettuce.

The Elvis Burger is a cheeseburger with a single piece of bacon. Size appears to be about a quarter pound.

Bun - nice bread and properly toasted.

Bacon - one slice seems too little for this size of burger.

The beef - marinated (*sigh*), not dissimilar to the burger I had at Garage. Maybe this is the way Thais like their hamburgers? Decent size though and didn't taste too bad.

Fries - same as Triple O's - thicker than the shoestring potatoes you find at McDonalds. Fried just right, they were pretty good.

Pickles - yuck.

Tomato - not bad but not thick enough.

Onion - fresh (yum).

All in all it's a decent burger. Not something to go back for (at least not for me). Would still rate Triple O's closest to what I consider a good burger but they absolutely must improve on the amount of meat in a burger.

Value-wise I would put Greyhound after Mos, McDonalds, Burger King and before Triple O's and Garage.

Still searching for an awesome burger...

I am amazed you didn't rate the Greyhound burger more highly. I'm a picky sod and I hate fat (therefore I despise McD and BK etc.) but Greyhound was truly excellent. It's up there with the best minced fillet steak burgers I've had. When it arrives it looks small but the meat is actually quite thick and it was just enough. 180 baht is steep for it's size, but well worth it for the taste and quality.

Where is Triple Os? Haven't heard of that one.

I am amazed you didn't rate the Greyhound burger more highly. I'm a picky sod and I hate fat (therefore I despise McD and BK etc.) but Greyhound was truly excellent. It's up there with the best minced fillet steak burgers I've had. When it arrives it looks small but the meat is actually quite thick and it was just enough. 180 baht is steep for it's size, but well worth it for the taste and quality.

Where is Triple Os? Haven't heard of that one.

Triple O's is in CentralWorld on the 7th floor directly across from SFWorld Cinema (not Major Cineplex, which is on the same floor).

Size of the Elvis burger at Greyhound was fine, but that wasn't anything near minced fillet steak :D Marinated beef typically puts me off with rare exception - I like fresh beef. And good burgers need some fat to add flavor, the same as skin on a piece of chicken, when charcoal grilled, adds flavor. If I didn't want fat, I wouldn't be eating burgers in the first place :o

Anyhow, no more burger reviews for a few days, I'm in KL chowing on BBQ chicken wings and chicken and lamb satay... yummmmm!

If you dive into the other burger thread that's about 15 pages long you'll see this basic discussion with some different venues. A number of us, though by no means all, agreed that the burger at Outback Steakhouse was the most reliably good "authentic" American burger (some people seemed to hate Outback's service, but I've only had fantastic service and anyway the burger tastes fine whatever the case). The caveat to Outback is that it's of the greasy spoon, griddle-prepared variety, not the flame grilled variety. This means that while it's good, it's not comparable to a properly flame grilled burger. A number of people, by no means all again, also felt that Triple O's over at CWP is now the best burger in town. There was also a sizeable contingent of people who liked Nanaburgers and the like. I think several people also mentioned Bully's Pub? I forget exactly. To the extent that there was concensus among the thread, that consensus seemed to hold that Burger King was still the best standby burger. Personally, I don't think this means it's a particularly good burger in the larger perspective, rather that this is a commentary on the state of burgers in Asia (Thailand specifically in this case). Still, among Thai burgers it's dependably good compared to almost every known alternative in Bangkok. Special note: everyone seemed to agree that the burgers at Mike's on Silom taste like ten pounds of hot ass and cabbage flavored with bone and gristle (could not agree more with everyone, the place is utter crap).

Personally, that I can recall, I've had the burgers (in Bangkok) at McDonald's, Irish Xchange, Barbican, Mike's, Roadhouse, Great American Rib Company, Bourbon Street, Woodstock, Sin, Burger King, Outback Steakhouse, The Wall Pub, the old Steak One Silom and a number of places the names of which I can't recall. Of all those places, the only burgers I could recommend to visitng Texans are Outback and Burger King. I still need to try Triple O's. A lot of those burgers are perfectly edible, Great American Rib Company for example, but a little too overwrought in one way or another. I think I was most let down by Great American Rib Company and Woodstock's - not that they were the worst, they were two of the best that didn't fully rate in my book. Unfortunately, both places generally do a great job of recreating American comfort foods and my expectations were much higher for them.

Just to reiterate from the other thread, I think a large amount of the variance in taste occurs because Americans, UK folks and continentals all have differing ideas of what a "good burger" is (I have no idea what Australians think is a good burger, but I'm guessing it involves Vegemite and kangaroo). Being Texan, I obviously think American style burgers are the best, but that doesn't mean that the pub burgers that pass muster for the European crowd aren't good for someone else, I just find them overbearing and overwrought most of the time. A good burger is pretty simple and doesn't need to be marinated overnight in onion marinade and served on a gourmet bun with an oval-shaped patty and slaw and an egg on top and whatever else I've gotten when eating at pubs, but again that's just my culture-specific opinion and I understand why others' may differ.

Either way, the great thing about these threads is that I get new places to check out. Next stop: Greyhound and Triple O's. We should start a bestburgerinthailand.com web site and submit reviews, because this seems to be one of the more hotly debated topics in these parts, heh.

Same BKK Post real Time:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/140907_Realtime...007_real017.php

Doing it right

Bangkok stalwart still serving up tasty burgers after more than 20 years in the game

Reviewed by MIKE ATKINS

Hope that helps

Waerth

Thanks for that. Know where it is so if I ever stop in that area again (possibly Saturday as the little one needs a shot at Samitvej) I might try the house burger (much as I like Cajun, I still don't want it in my burger). On-On, when was the last time you had a burger at Woodstock?

... oops, just noticed the house burger has stuff mixed in as well. Don't they have a plain 100% pure beef burger?

Oh and btw, on-on, I was already looking up domain names for the burger site last week... pity BBQ.com wasn't available (Bangkok Burger Quest)

Edited by onethailand

(I have no idea what Australians think is a good burger, but I'm guessing it involves Vegemite and kangaroo).

Don't forget pickled beet-root and canned pineapples! :D

Exactly. :D A couple of slices of beetroot plus lettuce and tomato are the key ingredients to make it an Australian burger. Pineapple, fried onion, bacon, cheese and a fried egg are the optional extras. When you have all of these, you have what is known in Oz as a 'burger with the lot'. Yum!

post-18801-1190228404_thumb.jpg

Now available up here in Chiang Mai. :o

I didn't mean for this to be a "where is the best burger in Bkk". I posted to call attention to the Bangkok Post article on hamburgers. But since it has developed into another "best burger" thread my vote is for burgers at the Texxan located ifn Washington Square.

Like you, I like the Triple O's White Spot hamburgers, AND the mos hamburger offerings as well

as their fish and pork sandwiches, but for me the Garage Burgers at Central world, 7th Floor and

Four Seasons Place, 2nd floor are the best in Thailand.

Actually, those I make at home are better as they most resemble the great Fuddrucker's hamburgers

from the U.S. which are the world's best IMHO. In England, I like Wimpy's btw.

Ken

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Triple O's White Spot - in the Central Food Hall, 7th floor, across from SFWorld Cinema. Bit hard to find, so look for the cinema, it is directly across behind Nut Candy and New Zealand Natural.

Ordered a Triple O Combo for 250 baht - honestly I only wanted the burger but that option did not appear to be available. And though I also love milkshakes, decided to pass on it this time as I still have to do the Garage, plus a combo would already be quite filling.

Fries - decent. I am particular to McDonald's fries (not Burger King or KFC, those never taste the same) - here the fries are a bit thicker and they're fresh.

Ketchup - Heinz, always the right choice - however, I think they need to do away with the bottles and get some dispensers or squirt bottles.

The pickle - so-so. Actually, I don't mind pickles like this - don't like them too sour - but this was a bit on the bland side.

Lettuce - plenty, almost too much. The tomato was disappointing by comparison to Mos Burger.

Bacon - not as crisp as it should be but otherwise good - and way better than most other places make bacon.

The patty - almost unnoticeable. Very disappointing. Grilled, not flame or charcoal broiled. But at least the beef was not marinated and seemed to be better quality than McDonalds or Burger King.

Triple O sauce - what is it? Hardly even noticed it, I thought it was just ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard.

Drink - for 250 baht the least you can do is give me a 16 oz drink... but they gave me 12 oz. From the fountain, no less - why the heck are they charging 10 baht to go up another 4 oz when it costs them about 1 baht in additional syrup and soda?

For the damage of 250 baht - I don't think I'll be rushing back here soon either unless they sell the burgers separately, then depends on the price. I can have a Triple Whopper at Burger King for less than 250 baht and it tastes great as long as they don't overcook the beef.

I ordered a burger from Novotel in Siam Square via room service when i was staying there on buiness, and for 300 THB, ( which is very cheap for this brand hotle) it was very good,

Perect fresh burger bun toasted

Ripe tomatoes

Fresh Iceburg Lettuce

Onions ECT ECT

Prime home made beef patty, not to big and not to small

Also cheese and REAL bacon

On the side Potatoe Wedges, Cooked just right!

Edited by Boater

Like you, I like the Triple O's White Spot hamburgers, AND the mos hamburger offerings as well

as their fish and pork sandwiches, but for me the Garage Burgers at Central world, 7th Floor and

Four Seasons Place, 2nd floor are the best in Thailand.

Actually, those I make at home are better as they most resemble the great Fuddrucker's hamburgers

from the U.S. which are the world's best IMHO. In England, I like Wimpy's btw.

Ken

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A good burger is fried- not barbequed nor grilled nor flambed. And no spices- not even salt. The only condiment needed is hunger - and a chill.

The bun is just that- a white bread bun- buttered- which may, in better establishments, be lightly fried- the salt from the butter will ooze into the burger.

There are two possible condiments- ketchup- which the burger is dipped in, and, in situations that don't provide hi-falutin' utensils like plates- (say a cattle auction), mustard.

Pickles may be grabbed from the jar or, in instances of fine dining, served along side.

In those rare events one finds oneself in a more decorous venue (one that has a juke box say, and plates) the pickle, always a crunchy dill, may be served on the side. Sliced lengthwise into thirds- if the joint knows what it's doing- it serves only the middle slice and uses the two outer slices for god knows what.

And relish? That was invented to appease the sweet tooth of the kids- who should by rights be in the truck anyway!

Cheeze on a hamburger? I've heard of it- suspect it's a European affectation. Can't comment beyond that.

Milk shakes are not served with hamburgers. Black coffee- with a couple of lumps. No need for cream - the butter will more that soak up an afternoon's mickey of rye.

Like all that was great in the west, the humble hamburger was ruined by funny little men in suburban back yards wearing aprons and silly hats. Cultural appropriation at its worst. Still, a late spring rodeo- an early autumn hot rod show, -these things can alway bring out something in a good burger that all the gruyere and truffles in the world can never hope to.

Finding a burger in Bangkok? Why?