Flight OG269: At Least 88 Bodies Found At Phuket Airport Crash Site

george

Flight OG269: Almost 60 bodies found at Phuket airport

Higher death toll very likely after budget airplane carrying 128 crash landed. At least some 40 passengers injured

post-128-1189946461_thumb.jpg

This story is continued from here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=142793

PHUKET AIRPORT: -- About 60 dead bodies, many of them foreigners, have been retrieved from wreckage of a One-Two-Go plane at the Phuket airport. The budget airliner exploded and broke in two after it crashlanded and skidded off the runway and crashed into nearby walls on Sunday afternoon. Dozens more are feared dead.

Some reports put the death toll at about 80, but this has yet to be confirmed. The nationalities of those onboard are not immediately known, but Phuket is a highly popular destination for overseas tourists.

There were 74 Thais on the plane.

A 1126 telephone hotline has been created by the airline to provide immediate information about Flight OG 269.

A surviving Thai passenger said the plane "landed hard" and "bounced" and then skidded off the runway. Civil aviation official Chiasak Angkauwan said, "the airplane requested to land but due to the weather in Phuket -- strong wind and heavy rain -- maybe the pilot did not see the runway clearly."

"The plane then fell onto the runway and broke into two. It is expected that there will be a lot of casualties."

"We are rescuing people from the aircraft ... we know now there were 123 passengers and five crew," he told the news channel.

"We won't know what really happened until we get information from the black box."

The airliner services Bangkok-Phuket flights six times a week. The ill-fated airline left Don Muang airport at about 2.30pm.

Information now coming in said the plane, which was being used by local budget travel company, One-to-Go Airline, had 123 passengers and five crew.

The aircraft, flight number OG 269, approached the Phuket airport at about 3.40pm from Bangkok. Phuket had earlier been hit by heavy rains.

It crashed into trees and walls surrounding the airport.

Eye-witnesses said the impact of the crash caused the plane to break in two and they heard a series of explosions.

Rescue teams and navy personnel were involved in the rescue operation. All flights in and out of the Phuket airport have been cancelled.

An Irish tourist, identifying himself only as "John", said he was on board the flight. He and his friend survived with bruises all over their bodies.

"We sat on the 18th row. The weather was real bad and there were lots of unusual noises during the landing. Something was obviously wrong [during the landing]," he said. He and his friend escaped through the emergency door.

--The Nation 2007-09-16

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

List of passengers injured in Phuket Airport's plane crash

Sun, September 16, 2007 : Last updated 19:59 hours

List of passengers injured in the plane crash at Phuket Airport treated at Siriroj Phuket Hospital and Krungthep Phuket Hospital.

Bangkok Phuket Hospital (21)

1. Thais - 6

2. British - 7

3. Iranians - 3

4. Australians - 2

5. German - 1

6. Iranian - 1

7. Irish - 1

Phuket Hospital

- ICU

1. Likhit Liengpansakul - ICU

2. Parinwit Choosaeng - ICU

3. Chainarong maharae - ICU

4. Apichart Pata

5. Eric Nihlen (Sweden)

6. Christopher Marken (Sweden)

7. Nong Kaonual

8. Ladda Kaonual

9. Pratin Lienchamroon

10. Sara (unknown surname) (Netherland)

* Foreign names's correct spellings need to be updated.

nationmultimedia.com

Edited by george

Sky News in UK and BBC News 24 reporting 90% of 123 passengers dead. 8 british survivors.

Our condolences go out to all of those involved. Terrible news indeed.

Thai TV reporting 101 dead. Very sad.

Edit:

Very inconsistent number of deaths are being reported from the different sources.

Also, a Thai TV station also showed a horrific video of a plane burning from front to back - huge flames. I assumed it was this one, but it appeared to be at night time.

I won't post any more numbers as they are unreliable.

Edited by JetsetBkk

at least dumping fuel before an attempt to land in bad weather

Not correct. Airliners never dump fuel for this situation.

I know very little about big jets (or indeed any plankwings), but there are some pro jet jockeys on TV: What is the deal if you’re on approach and the gusts / crosswinds etc have increased to beyond the capacity of the a/c? What are you expected to do? Divert to alternate? Turn back? Chance it? What about fuel state? What about the met report before you departed – are they reliable in this part of the world

1. If winds exceed the limits for the aircraft the commander is given no choice but to hold until the weather passes / winds ease or divert to another airport.

2. The problem with windshear in the approach it can sudden although can be forecast for the general area however the intensity and timing of such occurences is not accurate in most places in the world. Semi Modern to modern aircraft have windshear detection systems that are more advanced than the standard GPWS installed in this particular aircraft. Hong Kong airport for example has a more accurate windshear monitoring system due to the severity of the windshear there and the local terrain. But even then it is not fool proof by any means.

3. We never chance it.

4. Fuel state should not have been an issue on this flight As local diversion options are numerous. The crew would have assessed the weather conditions beore departure to decide the fuel load taking into account all factors such as Weather enroute and destination, expected delays due traffic, max landing weight / Take off weight restrictions etc.

5. Aviation weather forecasts are as accurate as they can be anywhere in the world. With most of the forecast charts issued by london metrological centre for asia.

Edited by dekka007

Latest from the BBC ..about 10 minutes ago.....

Dozens killed in Thai plane crash

One-Two-Go Flight OG 269 was landing from Bangkok

At least 61 people have been killed in a plane crash at the Thai resort of Phuket, officials say.

The plane was carrying 123 passengers - a number of them foreigners - and several crew. It crashed as it was trying to land in stormy weather.

The exact number of casualties is not clear as dozens of people are still missing - but survivors are reported.

Flight OG 269, operated by budget airline One-Two-Go, was landing after a journey from the capital, Bangkok.

Phuket's governor said 61 people had been confirmed dead and another 40 were unaccounted for, after the plane skidded off the runway in strong winds and driving rain on Sunday.

About half the passengers are said to be foreigners.

Rescue operations are under way at the airport and doctors are being flown to Phuket to treat the injured.

Rescuers said the plane caught fire after crashing.

Civil aviation official Chiasak Angkauwan said: "The airplane asked to land but due to the weather in Phuket - strong wind and heavy rain - maybe the pilot did not see the runway clearly.

"The plane then fell onto the runway and broke into two."

One-Two-Go is owned by Orient Thai Airways..

SO SAD......

Most believed dead in Thai plane crash: report

BANGKOK: -- A budget Thai airliner carrying 123 passengers and several crew crashed on landing at the resort island of Phuket in driving rain on Sunday, killing as many as 90 percent of people on board, Phuket's deputy governor said.

"The casualties should be higher than 90 percent. I'm at the airport and the plane is still smoking," Vorapot Rajsima told Channel 9 television.

Chaisak Chai-arkad, a senior airport official in Bangkok, told Thai radio that the One-Two-Go flight from Bangkok had broken in two on impact. TV images showed a crumpled fuselage.

"The first part of the plane is dug into the ground. The tail section is stuck on the runway," he told Thai radio.

Amid confusion about the number of killed, Phuket's mayor, Anchalee Vanich Thepabutr, said that she had seen more than 50 bodies taken from the wreckage and moved to the terminal's cargo buildings.

However, Anchalee said 20 survivors had been taken to hospital.

The flight to the Andaman sea paradise isle, which was hit by the December 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, was known to be carrying foreign holiday-makers.

One radio station said seven foreign survivors were among those taken to nearby hospitals.

--Reuters 2007-09-16

VTSP 161030Z 29011KT 3000 -RA SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 25/24 Q1006 A2973

VTSP 161000Z 27009KT 3000 RA SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 25/24 Q1006 A2973

VTSP 160930Z 27008KT 3000 RA SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 23/22 Q1006 2972

VTSP 160900Z 27012KT 1000 RA SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 24/23 Q1006 2973

VTSP 160830Z 24012KT 4000 SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 26/24 Q1006 A2971 VCSH NW

VTSP 160800Z 27007KT 4000 SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 26/24 Q1006 A2972 VCSH N

VTSP NIL

VTSP 160700Z 33003KT 3000 -RA SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 25/24 Q1007 A2975

VTSP 160630Z 33004KT 3000 -RA SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 25/24 Q1007 A2976

Thats the ACTUAL weather conditions at the times around the accident. Basic plain language decode:

1000 GMT wind direction 270 deg 9 knots 3000 metres visibility in RAIN Lowest cloud 1500 ft temperature 25degrees

All in all that weather is WELL within the limits for the airplane and crew to make a safe landing. However it may be that a sudden thunderstorm cell became active at a very unfortunate time.

If we are talking about weather limits for the a/c crew an example aircraft would be wind of upto 35 kts crosswind visibility down to 550 meters in phuket and a cloud base of 0ft. So well within limits. Runway surface condition is not reported here but a major consideration with regard to surface water etc.

The weather strictly on those reports I would say there must have been additional factors to this accident. Very sad.

Edited by dekka007

Prayers and thoughts from Australia. We did that flight a few weeks ago (on Thai Airways). Phuket is so beautiful and our thoughts are with all the victims, families and everyone involved. Such a sad day for you guys :o

cnn reporting more than 100 dead titv still saying 65

channel 7 reporting 65 dead , and unnecessarily showing horrible and gruesome footage of rescue workers removing charred and blackened corpses from the plane , zooming in on the bodies as they are put on stretchers.

very very sad.

Edited by taxexile

VTSP 161030Z 29011KT 3000 -RA SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 25/24 Q1006 A2973

VTSP 161000Z 27009KT 3000 RA SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 25/24 Q1006 A2973

VTSP 160930Z 27008KT 3000 RA SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 23/22 Q1006 2972

VTSP 160900Z 27012KT 1000 RA SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 24/23 Q1006 2973

VTSP 160830Z 24012KT 4000 SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 26/24 Q1006 A2971 VCSH NW

VTSP 160800Z 27007KT 4000 SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 26/24 Q1006 A2972 VCSH N

VTSP NIL

VTSP 160700Z 33003KT 3000 -RA SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 25/24 Q1007 A2975

VTSP 160630Z 33004KT 3000 -RA SCT015 BKN110 BKN300 25/24 Q1007 A2976

Thats the ACTUAL weather conditions at the times around the accident. Basic plain language decode:

1000 GMT wind direction 270 deg 9 knots 3000 metres visibility in RAIN Lowest cloud 1500 ft temperature 25degrees

All in all that weather is WELL within the limits for the airplane and crew to make a safe landing. However it may be that a sudden thunderstorm cell became active at a very unfortunate time.

Basising the weather strictly on those reports I would say there must have been additional factors to this accident. Very sad.

There is always a likelihood of a wet "Microburst" (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microburst )

The weather condition seemed favourable.

There's an eerie similarity with American Airlines Flight 1420 (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_1420 )

Edited by Zoowatch

I know very little about big jets (or indeed any plankwings), but there are some pro jet jockeys on TV: What is the deal if you’re on approach and the gusts / crosswinds etc have increased to beyond the capacity of the a/c? What are you expected to do? Divert to alternate? Turn back? Chance it? What about fuel state? What about the met report before you departed – are they reliable in this part of the world

1. If winds exceed the limits for the aircraft the commander is given no choice but to hold until the weather passes / winds ease or divert to another airport.

2. The problem with windshear in the approach it can sudden although can be forecast for the general area however the intensity and timing of such occurences is not accurate in most places in the world. Semi Modern to modern aircraft have windshear detection systems that are more advanced than the standard GPWS installed in this particular aircraft. Hong Kong airport for example has a more accurate windshear monitoring system due to the severity of the windshear there and the local terrain. But even then it is not fool proof by any means.

3. We never chance it.

4. Fuel state should not have been an issue on this flight As local diversion options are numerous. The crew would have assessed the weather conditions beore departure to decide the fuel load taking into account all factors such as Weather enroute and destination, expected delays due traffic, max landing weight / Take off weight restrictions etc.

5. Aviation weather forecasts are as accurate as they can be anywhere in the world. With most of the forecast charts issued by london metrological centre for asia.

Thanks, Dekka.

What happens in your Scenario 1 if a fuel state problem develops due to the weather not clearing, or local alternates being as bad or worse?

As I mentioned I've been on some flights where the weather on landing scared me. I've just remembered that on one occasion into BKK I was sufficiently concerned to quietly ask the Chief Steward what was going on. It looked to me like weather in which nothing should be airborne at all. He said not to worry, since 'Thai Captains know all the tricks'. Those were his exact words. What's that all about?

He said not to worry, since 'Thai Captains know all the tricks'. Those were his exact words. What's that all about?

A badly phrased term that should be totally ignored. We dont do tricks.

What happens in your Scenario 1 if a fuel state problem develops due to the weather not clearing, or local alternates being as bad or worse?

I cannot comment directly on this airlines fuel policy or nominated diversion airports for phuket as I simply do not know. However the weather would have been checked enroute for several alternate airports with fuel required for each one calculated on the computerised flight plan for the crew. The chances of all diversions being out are very slim indeed and a flight such as this from Bangkok would probably have Bangkok nominated as one of the optional diversions where the weather is known on departure.

With this sort of weather ie thunderstorms they pass relatively quickly and it is usual to delay from 15-30 mins and then make an approach as the thunderstorm cells tend to move in the direction and speed of the 10,000 ft upper winds which can be upto 50kts. So they pass quickly.

Sky News in UK and BBC News 24 reporting 90% of 123 passengers dead. 8 british survivors.

Our condolences go out to all of those involved. Terrible news indeed.

Thai TV reporting 101 dead. Very sad.

Edit:

Very inconsistent number of deaths are being reported from the different sources.

Also, a Thai TV station also showed a horrific video of a plane burning from front to back - huge flames. I assumed it was this one, but it appeared to be at night time.

I won't post any more numbers as they are unreliable.

3. We never chance it.

3. Are you sure? Chance taking depends solely on the pilot(s) flying the plane, their experience levels and overall judgement. I think if one were to investigate, one might find that the experience levels of manyof 1-2-Gos pilots is seriously lacking and I, for one, would question the judgement and abilities of manyof their pilots.

4. True, fuel should not have been an issue. However, once past a certain level those diversion options go away fast. Orient Thai's fuel policies have not always been known to be the best and I for would would suspect that maybe their alternate fuel was not sufficient - IF - fuel was an issue.

Bottom line is that there is alot of second guessing as to what happened and why. That may not ever be known based on reporting capabilities and the disticnt possibilty of cover up.

Maybe it would be best that people just read the news and state FACTS if you must say anything at all.

A tragic event ...my condolences to family and friends ...this airline seems to have a history of poor landings...we flew o Chiang Mai once with 1 2 Go and the landing gear had to be repaired after the plane bounced several times on landing....on landing we hit so hard many of the overheads flew open and emptied the contents on passengers..it was a beautiful clear day with no wind...I guess it is possible to have conditions that we the passengers weren`t aware of but my opinion is it was pilot error .We were in Chiang Mai for a week and when we left I spoke to a Brit friend that worked for the airport and he told me that the plane we arrived on the week before was still grounded awaiting repairs from the damage caused by our landing.That landing was enough to convince me to find other airlines to fly with.When we were on board the aircon was malfunctioning and it was freezing in the ###### plane.People were huddled up and had magazines stuck in the window vents to keep a bit warmer.This airine is not one I will use in the future.Again my thought and prayers for the victims of this tragic event.