Can Woman Stay In Temple And Pray For Few Days?

bahnoo

Which temple did you have in mind? Temples that run meditation courses (such as Wat Suan Mokh in Chaiya, Surat Thani) allow people stay when the course is not on. Check out Sabaijai's list in the Buddhism forum about Wats offering meditation

Hi sbk

sorry for not being detail. what i meant can thai woman go to the temple and stay for few days to do prayers?

why im asking this question is that my gf just went to temple to pray for 3 days. she told me that she is staying there.

is it true? the temple is at maesai area.

Which temple did you have in mind? Temples that run meditation courses (such as Wat Suan Mokh in Chaiya, Surat Thani) allow people stay when the course is not on. Check out Sabaijai's list in the Buddhism forum about Wats offering meditation

Hi sbk

sorry for not being detail. what i meant can thai woman go to the temple and stay for few days to do prayers?

why im asking this question is that my gf just went to temple to pray for 3 days. she told me that she is staying there.

Yes she can stay at the temple. But this temple is more like a monastery running by "Maechee" or nons. Woman who want to seek some peace of mind, sort things out about their life or just for practice Buddhist learning. You dont need to shave your head but if you just wearing a white garment is good enough cause its not mandatory to shave your head. Some might shaving their hairs and eyebrowns but that must be like for a long term stay. I belive that in Theravada buddhism woman cant be a novice like monks but in Vajrayana buddhism woman have right as equal as man do for being monks.

Maechee (อุบาสิกา) is 1 part of 4 buddhist group of practitioners.

ภิกษุ (Piksu) Is a word to call a monk<LI>ภิกษุณี (Piksunee) Same like above but for female monks<LI>อุบาสก (Ubasok) regular buddhist (male) means literary the one who sit beside the lord Buddha, the one who have a strong faith<LI>อุบาสิกา (Ubasika) regular buddhist (female) the same as above

อุบาสก แปลว่า ผู้นั่งใกล้พระรัตนตรัย หมายถึงผู้ใกล้ชิดพระพุทธศาสนา ผู้นับถือศาสนาอย่างมั่นคง ถ้าเป็นหญิง ใช้ว่า อุบาสิกาอุบาสก แปลว่า ผู้นั่งใกล้พระรัตนตรัย หมายถึงผู้ใกล้ชิด

I hope you get some idea of it and sorry for my english. It's not my mother tongue.

• Like 1

Yes she can stay at the temple. But this temple is more like a monastery running by "Maechee" or nons. Woman who want to seek some peace of mind, sort things out about their life or just for practice Buddhist learning. You dont need to shave your head but if you just wearing a white garment is good enough cause its not mandatory to shave your head. Some might shaving their hairs and eyebrowns but that must be like for a long term stay. I belive that in Theravada buddhism woman cant be a novice like monks but in Vajrayana buddhism woman have right as equal as man do for being monks.

Maechee (อุบาสิกา) is 1 part of 4 buddhist group of practitioners.

ภิกษุ (Piksu) Is a word to call a monk<LI>ภิกษุณี (Piksunee) Same like above but for female monks<LI>อุบาสก (Ubasok) regular buddhist (male) means literary the one who sit beside the lord Buddha, the one who have a strong faith<LI>อุบาสิกา (Ubasika) regular buddhist (female) the same as above

อุบาสก แปลว่า ผู้นั่งใกล้พระรัตนตรัย หมายถึงผู้ใกล้ชิดพระพุทธศาสนา ผู้นับถือศาสนาอย่างมั่นคง ถ้าเป็นหญิง ใช้ว่า อุบาสิกาอุบาสก แปลว่า ผู้นั่งใกล้พระรัตนตรัย หมายถึงผู้ใกล้ชิด

I hope you get some idea of it and sorry for my english. It's not my mother tongue.

Hi konjianghai

Thanks for the info, now i understand.

My wife and 100+ other staff in her department did this a few months back. They went in groups of 25 or so for a week.

They were required to take basic bedding, a floor mat and wear the white robes. They weren’t required to cut their hair. Food was provided and they slept on the floor in one of the temple buildings.

They were allowed mobile phones and cameras but use of the phones was restricted to 30 minutes each evening.

They had meditation sessions a couple of times during the day. Along with the spiritual guidance they received lectures on human development, self improvement and other matters related to their employment.

Hi sbk

You can always pay a respectful visit to the temple to see if she is there or not! It's kind of a bit of a joke amongst young carousing Thai men and women that they will say they are going to the "temple" for a few days. Especially since the cell phone network seems to keep everyone in constant contact. Not to be negative though, many Thai women do actually go to the temple for a few days. My wife often does and the private investigator confirms it!

Hi sbk

My wife is there now and goes regularly. She always returns tired and hungry but with great inner peace. Many, many women go regularly, some stay a long time others a few days. They wear white and some cut their hair, they pray and meditate and take care of the sick or the old. Some go to think, my wife loves it and always tells me the lady monk in charge tells her she will stay forever one day because she enjoys it so much. In truth my wife finds it hard, the sleeping on the mats on the floor, the no eating after the morning (like all Thais, that is the hardest) but she likes to go because its making merit for the future.

Do Buddhist convents exist ? I've always believed that Buddhism was sexist in some ways because all I ever see or hear about is monks. Given that women are as spiritually minded as women why are there no women in the limelight ?

women don't look so good bald (just my humble opinion)

Hi sbk

Yes they can, but its also an excuse I've heard that girls might use if they want to be uncontactable for a few days for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Hi sbk

Yes they can, but its also an excuse I've heard that girls might use if they want to be uncontactable for a few days for whatever reason.

They are always contactable because they all take their phones, they only switch them off for the actual praying. As long as the lady monk in charge is not around they chat as long as they like.

Hi Guys

Not sure anyone know this? Can woman stay in the temple for few days to pray?

example man can actually go to the temple and stay for few days to a mth for praying. can woman do that?

Cheers

I beleive they can stay as long as they like, i took a girl to one and she was going to stay for a while, i never saw her again,. i may be wrong but i dont think there is a minimum or a maximum time,.
  • Like 1

Hi Guys

example man can actually go to the temple and stay for few days to a mth for praying. can woman do that?

Cheers

Women will also go when they have finished or have been finished with in a relationship, and in most of those cases they also cut off their hair, so er indors tells me,.
  • Like 1

Hi sbk

They are always contactable because they all take their phones, they only switch them off for the actual praying. As long as the lady monk in charge is not around they chat as long as they like.

True meditation then.

Hi sbk

Its quite common for Thai women to take a few days off and practice Buddhism in the temple. Not all temples have the appropriate "facilities" for women (eg sleeping areas), but its a good sign for a temple if there are nuns (mai-chees) living there, as it usually indicates that the temple is a good "practicing temple" . Dont know why, but at least thats what I have noticed.

Its true that residents at the temple cant eat food after noon, so she will probably be hungry and most likely bored out of her brain because there is not a lot of activities to do, so why not make a visit to the temple and tempt her with some food, you can have a chance to practice Buddhism if you want or at least learn something about the monastic lifestyle.

Hi Guys

Cheers

Women will also go when they have finished or have been finished with in a relationship, and in most of those cases they also cut off their hair, so er indors tells me,.

ur gonna get him worried now,

a possibility yes.

people often go to the temple when they are suffering.

Hi sbk

True meditation then.

Ten days is a long time and my wife gets lonely and wants to find out how the family is doing. This morning she was up at 3.30 and after praying and making food she wanted to talk, so she walks outside to phone so as not to disturb the others, but you are right there may not be so much deep meditation as a chance to serve the others. I think my wife gets most pleasure from helping the permanent ones and also its a bit like giving up chocolate for lent...they look forward to the end. Being Thai as well they believe that good fortune requires making merit. I know if my wife has any problems with her family or worries a spell in the temple works wonders. One of the ladies there is a recovering schizophrenic and my wife said the improvement in her during the month she has been there, because my wife was there when she first came, and now, is amazing.

thanks for all the info. i have a better understanding now.

i call my thai friend in bangkok and she told me which temple u go to. some temples dont really alot u to talk on the phone. so it all depends.

anyway it really go to know. just wanna clear my doubts on this. thanks

• Like 1

• 10 years later...
On 9/18/2007 at 3:45 PM, konjianghai said:

Woman

My fiancé is currently at the temple for a week now, although I suffer anxiety of her being non contactable. She texted “when she’s ready” she will call...up to her she says 

Edited by Adrian H

51 minutes ago, Adrian H said:

My fiancé is currently at the temple for a week now, although I suffer anxiety of her being non contactable. She texted “when she’s ready” she will call...up to her she says 

In worst case, there could be a 'brother' involved....

• Like 1

On 9/21/2007 at 2:15 AM, mikethevigoman said:
bahnoo said:
Hi Guys

Cheers

I beleive they can stay as long as they like, i took a girl to one and she was going to stay for a while, i never saw her again,. i may be wrong but i dont think there is a minimum or a maximum time,.

sister in law started making regular visits here, after recovering from near death hospitisations.

Visits!... yeah, well to this day she's simply stayed!    Here near Amphawa as a Non since 2014 & plans to never permanently  leave...   (sometimes takes a couple of days off, at their brother's home) 

Related image

most women have friends to go with as they activities, you dont see many women going for 3 days without friends . Check with the temple and they can tell you if they have activities

• Like 1

On 9/18/2007 at 2:08 PM, bahnoo said:

Hi sbk

A woman, either Thai or farang, can stay at a temple for her short retreat. Even in the US, we also have Theravade Buddhist Temple to stay for a few days or a week to participate in the monastery lives, take 8 precepts, and practice mindfullness. My farang husband felt uneasy at the first time I left him (just 3 days) for my retreat (at a temple in the US). Once he passed the first time and I came home  a bit better person/wife (not yak, yak, yak -- too much), he accepted my next retreat better. You'll also receive good deed of letting your wife go on her retreat once in a while ?