Flight OG269: At Least 88 Bodies Found At Phuket Airport Crash Site

george

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't take investigative journalism by Australian reporters very seriously. It's rare to spot them anywhere but the rooftop of the Maneeya Center with the Bangkok Sports Club in the backround reporting "live" from Thailand! Bridge walkway to the skytrain, stop off at the pub, stumble home and back to the Maneeya in the morning bright and early in time for lunch...

You are quite correct. There was only one Australian killed in the accident so you might ask why Australian CH9 film crew were interested. Message clear "Australians do not fly on asian airlines fly only with Qantas or Jetstar"

Australian media is generally biased when it comes to reporting in SE Asia.

I take it you have booked you and your familys next holiday on 1-2-GO?

I somewhat doubt the Australian media in totality are advocates for Qantas (if they had a similar accident they would be after them), and like in most western countries they can say what they like, but are well aware can be sued if they get it completely wrong. Never the less keep on believing that all is fine with local low cost airways. :o

Maybe this chap should fly 1-2-Go often if he (she) thinks it is safe - might do the world good. They have found another gene pool editor - and the world certainly could use some editing of the gene pool - but the world could certainly do with out the likes of 1-2-Go. If it take an Australian news program to open some eyes then so be it - for whatever reason.

I wouldn't take investigative journalism by Australian reporters very seriously. It's rare to spot them anywhere but the rooftop of the Maneeya Center with the Bangkok Sports Club in the backround reporting "live" from Thailand! Bridge walkway to the skytrain, stop off at the pub, stumble home and back to the Maneeya in the morning bright and early in time for lunch...

You are quite correct. There was only one Australian killed in the accident so you might ask why Australian CH9 film crew were interested. Message clear "Australians do not fly on asian airlines fly only with Qantas or Jetstar"

Australian media is generally biased when it comes to reporting in SE Asia.

I take it you have booked you and your familys next holiday on 1-2-GO?

I somewhat doubt the Australian media in totality are advocates for Qantas (if they had a similar accident they would be after them), and like in most western countries they can say what they like, but are well aware can be sued if they get it completely wrong. Never the less keep on believing that all is fine with local low cost airways. :o

Maybe this chap should fly 1-2-Go often if he (she) thinks it is safe - might do the world good. They have found another gene pool editor - and the world certainly could use some editing of the gene pool - but the world could certainly do with out the likes of 1-2-Go. If it take an Australian news program to open some eyes then so be it - for whatever reason.

Unless proven otherwise by a Regulatory Authority this airline is safe to fly with, it is a "low cost" airline and you get what you pay for. I would fly with them if I had to.The question is did this airline have public risk insurance? Of course if you knew in advance if an aircraft was going to crash you would not fly on it.

As an Australian I know too well that our commercial media is only interested in ratings and entertainment they sometimes let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I might add that I have flown in many single and twin engined aircraft over the years in what is known as the general aviation industry so flying does not bother me.

[

Unless proven otherwise by a Regulatory Authority this airline is safe to fly with, it is a "low cost" airline and you get what you pay for. I would fly with them if I had to.The question is did this airline have public risk insurance? Of course if you knew in advance if an aircraft was going to crash you would not fly on it.

As an Australian I know too well that our commercial media is only interested in ratings and entertainment they sometimes let the truth get in the way of a good story.

I might add that I have flown in many single and twin engined aircraft over the years in what is known as the general aviation industry so flying does not bother me.

YUP, your Australian all right.

Enjoy your flight, go and prepare the way. Troll

Yes I would if I had to, but I do not for the very reason that there are many other airlines available that give better service.

Yes I am an Australian citizen and I have the right to have my opinions on our media, unlike yourself a foreigner and if I am not mistaken a citizen of the USA.

"Had to" in this sense means "having no alterative".

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't find this story posted elsewhere. Apologies if it is:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/260408_News/26Apr2008_news02.php

Airline to get warning in wake of near miss

AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

The Department of Civil Aviation will issue an official warning to One-Two-Go Airlines, requiring its pilots to strictly follow safety standards after an investigation indicated one of its pilots may have failed to do so in a near miss with a Nok Air plane last December...

...Mr Wuthichai said that under aviation safety standards when an autopilot was disengaged the pilot had to turn his plane either left or right by 45 degrees to leave his flight route.

The One-Two-Go pilot failed to follow this procedure, while air traffic controllers also failed to monitor the situation or give instructions. The pilot did not report the incident to air traffic controllers, which is compulsory.

''Therefore, the department needed to give the airline a warning, telling it to have its pilots strictly follow standard practices,'' Mr Wuthichai said.

Why "may have failed"?? He didn't do what was required of him.

Also the ATC didn't monitor or give instructions, and the pilot didn't report it to the ATC.

I wonder how many people have to fail in their duty before someone gets sacked?

Unless proven otherwise by a Regulatory Authority this airline is safe to fly with,

And what Regulatory Authority would THAT be? If you refer to to the Thai DCA, you are truly ignorant of their capability or intent. Regulatory? That's a contradiction of terms. 'Sweep it under the Rug' Authority is more fitting.

Wow... I am impressed... so go buy your 1-2 Go ticket!

Yes I would if I had to, but I do not for the very reason that there are many other airlines available that give better service.

Yes I am an Australian citizen and I have the right to have my opinions on our media, unlike yourself a foreigner and if I am not mistaken a citizen of the USA.

"Had to" in this sense means "having no alterative".

Had to .... as in put a gun to my head!!

Amazing.... I have NEVER been able to tell a persons nationality on here, unless they came out and said it - You are amazing!!! :D In more ways than one. Get a clue, mate. Mistaken....... :o:D:D

I can't find this story posted elsewhere. Apologies if it is:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/260408_News/26Apr2008_news02.php

Airline to get warning in wake of near miss

AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

The Department of Civil Aviation will issue an official warning to One-Two-Go Airlines, requiring its pilots to strictly follow safety standards after an investigation indicated one of its pilots may have failed to do so in a near miss with a Nok Air plane last December...

...Mr Wuthichai said that under aviation safety standards when an autopilot was disengaged the pilot had to turn his plane either left or right by 45 degrees to leave his flight route.

The One-Two-Go pilot failed to follow this procedure, while air traffic controllers also failed to monitor the situation or give instructions. The pilot did not report the incident to air traffic controllers, which is compulsory.

''Therefore, the department needed to give the airline a warning, telling it to have its pilots strictly follow standard practices,'' Mr Wuthichai said.

Why "may have failed"?? He didn't do what was required of him.

Also the ATC didn't monitor or give instructions, and the pilot didn't report it to the ATC.

I wonder how many people have to fail in their duty before someone gets sacked?

This link was removed shortly after the story published I posted it on Nation Blog and it was copied to PPRuNe ' It is genuine as is the story about Foreign Pilots having to undergo special training to get along with Thai pilots . No Joke

Why is B POst removing the links ?

www.InvestigateUdom.Com

I don't think that there is any evidence that the Thai pilot who was flying at the time of the accident or the Indonesian pilot were overworded or tired at the time of the crash. If the pilots were unfit to fly it is their responsibility to dismiss themselves. You can't blame everything on the bean counters back at home office. These are professional pilots who know the laws.

And how long have you been in Thailand?

And there is testimony the pilot himself had asked to fly only morning flights as he had low blood sugar and was know n to be sleepy in the afternoons .

Check it out

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.ph...2331&page=9

As an aside, Phuket Airport is not rated safe for heavy rain landings . The runway isn't grooved to allow for rainwater runoff.

And the weather was very, very bad at that moment. The flight should have been cancelled and safely remained in Bangkok, that's how it would have been done in a country that gives a dam_n about lives.

This link was removed shortly after the story published I posted it on Nation Blog and it was copied to PPRuNe ' It is genuine as is the story about Foreign Pilots having to undergo special training to get along with Thai pilots . No Joke

Why is B POst removing the links ?

www.InvestigateUdom.Com

The Bkk Post has more than one section for its stories - one for current stories, one for "recent editions" and one for "archives". The link I posted was for the story in the "Recent editions" section - under "Web Services" in the left panel of the front page.

The link that doesn't work is this one (I've added a space so it's not active and you can see the full link):

http: //www.bangkokpost.com/News/26Apr2008_news02.php

The one that does work is (again, space added):

http: //www.bangkokpost.com/260408_News/26Apr2008_news02.php

So it looks like they move the story to the "Recent editions" section and add the date (e.g. "260408_") to the link.

By the way, the link to the story in the "Archive" section is this (again, space added):

http: //archives.mybangkokpost.com/bkkarchives/frontstore/news_detail.html?aid=225692&textcat=General%20News&from=news&click_page=17

- but you need to pay to see all of the text.

Obviously it's difficult for most of us to follow this if we're not involved. But the one's who follow every post are the loved ones. Consider a reputable foreign law firm but be prepared for a country that tries to blame foreigners every chance it gets. From foreign pilots to foreign technicians etc..and so be wary of local lawyers/judiciary.

Edited by thaigene2

Obviously it's difficult for most of us to follow this if we're not involved. But the one's who follow every post are the loved ones. Consider a reputable foreign law firm but be prepared for a country that tries to blame foreigners every chance it gets. From foreign pilots to foreign technicians etc..and so be wary of local lawyers/judiciary.

...and probably the weather, as it came from Burma. :o

Seriously - I'd recommend you consult families of the the foreigners murdered here (see the other threads) about our views regarding the investigations and your country's lack of support (Embassy's don't give a shit about you and your loved ones - I am truly sorry but it's true. You'll learn this - so team up with the others via this Website to FORCE action - you'll get none otherwise - just ask the other familes of violence) via PM's. They'll inform you.

• 1 month later...

InvestigateUdom ( dot ) com has been banned from T Visa for propmoting the website. I'd like to ask that ban be reconsidered she has just put up some new info that proves the pilots were not adhering to regulations at the behst of the managers and that is certainly newsworthy and deserving of posting and discussion on Thai Visa.

InvestigateUdom ( dot ) com has been banned from T Visa for propmoting the website. I'd like to ask that ban be reconsidered she has just put up some new info that proves the pilots were not adhering to regulations at the behst of the managers and that is certainly newsworthy and deserving of posting and discussion on Thai Visa.

I agree 100%.

This is one instance where the rules should be bent. I see that all the posts appear to have been removed too, isn't this somewhat draconian? Since only Admin can ban a member I suspect our requests will fall upon deaf ears :o

Unfortunately I suspect these posts will be removed for contravening the 'no discussion of moderation' rule :D

Edited by Crossy

Seriously - I'd recommend you consult families of the the foreigners murdered here (see the other threads) about our views regarding the investigations and your country's lack of support (Embassy's don't give a shit about you and your loved ones - I am truly sorry but it's true. You'll learn this - so team up with the others via this Website to FORCE action - you'll get none otherwise - just ask the other familes of violence) via PM's. They'll inform you.

Thaigene2 seems to be following close although he leaves some thought in what "we" should be doing.

Here is our story, with suggestions...http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191066

Hope it provides something you are looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

Flight data recorder ( "black box" ) information is in .

Crew at fault .

Pilot initiated a go around but left engines in neutral for 15 seconds.

JFC!!

Pilot relinquished control with no verbal response heard and co pilot did not take control 15 seconds , wind shear whistle alerts were noted 3 times.

-Additionally O 1-2 Go flight crews have NO wind shear training.

And the Virgin Island Co that leases the planes to Orient Thai...

Ms. Wang Chung Wei is a director of GrandMax Group Ltd. Ms. Wei is also known as Ms. Nina Tantiprasongchai, Udom's wife.

JHFC!

• 2 weeks later...

One-Two sued

By Boonsong KositchotethanaFamilies of the victims of the One-Two-Go airlines crash in Phuket last September are preparing to file more than 70 lawsuits in the US courts, demanding compensation of $US400 million - 13.2 billion baht.

The lawsuits name Bangkok-based Orient Thai Airlines and its budget carrier One-Two-Go Airlines as twin defendants.

The families have also asked Thai authorities to file criminal charges against Udom Tantiprasongchai, the chief executive and founder of the two carriers.

Full article here: http://bangkokpost.com/topstories/topstories.php?id=128830

Edited by ChiangMaiAmerican

In case anyone is interested. Interesting link to explain why people are very angry.

http://www.investigateudom.com/timeline.php

Maybe people should censor and boycott such websites that serve to crush noble efforts such as "InverstigateUdom". If there was a banning and censor from a rule abiding website it is a pathetic display of Political Correctness - shame on them.

(Posting for IU)

• The One-Two-Go MD-80 fleet is grounded effective Monday due to public outrage over fraudulent checkrides and lack of proper training.

Where do you get that news from?

From flightglobal.com:

DATE:09/07/08 SOURCE:Flight International

High fuel prices and a faltering economy have led Orient Thai Airlines to scale back the flight operations of its low-cost carrier One-Two-Go and ground half that airline’s fleet of Boeing MD-80-series aircraft.

Orient Thai CEO and managing director Udom Tantiprasongchai says One-Two-Go is only operating five of its 11 MD-80-series aircraft and two months ago it reduced the frequency of its services.

“We reduced services two months ago because the [domestic] economy is so bad,” says Udom.

He says increases in fuel prices are of concern and in Thailand jet fuel prices are higher than in some other countries because airlines have to pay value-added tax.

Udom says One-Two-Go plans to return to service some of its MD-80-series aircraft when the peak tourist season starts in October.