1 Week Meditation Retreat For A Novice

rambling

It doesn't look like there are 5-7 day courses. They're all at least 10 days. I'll keep looking and/or make other plans. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Ten days is sort of the standards set by the Vipassana school for a "proper" meditation retreat. But, its my understanding that many places will welcome you to stay at the temple for 5-7 days, you just won't get a "course", if that makes sense. Keep looking and check at the pinned thread at the top of the Buddhism forum regarding meditation retreats, if you haven't already.

Hi

I just finished a chan (jana?) meditation at Wat Tamkwanmuang, Sawee District, Chumpon Province. Its method is a bit different from what I have learned before. Only 3 days minimum. Best accomodation. And I know my kilesa has been reduced.

Can you say something about the method you learned, what you practiced before & how they were different?

Hi

I just finished a chan (jana?) meditation at Wat Tamkwanmuang, Sawee District, Chumpon Province. Its method is a bit different from what I have learned before. Only 3 days minimum. Best accomodation. And I know my kilesa has been reduced.

Can you say something about the method you learned, what you practiced before & how they were different?

cm das

As most meditators know, we just sit qietly to rise from first chan to the forth one. And stay there as long as we can. But the method learned at Wat Tamkwanmuang, at chan two, one has to shake one's body to speed 'piti'. After enough time in chan four, we don't just open our eyes to finish it but we must reverse back to lower chan, giving loving-kindness to ourselves and anybody and all creatures at chan three, and devoting our good past gamma to our late, beloved ones, at chan one. To exit, we must turn our face to either left or right side and think of 'out' before opening our eyes. It is said if we don't follow proper stages, we may 'hang' at chan four (ubecca) in daily life and likely to become lazy or indifferent in whatever.

If interested, visit there. I felt like I was staying in a resort because of its atmosphere and surrounding. Its Buddhism rituals are graceful and worth learning.

Two photos, Lord Buddha taken in India, is believed to be his real look, and Luangpaw Suang, the late abbot, who is believed to attain Arahant.

Thanks for the information, Phloiwang.

I was googling this Wat and eventually found it as Wat Tha Kwan Muang. I'll see if I can find any other information. Do you have a contact? What was the process for getting in touch with them and arranging the retreat? Any specific starting dates? Groups?

Hi

Hi ram

Here's its information.

Tel. 077-531100 / www.wattham.org / www.boxboon.com

You can join the retreat any day you wish, at least three days. Just find out from a Thailand map to identify where Sawee District, Chumpon province is. Bring white clothes with you to wear daily. I'm quite sure monks can speak some English.

You don't have to pay for anything but there are many donation boxes there. So in order not to exploit the wat, consider how much you consume its accommodation and give it back as you wish. Learn to follow its rules and daily schedules.

Thank you.

Hi ram

Here's its information.

Tel. 077-531100 / www.wattham.org / www.boxboon.com

You can join the retreat any day you wish, at least three days. Just find out from a Thailand map to identify where Sawee District, Chumpon province is. Bring white clothes with you to wear daily. I'm quite sure monks can speak some English.

You don't have to pay for anything but there are many donation boxes there. So in order not to exploit the wat, consider how much you consume its accommodation and give it back as you wish. Learn to follow its rules and daily schedules.