36th National Games Begin In Nakhon Si Thammarat

sbk

Excitement in the air as Games begin

[GAMES] There was a strong sense of excitement in the city yesterday as the locals began the countdown to the 36th National Games, the opening ceremony of which will be held today.

Published on September 15, 2007

Nakhon Si Thammarat, a province in the south of Thailand and about 800 kilometres from Bangkok, has been in the news for the past year because of the craze for Jatukam Ramathep amulets.

Hundreds of people come from around the country seeking the amulets they believe will bring fame and wealth to the wearer.

With the Games around the corner, however, it seems that Jatukam fever has been diluted by sports enthusiasm - at least for now.

The streets that previously teemed with amulet-seekers are now full of athletes and officials, while the Games' promotional boards and banners appear along with advertisements of various types of Jatukam that dominate both sides of the road.

People are eagerly waiting to see the opening ceremony, which will be shown live on Channel 11 from 6pm, following the promise that it will be as spectacular as, if not better than previous ones.

The organising committee has invested Bt15 million in the three-hour ceremony, featuring six events that include almost 4,000 performers.

Officials have said spectators will not go home disappointed, as event organiser Supaksorn, a household name in the country, will provide a great spectacle.

Security officials are leaving no stone unturned. Fans have to pass through bomb-detecting machines to enter the stadium.

The police meanwhile have launched a crackdown on fake amulets, which are rife in the province, in order to prevent athletes and officials from becoming victims.

The race for gold starts today with four titles on offer: two in taekwondo and one each in billiards and artistic gymnastics.

Kitinan Sanguansak

The Nation

How's the traffic? :o

How's the traffic? :o

There was just a little more traffic than usual yesterday but nothing to complain about, it was mostly around the Stadium.

I spent Saturday at the Takraw matches. That is really an exciting sport. Those guys actually fly, it's amazing, they are suspended in air. I had seen local guys playing around town before but this is something else.

then yesterday I spent the whole day at the ballroom dancing competition.

Competitors ranging from little kids to young adults.

It was awesome. The latin competition in the afternoon was just "wow".

My husband used to play takraw in school, could have gone quite far if he'd wanted to, IMO. But yeah, what an amazing sport. I love to show people back in the US a youtube video and hear their amazement :o