Best Burgers In Bangkok

Spaniel

I wish that he would tell us which one! :o

Sorry, the one upstairs next to the street outside the ice cream shop / bakery is the one to which I am referring, I will be going there as soon as I arrive back in Bangkok on 23rd for my fix!!!

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish that he would tell us which one! :D

Sorry, the one upstairs next to the street outside the ice cream shop / bakery is the one to which I am referring, I will be going there as soon as I arrive back in Bangkok on 23rd for my fix!!!

Someone claimed that a Burger and Coke are 500 baht. I'm not sure that I'm willing to pay $16 for any burger. :o

actually, one of the very best burgers in bangkok is not in bangkok at all, but approximately 20-30 minutes north of the big city innonthaburi at a place called bbq sandwich <snip>. it's a true, classic, american-style burger, called the metro burger, and it simply rocks! but don't take my word for it. venture out there and try it yourself. you simply don't know what you're missing.

Edited by raro
URL removed

actually, one of the very best burgers in bangkok is not in bangkok at all, but approximately 20-30 minutes north of the big city in nonthaburi at a place called bbq sandwich king: www.bbqsandwichking.co.th. it's a true, classic, american-style burger, called the metro burger, and it simply rocks! but don't take my word for it. venture out there and try it yourself. you simply don't know what you're missing.

Looks good, but is it worth the drive? Run by another Texan transplant. Is it any better than Bob's BBQ in Pattaya?

Are you referring to the new Dairy Queen location in Siam Square? IIRC it got a review in the Bangkok Post last week.

Haven't read the BKK Post review...and really don't want or care to know what they said... But... based on some positive comments here on TV, I went for a burger trip Saturday evening at the new Dairy Queen shop at Siam Center.

Had the spicy burger (fire-something) combo for 139 baht, that includes the cheeseburger with slices of bacon and jalapeno peppers, french fries and a refillable soda (or bottle of water).

Must say, I wasn't overly impressed. The french fries, served at 9 pm, were a modest portion, cooked ok but had a bit of an aftertaste, maybe from old cooking oil.

The burger, clearly not freshly cooked, wasn't too bad. But it suffered from Thailand hamburger-itis... that being... tasteless beef, although the patty size was pretty decent and well shaped... large enough around and about one-quarter inch thick.

By comparison, I'd argue Burger King's burger selections are at least as good, and IMHO, better tasting... But everyone has their own opinions about such things....

Here are some photos of the actual offering on hand at DQ...

post-53787-1215883724_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1215883655_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1215883581_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1215883677_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to get by and try John's burger.

In the mean time, I hadn't seen his updates and was at Garage hoping to get lucky. My first visit proves to have been a bit of a red herring in terms of quality. Since then, they've mostly been mediocre, though the proportions on tonight's burger were just stupid. There's no other way to say it. It was like eating a meatball on a bun. I took a picture as a sort of bookend to my first picture. I was courteous and tipped the waitress and didn't complain because it's hardly her fault, but I hope the Garage guys get wind of these threads once in a while. Their quality is all over the map.

Tonight's Burger:

post-23028-1215893845_thumb.jpg

In the mean time, I hadn't seen his updates and was at Garage hoping to get lucky. My first visit proves to have been a bit of a red herring in terms of quality. Since then, they've mostly been mediocre, though the proportions on tonight's burger were just stupid. There's no other way to say it. It was like eating a meatball on a bun. I took a picture as a sort of bookend to my first picture. I was courteous and tipped the waitress and didn't complain because it's hardly her fault, but I hope the Garage guys get wind of these threads once in a while. Their quality is all over the map.

Tonight's Burger:

Hi on-on,

yYour picture shows that they are using pre sliced processed cheese .... no further comment necessary

Today we are closed. But yesterday I was delighted when a few people from the forum turned up at the Bistro to eat, one person for the second time within one week who lives on the other side of BKK. I also think when people start ordering take-away's while eating its a good sign that they are enjoying what's on their plate and we have this happening a lot. A chap came in yesterday - ordered the ribbs - than ordered two portions of 1/2 pork knuckles (he's had on a previous visit) and a burger as take-away

-

I'm probably my own harshest critic when it comes to my own food since this is more to me than just a business, its a passion. I had my own burger for lunch yesterday and eating it with a very critical mind, texture as well as flavor are perfect and they are juicy as well.

We now count a number of Americans to our regulars who are used to a much better selection of Burgers in the States (I'm not talking Mc or BK) and the fact that they are now regulars says it all.

I must say that I would much rather make my own chunky chips (skin on) with my burgers or use the chunky ones available at Villa, but I did this for one week and peoples comments were "haven't you got the smaller chips" so I reverted back to McCains which are still miles better than the stuff used by the large chains.

Today I shall finally have the time to take a picture later on,

John

... prepare it fresh in the morning for lunch ...

As a lover of steak tartare, all I can say is eeeeoooo, that's nasty.

Hi,

I think you missunderstood this, it will be prepared (put through the mincer) just before eating - all condiments will be prepared in the morning such as onions capers etc..and added at the table - the timing is important so, whoever wants to join in has to book in advance and make sure to be there lets say by 12:30 and we start at 1pm - freshnes is of the admost importance!

OK, lets see and set a date for Saturday the 26th of July arrival 12:30 pm start 1:00 pm- bookings need to be in by Wednesday the 23rd of July Time -

John

buger king beets dq buutt in the burger offerings! and the nana plaza lady beets em both!

the bun dq is equally horrible,. lettuce is ok.....lol.

What's the deal/particulars with the Nana lady you mention???

I live in the area...and go by there occasionally... But I've never seen or thought about burgers there... only fish, squid, gai, moo, etc etc...

What's she offer, how much does it cost, what's good or bad about it, and when/hours is she there???

Thanks!!!!

Hi on-on,

yYour picture shows that they are using pre sliced processed cheese .... no further comment necessary

Hey, we are talking burgers here, not fine French cuisine. Processed cheese melts better. :D

hmmm Ulysses .... I believe that even if making something like a simple Burger that the best ingredients make a better Burger :D and real cheese like Emmental or a good med Gouda does enhance the flavor and not just stick to the roof of your mouth :D

This applies to any food I think ... tomorrow I have to make a lot of Ceasar salad dressing for a customer and only EV Olive oil wll do as well as imported anchovies and Parmesano Regiano.. the customer got a bit of a shock when I named the price but if I make the stuff I make it right .. I did not ask why they are not making it themselfs :o

John

I don't think she starts cooking until around 9pm.

The burgers are very good but I've usually had several beers by the time I'm eating mine, so that might cloud my judgement.

I usually have a cheese or bacon burger and pay 80 baht.

She is definately worth a try if you are in the area.

Also, don't forget to try the bugers at the new Mango Bar in sio 4. They are in the small sub soi opposite 7/11, open from 10am.

I believe that even if making something like a simple Burger that the best ingredients make a better Burger :D and real cheese like Emmental or a good med Gouda does enhance the flavor and not just stick to the roof of your mouth :D

This applies to any food I think ... tomorrow I have to make a lot of Ceasar salad dressing for a customer and only EV Olive oil wll do as well as imported anchovies and Parmesano Regiano.. the customer got a bit of a shock when I named the price but if I make the stuff I make it right .. I did not ask why they are not making it themselfs :o

John

Yeah, that Emmental on your burgers, John, is the bomb. :D It's the best cheese I've ever had on a burger.

BTW - made a caesar salad with that Italian dinner, for which I bought all the sausage. My guests were blown away by the regiano. I think they thought parmesan comes from a big green can called Kraft. :D

Hi on-on,

Hey, we are talking burgers here, not fine French cuisine. Processed cheese melts better. :o

hmmm Ulysses .... I believe that even if making something like a simple Burger that the best ingredients make a better Burger :D and real cheese like Emmental or a good med Gouda does enhance the flavor and not just stick to the roof of your mouth :D

If I was making a "gourmet" burger for myself and a female friend, I might use very expensive beef and an expensive cheese and mushrooms, but if the whole family were coming over for a cookout, I would probably just use decent ground beef and processed cheese. I enjoy both types of burgers in different settings, but if I had a restauraunt, I admit, I would go for the higher quality. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.

btw. The other week I was up at Central Lad Prao. Down in the basement is a upscale food court. At the Pizza outlet I had one of the best Caesar Salad I have had in Bangkok.

Wish they would open in Seacon. The pizza wasn't bad either.

Tonight's Burger:

I'll make sure they see the posts the next time I meet them. I don't think they would be happy with that burger either.

I haven't tried them... but the burgers at the new Mango bar got panned pretty badly by another poster here.... Anyone else have experience with their offerings??? Hard to judge by just one opinion....

I had a burger at the new Mango Bar which is now down a small alley to the left on Suk Soi 4. I ordered the jalapeno and salsa burger. Not bad; I thought the meat was pretty good and the bun reasonably fresh. If I were to order a burger there again however I would try just the plain cheeseburger. The salsa they put on the one I ordered tasted like they had added a lot of sugar to it. Overall, I'd give it a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 but that's just my opinion. Some people might love it and others hate it. Food reviews are terribly subjective.

actually, one of the very best burgers in bangkok is not in bangkok at all, but approximately 20-30 minutes north of the big city in nonthaburi at a place called bbq sandwich king: <snip>. it's a true, classic, american-style burger, called the metro burger, and it simply rocks! but don't take my word for it. venture out there and try it yourself. you simply don't know what you're missing.

Looks good, but is it worth the drive? Run by another Texan transplant. Is it any better than Bob's BBQ in Pattaya?

well worth the drive. but how can you take it from a complete stranger in an online forum? just get up a little gumption and go for it. you won't be disappointed.

Edited by raro
URL removed

Hi,

I had a business lunch meating in a pub near Silom today. Since the waitress when asked what she could recommend suggested sandwiches (not exactly a confidence booster) all 3 of us decided to go for the Cheese Burger (my friends are from the US) - looking at the price tag of I think it was B 290.00 each I figured "well at that price they should be great" and here is what arrived at the table:

Cheese-Burgers with processed Cheese - 2 shot glasses, one with cole-slaw and the other with some sauce for the fries - I mean tiny shot glasses the cole-slaw was not even a fork full

The Burgers had no salt .. nada ... none what so ever ... and the first bite was rather unpleasant especially since the meat was obviously prepared in a normal kitchen machine instead of a prof. mincer/ grinder the thing had an unpleasant texture to it, sort of stringy and was very "loose" - no bite at all - so even adding salt well I couldn't finish it and neither could my friends.

The fries were Ok though :o

John

John, if you're going to pan someplace, you ought to say WHAT place you're talking about...

That way, others can agree, disagree or at least know.... There's quite a few pubs near Silom....

hmmmm, it was ment more as a general statement that high price does not mean quality .. since I have an (if small) eatery myself and am in the business I feel that it would be in a way unethical to name/shame a particular place - however, if the newss were positive I would have no problem naming the place - example the carpchio at Le Opera :o - its been a while but always was excellent as was their wild mushroom risotto

John

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the place that used to be Delaney's (sorry to out you there if I did). I've had the burger there a few times when I lived in the area and they're the only place I know of that serves the condiments in shot glasses like that. Since I've rated their burgers in other threads before, I don't mind saying that they're pretty bland and suffer from some of the common Euroburger afflictions (non-standard variations in toppings, bun-to-patty ratio, oddball seasoning of meat, etc). While it is expensive, some of their other food is (or at least was, haven't had it in months) quite good, though - the beef stew is excellent and the buffets can be great - and the staff, especially the head bartender, are the best pub staff in town as far as I'm concerned. However all that's niether here nor there in a burger-specific thread and their burger goes on the pile with most other burgers at farang pubs and restaurants in Bangkok: overpriced, mediocre and not really true in either taste or composition to what a burger is back in The States (though if you're looking for a European-style pub burger you might like it, I wouldn't be qualified to say due to my taste bias in the area).

Since I've just spilled out a Euroburger diatribe within a conversation involving John, I guess I should say that the reason John's burger sounds interesting is that (in spite of the troublesome cheese debate) he nailed the charcoal requirement (though there are two acceptable varieites, I'm partial to charcoal as well) and it sounds like he's on the ball about seasonings, being a chef and what have you. I'm looking forward to trying it and reporting back with my crappy phonecam pics.