Flight OG269: At Least 88 Bodies Found At Phuket Airport Crash Site

george

Bottom line is that there is alot of second guessing as to what happened and why. That may not ever be known based on reporting capabilities and the disticnt possibilty of cover up.

Maybe it would be best that people just read the news and state FACTS if you must say anything at al

Information I posted was in response to questions asked on aviation from a member. The facts are not known apart from the weather conditions reported.

Pilot ability of course varies but all are governed by legal weather limits for the aircraft. Orient Thai fuel policies will be governed by the Thai CAD and if acceptable to the CAD should be safe. There is no reason fuel or lack of it on this route should be an issue.

As you say we will know eventually and should not second guess. I personally have always chosen not to fly with this particular airline as do a lot of my colleagues.

Edited by dekka007

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Death toll in Phuket plane crash rises

From the Phuket Gazette

PHUKET (Nation): Some 60 bodies have been retrieved from the wreckage of a One-Two-Go airplane from Bangkok that exploded and broke in two after it slid off the runway and crashed at Phuket International Airport this afternoon.

Some reports put the death toll at about 80, but this has yet to be confirmed. The nationalities of those on board are not yet known.

A surviving passenger said the plane “landed hard” and “bounced” and then skidded off the runway.

Civil aviation official Chiasak Angkauwan said, “The airplane asked to land but due to the weather in Phuket – strong wind and heavy rain – maybe the pilot did not see the runway clearly.

“The plane then fell onto the runway and broke into two,” he said.

“We are rescuing people from the aircraft… we know now there were 123 passengers and five crew.

“We won’t know what really happened until we hear the black box.”

The aircraft, flight number OG 269, was landing about 3:40pm when the it went into a slide and crashed into trees and walls surrounding the airport.

Eye-witnesses said the impact of the crash caused the plane to break in two and they heard a series of explosions.

Rescue teams and navy personnel rushed to the scene.

So far the passengers who have been rushed to hospital are:

1. Likhit Liengpansakul (ICU

2. Parinwit Choosaeng - ICU

3. Chainarong maharae - ICU

4. Apichart Pata

5. Eric Nileland

6. Cristopher Maken

7. Nong Kaonual

8. Ladda Kaonual

9. Pratin Lienchamroon

10. Sarah (surname unknown)

Dekka look at this - from BBC UK site.

<< The flight, en route from Bangkok, was approaching Phuket airport when the pilot asked to abort the landing, aviation official Chiasak Angkauwan told Thai television.

"The control tower allowed it but the aircraft fell to the runway and the body broke," he said. >>

Pilot *ASKED* / Control tower *ALLOWED*? What? Air Trafic Service surely does not have the authority to *allow* (or deny) anything like this. The Captain *INFORMS* ATC he is going around and they acknowledge. Right or not?

channel 7 reporting 65 dead , and unnecessarily showing horrible and gruesome footage of rescue workers removing charred and blackened corpses from the plane , zooming in on the bodies as they are put on stretchers.

very very sad.

I just saw that, too, which is when I stopped watching. Seriously out of order and noticed the news do this on a number of high-profile accidents in the past.

RIP all.

A tragic event ...my condolences to family and friends ...this airline seems to have a history of poor landings...we flew o Chiang Mai once with 1 2 Go and the landing gear had to be repaired after the plane bounced several times on landing....on landing we hit so hard many of the overheads flew open and emptied the contents on passengers..it was a beautiful clear day with no wind...I guess it is possible to have conditions that we the passengers weren`t aware of but my opinion is it was pilot error .We were in Chiang Mai for a week and when we left I spoke to a Brit friend that worked for the airport and he told me that the plane we arrived on the week before was still grounded awaiting repairs from the damage caused by our landing.That landing was enough to convince me to find other airlines to fly with.When we were on board the aircon was malfunctioning and it was freezing in the ###### plane.People were huddled up and had magazines stuck in the window vents to keep a bit warmer.This airine is not one I will use in the future.Again my thought and prayers for the victims of this tragic event.

lets not bash the airline just yet guys ,lets wait for some real answers ,cnn news men talking about a micro pocket or something ,where the weather one end of the runway is fine and the end is gusting ,a bit like raining this side of the road and not on the other side ..

i would think the pilot has to clear any manoever with atc (to make sure no other planes are in the vicinity) before going ahead.

another poster who lives near the end of the runway at phuket said that at time of the crash the rain had suddenly increased to a very heavy squall with powerful wind gusts.

<< The flight, en route from Bangkok, was approaching Phuket airport when the pilot asked to abort the landing, aviation official Chiasak Angkauwan told Thai television.

"The control tower allowed it but the aircraft fell to the runway and the body broke," he said. >>

Pilot *ASKED* / Control tower *ALLOWED*? What? Air Trafic Service surely does not have the authority to *allow* (or deny) anything like this. The Captain *INFORMS* ATC he is going around and they acknowledge. Right or not?

Total nonsense. ATC will never deny an aircraft go-around for any reason. They simply cannot. Secondly we dont ask permission for a missed approach - we TELL atc that is what we are doing. Some of the reporting i have read on this incident in the last hour or so is totally pathetic.

An Airport authority can close an airport due weather conditions but they will NEVER EVER deny a missed approach to any airplane for any reason - they cannot. I find it somewhat hard to believe the crew asked for permission - we dont do it.

i would think the pilot has to clear any manoever with atc (to make sure no other planes are in the vicinity) before going ahead.

Not actually correct. Each runway at an airport has a published missed approach procedure which is followed in the event of a go around. These procedures are to ensure that conflicts with other departing traffic / Arriving traffic and terrain are all clear. IE you can make a missed approach not talk to anyone (ie ATC) and by following the procedure you are safe from conflict.

Edited by dekka007

Comparisons will inevitably be made to the Thai Airway's Surat Thani tragedy a few years ago in similar circumstances. If the reports are correct that the pilot was trying to initiate a "go-around" then they are very similar indeed.

Certainly there are extreme weather conditions likely in tropical areas, just as there are risks to aircraft flying in very cold climates. With, it seems, two weather related accidents in Thailand in a short space of time should induce airlines flying here to look at their pilot's training for flying in bad weather.

Just reported on TITV that the pilot was Indonesian. No word on his level of experience. I wonder whether he was ex-air force like Thai's pilot at Surat Thani.

Just to comment again re the weather. I was in my hotel at the time which is 600 metres from the airport terminal. The weather was monsoon rain. But at the approximate landing time there was a very sudden 'squall', with very strong winds and dense, driving rain. If a plane was trying to land in that squall, my non-expert view is that it would not be able to land.

Simon

I have flown this airline into this airport before and was a bit alarmed how they rush everybody on and off the plane as they never manage to run on schedule.

When I first heard this report I thought it may be down to poor maintenance but now it looks like it was the weather to blame.

Whatever it was it has reinforced my hatred of flying (sober anyway).

R.I.P to all the dead, condolences to the loved ones.

:o

I did a full medical recently for updating pilots licence and there was a thai hiso who could not hear a thing in the hearing test room so they moved him to another room and amazingly passed because supposingly it is rude to fail them.

No wonder people die with thai pilots and staff. No wonder.

did a full medical recently for updating pilots licence and there was a thai hiso who could not hear a thing in the hearing test room so they moved him to another room and amazingly passed because supposingly it is rude to fail them.

i trust you reported this incident to the relevant authorities

66 bodies found at Phuket airport

Higher death toll very likely after budget airplane carrying 128 crashlanded. At least some 40 passengers injured. Phuket Airport temporarily closed.

PHUKET: -- Deputy Phuket Governor Worapot Rattasima said at least 66 bodies were retrieved from the aircraft. Earlier report said most of the victims were foreigners, have been retrieved from wreckage of a One-Two-Go plane at the Phuket airport. The budget airliner exploded and broke in two after it crashlanded and skidded off the runway and crashed into nearby walls on Sunday afternoon. More are feared dead.

Some reports put the death toll at about 80, but this has yet to be confirmed. The nationalities of those onboard are not immediately known, but Phuket is a highly popular destination for overseas tourists.

There were 74 Thais on the plane. It's the first local disaster involving low-cost airline following its profileration about four years ago.

A 1126 telephone hotline has been created by the airline to provide immediate information about Flight OG 269.

A surviving Thai passenger said the plane "landed hard" and "bounced" and then skidded off the runway. Civil aviation official Chiasak Angkauwan said, "the airplane requested to land but due to the weather in Phuket -- strong wind and heavy rain -- maybe the pilot did not see the runway clearly."

"The plane then fell onto the runway and broke into two. It is expected that there will be a lot of casualties."

"We are rescuing people from the aircraft ... we know now there were 123 passengers and five crew," he told the news channel.

"We won't know what really happened until we get information from the black box."

The airliner services Bangkok-Phuket flights six times a week. The ill-fated airline left Don Muang airport at about 2.30pm.

Information now coming in said the plane, which was being used by local budget travel company, One-to-Go Airline, had 123 passengers and five crew.

Officials said victims could have died on impact, or from suffocation and fire resulting from explosions. According to an initial account, the plane's fuselage was torn open when the aircraft crashed into an earth wall, and some of the survivors were those thrown out through the opening.

The aircraft, flight number OG 269, approached the Phuket airport at about 3.40pm from Bangkok. Phuket had earlier been hit by heavy rains.

It crashed into trees and walls surrounding the airport.

Eye-witnesses said the impact of the crash caused the plane to break in two and they heard a series of explosions.

Rescue teams and navy personnel were involved in the rescue operation. All flights in and out of the Phuket airport have been cancelled.

An Irish tourist, identifying himself only as "John", said he was on board the flight. He and his friend survived with bruises all over their bodies.

"We sat on the 18th row. The weather was real bad and there were lots of unusual noises during the landing. Something was obviously wrong [during the landing]," he said. He and his friend escaped through the emergency door.

Meanwhile Transportation Minister Thira Haochareon said Phuket International Airport was temporary closed after the crash.

Thira said the body of the aircraft hit the runway and was on fire fire while the pilot made an attempt to pull it off after failed a landing attempt, he said.

--The Nation 2007-09-16

Key features of MacDonnel Douglas MD82

Passenger capacity: 175 seats

Engine type: Pratt & Whitney JT 8D217 A/C

Aircraft speed: Faster than sound by 0.76 times; 430 miles per hour

Flight ceiling: 37,000 feet

Flight distance: 3,500 kilometres

Just to comment again re the weather. I was in my hotel at the time which is 600 metres from the airport terminal. The weather was monsoon rain. But at the approximate landing time there was a very sudden 'squall', with very strong winds and dense, driving rain. If a plane was trying to land in that squall, my non-expert view is that it would not be able to land.

Simon

I agree, I got caught in that squall and it came on very quickly and the winds were pretty horrendous for a few minutes and followed by a real heavy downpour. I was worried as a motorist let alone as someone in a plane that was trying to land.

did a full medical recently for updating pilots licence and there was a thai hiso who could not hear a thing in the hearing test room so they moved him to another room and amazingly passed because supposingly it is rude to fail them.

Actually the basic audiogram you are given is not that accurate due to background noise equipment tests etc. all pilots that are marginal are given an audiogram on more accurate equipment - its no big deal happens every day on class 1 medicals.

This is indeed a very sad day and my prayers to all the souls aboard that plane. catnip

the thai insurance company covering 1 to go says all passengers will be treated under the insurance ,no need to pay first ,everything will be taken care of ,just on titv

FWIW the pilot is reportedly Indonesian .

Time for all the Garuda and Indo bashers to emerge I guess.

I fly one2go often and even though a budget airline, they seem fine to me. As far as the old plane argument goes, they can fly virtually forever as long as engines and maintenance is done well. I'm sure the aviators on this forum will be along to post what they know of this, as well as pilot quality.

Total nonsense. ATC will never deny an aircraft go-around for any reason. They simply cannot. Secondly we dont ask permission for a missed approach - we TELL atc that is what we are doing. Some of the reporting i have read on this incident in the last hour or so is totally pathetic.

An Airport authority can close an airport due weather conditions but they will NEVER EVER deny a missed approach to any airplane for any reason - they cannot. I find it somewhat hard to believe the crew asked for permission - we dont do it.

Not actually correct. Each runway at an airport has a published missed approach procedure which is followed in the event of a go around. These procedures are to ensure that conflicts with other departing traffic / Arriving traffic and terrain are all clear. IE you can make a missed approach not talk to anyone (ie ATC) and by following the procedure you are safe from conflict.

I concur with dekka. I was once a pilot myself (light aircraft) & at no time will any atc disallow a go-around.

I have been in a similar situation in a PA-28 - a storm chased me & actually had caught up with me by the time I was on finals. The airspace & aerodrome were uncontrolled. The visual on the windsock (an 18 knot windsock) showed full & perfectly horizontal, perpendicular to the runway (only had one runway). The crosswind component of the aircraft was about 18 knots & I guessed that the actual crosswind was 20-30 knots, gusting. I had no choice but to put the aircraft down.

I landed on the grass after the worst (or was it the best?) sideslip landing ever. Sweating like a pig with heart jumping out of my chest, I walked away.

I would've hated to be in the situation of the Phuket pilot...everything happens in split seconds when you are in command of an aircraft. It's worse in a high speed aircraft.

Actually the basic audiogram you are given is not that accurate due to background noise equipment tests etc. all pilots that are marginal are given an audiogram on more accurate equipment - its no big deal happens every day on class 1 medicals.

I appreciate you dekka, you are replying very sensibly and logically to some non-sense and non-logical replies. :D

For those who are trying to find fault in every event, just realize that it is not that we can control everything, there are situations when we lose control. So far, nothing is clear whether it is the fault of pilot or not, so why to bash anyone now :o