Flight OG269: At Least 88 Bodies Found At Phuket Airport Crash Site

george

The hospitals have detailed the nationalities from the crash as: Australian: 1, Austrian: 1, British: 8, Dutch:1, German: 4, Iranian: 3, Irish: 3, Italian: 1, Swedish: 2, Thai: 14.

Total = 38 therefore 86 people have no need of treatment. Let's hope many walked away.

Read the title to this thread "At least 74 bodies..." I don't think anyone walked away !

BBC now say death toll stands at 87. A terrible terrible tragedy.

Edited by baabaabobo

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a question for the pilots who are reading this thread.
Given the speed and intensity of the squalls that hit Phuket, without warning

is there equipment available ( radar ??) that can monitor the intensity , position and path of squalls and predict the likelihood of wind shear gusts ?

Yes there is rain radar. It's even on-line http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/phuketLoop.html

I check it often. But wind shear is another factor all togther. Don't think that sort of information can be mesured in time to alert pilots landing.

Several inappropriate/insensitive posts have been removed. Please remember that first and foremost that this is a tragedy with the loss of many lives, all with friends and relatives. Further type of comments like before will be dealt with firmly. Thank you for understanding.

THANK YOU....

... It was a planecrash and the investigation of the FAA will show the results/reasons..... ...

Err.. does the FAA have jusistiction in Thailand?

sorry for this mistake...it should be the ICAO ....finally: whoever investigate is most trustworthy to judge... guessing around is not what i prefer...and it makes this accident not unhappen.

The hospitals have detailed the nationalities from the crash as: Australian: 1, Austrian: 1, British: 8, Dutch:1, German: 4, Iranian: 3, Irish: 3, Italian: 1, Swedish: 2, Thai: 14.

Total = 38 therefore 86 people have no need of treatment. Let's hope many walked away.

Your post doesnt make sense to me considering the news reports already comfirmed 80 something fatalities. Or maybe I'm missing something jomtienbob????

Edited by wadsy

a question for the pilots who are reading this thread.
Given the speed and intensity of the squalls that hit Phuket, without warning

is there equipment available ( radar ??) that can monitor the intensity , position and path of squalls and predict the likelihood of wind shear gusts ?

Yes there is rain radar. It's even on-line http://www2.tmd.go.th/radar/phuketLoop.html

I check it often. But wind shear is another factor all togther. Don't think that sort of information can be mesured in time to alert pilots landing.

They did some experiments I believe. Here's the link to an interesting article

http://www.ll.mit.edu/AviationWeather/WW-10290.pdf

Isnt it completely pointless and speculating on the cause of the crash?

Most of us are laymen on here. Even those who have some experience of flying, were neither at the scene, nor on the plane. There could be any number of factors involved, the weather, wind speed and direction are just one of them.

Please see update info at the Swedish Newspaper online for information on

of the passengers taken to Bangkokphuket Hospital at www.scandasia.com

(for a list of all nationalities)

Deputy Phuket Governor Worapot Rattasima said a total of 74 bodies found at the crash site, 14 still missing and 42 survived.

Updated list of injured passengers in Phuket as following:

Bangkok-Phuket Hospital

1.Mr Gilles Thibud - France

2.Mr Lamere Maurice, 23 - France

3.Mr Inntrn Burket, 23 - Ireland

Vachira Phuket Hospital

1. Sawitree Dani

2. Bare Bercom

3. Apichart Bata

Siriroj - Phuket Hospital

1. Likhit Liengpansakul - ICU

2. Parinwit Choosaeng - ICU

3. Chainarong maharae - ICU

4. Apichart Pata

5. Eric Nihlen (Sweden)

6. Christopher Marken (Sweden)

7. Nong Kaonual

8. Ladda Kaonual

9. Pratin Lienchamroon

10. Sara (unknown surname) (Netherland)

16.09.07 20.32

Bangkok-Phuket Hospital is now treating 30 injured passengers from One-Two-Go plane crash incident. Seven Thais and Twenty-three foreigners: Five are severely injured, three severely burnt and two with broken bones. There are 24 men, six women and 28 of them has to be hospitalized.

Foreigners injured in Bangkok-Phuket Hospital divided by nationalities are British(8), German(4), Irish(3), Iran(3), Austrian(1), Australian(1) and Italian(1). According to Bangkok-Phuket Hospital the first injured passenger arrived the hospital at 16.41.

Tables below are details of injured passengers at Bangkok-Phuket Hospital.

Bangkok Phuket Hospital 7:51:47 PM

HN No Name Gender Age Nation

17:49 05-00-011951 BORLAND ROBERT MR. Male 48 AUSTRALIAN (ออสเตรเลีย) -ออสเตรเลีย Superficial injury of head

17:03 05-00-012498 วิชชุพล สิงหะพล นาย Male 25 THAI Superficial injury of head

17:51 05-07-020517 JOHN GERARD O'DONNELL MR. Male 50 IRISH (สาธารณรัฐไอร์แลนด์) -ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

16:58 05-07-022513 ไพบูลย์ ผาพันธ์ นาย Male 39 THAI Superficial injury of head

17:00 05-07-022514 CHRISTOPH FALCHETTI MR. Male 36 GERMAN (เยอรมัน) - ยุโรป Sprain and strain of joints and ligaments of other and unspecified parts of neck

17:01 05-07-022515 MILDRED ANNE FURLONG MS. Female 23 CANADIAN (แคนาดา) -อเมริกาเหนือ Muscle strain

17:02 05-07-022516 MARCEL SQUINOBAL MR. Male 37 AUSTRIAN (ออสเตรีย) -ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

17:20 05-07-022517 BENJAMIN ZACHARY GREEN MR. Male 24 BRITISH (อังกฤษ) -ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

17:07 05-07-022518 PETER JAMES HILL MR. Male 35 BRITISH (อังกฤษ) -ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

17:08 05-07-022519 CLAUS BENJAMIN VOIGTMANN MR. Male 24 GERMAN (เยอรมัน) - ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

17:10 05-07-022520 CLEMENS ROTHMANN MR. Male 27 GERMAN (เยอรมัน) - ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

17:11 05-07-022521 ASHLEY SCOTT HARROW MR. Male 27 BRITISH (อังกฤษ) -ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

17:14 05-07-022522 CLAUDIA ROTHMANN MISS. Female 25 GERMAN (เยอรมัน) - ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

17:17 05-07-022523 MARYAU MIRTAHERI MRS. Female 34 IRANIAN (อิหร่าน) -ตะวันออกกลาง

17:18 05-07-022524 MAHSA FATOORECHI MRS. Female 39 BRITISH (อังกฤษ) -ยุโรป Fracture of rib

17:20 05-07-022525 MENRDHU KIYANI MISS. Female 6 IRANIAN (อิหร่าน) -ตะวันออกกลาง

17:22 05-07-022526 CLAUS BENJAMIN VOIGTMANN MR. Male 24 DUTCH (เนเธอร์แลนด์) -ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

17:25 05-07-022527 RED2 (ชาวต่างชาติ) MS. Female 30 BRITISH (อังกฤษ) -ยุโรป

17:29 05-07-022528 HASHEM PARVIZ MR. Male 40 IRANIAN (อิหร่าน) -ตะวันออกกลาง Superficial injury of head

17:31 05-07-022529 HASHAM MADIA MISS. Female 5 IRANIAN (อิหร่าน) -ตะวันออกกลาง Open wound of eyelid and periocular area with or without involvement of lacrimal passages

17:36 05-07-022530 MOVAHED ABBAS KIYANI MR. Male 37 ITALIAN (อิตาลี) -ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

17:40 05-07-022531 CHRISTOPHER COOLEY MR. Male 23 BRITISH (อังกฤษ) -ยุโรป

17:41 05-07-022532 RED6 (ชาวไทย) นางสาว Female 22 THAI

17:43 05-07-022533 ปรวิทย์ มหาทรัพย์ นาย Male 41 THAI Superficial injury of head

17:56 05-07-022534 WILLIAM BURKE MR. Male 23 BRITISH (อังกฤษ) -ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

18:02 05-07-022535 RED7 (ชาวต่างชาติ) MR. Male 30 BRITISH (อังกฤษ) -ยุโรป

18:24 05-07-022536 VLADIMIR FREYLIKHMAN MR. Male 29 IRISH (สาธารณรัฐไอร์แลนด์) -ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

18:26 05-07-022537 ISABELLA FREYLIKHMAN MS. Female 28 IRISH (สาธารณรัฐไอร์แลนด์) -ยุโรป Superficial injury of head

19:47 05-07-022538 อรศิลป์ แสงบุญเรือง นางสาว Female 27 THAI

17:18 05-96-012758 เชาวเลิศ จิตต์จำนงค์ นาย Male 48 THAI Superficial injury of head

17:05 05-96-015825 ชาตรี สุขสวัสดิ์ นาย Male 26 THAI Superficial injury of head

16:54 05-99-002389 ชวิศ จิตต์จำนงค์ เด็กชาย Male 11 THAI Superficial injury of head

16.09.07 19.30

Thai domestic airliner One Two Go flight OG 269 from Bangkok to Phuket exploded and broke in two after it slid off the runway and crashed into nearby walls at Phuket airport on Sunday afternoon. Swedish Christopher Marken and Erik Nihlen was sent to Siriroj Hospital with minor injuries. They are now at Swedish Consulate in Phuket.

The death toll now is confirmed at about 60, most of them are foreigners. There were 44 Thais on the plane and 76 foreigners. About 40 injured passengers were sent to Bangkok-Phuket Hospital, Talang Hospital, Wachira Phuket Hospital and Siriroj Hospital. The nationalities of those onboard is also unknown, but Phuket is a highly popular destination for overseas tourists.

Civil aviation official Chiasak Angkauwan said, "the airplane asked to land but due to the weather in Phuket strong wind and heavy rain maybe the pilot did not see the runway clearly."

The airliner services Bangkok-Phuket flights six times a week. The ill-fated airline left Don Muang airport at about 2.30pm. Information now coming in said the plane, which was being used by local budget travel company, One-to-Go Airline, had 123 passengers and five crew.

Eye-witnesses said the impact of the crash caused the plane to break in two and they heard a series of explosions.

Rescue teams and navy personnel were involved in the rescue operation. All flights in and out of the Phuket airport have been cancelled.

Your post doesnt make sense to me considering the news reports already comfirmed 80 something fatalities. Or maybe I'm missing something jomtienbob????

38 survivors.

Naka.

Update: 88 dead, Phuket Airport closed till Monday

PHUKET: – Services at Phuket International Airport were suspended while airport workers and emergency personnel cleared the runway of wreckage in the aftermath of the horrendous crash of a budget passenger airliner Sunday afternoon.

Meanwhile, the unofficial death toll rose to 88, with 42 persons injured, and mainly hospitalised.

At least 29 people were confirmed to have survived, including two Australians.

Before leaving Bangkok for Phuket together with many senior officials of the ministry, Thailand's Deputy Minister of Transport Sansern Wongcha-um on Sunday evening said that the airport in the southern province is expected to resume operations on Monday morning, at 6 am.

About 1,000 passengers could not travel after four flights were cancelled: three Bangkok-bound and the fourth for Hong Kong

The passenger jet operated by Thai budget carrier One-Two-Go skidded off a runway at Phuket International Airport during a landing attempt amid heavy rain and strong crosswinds. The aircraft – identified as an MD 82 model – broke into two sections before bursting into flame in both wings and the rear section of the broken aircraft, according to acting Airports of Thailand (AoT) director Kalya Pakakrong.

The plane's passenger list included 123 persons plus seven crew members, many of whom are feared dead.

The cause of the fatal incident is now being investigated, according to Transport Minister Admiral Thira Haocharoen.

--Bangkok Post/Agencies 2007-09-16

Isnt it completely pointless and speculating on the cause of the crash? ...

Yes of course it's pointless, but it is interesting. This is not a professional forum - we are all laymen here of some sort or another.

What I do find pointless and even macabre is the arguing over how many are dead, with constant updates of numbers. What does it matter?: the answer is a lot.

Updated list of injured passengers in Phuket as following:

Bangkok-Phuket Hospital

1.Mr Gilles Thibud - France

2.Mr Lamere Maurice, 23 - France

3.Mr Inntrn Burket, 23 - Ireland

Vachira Phuket Hospital

1. Sawitree Dani

2. Bare Bercom

etc etc etc

This is one thing that I don't like about the media in certain countries...sick, injured or dead people are shown openly. The world can see all their 'bits'. Even details of injuries are given. I just hope that I am never involved in one of these catastrophes. I would be highly annoyed that somebody took advantage of my incapacities & invaded my privacy in this manner.

Harding said he landed at Phuket on another One-Two-Go airliner that landed five minutes before the plane crash.

"It was the roughest landing I've ever experienced," he said. "I've never been through anything like that."

Harding, who lives in the resort town of Phuket, said the plane "knocked up against a hill."

Correction:

Harding said that he took airplane from NEW Airport, however 12Go is only departing from OLD Airport. He and his mate decided randomly to travel to Phuket without having a flight confirmation and went to NEW Airport from where they booked themselves on next available flight......Air Asia, is only budget carrier still using NEW airport...so it was by pure chance that they were not on this flight....

How can be this......i think thailand has a law,

that says, it is not allowed for a non thai citizen

to fly an airplane inbound???

Incorrect.

That is the most rediculous thing I ever read (until I read the rest of your post!).

Do you really think that EVERY airline in the world has to employ a Thai pilot so they can land/transit in Thailand?

Think about what you are going say before you open your mouth (or add forum posts).

From the NY Times commenting on the crash:

"Orient Thai airlines, the international arm of One-Two-GO, was warned about its safety procedures last year.

South Korea’s Ministry of Construction and Transportation issued a warning in March 2006 to Orient Thai and two other budget carriers for “frequent delays and substandard safety measures,” according to the Korea Times newspaper.

The ministry said that Orient Thai, which operated flights from Inchon, South Korea to Bangkok and Phuket, did not update its safety and operational regulation manuals and that fire extinguishers and oxygen tanks were not in working condition."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/world/as...amp;oref=slogin

From the NY Times commenting on the crash:

"Orient Thai airlines, the international arm of One-Two-GO, was warned about its safety procedures last year.

South Korea’s Ministry of Construction and Transportation issued a warning in March 2006 to Orient Thai and two other budget carriers for “frequent delays and substandard safety measures,” according to the Korea Times newspaper.

The ministry said that Orient Thai, which operated flights from Inchon, South Korea to Bangkok and Phuket, did not update its safety and operational regulation manuals and that fire extinguishers and oxygen tanks were not in working condition."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/16/world/as...amp;oref=slogin

Worrying when you consider the MD80 series of aircraft have know issues if not kept to a tight service schedule

http://stage6.divx.com/user/B787/video/155...Cutting-Corners

Just to comment again re the weather. I was in my hotel at the time which is 600 metres from the airport terminal. The weather was monsoon rain. But at the approximate landing time there was a very sudden 'squall', with very strong winds and dense, driving rain. If a plane was trying to land in that squall, my non-expert view is that it would not be able to land.

Simon

Speculation as to what the cause of an airline accident although interesting for us to chat about have no basis of accuracy and conclusions are best left to the accident investigation team findings. That being said, if the above posters weather observations are accurate, two of the factors that I personally would be looking into as possible contributing factors (not necessarily cause) in the accident based what we know so far are wind shear and a possible microburst scenario.

Just to comment again re the weather. I was in my hotel at the time which is 600 metres from the airport terminal. The weather was monsoon rain. But at the approximate landing time there was a very sudden 'squall', with very strong winds and dense, driving rain. If a plane was trying to land in that squall, my non-expert view is that it would not be able to land.

Simon

Speculation as to what the cause of an airline accident although interesting for us to chat about have no basis of accuracy and conclusions are best left to the accident investigation team findings. That being said, if the above posters weather observations are accurate, two of the factors that I personally would be looking into as possible contributing factors (not necessarily cause) in the accident based what we know so far are wind shear and a possible microburst scenario.

Does the Phuket Airport have Doppler radar?

Bangkok-Phuket Hospital, Talang Hospital, Siriroj Hospital and Wachira Phuket Hospital are now treating injured passengers from One-Two-Go plane crash incident.

post-27080-1189956888_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1189957019_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1189957164_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1189957237_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1189957368_thumb.jpg

The death toll now is confirmed at about 80, most of them are foreigners.

post-27080-1189957822_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1189955829_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1189955978_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1189957697_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1189956186_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1189956416_thumb.jpg

post-27080-1189956758_thumb.jpg

List of passengers injured in the Phuket plane crash at Phuket Airport treated at Siriroj Phuket Hospital and Krungthep Phuket Hospital (updated)

Krungthep- Phuket Hospital

(From Thaland Hospital)

- Mr Inntrn Burket, 23 - Ireland

- Mr John O' Donnel, 26 - Ireland

- Ms Isabella Freylikhman, 27 - Ireland

- Mr Robert Borland, 48 - Australia

- Mr Viaimir Freylikhma, 29 - Ireland

- Mr Christopher Edward Cooley, 23 - Ireland

- Mr Gilles Thibud - France

- Mr Lamere Maurice, 23 - France

----------------------------------------------------------

Krungthep - Phuket Hospital

- Chawit Jitchamnong

- Chavalert Litchamnong

- Paiboon Papong

- Christov Fachestee (Germany)

- Marsal Chwinnoras (Australia)

- Peter James Hill (England)

- Watcharaphol Singhaphol

- Ashley Scott Harow (England)

- Mayal Metali (Iran)

- Benjamin Criffin (England)

- Jules - England

- Parish - Iran

- Hazmadi - Iran

- Mobahed Kiyani - Italy

- Christopher Cooley - England

- Lace - Thai

- Worawit Mahasap - Thai

- Warren Robert - Australia

- Jan Jerra O'Donnel - Ireland

- William Berg _ UK

Vachira Phuket Hospital

1. Sawitree Dani

2. Bare Bercom

3. Apichart Bata

Siriroj - Phuket Hospital

- ICU

1. Likhit Liengpansakul - ICU

2. Parinwit Choosaeng - ICU

3. Chainarong maharae - ICU

4. Apichart Pata

5. Eric Nihlen (Sweden)

6. Christopher Marken (Sweden)

7. Nong Kaonual

8. Ladda Kaonual

9. Pratin Lienchamroon

10. Sara (unknown surname) (Netherland)

* Foreign names's correct spellings need to be updated.

Source: The Nation 2007-09-16

Passenger manifest of the Phuket plane crash

(Bangkok Post)

PASSENGER MANIFEST

Flight OG 269, operated by airline One-Two-Go

* denotes those who have been confirmed survived.

1.Mr Werner Adelhardt

2.Ms Uly Alon

3.Mr Alain Bemearon

4.Mrs Brigitte Bino

5.Mr Itzhak Biton

6.Mr Alexius Boerkamp*

7.Mr Jeanmarie Bonachera

8.Mrs Josiane Bonachera

9.Mr Chawapon Boonmeechai

10.Mrs Wanaporn Boonsung

11.Mr Robert Borland*

12.Mr Philippe Bregeard

13.Mr William Burke*

14.Mr Sinchai Chaiarun

15.Mr Jakkapon Chairitinanon

16.Mr Parinyawith Choosang*

17.Mr Alexander Collins

18.Mr Chirstopher Cooley*

19.Mr Jesada Dechakul

20.Mr Colin Denny

21.Mrs Sawitree Denny*

22.Ms Hofit Eliya

23.Mr Christoph Falchetti*

24 Mr Michael Falcone

25 Mrs Mahsa Fatoorehchi*

26.Ms Arisa Fayad

27.Ms Tal Feldman

28.Ms Isabella Freylikhman*

29 Mr Vladimir Freylikhman*

30 Ms Anne Furlong*

31 Mrs Laetitia Gambu

32 Ms Hila Gershoni

33 Mr Saeid Ghayoumi

34 Ms Sansa Ghayoumi

35 Mr Scott Harrow*

3 Ms Madia Hashemi*

37 Mr Parviz Hashemi*

38 Mr Peter Hill*

39 Mrs Susan Howell

40.Mrs Sara Izadine

41.Chawit Jitjamnong*

42 Mr Chowalert Jitjamnong*

43 Mrs Siriphut Jitjamnong

44.Mr Alireza Jodatfar

45 Mr Jahangir Jodatfar

46 Mr Mohammadreza Jodatfar

47 Ms Bethan Jones

48.Mr Simon Jonsson

49 Ms Khatha Kanchanasutha

50 Mrs Ladda Khawnoun*

51 Mr Nong Khawnoun*

52 Mr Nasser Bonab

53 Ms Mehrana Movahed*

54 Mr Abbas Movahed*

55 Ms Mullika Koysin

56 Mr Chakart Kulwanich

57 Ms Pratin Lainjumroon*

58 Mr Thibaud Lamere

59 Mr Sudprasong Laosiriwut

60 Mr Likhit Liengphansakul*

61 Ms Fermina Macaire

62 Mr Henri Macaire

63 Mr Chainarong Maharae*

64 Mr Porrawit Mahasup*

65 Mr Teerayuth Manoorakchinakorn

66 Mr Christopher Markensven*

67 Mr Jacques Marnef

68 Ms Kaninnat Martmuang

69 Ms Wantana Meesang

70 Ms Amnuj Meesil

71 Ms Maryam Taheri

72 Ms Mojgan Mohebbianjedani

73 Ms Fereshteh Mokhlesukhchi

74 Mr Brain Mullery

75) Mr Di Naima

76) Ms Rotem Naouri

77) Mr Magnus Nihler

78) Mr John O'Donnell*

79) Mrs Homeira Omdeekhodaitehrani

80) Mrs Pranee Panyakong

81) Mr Paiboon Phaphan*

82) Mr Sanya Phromarak

83) Mr Rasqul Pourmehr

84) Mr Mahmoud Pourmehr

85) Mr Suchip Prantoon

86) Ms Puengboon Ratnadilok na Phuket

87) Mr Raj Rattanaphon

88) Ms Claudia Rothmann*

89) Mr Clemens Rothmann*

90) Mr Pichai Rueathong

91) Mr Mehoi Safaebtabrizi

92) Ms Cho Safaebtabrizi

93) Mr Hossein Safaebtabrizi

94) Mr Thanavut Saikay

95) Ms Fahimeh Salek

96) Ms Linnea Sandberg

97) Ms Patcharin Sattayapongsaporn

98) Mr Stephen Saunby

99) Ms Busakon Saunjarun

100) Ms Sabine Schumacher

101) Ms Supalak Shueaw

102) Mrs Benchawan Sichaiin

103) Mr Witchupol Singhapol*

104) Mrs Helen Slater

105) Mr Neil Slater

106) Mr Marcel Squinobal*

107) Mr Chatree Suksawas*

108) Mr Somphot Sungkhaphong

109) Ms Jiranuch Suwannarat

110) Mr Farshas Tazhibi

111) Mrs Yajai Thanyakarn

112) Ms Rachel Toland

113) Mr Aaron Toland

114) Mr Apichai Trompronpitakkul

115) Mrs Siriluk Tuptanee

116) Mr Sirikorn Unsakul

117) Mrs Somluk Unsakul

118) Mr Meysam Valaie

119) Mr Benjamin Voigtmann*

120) Mr Francis Weston

121) Mrs Mary Weston

122) Ms Marie Whittington*

123) Mr Stefan Woronoff

Edited by onethailand

It would appear that people are now starting to wash their hands of responsibility. The statement made by One2Go on television tonight, went down the lines of, we are not responsible. When it comes to Thailand it appears that no matter which way you look at it. Thai's and Falang get treated differently.

Ill-fated One-Two-Go aircraft not covered by local insurance

The One-Two-Go McDonnell Douglas MD 82 that crashed in Phuket on Sunday was not covered by local insurance, said Chantra Purnariksha, the head of the Office of the Insurance Commission.

Chantra said it is not yet known whether the aircraft, which was leased by OneTwoGo from a foreign company, is covered by foreign insurance or not, something that the insurance commission still needs to find out.

However, airline companies normally buy insurance to cover both the aircraft in operation and passengers.

Chantra said foreign passengers usually have their own life and accident insurance, but Thai passengers, who are now being treated at local hospitals, will be able to get compensation from OneTwoGo, which will have to pay hospital bills immediately. The airline can claim those costs from its foreign insurers later.

Chantra said that the General Insurance Association had confirmed that OneTwoGo did not have local insurance for the MD 82 that crashed. He added that he will try to find out whether the foreign owner of the MD 82, which had leased it to OneTwoGo, had insurance for the aircraft.

Relatives of the deceased from the accident seeking to claim damages from the provincial insurance office can call 1122 for further information. Payment and compensation will only be delivered after DNA verification checks have been conducted.

By Achara Pongvuthitham

Edited by aqua4

How can be this......i think thailand has a law,

that says, it is not allowed for a non thai citizen

to fly an airplane inbound???

Incorrect.

That is the most rediculous thing I ever read (until I read the rest of your post!).

Do you really think that EVERY airline in the world has to employ a Thai pilot so they can land/transit in Thailand?

Think about what you are going say before you open your mouth (or add forum posts).

Yes, that was a daft thing for the poster to say RJJ, but I bit my tongue.

I think he’s mixed up with a law I fell foul of when trying to import my helicopter into Phuket. No non-Thai may act as P1 on a commercial Thai (HS) registered aircraft. Helicopters are worse: no non-Thai may even be issued a rotary licence. I could not covert mine. I was told I would have to employ Thai pilots, and could not fly even non-revenue or positioning flights myself. I gave up.

So, if this rule applies to Thai airlines, as I’m sure it does, this airline should have Thai nationals as captains, so I can’t see how he could legally have been an Indonesian. Not that it really matters since all are presumably trained to the same standard.

The only possible get-out if no local pilots are available, which would only happen with rare a/c types.

To TV and all posters,

Such terrible news. Condolences to all suffering from this tragedy.

A side note: Having been frustrated and openly critical of TV

in the past, I am impressed with the amount of information here.

From the retired (or active) pilots to the moderators: George et al,

and all those commenting, asking and providing info - well done.

I know TV is working to create more community in Thailand thru

BBQ's etc. Well, done folks. Reading TV tonight I sense real community

here and to day it is wonderful to see. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy

and grateful to be safe and dry in my home. Thank you, TV and all those

contributing here.