A Little Test

RKASA

I was a bit skeptic about this test, but I have to say it clearly in all cases I test it give me the right answer....

For me, in basic I'm a lazy expert who likes to click and point, I did not replaced my "Redhat" keyboard for as long as I use Linux.... So keyboards are not my favorite tools....

Anyone who wants a Redhat keyboard, I egger to sell it is a all red keyboard with Black buttons, nothing showing any Microsoft logoś.... Sorry not going to sell, even if this keyboard is a fossil it is still working and belief it or not it is my favorite keyboard. For my second favorite keyboard I have to speak dirty, I love my Microsoft Desktop Elite set, okay the mouse went broke so replaced it with a MS Laser 6000 mouse...

If you ask me I not belief in Microsoft bad Linux good and Apple stylish .... they all make an operating system which is created by people with vision (Some more then others)

I think because I like to WIN$ type point click GUI, synaptic, KDE and a few other things that it picked PClinuxOS for me and thats what I use, so its pretty good. Never have to build any kind of package or worry about dependencies if you don't want to, or in my case can't really handle yet. :o

For me the choices were Fedora and then Suse. I currently use FC5, Ubuntu, and F7 (on a work computer).

Note F7 = Fedora 7. The 'core' has been dropped from the name because there is no longer a separation/distinction between the core and the extras... it's all one thing now, starting with F7.

A couple of questions in the survey seemed to weed out some distros. For instance, if one wants a development system and is comfortable downloading the tools (e.g. Ubuntu) or have them readily available on the CD/DVD (e.g. Fedora, Suse, etc).

The other question about whether I am willing to pay for my distro is probably used to "weed out" Red Hat.

I think a more relevant survey would ask about hardware support, perhaps going as far as asking for the exact hardware being used. Some things seem to be easier to setup in Ubuntu than in Fedora. But perhaps that is because Ubuntu seems to have better documentation. Other distros (e.g. Slackware or Debian) are not so friendly.

Anyhow, it is a simple Q&A tool to help guide the newbie to Linux. Experienced Linux users already know which distro they are comfortable with.

I had Linspire on a separate hard drive and gave up on it because it was SO slow. I went through the exercise and guess what it recommended? YES, Linspire. I had Linspire on a SATA drive before and thought just possibly there could have been some glitches somewhere. This time I put it on a regular IDE hard drive. Seagate 7,200 RPM forty GIG. It is just as slow this time. If that's the best Linux distro for me, then I give up. I wasted several hours fooling with it. I could have easily wasted that time doing something else foolish. :o

The second recommendation was Suse. I looked at the download and it was over two gig. It appears everyone just keeps adding junk and Linux runs slower and slower. It's beginning to look like too many cooks spoil the stew. As much as I like to hate Microsoft, my XP Pro smokes every Linus distro I have tried.

For anyone who installs Linspire or possibly another dist. I have a little tip. I had the jumper on the hard drive set to master. The setup looked to be normal but it wouldn't boot. I changed the jumper to cable select, re-installed Linspire and it works OK.