Opinions On Moving To Philipines Wanted

stevenjm

Cebu would be the only place I would suggest. It's easier than Thailand in a lot of ways. The biggest detriment about going to Philippines that I've heard would be the thieves. It's worse than Thailand from what I've heard. On the street, house robbers in the night, etc.

I lived and worked in the Philippines for two years 2000-2002, transferring from Thailand at the time. The following applies to the Manila area:

Philippine pluses:

1. English widely spoken.

2. Generally friendly population.

3. Farang food widely available and not too expensive.

Philippine Negatives

1. Atrocious native cuisine. What they do to rice would be a crime in Thailand and most other Asian countries.

2. Crime rate much higher across the board compared to Thailand.

3. Poorer infrastructure in most areas.

4. Poorer country, yet you pay more for the equivalent quality compared to Thailand.

5. Goods and produce in markets would be reject quality in Thailand.

I enjoyed my time there, but I was on an expat package and it would have been nice on that package anywhere.

Cebu is nicer, but I have only been there twice for limited periods so cannot speak to that.

There is a living in Cebu website, check it out. I have only visited once and it would have to be the Cebu City area, hands down. The food is a step down for sure and crime is a bigger issue. Not my first choice, but ...

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for the replies guys.

There is a living in Cebu website, check it out. I have only visited once and it would have to be the Cebu City area, hands down. The food is a step down for sure and crime is a bigger issue. Not my first choice, but ...

already checked that site before but its not that comprehensive and leaves a lot of questions unanswered. Also I get the impression the guy has only lived there and the states, was more interested in opinions of people who have been around.

Also, have been around myself and am pretty streetwise so not really worried about crime. More interested if people are genuinely friendly, long term visa situation for under 50 and lifestyle in general. Shame about the food although the best mcfeast I have ever had was in manila :o

Hey,

Am thinking of moving to Philipines very soon. Have been a few times but only for short transit stays in Manilla. Anybody have any advice, opinion, etc on lifestyle, people, prices, long term visa's, nice coastal area? Thinking of Cebu.

Thanks.

yes - don't unless you really have to - I was going to write "the place sucks" but that is really too impolite.... for me it is one of the least desireable places in Asia.

the vast majority of people are really great, but that's where it ends - crime is rampant, petty (and not so petty theft) is a daily occurance, the first thing anyone who gets some money does, is to hire themselves a body guard - doesn't that tell you something? the food is appalling, corruption is everywhere, the infrastructure is a awful - try riding on a six lane highway that suddenly stops - and becomes a dirt road for the next 10 km because there was no money to finish it, and anyone who has an hint of education gets to hel_l out of the place.

I have been to the Philippines many tmes, lived there, was married to a Filipino, and now, would not think of going back... ever

but these are just my humble opinons

Hey,

Am thinking of moving to Philipines very soon. Have been a few times but only for short transit stays in Manilla. Anybody have any advice, opinion, etc on lifestyle, people, prices, long term visa's, nice coastal area? Thinking of Cebu.

Thanks.

yes - don't unless you really have to - I was going to write "the place sucks" but that is really too impolite.... for me it is one of the least desireable places in Asia.

the vast majority of people are really great, but that's where it ends - crime is rampant, petty (and not so petty theft) is a daily occurance, the first thing anyone who gets some money does, is to hire themselves a body guard - doesn't that tell you something? the food is appalling, corruption is everywhere, the infrastructure is a awful - try riding on a six lane highway that suddenly stops - and becomes a dirt road for the next 10 km because there was no money to finish it, and anyone who has an hint of education gets to hel_l out of the place.

I have been to the Philippines many tmes, lived there, was married to a Filipino, and now, would not think of going back... ever

but these are just my humble opinons

Thanks batami

So besides Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, China (and Philippines) whats your most desirable? I need somewhere new thats good. Long term stay for under 50.

The PI's and Thailand were at the top of my places to retire. Thailand won out because the medical care is better as well as a much better infrastructure. The electricity is more expensive in the PI's but it probably evens out as far as cost because it is off so much.The guards at the fast food places were unnerving because they all carried shotguns. They have many typhoons every year and last but not least is the "Ring of Fire". I think they are past due for a huge earthquake. Cebu is dirty and polluted and Manila was totally out of the question.

already checked that site before but its not that comprehensive and leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

??? There is a forum there, ask your questions, they will probably be answered.

Was going to but figured they would probably be biased because they live there. Also was looking at opinions from a living in los or elsewhere point of view to get a realistic gauge on things.

Thanks batami

So besides Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, China (and Philippines) whats your most desirable? I need somewhere new thats good. Long term stay for under 50.

I have spent past few years in and out of a lot of Asian countries, which is why I chose Thailand.

I lived in Singapore before I moved to Thailand - and while Singapore is clean, safe, very low crime, good medical care, excellent infrastructure, etc, etc, etc it is relatively more expensive (and becoming more so), it is highly predictable, tightly controlled, and - for me - as boring as anywhere can be.... and it is VERY small. But, for loing-ish stay under 50 consider it - you can get off the Island easily - but be warned, property is now very expensive in the central districts - and as a non Singaporean, you cannot own land or landed property (with certain and rare exceptions).

I would rule out China (I have visited around 15 cities and spent about 40 percent of my time there from 2002 to 2006 and could write a few pages on why). The short version is hygiene, cleanliness, lack of civility, corruption, lack of health care, language, culture, and generally it is not the safest of places (in many parts) for foreigners. Hong Kong is too expensive. So we bring down to a list to: Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia.

I know a number of posters here favor Malaysia as an option - maybe so, I have worked there also, and I do not like the racism and Islam-icisation of the place. Sahria (is that how you spell it) i.e. Islamic courts exist and I think the place will become increasingly more difficult to live in. Indonesia - too few facilities and a worse case version of Malaysia for me.

I do not know Laos and Cambodia well enough but all the implications are from posts here that they are too lacking in the basics.

So that leaves Vietnam. I have heard many good reports of Vietnam - but I have also been told by business and social acquaintances that it is as corrupt as Thailand, as racist as any SE Asian countries, but I do not speak from first hand knowledge ... up to you to find good info from someone else.

Which takes us full circle, to Thailand. Thailand has the infrastructure, access to reasonable health care and is not expensive, decent airports and air routes in and out, access to low cost air travel - believe me compared to Europe it is really is low cost . The people are generally really great; you have to accept a lot of things as they are and be careful (read get to know and avoid the scams etc). The country is big and incredibly interesting, and worth months of anyone’s time to explore. The visa situation is one which is the most challenging. Unlike many people here, I do not always see a victimization of the farang, I see it as a country whose Immigration system leaked like a sieve and was abused and manipulated by many people (maybe by more non farang than farang). So Immigration have been tidying up their act and in doing so have made some decisions which have been reasonable and some that have been very unreasonable.. but that is Immigration the world over (there are many other threads debating this so I won't start here) . Property legislation has been tightened - again, I suspect, a contributing factor has been the blatant abuse by some foreigners (do not just read Caucasian) as well as protecting Thai land from the $ driven exploitation by foreign interests (I can hear the scream going up from around TF but would prefer to debate that comment elsewhere , not now).

Are Thai's Xenophobic (fear or contempt of foreigners and strangers) - in places and in connection with certain aspects of life (land ownership being the prime example) yes - but so are other countries. Is the Thai corrupt - yes, but so are all the Asian countries with the exception of Singapore and so are a significant percentage of all of the places you might care to live or visit outside "the West" - and the West is not squeaky clean either.

I am here now, and I will give it my best shot. I do not have rose colored glasses and I do worry about my retirement visa; there are good things and less good things - but, on balance, if I am to live in Asia then Thailand (warts and all) is the best place for me. I try to keep my head down, integrate as best I can, get along with struggling to learn the language and write it, go along with my girlfriend to the temple, and hope for a peaceful life. Yes, I have a contingency plan (which does not include going back to the UK) in the event things get really pear shaped - but, contrary to much opinion on the forum, I think we are a long way from that. Then again 20 years is a long time and if you are going to retire, it isn’t for two or three years - this is a real fact of life....

Sorry, this has turned into a long monologue .. take it as its written, its one person’s opinion - others will have different opinions, you need to listen to them and balance the ideas and thoughts for yourself. Come back and tell us what you have decided...

Good luck

I for one certainly appreciated you taking the time to write that batami. Although no plans to move from Thailand(certainly not as yet unless visa issues), it is good to read anothers perspective on life here in comparison to other neighbouring countries, especially if so well written.

I for one certainly appreciated you taking the time to write that batami. Although no plans to move from Thailand(certainly not as yet unless visa issues), it is good to read anothers perspective on life here in comparison to other neighbouring countries, especially if so well written.

thank you -- and good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with all the points Batami made, and it really has nothing to do with me being biased as a Thai :D

Indonesia seems pleasant, and is certainly interesting culture-wise......but infrastructure-wise is still way behind Thailand.

Vietnam would be a good business investment prospect I suppose...but other than that? great for holiday destination and exploring....but long term if for other reason than wanting to capitalise on the growing economy..... hmmmm.....I guess I cant say....dont know the ins and outs of visa issue there compared to thailand to comment. but Id think you need to consider more than the visa issue (as long as the basic part where you are able to stay and work has been sorted).

good luck :o

and oi EEK!!! you cant leave!!!