Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to garage at central world and I got so dissapointed...they took million of years to bring the hamburgers (so much time that other custumer that was sitting next to us said ''check bill'' before she got the hamburgers, complained with the manager for a while, and then got out the place at once...) I went with 3 thai persons...I ordered a bacon hamburger, it was dry, tasteless and if I didnt read the name from the menu I wouldnt have known that that was supposed to be beacon...my partners ordered some pizza hamburger, which was horrible too, and some spicy meat with something that personaly after tasting it we all got to the conclusion that it smelled like ''sweaty ass''...the hamburgers are so expensive, the waitress was filipino so she couldnt even talk with my thai partners, and we left the place with a bad mood and wondering why we didnt go to Fuji to have some japanese food instead trying this place. I still think Mc donlads is the best option...

I ate at Garage Burger tonight with a Thai friend and we were disappointed also, mainly because of two things: (1) the burgers were too dry, they need to put mayonnaise on the bun and, (2) the price was far to high for two burgers, one soft drink and one water. 500 baht. We felt ripped off.

• 4 weeks later...

Having just met the owners of the Garage, I can report that the beef is fresh TF, with some flavorings (onions) mixed in. They are very pleasant people, however, and eager to know how they can improve.

One tip - if you're like me, and don't like seasoning in your burger, they do keep fresh ground beef and will make a burger like that if you ask for it first - something I intend to try on my next visit. Apparently the locals prefer the seasoning in the burger.

For mayo, surely they have it, all you probably had to do is ask. I know a lot of people who don't automatically want mayonnaise.

However, I am encouraged after meeting with the owners. Maybe this is a good time to make any suggestions, complaints, etc. and I will endeavour to pass these comments on.

I remember having the Outback burger and thinking it was nothing special - and way overpriced. That said, it wasn't a bad burger.

If you want best value at Garage, you have to order the double. Would've eaten there the other day but I knew the owners were present and that's not exactly the best time to test the system...

I wouldn't argue it's "the best" having not yet tried all the others. But I happened to stop by Bully's Pub on Suk Road near Soi 4 last night and wanted to try their hamburgers for the first time. The result was a pleasant, satisfying hamburger meal...certainly worth a shot.

They have about 4 burger choices on the menu, hamburger, cheeseburger, bacon-guacamole and chili...prices ranging from about 180 for the simple burger to more than 200 for the fancier ones. I tried the bacon -guacamole for 210 baht, I believe.

The meat was nice and thick, and well cooked, meaning done enough but not burned or zapped dry. And it tasted like beef, not any variety of seasonings/flavorings added elsewhere. The hamburger bun was soft, fresh and warm, but not soggy or dry. Two slices of good bacon and a dollop of guac. Slices of iceberg lettuce and tomato on the side, along with a small portion of pretty good fresh fries and a cup of pretty moist cole slaw (not a big favorite for me).

Next time, I'd probably also order a side of french fries for about 90 baht, since the portion that comes with the burger is pretty small. But all in all, it was a nice change from the paper thin, fried burgers at the fast food places. And no gummy sauces or additives that I could detect. Just a fresh, clean tasting burger.

The inside environment is pretty nice too, good air con with some booths for four and other tables in the center of the room, 4 or more large screen TVs with sports on, and a large bar menu of beers (though seemingly a bit higher priced than other comparable pubs).

All in all, I'd go back again to have another burger or try one of the other varieties available.

I thought Bully's was quite good too - MUCH better than White Spot!

I agree and have NOT had a better hamburger in Bangkok. A good hamburger is 100 percent beef and is not filled with rice and/or spices. If I want a spiced up sausage sandwich, I'll order sausage.

I agree and have NOT had a better hamburger in Bangkok. A good hamburger is 100 percent beef and is not filled with rice and/or spices. If I want a spiced up sausage sandwich, I'll order sausage.

My sentiments exactly. Now I have to go try Bully's...

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up at Garage today to pick up my daughter.

Went for the double cheeseburger (can't remember the exact name) - and asked them to use only fresh ground beef with no additives.

Now I can FINALLY say that this was the BEST - bar none - burger I've had in Thailand. Although it was a huge burger, impossible to get one's mouth around even without any of the usual condiments inside - I wanted another one badly, toyed with the idea of ordering one to go... then decided to try the Philly Cheesesteak sandwich instead. That was also quite good - but unusual in that it came in a round bun, not the usual long bun.

But the burger was outstanding - nothing tops that. Perfectly grilled, juicy (medum-rare) - great taste. I'm still smacking my lips 3 hours later...

Garage is Ok, but there are better burgers to be had in BKK

Had this discussion in this or another thread before. The first two Garage burgers I had were also ok - turns out they put in a few seasonings.

This time, I asked them to put NOTHING in. Just pure fresh ground Thai French. BIG difference.

Next visit I talk to them about the cole slaw.

If you should happen to run into the owners, they are very accommodating - but they admit that, at least in the Centralworld location, the majority of visitors are Thai and are used to having their burgers marinated or seasoned. However, you will have no difficulty communicating your preferences as they both speak perfect English :o

I still have to try Bully's, though.

That's why I've always maintained in these threads that people should state their nationality. There's no point in having the pi$$ing match about what country makes the better burger, but I would like to know the nationality of who thinks what place is good. We Texans, for example, don't generally go for the "gourmet," gastropub, fluffed up burgers that are made with onions or all kinds of special marinades and what not. So, if I see an Englishmen reccomending a "good burger" I know that it's likely to be some kind of take off on the gourmet pub burger and I'll simply move on to the next post. Same for English people who may not prefer our style of hamburgers - they wouldn't like my recommendation because there's no egg on top or no slaw or whatever crazy ingredient is considered good in the pub, heh.

Speaking of which, I just got back from Sydney and had the same dam_n problem there. Every burger place had some gimmick, like the burger isn't enough.

Since the last thread I've tried a few more burgers, but they're all either disappointing or bad. I'm sticking with my reccomendation of Outback for the best griddle fried burger in Bangkok. There is no good grilled burger that I'm aware of other than Burger King - and that's not really a burger, but it stacks up pretty well against the paltry competition here, heh, which is a sad commentary. Second choice for me is still White Spot, but I do look forward to trying the Garage joint. I don't get the love for Bully's burger. I do think it's okay, but it's not noteworthy. The bun and patty proportion is all wrong and the bun is generally dry. This is a common problem in pub burgers, the pattybun thing - it may be a common UK problem, I don't know. The patty should be roughly flat and should come out to the edge of the bun. The bun should not sit atop a rounded patty that is small enough that a large space exists all around the burger. It's a small mistake to describe, but it's a huge part of what makes a good burger.

I also stress that the reccomendations above are not really great burgers, just the best of what I can find so far. I'm still trying, though! If only we had a *real* Mike's (not to mention Miguel's) and not that half-a$$ed franchise that shut down after a couple of months on Silom. I have to fly to Chiang Mai to get decent Tex Mex or Burgers, really. New York Style Pizza has been a nice addition to Bangkok though.

Edited by on-on

Since the last thread I've tried a few more burgers, but they're all either disappointing or bad. I'm sticking with my reccomendation of Outback for the best griddle fried burger in Bangkok. There is no good grilled burger that I'm aware of other than Burger King - and that's not really a burger, but it stacks up pretty well against the paltry competition here, heh, which is a sad commentary. Second choice for me is still White Spot, but I do look forward to trying the Garage joint. I don't get the love for Bully's burger. I do think it's okay, but it's not noteworthy. The bun and patty proportion is all wrong and the bun is generally dry. This is a common problem in pub burgers, the pattybun thing - it may be a common UK problem, I don't know. The patty should be roughly flat and should come out to the edge of the bun. The bun should not sit atop a rounded patty that is small enough that a large space exists all around the burger. It's a small mistake to describe, but it's a huge part of what makes a good burger.

If and when you go to Garage - make sure you ask for beef with no additives. If you go at night to the Centralworld location, chances are you will meet the owner - and he will make sure you get what you ask for.

The funny thing was - I went to pick up my daughter but I had intended to try the burger anyhow to see if they were "round" - not this time. Perfectly flat but thick, and a perfect fit for the bun. Which was just as well because otherwise there was no way I was going to be able to eat that burger without a fork and knife.

BTW, it was grilled, not griddled.

Edited by onethailand

If and when you go to Garage - make sure you ask for beef with no additives. If you go at night to the Centralworld location, chances are you will meet the owner - and he will make sure you get what you ask for.

The funny thing was - I went to pick up my daughter but I had intended to try the burger anyhow to see if they were "round" - not this time. Perfectly flat but thick, and a perfect fit for the bun. Which was just as well because otherwise there was no way I was going to be able to eat that burger without a fork and knife.

BTW, it was grilled, not griddled.

Excellent! Thanks for the tips, I'm looking forward to it.

I went to Garage tonight at CWP and had the cheeseburger. I have to agree, this is the best I've had here in Bangkok - there's no doubt about it. The burger is shaped a tad funny (taller and smaller diameter than normal burgers), the presentation is a bit froofy and they're a tad stingy with the home cut fries/potato wedges/whatever your locality calls them, but the food is top notch and the service was good too. I'll definitely be back.

Got a pic of the burger with the crappy phonecam:

burger.jpg

Objects in lens may be less-blue than they appear when ordered in real life.

they're a tad stingy with the home cut fries

Unless you ate 3/4 of them before snapping the photo, they are more than a "tad" stingy with those fries. I count four. :o

That's before I ate anything, but it was probably about 6. Not a dealbreaker, just something they should do better at. They were cooked pretty well though and I like the concept. Homemade fries like that can be pretty good and a nice break from fries-from-a-bag. So, yeah, more than a tad stingy, but I still heartily recommend the burger. They even had our stupid yellow cheese that is sort of the hallmark of an American burger, heh.

Yes, I'd concur.... the presentation really is A LOT fru fru.... And...the portion of fries is A LOT stingy!!!!

For my personal taste, I like the wider, flater burger approach. I have the feeling you get a better taste that way, because more of the other ingredients can mix with the beef in your mouth. When it's a thick and small burger patty, it ends up being just a big bite of meat into your mouth, not to mention being finished in just a couple bites.

I'll stop by to give them a try, but the presentation doesn't exactly inspire great confidence... Based on looks, I'd still give Bully's burger the edge.

ok boys and girls,,,,,, im planning to open a burger joint in bkk everything done in house, brioche/ parm buns, fresh ground beef, im a chef from nyc so were gonna do it all in house, pickles, fries onion rings ect.... really simple stuff but very small menu beer , milkshakes,fries, onion rings, burgers a coupe of variations............ where would be the best location for this place...... its gonna be for us ie expats so any bright ideas???????

oh its gonna be the old school style joint what are you guys willing to pay for a good burger???? This will help us decide what quality beef to use OBVIOUSLY WE ARE GANNA USE TOP NOTCH BUT JUST HOW GOOD is the question thanks guys..

oh its gonna be the old school style joint what are you guys willing to pay for a good burger???? This will help us decide what quality beef to use OBVIOUSLY WE ARE GANNA USE TOP NOTCH BUT JUST HOW GOOD is the question thanks guys..

anywhere with bts/mrt access.

I'd say the pricing and sizes (of burgers, onion rings, and fries; but NOT softdrinks) at Mikes Silom were pretty fair...

The joint was just horribly managed with bad service, and they also tried to adapt too quickly to the "thai" market thinking that might increase their sagging sales; but the problem was not that and that's simply not what Mike's was known for. With good service, should've stuck to their good american quality/identity/food (as in Mikes CM), and then been patient in allowing their good reputation to spread.

Moreover, they also hired a horrible franchise consultant Ozzie dude with no credibility whatsoever in his loud boisterous salestalk, IMHO.

I used to go to Obriens a while back in Nana (not great, but okay). Stopped because 1) Raised prices significantly, and 2) became stingy with the fries.

Edited by junkofdavid2

burger.jpg

Wow! Looks great! The plate is so full! Not a square inch is empty!

Oh, wait... the lettuce, tomatoes, and even thin onion rings are spread out on the plate with a lot of effort in order to occupy the whole space.

They should've separated the buns from the burger too just to cover even more surface area!!! :o