Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

I went to Garage tonight at CWP and had the cheeseburger. I have to agree, this is the best I've had here in Bangkok - there's no doubt about it. The burger is shaped a tad funny (taller and smaller diameter than normal burgers), the presentation is a bit froofy and they're a tad stingy with the home cut fries/potato wedges/whatever your locality calls them, but the food is top notch and the service was good too. I'll definitely be back.

Got a pic of the burger with the crappy phonecam:

burger.jpg

Objects in lens may be less-blue than they appear when ordered in real life.

LOL.

I agree with what you said. But the burger is really what I wanted. I will talk to them again about cole slaw and the rest of the stuff... I actually don't care for the wedges because I like shoestring potatoes.

Maybe should go try the All Seasons location, apparently business is good there so perhaps they have more/fresher condiments and stuff there. The CWP one has lower traffic since the closure of the Major Cineplex.

junkofdavid2 - the onions weren't thin :o The tomatoes are a bit small but they are like steak tomatoes, which I prefer, rather than the sloppy tomatoes you get everywhere else. I believe they've done this for presentation, not to fill up the plate, because the burger is quite big to begin with.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'd concur.... the presentation really is A LOT fru fru.... And...the portion of fries is A LOT stingy!!!!

For my personal taste, I like the wider, flater burger approach. I have the feeling you get a better taste that way, because more of the other ingredients can mix with the beef in your mouth. When it's a thick and small burger patty, it ends up being just a big bite of meat into your mouth, not to mention being finished in just a couple bites.

I'll stop by to give them a try, but the presentation doesn't exactly inspire great confidence... Based on looks, I'd still give Bully's burger the edge.

I should have included something in the photo for scale, heh. The plate was huge, so the burger's not a Krytsal or White Castle burger or something.

I agree with you on the flatter burger, but for the size they're going for this one had ok proportions. If it were me, I'd do what you recommended. The thing that really made the burger for me, though, was the consistency of the beef, the flavoring and the flavor of the bun. I ordered it done medium and it came out browned on the outside and the edges and red in the middle, though not dripping blood. The edges of the patty came right out to the edges of the bun and it worked ok. It could easily be an inch shorter and wider in diameter and that is the one complaint I'd make about the burger.

I know someone mentioned the Great American Rib Company burger and I wanted to re-comment on that. I live near TGARC and I think they do fantastic food, their beef ribs (which I assume are relatively new) blew me away the other day. Their quesadillas are 100% authentic. I could go on. I've met the owners and they were nice enough to bring out a sampler platter when they found out I was from Texas, I was really impressed with everything I tried then and largely have been since. Unfortunately, every time I've tried their burger it's been overcooked and suffered from round patty/mismatched bun syndrome. I would love for it to be great because almost everything else they do is great, but for me it just never has been. I always say that it's an ok burger, but I underrate it because it's so disappointing compared to the rest of their menu. I've mentioned Bully's previously in the thread, and I know it's a matter of taste, but I rate their burger somewhere near TGARC's burger - not as good as it should be.

Since trying Garage after this newest thread, I have Garage (grilled), Outback (griddled) and White Spot (fast food griddled) for my personal preferences. Still none has quite the home cooked quality of a small town Texas burger, but they're each standouts in their own right based on what I like in a burger and based on the competition in Bangkok.

Just my $0.02 as a life-long Texan and burger eater. Others' mileage may vary.

Edited by on-on

That burger looks great, but seriously, they need larger side dishes. I'll still give it a try next time in the area, and I hope I get a few more fries than in that photo...
I'm considering the line, "Hey, can you substitute a couple of extra fries for all the frilly Goddamn carrot strips, cole slaw and other unnecessary items, krab?" I'm guessing "rabbit food" isn't going to pass the idiom test, heh.

On-on, when you went there, who served you?

Today I went again, really felt like a burger. Ordered the double again - medium rare, as usual.

It arrived looking decent - but one bite and it completely fell apart, almost raw on the inside. Told them to take it back, and they said they didn't have any more fresh beef - so I told them to just heat up what was still there - and when it came back it was well-done and tasted horrible - clearly not been put on a charcoal grill at all.

To the girl's credit, she did offer me something else, like burgers which had already been seasoned, or a Philly Cheese Steak instead (she obviously remembered what I ordered last time, and without a doubt probably remembered that I knew the owners).

I had told the owners last time that the burger was awesome - and it was - but I said "Let's see if it's the same when you're not around".

Sadly, it wasn't even close. I am definitely going to talk to the owners now because it's blatantly obvious to me that the kitchen does not operate properly when they aren't there. Service still friendly enough, but food terrible - another couple who had sat down after I did ordered - the lady ordered a hot dog, and got corn dogs with spaghetti.

To be honest, I would've been happy to have that myself, instead of the burger... but that wasn't what the lady wanted or ordered, but she ended up taking it because they were in a hurry. When they left - the plate was still nearly full.

BTW - about the onion - I asked them to cut me a slice of onion instead of a couple of rings - and they cut me two slices, so no complaints about that bit. Bit thick though and the ring on the outside probably should've been tossed because it was tough.

Going to have to try the All Seasons location now.

just ate at garage in cw, burger was ok,,,,tons of pepper in the meat mix,,, fries terrible soggy no crunch what so ever, milkshakes not their strong suit, blended with ice really sad

OUCH!!!!!

Soggy fries, ice in the milk shakes, raw-uncooked hamburgers, etc. etc.

You guys are rapidly talking me out of giving them a first try...

I can put up with a bit... But, I don't want to waste my eating out money on dog food!!!!

For a good, no frills burger, I suggest Chokchai Farms steak burger at Future Park Rangsit. It is a decently cooked burger for a franchise. i ordered the bacon cheeseburger medim rare. It came with grilled onions, fries and a drink for under 200 baht. The ice cream isn't that bad either. :o

For a good, no frills burger, I suggest Chokchai Farms steak burger at Future Park Rangsit. It is a decently cooked burger for a franchise. i ordered the bacon cheeseburger medim rare. It came with grilled onions, fries and a drink for under 200 baht. The ice cream isn't that bad either. :o

Just read this thread from the start, I have eaten burgers all over the world, having spent 37 years in the Australian Navy and I have never had a better burger than the burger at the Landmark hotel, sitting outside next to Sukhumvit road. It comes with a large bowl of fries, a decent size bowl of coleslaw and can be ordered with mushrooms, swiss, cheddar and blue cheese, or all of them! I highly recommend the burger there! The view of the passing human parade is quite interesting too!

I am sorry to break this to you guys but the best burger will not be found in Bangkok. It is in Kanchaniburi!!!!! There is a little bar called the no name bar and the owner was a chef in UK for 7 years. He makes his own burgers and I have to say I was stunned by how good they were. I particularly loved the porkburger with cheese. Which was crispy on the outside and tender inside with a lovely aftertaste of herbs. The salad on it was fresh and crispy.

They are small but delicious and 60baht!!!!!!!!!!! A bargain.

The garage cheese burger at central was so so. Tried it a few days ago. I would give it a "good" but definitely nothing outstanding.
I went back and had one today and it was much more lackluster than the last one I had. I ordered medium and it came medium well to well done. The patty was much more round and tall than wide and the bun left about a centimeter around the edge all the way around because of it. Still not a bad burger, but much less appealing than the last one I had. I'll definitely have to downgrade Garage as it looks like they have QC issues. It's not like it's a bad burger, but apparently the kitchen staff don't have any consistency to them and it's a real roll of the dice whether you get a really good burger (for Thauland anyway) or just a run of the mill Thailand burger.

I'm still looking forward to the Landmark burger that someone recommended, but I haven't tried it yet.

I think the White Spot Triple 'O' has an excellent burger. The Breakfast set meal (sort of a bacon and egg burger is good too - my wife likes the chicken burger) I've eaten at the White Spot's in Canada (it's a Canadian chain), and frankly, I like the Bangkok version better! I will keep eating there when I go to Central World. Their coffee is good too. I enquired about the Western-restaurant-style drip-coffee maker (you don't see that often here in BKK) and the manager said the coffee is changed every 40 minutes - with a fresh brew - regardless of how much is left in the pot. Good stuff.

Guess I will have to give Bully's a try - but I'm not a real fan of eating in pubs..Sukhumvit pubs are usually overpriced and the wrong environment for a meal (pub grub is ok in small town england or ireland..but even in big cities there I wouldn't order a meal in a pub - too many other choices).

Edited by thaigene2

• 2 weeks later...
burger.jpg

Wow! Looks great! The plate is so full! Not a square inch is empty!

Oh, wait... the lettuce, tomatoes, and even thin onion rings are spread out on the plate with a lot of effort in order to occupy the whole space.

They should've separated the buns from the burger too just to cover even more surface area!!! :D

Just how often is this the case?? so close, but no cigar!!

I went to The Bulls Head on Sukhumvit 33/1 recently, :o the actual burger was very good but it was served in one of Tesco's tiny 'pack of six' sesame seed buns, the potato fries were also very nice.......all 4 of them!! A while later I went to Nana coffee shop/restaurant. The actual burger was OK, not as good as the Bull's head, but OK. The sesame seed bun was great and of a very good size, there was enough fresh salad on the side to place in my burger if I so wished, and a more than adequate portion of chips. Of the two, Nana gets my vote for value for money. :D I can't understand why The Bull's Head, and so many other places are so stingy on cheap ingredients. A good bun, double fries portion and more salad would make The Bull's Head Burger legendry rather than just ample.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried the MOS Burger outlet in the basement of Siam Paragon the other day... Came away impressed by their service, cleanliness and tasty french fries... But UNIMPRESSED with their hamburgers, if that's what to call them.

For the record, I ordered their "C" set of cheeseburger, french fries and drink for 119 baht, plus added a spicy burger for an extra 69 baht.

The service model was good... go to the counter, order your food and drinks, and then they give you a # tag to take to your table, so the staff can bring your food/drink there when it's ready. Drink arrived within 2-3 minutes... Food arrived maybe 5 minutes later. Everything easy and convenient.

But the burgers, both of them, were a big disappointment. For both, couldn't taste anything that vaguely resembled BEEF... Looked inside upon biting, and just found gray-colored stuff, slathered in a kind of spaghetti sauce. The "spicy" burger appeared to add only some cut chili peppers. Buns were smallish sized, normal fast good fare.

But the french fries were fresh, nicely cooked, not too thin or thick, and not excessively salted. They saved the meal... Also, mildly irked (though I've encountered it before) when I had to pay extra because I wanted my drink as iced tea or green tea, instead of the usual carbonated soft drink choices.

I might go back for the french fries, which are better than I've had from either Mickie D's or Burger King in BKK.... But for everything else... I'd say... PASS.....

Here below... is how the Mos Cheeseburger Combo arrived...

post-53787-1210574358_thumb.jpg

Here is how the Cheeseburger (enlarged) looks on their menu...

post-53787-1210574410_thumb.jpg

And here is their current menu...as of May 2008

post-53787-1210574440_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1210574453_thumb.jpg

Eaten at mos burger 2 times now, terrible, how anyone that has ever had a real burger could like this is beyond me, the meat tastes like a breakfast sausage patty.. no question about it, horrible, goes to show what the japanese know about burgers,

triple o at least tastes like carls jr or in and out, but for the price is a little high for using the standard fast food meat disc, the buns are very nice.. but at least it does not taste like sausage

havent managed to get a great burger in bkk yet other than making em at home, cant beat mesquite wood flavor off the grill

any great ones out there??

Bully's Pub on Suk Road near Soi 4 has about 4 offerings...pretty good...with good fries... The meat actually tastes like a hamburger... I can personally vouch...

The Landmark Hotel cafe nearby has been reported to have a good burger and fries...next on my list to try... Same good reports about the Nana Hotel coffee shop... but yet to get there for burger time!

Actually, I had been waiting to post on this, until I could go back again and focus on their burger... the last time I tried one, I was sorta focusing on a lady...

But... on Suk Soi 8, maybe 200 metres in, there's a popular night pub called Det Bar. But they're also open early in the morning and through the day for regular restaurant menu.

Last time there, I tried their hamburger, which as best as I recall was pretty good. Likewise on the fries... I'm pretty certain, in a surprise to me, it came with TWO pretty decent size beef patties, which tasted like beef... And the usual hamburger fixings... And some nicely cooked french fries... All in all... a satisfying meal.

Need to go back again, focus on the food, and update this post, including prices.

• 2 weeks later...

I made another burger outing the other day...and found myself in the Sukhumvit Soi 8 pub (very near to Nana BTS), which someone had mentioned here as having a good burger... So..I gave it a try...

My verdict... The regular hamburger/cheeseburger was OK in portion and preparation, but the beef taste/flavor was really lacking... once again, as has been the case in too many other places... The french fries, on the other hand, were very good, fresh and hot, and an ample portion...

Soi 8 pub has 3 or 4 burgers on offer, starting with the hamburger I ordered for 180 baht. I ordered hamburger, but it came with cheese anyway.... fresh lettuce, tomato and onion, as I recall... Bun was usual style... But the beef...just didn't taste like hamburger beef... more instead like a kind of meatloaf.... And it was cooked grey all the way thru, even though the burger was shaped to be thick... (they didn't ask...how I wanted it cooked....)

The photos here show the dish as originally prepared. They also had a couple other burgers on offer, including the previously mentioned Kiwi burger... I only saw the ingredient list, which included as I recall... Beet Root...and that was enough for me to take a pass on that...

post-53787-1211794848_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1211794857_thumb.jpg

So, not likely going back for the Soi 8 burger, though I'd take the fries anytime...

Need to re-try Det Bar and pay attention to the food this time!!!

Bully's Pub on Suk Road near Soi 4 has about 4 offerings...pretty good...with good fries... The meat actually tastes like a hamburger... I can personally vouch...

The Landmark Hotel cafe nearby has been reported to have a good burger and fries...next on my list to try... Same good reports about the Nana Hotel coffee shop... but yet to get there for burger time!

I highly recommend the burger at the Landmark, quite possibly the best burger I've had anywhere in the world, I've been there several times and taken friends there just to try the hamburger! On each occasion the quality has been repeated, the burger comes with your choice of swiss/cheddar/blue cheese, mushrooms, bacon and onion, it is served with a large basket of fries and a side dish of coleslaw. It is not cheap (320 baht if memory serves), but it is delicious when eaten accompanied by a couple of frosty cold beers. All that have tried it have returned for more.

I highly recommend the burger at the Landmark, quite possibly the best burger I've had anywhere in the world,

Is this the bakery and ice cream place just inside the glass front doors of the section in front of Asia Books?

The best burger "in the world" might be worth over 300 baht! :o

But, if I have to go out to get one,

this is where I go, The Villa Market Complex (Ari BTS), 2nd floor, a place called "Grill and Gravy".

I really like the Grill and Gravy as well. I haven't had their burgers yet but I've definitely been impressed by other items on the menu. Affordable, clean, nice restaurant. Definitely recommended.

I highly recommend the burger at the Landmark, quite possibly the best burger I've had anywhere in the world,

Is this the bakery and ice cream place just inside the glass front doors of the section in front of Asia Books?

I would think he meant the pub downstairs at the Landmark.

I would think he meant the pub downstairs at the Landmark.

Actually, I believe we're talking about the upstairs (first floor) cafe...where you can sit outside on the patio and watch the life of Sukhumvit Road go by... just inside is the bakery and ice cream location.

The Huntsman Pub downstairs is a separate operation with its own menu.

• 1 month later...

I tried a Cheeseburger at Garage Central World tonight. The bun was hard, beef pattie watery and it was cooked unevenly. Despite the tomato being good quality, overall it was a very average burger and I would not recommend. Tony Roma's does a much better burger for a tad more money.