Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

Finding a burger in Bangkok? Why?

I think on-on said it best - American comfort food.

Just wait until I start on Chinese food...

BTW, stayed in the Ritz-Carlton in KL - expected fancy-schmancy and got better than average... I thought the R-C hotels were supposed to be amongst the best chains in the world?

Anyhow, on the menu, they had a Wagyu Burger for about 780 baht... man was I sorely tempted... but when a stick of lamb satay (kambing) costs 6-7 baht... wagyu was a distant second - plus I was afraid I would be disappointed.

Ken - maybe you and I are eating different burgers - but in both my Garage trips (to each location, years apart) I came up with the exact same result - not worth a second trip. But if you make Fuddrucker's you better open up shop soon... that is just about my perfect burger.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think there's any real point in reviewing a Burger King Triple Whopper... but I had one last night and it still rates as the best burger in town (so far) - the only worry you ever have is if they've overcooked the meat. hel_l, even the kids fight over my burger :o

Triple O's may still rate better as far as taste is concerned but only just barely so - and as far as value is concerned they are on completely opposite ends of the scale with BK winning hands down - and given a choice I would take BK *every* time.

Hehe, Burger King is pretty ###### decent indeed...just had a bacon double cheeseburger delivered :o The triple whopper, though, my God...I don't think my mouth opens wide enough :D

My two girls have no problem getting their mouths around it, though obviously they can't bite in too far :D

Big Mac yesterday. Same old. No longer worth eating, I really wish they would bring back the Quarter Pounders.

Went to the Roadhouse BBQ on the corner of Suriwongse and Rama IV today. Had the cheeseburger with grilled onions and bacon.

Ketchup and mustard were both Heinz (good enough for me).

The bun - soggy, probably commercially made. Toasted but without butter.

No onions. Tomatoes were average, bit of lettuce. The slice of pickle was nice but kinda small.

The beef - marinated again (*sigh*). Almost certainly onion soup mix - fortunately not too much of it, unlike Garage and Greyhound which basically reeked of onion soup and tasted too sweet. Asked for medium rare, got rare (okay, but not everyone appreciates rare although I don't mind). Size was pretty decent.

Cheese - your choice of American, blue cheese, or cheddar (I had the cheddar, and the cheese was too thin).

Steak fries were decent, and so was the potato salad (don't get the cole slaw if you like creamy slaw).

Cost - 275 plus 10% service plus 7% VAT, and 70 baht for a can of Diet Coke.

Taste - not bad. But probably would put this under Triple Os and Burger King. If I wanted marinated meat, I'd order meat loaf.

Value - not bad either, but I would still call that an expensive burger. The fast food joints (Mos, Burger King, and McDonalds) are still better, but I would place this above Triple Os in value.

BTW, they also have a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich, gotta try that next time, as well as award-winning chili without beans, also something I will try on my next visit - but the smoked beef brisket still stands out as their best dish in my opinion.

Also had a chopped steak meal at Sizzler yesterday - again marinated, again onion soup, but not awful - and the taste was actually pretty good, ranking just after Triple Os and Burger King. This is of course assuming that the burgers are using the same meat... for 169 baht not bad at all, especially when you throw in the cheese toast and their new expanded salad bar (which just added clam chowder - excellent).

Edited by onethailand

On-On, when was the last time you had a burger at Woodstock?

... oops, just noticed the house burger has stuff mixed in as well. Don't they have a plain 100% pure beef burger?

I dunno, I should go back and ask. The owner seemed like a really nice guy and I'm sure he'd stop to chew the fat over the topic (I gather people on Thai Visa know him personally, but I don't).
Oh and btw, on-on, I was already looking up domain names for the burger site last week... pity BBQ.com wasn't available (Bangkok Burger Quest)
Heh.

I had Triple O's over the weekend and it was pretty good. I'd definitely go back again. I don't have a frame of reference for how it rates against the Canadian version and it definitely follows a less traditional style with the custom bun and the special sauce, but it's tasty. Also, I know everyone has a different opinion on fries, but those fat fries that they serve at Triple-Os are my favorite and theirs are quite good. To the guy who mentioned Hu'u bar, I'll have to try that out. They have a steak night on Wednesday (I believe) that's a really good value. Not the world's best steak or anything, but it's an absurdly cheap loss leader to get people in the door that ends up being worth more than the money you pay.

As for the guy who asked earlier, "Why?" I'd ask, "Why not?" I certainly never asked Thai people back home what they were doing in Thai restaurants because it seemed kind of obvious to me, but to each his own.

I dunno, I should go back and ask. The owner seemed like a really nice guy and I'm sure he'd stop to chew the fat over the topic (I gather people on Thai Visa know him personally, but I don't).

Actually, if I recall correctly, there is one on the menu. But haven't been yet as the trip to Samitivej on Saturday was canceled (Dr out of town) and rescheduled for tomorrow, but maybe that'll be my wife's job as it is on a weekday.

I had Triple O's over the weekend and it was pretty good. I'd definitely go back again. I don't have a frame of reference for how it rates against the Canadian version and it definitely follows a less traditional style with the custom bun and the special sauce, but it's tasty. Also, I know everyone has a different opinion on fries, but those fat fries that they serve at Triple-Os are my favorite and theirs are quite good.

If only they would put more meat in their burger, I'd probably be a happy camper. I actually don't mind paying a bit more for a burger that suits my taste. But I'd be surprised if there was any more than 3 ounces of beef in the burger - if that. Gotta be a bare minimum of a quarter pound for me to really be satisfied.

Still a lot of places to try - Big Mango, Nana Hotel, Bully's, H'uu, Bull's Head (actually may be next on my list as it's convenient). If I don't find a burger I like, I will be sorely tempted to do it myself if I can find a decent location (as I did with my coffee and Internet cafe, sadly people are less picky about coffee, but they did like my 4MB internet! - still not worth the rent at the location though).

Funnily enough I actually did try once many years ago - in Pattaya off a cart. A few people looked at me funny, but the instant I put a burger on the grill, the lines started forming :o Sadly, that venture went bust when the girl I hired sold a fried egg sandwich at cost to a Thai guy, and I blew my top, revved the throttle on my scooter, and went straight into someone else's parked bike...

BTW, one thing I forgot to mention - Roadhouse has free wifi, always a plus in my book. In CentralWorld Mos and Triple O's were both in True (or KSC/Starbucks) wifi range as well, but the Garage was not (and you can't connect to theirs).

It is also online...haven't tried them out yet, but seems decent. A properly made Philly Cheese Steak would go down well :D

I love the burgers at the Nana Hotel!

Big, Juicy served with lettuce tomatoes onions and french fries all for about 100 baht!

Shortly after eating a Nana Hotel burger five years ago, I got a really bad case of Bangkok Belly. :D

I suspect the mayo was the culprit as it looked as if it had been left out for a while--in all fairness it was my own darn fault for not following my instincts and asking for fresh product. Haven't eaten there since, but now that you mention it, I'll have to take a stroll on over again sometime. :o

I enjoy the burgers and Philly Cheese Steak at Roadhouse. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Ari area, (BTS Ari stop).

I am from America, and believe me, I can cook myself the BEST burger. But, if I have to go out to get one,

this is where I go, The Villa Market Complex (Ari BTS), 2nd floor, a place called "Grill and Gravy".

Great bun (right size), Australian beef (cooked to order), fries, and all the condiments necessary. For 220 Baht. Walk away FULL.

I tried the Greyhound downstairs, no ****ing way I will ever do that bullsh** burger again. Good Luck.

Joey Roman from Brooklyn, NYC.

Will try Greyhound as well, as I pass through Emporium nearly every day. Strangely enough I ignored the burgers the last two visits, even though a burger is normally one of the first things I would go for.

MOS is pretty good for fast food, I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

LOL Brooklyn... you should join up on the pizza thread and start a bagels thread... people don't understand why the water in New York makes such a difference in the preparation :D

Seriously - if I had a place to grill in my condo, I'd be eating burgers and steaks almost every day.

My daughter went to the Garage the other day - turns out it's her friend's parent's place - and she said she liked the burger. I told her she hasn't tried enough burgers to know what good is... :o

LOL Brooklyn... you should join up on the pizza thread and start a bagels thread... people don't understand why the water in New York makes such a difference in the preparation :D

Seriously - if I had a place to grill in my condo, I'd be eating burgers and steaks almost every day.

My daughter went to the Garage the other day - turns out it's her friend's parent's place - and she said she liked the burger. I told her she hasn't tried enough burgers to know what good is... :o

Funny, onethailand!! Get grilling and teach your daughter a true homemade burger!! Thanks for the "shout out", brother!!

I just got outa my condo, and rented a private house, (starting Nov 1st) Ari area with my Thai fiancee,

complete with (for half the price of a 1 bedroom condo) 2 bedrooms, 3 baths, kitchen, living room,

front car park, and BEST OF ALL.....a backyard!!!

So, you know ###### well I will be grilling my narrow ass on the weekends!!! Burgers and beers!!!! YIPPEEEE!!!

Eat your heart Homer Simpson!! I will check the pizza thread for sure. I am a newbie here.....but I KNOW, since I am

half Italian and a native New Yorker, what pizza and/or bagels should be. Word up.

Funny, onethailand!! Get grilling and teach your daughter a true homemade burger!! Thanks for the "shout out", brother!!

I just got outa my condo, and rented a private house, (starting Nov 1st) Ari area with my Thai fiancee,

complete with (for half the price of a 1 bedroom condo) 2 bedrooms, 3 baths, kitchen, living room,

So, you know ###### well I will be grilling my narrow ass on the weekends!!! Burgers and beers!!!! YIPPEEEE!!!

Eat your heart Homer Simpson!! I will check the pizza thread for sure. I am a newbie here.....but I KNOW, since I am

half Italian and a native New Yorker, what pizza and/or bagels should be. Word up.

Good job man... I'd kill to find a good house at a reasonable price. The very first thing I would buy is a BBQ...

For the record, I'm a Jersey boy... but ain't never going back there again after the last trip. The entire coast has turned into a cesspool... but who cares when you can live in Thailand :o

Reasonable pizza can be had in town... but only frozen bagels, sheesh...

Good job man... I'd kill to find a good house at a reasonable price. The very first thing I would buy is a BBQ...

For the record, I'm a Jersey boy... but ain't never going back there again after the last trip. The entire coast has turned into a cesspool... but who cares when you can live in Thailand :o

Reasonable pizza can be had in town... but only frozen bagels, sheesh...

Frsh bagels at Au Bon Pain, ok, not east coast good, but ok

Frsh bagels at Au Bon Pain, ok, not east coast good, but ok

True.. but they barely qualify as bagels :o New York Deli too but both of these outfits have like 2-3 choices of plain bagels... maybe I'll go buy a couple from each and test them but for sure they can't touch east coast bagels with a 10-foot pole...

There used to be a place in the Emporium selling fresh bagels in the market... but they didn't last long, almost as if I was the only customer they had :D

ABP has about 10 different types of bagels, but back to burgers now, anyone brave enough to go back to Mike's Original on Silom?

Walked by last Thursday and saw only 2 Thai people in the place. Wonder how long before they close the doors??? What a shame..

I like the house burger at Soi 8 (thats the name of the bar and if I remember correctly it is on, um, er, ah, o-yeah;

Sukhumvit SOI 8). :o

Decent size burger; fresh bun, good fries, condiments on the side and not smothering it.

They have a Kiwi burger too (not sure what that is...........lamb and a pair of boots?)

I live in Ari area, (BTS Ari stop).

I am from America, and believe me, I can cook myself the BEST burger. But, if I have to go out to get one,

this is where I go, The Villa Market Complex (Ari BTS), 2nd floor, a place called "Grill and Gravy".

Great bun (right size), Australian beef (cooked to order), fries, and all the condiments necessary. For 220 Baht. WRONG!!! Walk away FULL.

I tried the Greyhound downstairs, no ****ing way I will ever do that bullsh** burger again. Good Luck.

Joey Roman from Brooklyn, NYC.

WHOAH.....edited version here.....I just (Oct. 9, '07) went to pick up a burger to go at Grill and Gravy

here at Soi Ari Villa Market.....and I forgot to mention,....the burger comes with 2 meaty

slices of lean bacon, tomato, lettuce, red onion, cheese, and a fried egg!!!. Side of homemade cole slaw,

steak fries.....all for 160 baht!!! No cheese, 150 baht. And a BIG BURGER.....this and a beer? FULL BELLY.

Edited by templedog

ABP has about 10 different types of bagels, but back to burgers now, anyone brave enough to go back to Mike's Original on Silom?

Walked by last Thursday and saw only 2 Thai people in the place. Wonder how long before they close the doors??? What a shame..

Just noticed in the "Western Food in Thailand" section (post #61) of Thaivisa that someone reported Mike's on Silom closed their doors and the windows are now papered over. RIP

• 3 weeks later...

Santa's Hamburgers in the middle of MBK Center. Been here many years, took over from Wendy's but the menu has significantly changed.

Had the Super Bacon Burger, 59 baht. As a set with fries and a small Pepsi, 99 baht.

It was at least a quarter-pounder, if not 1/3 of a pound. The beef is of average quality not dissimilar to McDs or BK. the bun was an egg bun, with a few slices of bacon (not crisp) and tons of veggies and sauce on the inside.

Taste - not bad at all - in the end I ordered another one. Does not hold a candle to Triple O on taste - on the other hand this is perhaps the best overall value for money burger I've found yet.

Worth a try.

• 2 months later...

A while back everybody was debating the best burger in BKK... well I think I've finally found it.

It's called Garage Burger and is located on the 7th floor of Central World (the big one near Siam), tucked away in a rather obscure alcove next to the fondue restaurant.

I've been to almost all the places discussed in the previous Best Burger thread and this one takes the cake. Thick, juicy, cooked to perfection. Cheesburger set at 210 baht.

Burger sets come with very good chips and excellent cole slaw. Also w/ lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, and carrots on the side you can add to taste.

Other pros--

-FREE tortilla chips and salsa and popcorn at every table

-outdoor balcony with nice view and bar

-buy 2 get one free draught Singha (90B/1)

-free refills on soft drinks

-wifi

-Playstation 2 is listed on the sign but I didn't see it

I am in no way affiliated with this establishment, but want to promote it because it didn't seem like it's doing that well, and I want to continue to go there for a long time. Must be b/c it's location sucks-- as mentioned above it is hidden away on the 7th floor and has absolutely no foot traffic in front of it.

Last time I ate at Garage Burger was at their Wireless Rd. outlet. After a couple of bites, I bit into a piece of metal that resembled a gear, probably from the meat grinder. I left a message for the manager to call me, since he was out, but no one ever called. I like their burgers, but I can't patronize or recommend a place that is not responsible for such a huge mistake. Good burgers but chew carefully before you swallow!!!

The Garage Burger I saw at Wireless Road was rather vacant as well, if I remember. I think besides location, it might have to do with the fact that Thai people are just not as familiar with it as McD's and Burger King (which does great business in a similar location.) Furthermore, there's no marketing or attention-grabbing promotion that is crucial for attracting the fickle Thais (me included! :o) It's basically a farang-oriented joint.

And the location in the corner at CentralWorld 7th fl is pretty bad, if you're targetting farangs (which I've hardly seen in that area) and not doing anything to entice the many Thais that walk past with nary a glance.

Edited by siamesekitty

I stumbled upon this place a couple of weeks ago. When I went in for a late lunch it was 50-60% full with a mix of thai and westerners.

There were no freebies on the table but the burger and chips were delicious. Not quite up there with gourmet burger kitchen in the UK but the best I have had in Bkk for sure.

Larry's Dive and San Franz were tied for THE BEST veggie burgers in town for sure. Since both restaurants scrapped them from their menu (I must have been the only one ordering them) Garage is the new top champion in my opinion. At the Central World location I enjoy the car style seats, view from the balcony and the pickles on the burgers are great. The fries and free chips and salsa aren't half bad either.