Mae Sai

visionary

About the use of tobacco. As recently as World War 2 cigarettes were advertised as being good for digestion and that it was healthy to have a cigarette after meals. Even though the common opinion was that smoking tobacco was unhealthy it was not proven until very recently.

That is correct and some will deny that it has been proven :o

However that all said and done - we really should get this thread back on topic or that McGriffith guy will be sending me a "yellow card" for off topic posting :D

CB

About the use of tobacco. As recently as World War 2 cigarettes were advertised as being good for digestion and that it was healthy to have a cigarette after meals. Even though the common opinion was that smoking tobacco was unhealthy it was not proven until very recently.

That is correct and some will deny that it has been proven :o

However that all said and done - we really should get this thread back on topic or that McGriffith guy will be sending me a "yellow card" for off topic posting :D

CB

The topic...oh yeah....the topic....what was it now?/???? Oh yeah the original poster wanted to "communicate with people living in Mae Sae engaged in voluntary community projects."

Let's see...how many on topic posts have there been.....I've counted them and I think the tally comes to exactly 1(one)....which is the original post....seems like all else is off topic. Is my assessment accurate? And if so, what should be done about this?

Chownah

If elected I will refuse to serve.

I also can't find the passage in the bible where it instructs people to build ornate cathedrals. It is people who interpret religion and then modify the teachings to suit themselves. I often wonder what Jesus, Mohammed, and the Lord Buddha would think if they came back and saw what people had done to their teachings. :o

CB

Translated in numerous languages and often transcribed by those whose superiors had an agenda beyond the telling of truths.

If those 3 got together it would probably be somewhere natural .. with nary a 'house of worship' in sight.

But to the OP .. one thing you might try is finding Matthew .. if he is still around? I suspect he has chapter and verse on every missionary movement that worked among the hilltribes in and around Maesai. He certainly wasn't shy with his opinion either. :D

See, we're right back on topic.

I also can't find the passage in the bible where it instructs people to build ornate cathedrals. It is people who interpret religion and then modify the teachings to suit themselves. I often wonder what Jesus, Mohammed, and the Lord Buddha would think if they came back and saw what people had done to their teachings. :o

CB

Translated in numerous languages and often transcribed by those whose superiors had an agenda beyond the telling of truths.

If those 3 got together it would probably be somewhere natural .. with nary a 'house of worship' in sight.

But to the OP .. one thing you might try is finding Matthew .. if he is still around? I suspect he has chapter and verse on every missionary movement that worked among the hilltribes in and around Maesai. He certainly wasn't shy with his opinion either. :D

See, we're right back on topic.

Matthew can be found at his website with a lot of information about missionaries.

www.akha.org

I've got a copy of Mathew's book which he gave me one day I happened to see him in Mai Sai.....unfortunately it is not signed. I heard he can't come in the country anymore...and maybe is living in Laos?

I think since none of us lives in Mae Sai that we are all off topic....oh well.

Although the posts have wandered from the original intent, I am more than satisfied with the offboard communiques I have received.Some of the onboard postings have been helpful as well. I feel a bit guilty about the religion bashing but we have all been very leniant compared to Jesus Christ. He had no tolerance for hypocracy. In addition to his public venting he also chased some bad guys out of the temple with a whip and caused a near riot when he toppled the tables of the currency traders. Venting against hypocracy is a clear indication of love of truth and a desire for inspiring role models.

Although the posts have wandered from the original intent, I am more than satisfied with the offboard communiques I have received.Some of the onboard postings have been helpful as well. I feel a bit guilty about the religion bashing but we have all been very leniant compared to Jesus Christ. He had no tolerance for hypocracy. In addition to his public venting he also chased some bad guys out of the temple with a whip and caused a near riot when he toppled the tables of the currency traders. Venting against hypocracy is a clear indication of love of truth and a desire for inspiring role models.

Wonder what his reaction would be to these scumbag missionaries in Chiang Rai